ADVERTISEMENT

Is there too much outrage from last night?

They didn't lost to Mississippi State last night, or UNC Wilmington, or even a South Carolina or Florida. Tennessee has been a top ten team all year, and for most of the year has been ranked ahead of UK. On paper, the consensus has always been nationwide that UT had a better team, although by a slim margin. Then, add in the fact that UK had key players missing due to injury and some of their key players who were playing, were limited from injury.

What did you all expect? Did you all think that UK team was just going to run away against a top ten team? Many people on here days ago were expecting a UT blowout. And, it was far from a blowout. Are too many fans overreacting over this?
Losing to a top 5 team isn’t that shameful on its own. But when it’s coming off a loss to unranked Florida and it makes 3 of the last 4 including two straight at home….it really amps it up. I generally can take losses. Even 6-11 losses in a season doesn’t exactly spell doom for a March run. But the fact that everyone 90 on us (even when we win) is what concerns me. Big picture, you’re not winning anything meaningful with defense that poor.

I love my cats. But this season feels like having a cavity in a tooth. You know it’s there and you know it’s not gonna get better on its own. It nags at you a little but it doesn’t hurt too bad. It’s annoying but you can handle it. Eventually it will be too far gone and then….real pain

Since you’re a UT fan I understand how it may appear that way to you.

But this isn’t about the Tennessee game alone. It’s about the cumulative impact of the last 5 years. Finally having a glimmer of “we’re back” this season just to get derailed the last 2 weeks by the same glaring issues and lack of connection between the coach and fanbase and what the tradition and historical relevance is here. The lack of care that the Fanbase here is what makes Kentucky different from 95% of cbb programs and the leader of our program has essentially picked a schoolgirl vendetta with those ppl over the last few years instead of being appreciative and embracing the passion. It’s what brings GBB chants to opposing arenas and sells out any neutral site…that same passion that he ridicules.

The reaction isn’t about a single game. It’s about not holding onto Bobby knight for 10 years too long and becoming Indiana but seeing that is closer to reality than anyone would like it to be. We’ve won 1 tournament game in 4 years. We’ve won the SEC 1 time in 5 years (pretty sure it’s 5), not been a 1 seed since 2015, etc. while that may not seem like a big deal to most programs; it is a huge deal to a top 3 program of all time if you want to remain a top 3 program of all time.

The culture here is broken. The head man’s priorities are not aligned with the best interest of the University. This team has 6-7 future NBA players and multiple 1st round picks. The talent is there; not winning enough to be a 2 seed is indicative of his inability or lack of care to coach and how different he is as a coach from 10 years ago. He’s lost is passion for competition and is a glorified guidance counselor to these kids pro careers now….thats fine and dandy as long as we are going to E8s and title games as well….its an issue when we lose 8+ games and early tournament exits and haven’t sniffed a F4 in a decade.

Last edited:
They weren’t 100 points good
I think we’ve overrated ourselves too. I’m pretty well convinced that a team of five star freshmen will find it difficult to compete in this new era. The COVID extra year, NIL money, and the portal have changed the landscape of college sports. Why spend time in the G League when more money can be paid in college? So far, Cal hasn’t adapted. The question is will he and what happens if he doesn’t?

There needs to be more outrage. These shifting sands praising mediocrity destroy programs. Look at IU. They havent been relevant in 37 years.
Look at our Football program.....we've praised mediocrity for years with it and look where we were, a freaking door mat of the conference. If they don't do something with the basketball program, you're going to get the same thing. Auburn is about to pass us in BB

• Love
Reactions: ArcticChar
They didn't lost to Mississippi State last night, or UNC Wilmington, or even a South Carolina or Florida. Tennessee has been a top ten team all year, and for most of the year has been ranked ahead of UK. On paper, the consensus has always been nationwide that UT had a better team, although by a slim margin. Then, add in the fact that UK had key players missing due to injury and some of their key players who were playing, were limited from injury.

What did you all expect? Did you all think that UK team was just going to run away against a top ten team? Many people on here days ago were expecting a UT blowout. And, it was far from a blowout. Are too many fans overreacting over this?
There’s not enough outrage

I get it.

I truly believe based on raw talent along UK should be a #1, 2, or 3 team in the nation. They have a raw talent and talent depth edge over anyone in the SEC. It is so evident when you watch the games. But, there is more than raw talent to winning games. Roster balance, equal distribution of talent across all game phases, strategy, team chemistry, culture, leadership all come in play.

Whatever crazy standard the Georgia football program has now is not set from the fanbase. It comes directly from their head coach. He publicly declares what that standard is and doesn't shy away from it. He says the goal is to beat everybody, without exception. Does anyone know what Cal's standard is? Does he state this at the beginning of the season? Did he state what the goal was going into this year?
Cal's standard is getting his players to the NBA.......when in reality it should be strictly Excellence and winning Championships

How many more Cal apologists do we have to listen to.

I think the warranted "outrage" is a culmination of the poor play over the last seven games and especially giving away the Florida OT game at Rupp!!!

UK fans dreams were over inflated by this top recruiting class, by how well they played during the Canada trip and their decent non conference play.

Most everyone knew the SEC would be tough, but to drop two winnable OT games and then get curb stomped at South Carolina on the road and to be embarrassed by Tennessee at Rupp is inexcusable!!!!!!!!!

Way too much considering Wagner was missing (we are 0-3 when he doesn't play), Mitchell was playing with a bad back and Z was out. Let's see what we do when everybody is healthy.
Everyone but but Adou was healthy for USC. And we got TORCHED. I then got lectured about the “difficulty of road games” when I knew something wasn’t quite right.

Whelp here we are.

The Cal Cult wants everyone to lower their standards for their hero. Whenever he gets an average or decent win they’ll be running their mouths with the trolls pretending all is well. Just like with the Arkansas win. Putting lipstick on that pig….smh lmao

I was under the weather and had nyquil at 730 pm and was out of it till 1130 am this morning. I did not go to KSR or even turn TV on to ESPN to see anything. I still as of 830 pm have not seen 1 clip of the action. I have not read the message boards on specific game thread. I was glad I felt bad as I had that sinking feeling we would lose again.

I am glad I have stayed away today. Tuesday night I will do the same and stay away from the game. I think I will for the remainder of the regular season. Then get back to watching for SEC Tourney and then me and my brother will watch NCAA Tourney together for the first 4 days (hopefully we do better than last year but do not expect it).

I have watched Netflix all day while piddling around the house. Been very upbeat day for me as I have not dwelt on the negative from this past week. We should not be ranked in the top 25 as of Monday afternoon after losing 3 of the last 4 games. Then we can all adjust our thoughts going into post season and maybe just watch games. I will not watch a single game (any basketball for at least a week). If we win a game I will watch the postgame vid clips.

Maybe I will be happier this way. Just do not want to put myself through the ringer watching this stuff Cal calls basketball. (this is the 2nd post I have replied to since yesterday). I will be checking in each day here but not sure I will even look at KSR till next week (meaning the 12th of Feb on).

Reactions: RunninRichie
Even great coaches (not named Rupp) can only take about ten years as head coach at Kentucky. Cal stayed too long and crashed and burned here. And he's now taking the program with him.

Reactions: Jeff Sykes

Tenn is the better team …

I left that game last night wondering why the hell I dropped that $$ and attended. Best part for me was meeting MKG at LexLive after the game.

I'm going to the Ole Miss game during a work trip (company I'm visiting is providing the tickets), and honestly don't want to go.

I'm quickly back to where I was last year - wondering WTF went wrong and how this crap keeps continuing year after year (thanks Cal). I'm also almost on the "get his ass out of here" train, but have been trying to practice more patience in all areas of my life just to reduce stress and anxiety (personal, professional, and sports). I don't know how much more I have, though, with this Calipari garbage.

Elite 8 or Final Four is all that will settle me down. Anything less and I'll be 100% ready for Cal to go.

The cumulative effect justifies the outrage.

Yes, there have been times over the years that we played a team that was better. But at this point, it seems like Tennessee, and others, are better every time we play them, and it's a pleasant surpise when we win.

Kentucky played with heart last night... it's really just coaching.

You have to adjust to your players... play a 2-3 or a 1-3-1 anything really besides Man. If all that fails then sure blame it on the players but right now it's coaching and always has been!

People are frustrated over years of underachieving not just one night of losing.

Since you’re a UT fan I understand how it may appear that way to you.

But this isn’t about the Tennessee game alone. It’s about the cumulative impact of the last 5 years. Finally having a glimmer of “we’re back” this season just to get derailed the last 2 weeks by the same glaring issues and lack of connection between the coach and fanbase and what the tradition and historical relevance is here. The lack of care that the Fanbase here is what makes Kentucky different from 95% of cbb programs and the leader of our program has essentially picked a schoolgirl vendetta with those ppl over the last few years instead of being appreciative and embracing the passion. It’s what brings GBB chants to opposing arenas and sells out any neutral site…that same passion that he ridicules.

The reaction isn’t about a single game. It’s about not holding onto Bobby knight for 10 years too long and becoming Indiana but seeing that is closer to reality than anyone would like it to be. We’ve won 1 tournament game in 4 years. We’ve won the SEC 1 time in 5 years (pretty sure it’s 5), not been a 1 seed since 2015, etc. while that may not seem like a big deal to most programs; it is a huge deal to a top 3 program of all time if you want to remain a top 3 program of all time.

The culture here is broken. The head man’s priorities are not aligned with the best interest of the University. This team has 6-7 future NBA players and multiple 1st round picks. The talent is there; not winning enough to be a 2 seed is indicative of his inability or lack of care to coach and how different he is as a coach from 10 years ago. He’s lost is passion for competition and is a glorified guidance counselor to these kids pro careers now….thats fine and dandy as long as we are going to E8s and title games as well….its an issue when we lose 8+ games and early tournament exits and haven’t sniffed a F4 in a decade.
I wish I could do more than “love “ this post
It is a perfect statement on the state of our program

Reactions: EliteBlue
If it was just last night, then yes. Top 5 team while missing a key player and other banged up. But it’s the just the overall lack of improvement. To me, the Florida loss was the inexcusable loss, especially the way it was lost.

its not Tennessee in isolation, the outrage is cumulative from the Florida game before.

had they beat Florida, the anger would be tempered with the reality that UT was a top 5 team.

Even more so had they not dropped 103 in Rupp and they never led , starting out 8-0.

But what you see is a regression, the team getting worse instead of better, and the thumping UT put on UK was the last crack in the dam before it broke - and all it represents. No longer in the top 25, no chance to compete in the SEC, matter of fact will probably play on Thursday of the tournament too.

Cal's lost the fanbase last night and short of a final four he won't get them back
What clinched it for me was after the loss, Cal was too scared to do the post game press conference. I mean isn't that supposed to be part of his job description? Geez.

Not enough. Problem is they did lose to UNCW, USCjr, AM, FL and TN. 2 of those same week and back to back in Rupp. That makes us losers of 4 out of our last 7. WTF???!!!

Reactions: ukjenning44
Since 2016, most years have had these late January into early February swoons. 2018 lost 4 straight. 2017 lost 3 out of 4….
In the midst of my focus on how the final game of 2017 was officiated, I forgot about that 4 game stretch. The one win vs GA went to Overtime.

I hope things turn around quickly for this year’s team.

Losing to a top 5 team isn’t that shameful on its own. But when it’s coming off a loss to unranked Florida and it makes 3 of the last 4 including two straight at home….it really amps it up. I generally can take losses. Even 6-11 losses in a season doesn’t exactly spell doom for a March run. But the fact that everyone 90 on us (even when we win) is what concerns me. Big picture, you’re not winning anything meaningful with defense that poor.

I love my cats. But this season feels like having a cavity in a tooth. You know it’s there and you know it’s not gonna get better on its own. It nags at you a little but it doesn’t hurt too bad. It’s annoying but you can handle it. Eventually it will be too far gone and then….real pain
I had my hopes up that this team would be the year that we get back to playing Kentucky basketball. Man it’s so disappointing so far. I agree about the defense. Somethings gotta change and that’s why I get upset with Cal for being so stubborn. Not utilizing a zone defense has hurt us in key ball games in the past, and is something that could possibly help this team. You gotta run whatever suits your ball club and not just what you want to run. Thats bs and theirs no excuse for it.

Reactions: Rockfly78
I had my hopes up that this team would be the year that we get back to playing Kentucky basketball. Man it’s so disappointing so far. I agree about the defense. Somethings gotta change and that’s why I get upset with Cal for being so stubborn. Not utilizing a zone defense has hurt us in key ball games in the past, and is something that could possibly help this team. You gotta run whatever suits your ball club and not just what you want to run. Thats bs and theirs no excuse for it.
I’m a day to day guy. I don’t make a lot of predictions. I just react to what’s in front of me. I am however gonna just let it all play out. It does not look promising for March. But I watched sister Jean make a final 4. So who knows

Reactions: Woodrow_Call_1998
I’m a day to day guy. I don’t make a lot of predictions. I just react to what’s in front of me. I am however gonna just let it all play out. It does not look promising for March. But I watched sister Jean make a final 4. So who knows
I really hope things change for the better. I’d rather the guys that love Cal be right about everything, because that means our team is winning at a high level again.

What clinched it for me was after the loss, Cal was too scared to do the post game press conference. I mean isn't that supposed to be part of his job description? Geez.
People were already questioning if he'd do the show immediately after the game. I'm willing to bet he realizes not doing the show was a mistake now. But like everything else, he'll rationalize some excuse

Reactions: susan2361
The overall frustration isn’t just about last night but overall what has been going on the last few years against Top teams or hell in the SEC in general .
Indeed, it's the accumulation of frustration, not merely one games.

BBN has seen this show for four years now. It's old.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
we are 72-42 since the 2020 , 9 win season ....... thats 63%... 1 SECT win, 1 NCAAT win...

In order to be considered tied with that era....... we need to win the SECT to get to the same SECT wins of that era and make the elite 8 just to tie the NCAAT wins of that 4 year era that we considered so awful. The last 10 regular season games of that BCG season was the death spiral losing like 7 out of 10 games so hopefully the winning % and wins will be a few games better than that era but who knows , we did lose to UNCW and Florida at home, we could lose a lot more games going forward too.
I've got us at 11-7 in the SEC.

At this point, that would be generous. We might go 10-8 or worse.

The problem is that we’re never healthy, we never have a full roster, we’re always being asked to wait for the stars to align.

As far as I can remember, the stars aligned pretty well in 2011 and 2014, but not since.

By my count this is 7 straight seasons where things have been squirrelly to some degree. Most coaches don’t get 7 years to get things right.

And we got fairly well punked from the opening too.

So short answer…NO.

I do think this team is somewhere between what we saw earlier and what we've seen recently. Do I think this team can get to a Sweet 16? Maybe. Final Four? No, they don't defend and rebound.

Is there too much outrage? Of course there is. How old are the posters here? Are you [frothers] all in grade school? Any "rage" is too much. You're feeling rage about a game. Something that has no effect outside of itself. You still have the same job. The same kids. The same bad hair. The same crap car. The same waistline. Win. Lose. Nothing changes outside of the game. That's why we call it a game.

Is there too much outrage? Of course there is. How old are the posters here? Are you [frothers] all in grade school? Any "rage" is too much. You're feeling rage about a game. Something that has no effect outside of itself. You still have the same job. The same kids. The same bad hair. The same crap car. The same waistline. Win. Lose. Nothing changes outside of the game. That's why we call it a game.
If you don't care enough to be upset when things are going poorly, then you don't care enough to be happy or excited when they win, either.

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL

No you're right, we didn't lose at home to TWO unranked teams this year either.

Oh wait...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT