ADVERTISEMENT

Oh boy, ul WR says

Was it 17 or 16 the Vandy kid said bring on Bama after Vandy started out 3-0? But I think Bama lost 9 starters on D off the 17 team and it's the opener, but still a Vandy type beatdown is what I expect, Jackson might have put some points up, but he ihas left the building.

The Cards have a fine WR corps. As Wildcard will tell you, ranked #10 by Phillip Steele. That is a good unit. Bama will be tested. Could be a track meet!!!

Reactions: The-Hack
The Cards have a fine WR corps. As Wildcard will tell you, ranked #10 by Phillip Steele. That is a good unit. Bama will be tested. Could be a track meet!!!

Bama will have a first time DC entering the season, Tosh Lupoi, he was brought in a few years back to get in on some west coast recruiting. He is their ace recruiter now and has proven to be a good on field coach. Everyone has always said first Kirby then Pruitt were DC's in title only but I expect Nick will be even more involved now with a brand new DC.

I respect what Louisville has done with their program, but they are 1-4 against SEC teams not named Kentucky since Petrino returned, including two two bowl game beatdowns by lopsided scores. In short, they won't beat Alabama. UL's defense will be a sore spot all year long, I believe.

I respect what Louisville has done with their program, but they are 1-4 against SEC teams not named Kentucky since Petrino returned, including two two bowl game beatdowns by lopsided scores. In short, they won't beat Alabama. UL's defense will be a sore spot all year long, I believe.

The UL defense is the weak team in that game.

Alabama, by mid 2nd quarter will be using this game as a test practice to see which quarterback they are going to go with.

Was it 17 or 16 the Vandy kid said bring on Bama after Vandy started out 3-0? But I think Bama lost 9 starters on D off the 17 team and it's the opener, but still a Vandy type beatdown is what I expect, Jackson might have put some points up, but he ihas left the building.
Out front 7 should be fine, but the secondary (especially corner) is a question mark.

Out front 7 should be fine, but the secondary (especially corner) is a question mark.

That may be true, but b/c the "Front 7 should be fine", the UL QB will likely be running for his life much of the game. Thus, being a little green on the back end will be easier to mask.

That may be true, but b/c the "Front 7 should be fine", the UL QB will likely be running for his life much of the game. Thus, being a little green on the back end will be easier to mask.

That will likely be the objective. Take young Puma, mix things up, and bring pressure. Don’t let him get settled. Of course, BP knows that. If UL cannot establish any run game, Pass could be running for his life all day.

If the game gets out of hand, BP will have an itch to keep Puma in and let him learn. I caution with one word: Francois.

I feel like I should not get into this again! [laughing]

However, the full quote is:

“Every receiver in our receiver corps can honestly beat every one of their DBs one-on-one in coverage,” Fitzpatrick said. “It ties into the other stuff, if the blocks are right, if the quarterback’s drop is right, we ran eight-yard routes instead of a 10-yard route, that’s the kind of stuff I feel like we need to sharpen up.

“But I feel like straight talent-wise, I feel like we have the upper edge against their secondary, 1,000 percent.”

So there are some game specific "ifs" tied to that bottom line assessment. What he has really said is the Cards would complete their share of passes in a 7 on 7 drill. And there is probably some truth there - the Cards do have a pretty good group of receivers. And when given more or less "equal talent levels" the drill advantage usually falls to the receiver. However, game day is a different situation altogether.

As Grumpy points out a new DC probably means Saban will be more involved with the defense this year. To that point, AL plays a lot of a somewhat tricky secondary scheme called a "pattern match zone". I'm not going to try to go into it here (because I barely "know" what it is [laughing]) but basically defenders have certain keys and reads to determine if there is/will be a threat to their zone. If not they are "free" to break their zone and play the ball or a nearby receiver.

I think the key thing here defensively are specific reads against "known" passing sets and patterns. Conversely, a key way to attack it would be to add some previously undisclosed routes within those "known" patterns. This being the opener for both 'Bama may well stick with basic coverage and let overall talent and pass rush do their thing. JMO

Peace

I feel like I should not get into this again! [laughing]

However, the full quote is:

“Every receiver in our receiver corps can honestly beat every one of their DBs one-on-one in coverage,” Fitzpatrick said. “It ties into the other stuff, if the blocks are right, if the quarterback’s drop is right, we ran eight-yard routes instead of a 10-yard route, that’s the kind of stuff I feel like we need to sharpen up.

“But I feel like straight talent-wise, I feel like we have the upper edge against their secondary, 1,000 percent.”

So there are some game specific "ifs" tied to that bottom line assessment. What he has really said is the Cards would complete their share of passes in a 7 on 7 drill. And there is probably some truth there - the Cards do have a pretty good group of receivers. And when given more or less "equal talent levels" the drill advantage usually falls to the receiver. However, game day is a different situation altogether.

As Grumpy points out a new DC probably means Saban will be more involved with the defense this year. To that point, AL plays a lot of a somewhat tricky secondary scheme called a "pattern match zone". I'm not going to try to go into it here (because I barely "know" what it is [laughing]) but basically defenders have certain keys and reads to determine if there is/will be a threat to their zone. If not they are "free" to break their zone and play the ball or a nearby receiver.

I think the key thing here defensively are specific reads against "known" passing sets and patterns. Conversely, a key way to attack it would be to add some previously undisclosed routes within those "known" patterns. This being the opener for both 'Bama may well stick with basic coverage and let overall talent and pass rush do their thing. JMO

Peace

If you need to break it down to keep it out of the opposing locker room, you are smart to keep your mouth shut. Fitzgerald won’t pay for the comment. Puma may.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Haven't people learned over the years to never poke the bear? It only leads to bad things for the ones that did.

If you need to break it down to keep it out of the opposing locker room, you are smart to keep your mouth shut. Fitzgerald won’t pay for the comment. Puma may.
I don't disagree. When you are a 'dawg, especially a big 'dawg, you keep your mouth shut.

Peace

The UL defense is the weak team in that game.
Yep, BAMA will score at will but UL will put up a few themselves partly because they do have some talent on that side and partly because they'll score late on the second team. I'm thinking a 48-27 kind of thing.

Yep, BAMA will score at will but UL will put up a few themselves partly because they do have some talent on that side and partly because they'll score late on the second team. I'm thinking a 48-27 kind of thing.

I believe it probably goes the way you are saying. It's probably a good think Louisville QB is a big guy and hopefully for him can survive a beating. I think Bama gets a good lead, and then has some in game tryouts for the secondary spots. With Hurts Bama can be defended, but with Tau who isn't quite the runner but a much better passer they are tough to deal with/ I don't know if Hurts even finishes the season if he isn't the starter because of the risk of burning his redshirt. Finish school, grad transfer with 2 years to play, I don't think he can win big without Bama like talent around him, but someone will be happy to have him

Awwwww....can't blame the kid. Don't wanna go in a game saying don't hurt me.

Truth is Louisville DOES have some Tru studs at receiver.
Truth also is the quarterback has to stay upright. IF Louisville falls behind by two touchdowns and the Alabama defense turns loose on a pure pass rush it COULD get ugly, and no matter what uniform they wear I don't wanna see any kids get hurt.

Unless Petrino suits up.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Awwwww....can't blame the kid. Don't wanna go in a game saying don't hurt me.

Truth is Louisville DOES have some Tru studs at receiver.
Truth also is the quarterback has to stay upright. IF Louisville falls behind by two touchdowns and the Alabama defense turns loose on a pure pass rush it COULD get ugly, and no matter what uniform they wear I don't wanna see any kids get hurt.

Unless Petrino suits up.
Puma. Who the Hell is Puma?? Is he a zoo animal :chairshot:the Little Brother QB is Juawon

Uofl likes talking out of the end that shouldn’t be talking.

Yesterday in video of players here getting scholarships they have a fan saying we don’t play anyone...

I asked him what it felt like to have UK as your signature win last season with a defending heisman winner. And reminded him we was the only team with a winning record they beat in regular season.

His next line is their new qb is better than Lamar.....

Overblown. Kid has confidence in himself and his teammates. Why expect anything different?

Nothing to see here

We aren't even talking about this on our board. But I knew I could count on you guys. ;)

At first I thought it was a stupid, immature decision to give Alabama locker room material and incentive to give us their best shot, but on second thought, why would we want any less? If we beat them, I want to beat the real Bama team, and if we lose I don't care how bad the loss is. This is big time football, and if we're going to be confident against Clemson and Florida State, we might as well start now.

And who knows? If we get the ball first and score on a perfectly executed Petrino opening drive, maybe this will get in those kid's heads a little.

Anything can happen. First game flubs, new coordinators, new starters.ya lace em up and play
I just think the Cards are overmatched and too far out of their weight class in this one

Awful big point spread. I'd say 17 would be about it. Maybe even not until the second half.....but even though Bama lost a lot of starters, a bunch of these kids got some significant PT.

Even if they can, will it matter with that rancid UofL defense? Couldn't even stop Boston College.

Even if they can, will it matter with that rancid UofL defense? Couldn't even stop Boston College.

That is the overriding question. Will UL’s defense be better? They lost quite a bit. They have a few transfers and some young potential. I would think Burns will be a good addition. Not sure about the kid from A&M or the Juco. Word is that the defense is more complex than they ran last year. That might not be good for game 1.

That is the overriding question. Will UL’s defense be better? They lost quite a bit. They have a few transfers and some young potential. I would think Burns will be a good addition. Not sure about the kid from A&M or the Juco. Word is that the defense is more complex than they ran last year. That might not be good for game 1.
Ive never heard or met a Notre Dame fan who had anything positive to say about BVG.

He may be right, Bama's secondary is it's weakness, but Bama's front line D. is so strong they may not have time to run their routs.
He may be right, Bama's secondary is it's weakness, but Bama's front line D. is so strong they may not have time to run their routs.

Another Freudian slip? "run their routs".

How about some assistant finds Bama's entire playbook while rummaging in the garbage for a bite to eat the day before the game? What if an All American lb gets arrested the day before school starts for beating up his wife (one of them), it isn't like the old days and most schools aren't set up to expedite last minute transfers. Same with Grier, maybe he just heard about the Heisman winner leaving, and always wanted to play for BP, forget his coaching ability, who else in the world could take a bunch of players kicked out of legit schools (several schools sometimes) late qualifiers, and a group of JCs that couldn't qualify out of high school and elevate them to top ten in the nation in the APR? You guys are not giving BP nearly enough credit.

The only thing that might possibly hold them down is losing jurich, Slick Rick, BP, and jurich, a marriage made up in heaven.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT