ADVERTISEMENT

Seriously, the last ten years, has the Governor's Cup been a good thing for U of L?

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
I buy our (Kentucky fans') mantra that U of L built its program since 1994, at least in part, with the Kentucky game/Governor's Cup.

But since joining the ACC, the Cards have had two solid shots to make a NYD6 Bowl, in 2016 and 2023, both seasons being ranked in the Top 12, until the final weekend of the regular season, when they lost at home to UK. And the whole point of being ranked in the Top 12 late in the season takes on a whole lot more significance with an expended play off next season.

Kentucky fans can look back to 2021, and 2018, and speculate that "we came, oh so close" to being Top 12 at the end . . . just as Card fans can look back to 2016 and 2023 in the same light.

The difference being that our U of L victories moved us up a tad in our two best years, and U of L's losses essentially knocked them just below the mark in their two best years.

Will Louisville regret the end of the Governor's Cup should that come to pass with SEC expansion?

Oh, they'll howl, but if I were them, I think I would seriously be very happy to shed this game, as for a decade, it has not been to their advantage to play it, when highly ranked.

My gripe is that I wish it never moved to late season.

We don't ever get the eyes that other bigger rivalries get that weekend. I wish both ADs would move it to September for a "Kick off/Rivalry/ACC SEC...etc" event.

When everyone else is playing the OOC puffs...we get the attention and prime time slot.

We don't ever get the eyes that other bigger rivalries get that weekend. I wish both ADs would move it to September for a "Kick off/Rivalry/ACC SEC...etc" event.

When everyone else is playing the OOC puffs...we get the attention and prime time slot.
As long as we keep beating their ass I don’t care if we play the game on a Wednesday at 2AM on Facebook live. I’ll watch

Good points.

Oddly, though, the end-of-season game seems to have benefitted UK, as we have dominated it.

U of L has been pretty weak since 2018, but I'm glad we played Louisville late in 2016. Lamar shredded a Top 10 FSU by 40 points early in the 2016 season. Houston helped teach us (and others) how to defend his abilities, and Stoops got his first Top 10 win a week later.

All responses so far have addressed it from UK's perception.

But the OP is really asking about the benefit, if any, to U of L.

And I think a rational U of L fan would have to admit the series has done them little good since they joined the ACC.

And I think a rational U of L fan would have to admit the series has done them little good since they joined the ACC.
They would have to admit that since they never win anymore. I don’t think they want to give it up because they convince themselves when they change coaches every couple of years they are going to become Georgia and beat UK 87-3 every year.

Disagree...if they can win 70% of the time it's great in recruiting for them.

Reactions: Blouman
That game means everything to UL and even more moving forward. It was always their chance to show they could compete with an sec team and win the in state matchup. It was most always their only legitimate team on the schedule. Then they moved to the acc and played a few more semi-legitimate teams but the game was still Uber important for much the same reason.

Now it is even more important for them. The acc is obviously trash and the committee just told everyone just that by bumping down FSU and ul. That means UK is again the best opportunity to showcase themselves vs a real sex school.

I said a few years ago and maintain it still that we should cancel the game. We have nothing to gain and everything to lose when they eventually beat us. Conversely that game means everything to them in terms of program building, so why give them the life preserver?

I agree. I would much rather see different teams in home and home series. Something like this vs the series with Louisville. It has popped some years but most years it is as stale as the old series with Indiana.

Wisconsin
@ Wisconsin

Michigan State
@ Michigan State

Utah
@ Utah

Texas Tech
@ Texas Tech

Arizona
@ Arizona

UL and their fans got what they asked for. ( begged, cried, got politics involved, kicked, screamed like a petulant child not getting their way).

Now they have to live with what they asked for.

Momma always warned us. Be careful what you ask for. You just might get it.

I agree. I would much rather see different teams in home and home series. Something like this vs the series with Louisville. It has popped some years but most years it is as stale as the old series with Indiana.

Wisconsin
@ Wisconsin

Michigan State
@ Michigan State

Utah
@ Utah

Texas Tech
@ Texas Tech

Arizona
@ Arizon
UL and their fans got what they asked for. ( begged, cried, got politics involved, kicked, screamed like a petulant child not getting their way).

Momma always warned us. Be careful what you

Momma always warned us. Be careful what you ask for. You just might get it.
Mom always said, don’t play ball in the house.

Now they broke a vase.

I buy our (Kentucky fans') mantra that U of L built its program since 1994, at least in part, with the Kentucky game/Governor's Cup.

But since joining the ACC, the Cards have had two solid shots to make a NYD6 Bowl, in 2016 and 2023, both seasons being ranked in the Top 12, until the final weekend of the regular season, when they lost at home to UK. And the whole point of being ranked in the Top 12 late in the season takes on a whole lot more significance with an expended play off next season.

Kentucky fans can look back to 2021, and 2018, and speculate that "we came, oh so close" to being Top 12 at the end . . . just as Card fans can look back to 2016 and 2023 in the same light.

The difference being that our U of L victories moved us up a tad in our two best years, and U of L's losses essentially knocked them just below the mark in their two best years.

Will Louisville regret the end of the Governor's Cup should that come to pass with SEC expansion?

Oh, they'll howl, but if I were them, I think I would seriously be very happy to shed this game, as for a decade, it has not been to their advantage to play it, when highly ranked.
I don’t know if regret would be the word I would use as I would just be sad to see it end. Sure on a National level it doesn’t really mean much as there are much older rivalries. However I still think it draws interest in the state good enough to keep it going.

However I still think it draws interest in the state good enough to keep it going.
Nice response.

And as I posted prior to the game, it would have been nice for UK to have won a couple of other games so a bit of national interest would have been generated.

But as to the hurt . . . it meant all the more to see Jack Harlow flashing the double-birds toward the Kentucky crowd 20 seconds before Barion Brown’s 9 second dash.

So typically classy!

That game means everything to UL and even more moving forward. It was always their chance to show they could compete with an sec team and win the in state matchup. It was most always their only legitimate team on the schedule. Then they moved to the acc and played a few more semi-legitimate teams but the game was still Uber important for much the same reason.

Now it is even more important for them. The acc is obviously trash and the committee just told everyone just that by bumping down FSU and ul. That means UK is again the best opportunity to showcase themselves vs a real sex school.

I said a few years ago and maintain it still that we should cancel the game. We have nothing to gain and everything to lose when they eventually beat us. Conversely that game means everything to them in terms of program building, so why give them the life preserver?
I have never bought into the whole it means more to UofL than UK. I think both team equally want to beat their in-state rival. I also don’t buy into the whole it means more for UofL to beat UK because UK is an SEC team. You do realize that since the series was restarted in 1994 that UK finished 16 times with a losing record.

Since moving to the ACC the toughest opponent on our schedule hasn’t been UK it’s been Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame ( the years we play them) & then UK. I will admit that the UK is important for bragging rights but beating Notre Dame and FSU did more for us than beating UK. Moving forward we will still have Clemson, FSU & Notre Dame spread out on our future schedules along with home & home games with Georgia and Texas A&M as of right now.

As far as next year goes I would put @ Clemson and @ Notre Dame ahead of @ UK. Clemson goes first cause we haven’t beat them since joining the ACC. Then @ Notre Dame it’s always good when you can beat a National brand, then UK for bragging rights. Now if by the end of next year it comes down to if we need to beat UK to get in the playoff then I might look at the game a little different.

Wisconsin
@ Wisconsin

Michigan State
@ Michigan State

Utah
@ Utah

Texas Tech
@ Texas Tech

Arizona
@ Arizona
I want a series with Notre Dame

Nice response.

And as I posted prior to the game, it would have been nice for UK to have won a couple of other games so a bit of national interest would have been generated.

But as to the hurt . . . it meant all the more to see Jack Harlow flashing the double-birds toward the Kentucky crowd 20 seconds before Barion Brown’s 9 second dash.

So typically classy!
I think what would help the game on a National level is if both teams were ranked. Check me on this but i don’t the rivalry has been played with both teams ranked it’s always been one or the other.

Reactions: The-Hack
I think what would help the game on a National level is if both teams were ranked. Check me on this but i don’t the rivalry has been played with both teams ranked it’s always been one or the other.
Absolutely.

Kind of odd, given that both have had ranked seasons.

We were two wins away from it being considered a “play-in” game to the NYD6 bowls, which next year are “the play offs.”

At this point I don't know why they would want to play us in anything but women's basketball.
You forgot baseball. Maybe Coach Mingione can work on that.

IDK why UL keeps playing us. IDK why moths are attracted to flames. IDK why wildebeests swim across crocodile infested rivers. IDK why people want to climb Mt. Everest. IDK why people still want to live in Seattle or Portland. But I know this. UL has burned through a succession of ADs and all of them have made a lot of dumb, self destructive decisions.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
But I know this. UL has burned through a succession of ADs and all of them have made a lot of dumb, self destructive decisions.
Their sins under Jurich/Petrino/Pitino/That Crooked President, were many and long-sustained.

Seriously, the Karma of their long-suffering could be cited by religious leaders as proof of good over evil, in the long run.

I have never bought into the whole it means more to UofL than UK. I think both team equally want to beat their in-state rival. I also don’t buy into the whole it means more for UofL to beat UK because UK is an SEC team. You do realize that since the series was restarted in 1994 that UK finished 16 times with a losing record.

Since moving to the ACC the toughest opponent on our schedule hasn’t been UK it’s been Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame ( the years we play them) & then UK. I will admit that the UK is important for bragging rights but beating Notre Dame and FSU did more for us than beating UK. Moving forward we will still have Clemson, FSU & Notre Dame spread out on our future schedules along with home & home games with Georgia and Texas A&M as of right now.

As far as next year goes I would put @ Clemson and @ Notre Dame ahead of @ UK. Clemson goes first cause we haven’t beat them since joining the ACC. Then @ Notre Dame it’s always good when you can beat a National brand, then UK for bragging rights. Now if by the end of next year it comes down to if we need to beat UK to get in the playoff then I might look at the game a little different.
It’s waaay too early to imagine what next year will bring but if things go as ‘expected’ I would think Clemson, Notre Dame, and UK will be favored in all three of those games. Also, they’re all road games for UL. I’m not trying to be a jerk but I can see where UL will need a few breaks to beat any of those teams next year.

It’s waaay too early to imagine what next year will bring but if things go as ‘expected’ I would think Clemson, Notre Dame, and UK will be favored in all three of those games. Also, they’re all road games for UL. I’m not trying to be a jerk but I can see where UL will need a few breaks to beat any of those teams next year.
By this time next year, Brohm may very well look like a one hit wonder.

It's like 6-4 in the last 10 years right? I get the sentiments but not that lopsided, a healthy rivalry tbh.
I see what you are saying, but two of those Kentucky wins cost U of L the NYD6 Bowls. And those two seasons, 2016 and 2023 were the only ones since they joined the ACC that they’ve had a shot for such prestige.

And, no, I’m not suggesting we have achieved such prestige. . . simply that we’ve directly denied it to our cross-state rival at the cruelest of times, the last week of the regular season.

It's like 6-4 in the last 10 years right? I get the sentiments but not that lopsided, a healthy rivalry tbh.
I see what you are saying, but two of those Kentucky wins cost U of L the NYD6 Bowls. And those two seasons, 2016 and 2023 were the only ones since they joined the ACC that they’ve had a shot for such prestige.

And, no, I’m not suggesting we have achieved such prestige. . . simply that we’ve directly denied it to our cross-state rival at the cruelest of times, the last week of the regular season.

Trending and momentum in college athletics are far more important than this dialog is suggesting. The important outcome stat is 5-0. Satterfield couldn't beat Stoops, and the initial data point says Brohm and his 10-1 ACC headliner team couldn't even beat Stoops in Louisville when Stoops was vilnerable.

There is a reason for this.

SEC football >> ACC football.

It is well past time for UK football fans to get over UL. I get it that some of us have family and friends who are UL fans and you can't stand listening to them boast and gloat with the petty stuff at Thanksgiving. But, seriously, in the greater scheme of things who cares? Words are cheap. UK is a founding member of the SEC. The present and future of UK football are in the SEC, not down I-64. For UK, UL football is a overblown sideshow. It just is. If you want a successful SEC football program, then it is essential to behave like the fan base of a successful SEC football program. Don't take Nick Roush's bait. Screw UL and screw Jeff Brohm. Our focus needs to be on TN, MO, and GA. For those who can't find the optimism and courage to think that way, suit yourselves but please don't piss in the punch bowl for the rest of us who can. FWIW. And I know Hack is on board.

If Brohm keeps winning 10 games and stays in the ACC discussion, beating them really looks good for us.

Our OOC is hot garbage, UL being competitive kind of helps. I just wish they would move the game to kick off the year. If the UL game ever went away, I just don't trust our OOC scheduling habits to replace them with a halfway interesting and competitive team. I think the urge to fill that slot in with another Lake Erie commuter school would be too strong.

If CMS ever strikes it hot and hits a lick like Missouri this year, we're going to need a decent OOC dub to help us beat out Tulane for the 12th playoff spot.

If FSU eventually scraps up the money and bolts from ACC that conference is wide open. Brohm could light it up. I mean it's kind of wide-open right now...UL was right there.

If Brohm keeps winning 10 games and stays in the ACC discussion, beating them really looks good for us.

Our OOC is hot garbage, UL being competitive kind of helps. I just wish they would move the game to kick off the year. If the UL game ever went away, I just don't trust our OOC scheduling habits to replace them with a halfway interesting and competitive team. I think the urge to fill that slot in with another Lake Erie commuter school would be too strong.

If CMS ever strikes it hot and hits a lick like Missouri this year, we're going to need a decent OOC dub to help us beat out Tulane for the 12th playoff spot.

If FSU eventually scraps up the money and bolts from ACC that conference is wide open. Brohm could light it up. I mean it's kind of wide-open right now...UL was right there.
They won’t continue to win 10 games even in the present ACC. They avoided the 4 of the 5 best teams, in a down year, got 2 or 3 of the othervteams without their qb’s AND pulled out some games they probably should have lost. It was kind of a perfect storm.

Reactions: Ky grandpa

UL game will more than likely be replaced with a 9th SEC team.

Because if we don’t play them their fans will chirp how they would kill us after going 10-1 in that pathetic conference. Beating them is the only way to shut their pie holes. Obviously you don’t live around The Ville.

Because if we don’t play them their fans will chirp how they would kill us after going 10-1 in that pathetic conference. Beating them is the only way to shut their pie holes. Obviously you don’t live around The Ville.
Keep little sister need easy win from P5

Doesn’t work. It was the refs and/or it’s UK’s Super Bowl and they didn’t really try.

• Haha
Reactions: EKCAT4YRS

They chirp no matter what. We're their sole shot at legitimacy.

They chirp no matter what. We're their sole shot at legitimacy.
When they do. Just say. “We beat your ass on the field”. Over and over. They will eventually stop with the excuses. Then say it again. We beat your ass on the field. Works for me.

UL game will more than likely be replaced with a 9th SEC team.
No doubt in my mind. Unless SEC/ESPN also requires all schools to play 1 out of conference against ACC or Big 10 or Big 12. But that would be a big river to cross, a lot of SEC schools won't like having 10 out of 12 games dictated by others.

Reactions: cathouse
Sure it's been good for them. Gives them more exposure than they'd ever get otherwise. And that's my whole problem with us playing them: helps them win or lose.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Sure it's been good for them. Gives them more exposure than they'd ever get otherwise. And that's my whole problem with us playing them: helps them win or lose.
I’m not sure it helps them if they lose. It just exposes there 5 or 6 conference wins for what they are.

How does playing UK give us exposure we would never get otherwise ? I would think playing in the ACC title game and being ranked in the CFP Top 10 for several weeks gave UofL more exposure than playing UK did. I mean it’s been said many times on here that the rivalry doesn’t mean much on a national level so again how does playing UK give UL more exposure ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT