ADVERTISEMENT

Seriously, the last ten years, has the Governor's Cup been a good thing for U of L?

How does playing UK give us exposure we would never get otherwise ? I would think playing in the ACC title game and being ranked in the CFP Top 10 for several weeks gave UofL more exposure than playing UK did. I mean it’s been said many times on here that the rivalry doesn’t mean much on a national level so again how does playing UK give UL more exposure ?
You’re probably right this year but you aren’t going to avoid all the decent teams again most likely. Also, when FSU and Clemson leave even an undefeated ACC season won’t mean that much without some good OOC wins.

How does playing UK give us exposure we would never get otherwise ? I would think playing in the ACC title game and being ranked in the CFP Top 10 for several weeks gave UofL more exposure than playing UK did. I mean it’s been said many times on here that the rivalry doesn’t mean much on a national level so again how does playing UK give UL more exposure ?
You are right on this one.

Exposure is not the right word.
UK EXPOSED UL.........again.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
All responses so far have addressed it from UK's perception.

But the OP is really asking about the benefit, if any, to U of L.

And I think a rational U of L fan would have to admit the series has done them little good since they joined the ACC.
I like the tradition of a rivalry game. It’s a tasty, fun game for bragging rights, and UK has certainly earned those rights with their play on the field In six of the last seven matchups. For UofL, we don’t have much football tradition yet with the other schools in the ACC, so outside of “name” teams like Notre Dame, Clemson, Miami, and FSU, seeing UK on the home schedule sells more season tickets. Attendance was better this year, due to both Brohm’s success and having both ND and UK on the schedule, but it has not bounced back as quickly as UofL would have liked after the pandemic.

Despite us having just a 3-6 in those games since joining the ACC, I would not be in favor of dropping the series.

Still salty about that loss on November 25, but it was a great game between two well matched teams and very good football coaching staffs. Loved every minute of it, right up until JJ’s fumble. Good luck against Clemson in Jax!

Reactions: The-Hack
You’re probably right this year but you aren’t going to avoid all the decent teams again most likely. Also, when FSU and Clemson leave even an undefeated ACC season won’t mean that much without some good OOC wins.
Undefeated ACC season will mean a spot in the college football playoffs going forward, so it will definitely mean something!

That’s most likely only true for another two or three years.
I don’t understand that comment. The format of the CFP will be to take the top 6 conference champions (based on rankings) and add 6 at large teams to it. Even with the demise of the PAC-12, the only thing that’s going to change is the format will be 5 champions and 7 at large.

The ACC champion, especially if undefeated or with one or even two losses, will be one of the top 5 ranked champions and will earn an autobid to that playoff. What do you believe is going to change that after two or three years?

I don’t understand that comment. The format of the CFP will be to take the top 6 conference champions (based on rankings) and add 6 at large teams to it. Even with the demise of the PAC-12, the only thing that’s going to change is the format will be 5 champions and 7 at large.

The ACC champion, especially if undefeated or with one or even two losses, will be one of the top 5 ranked champions and will earn an autobid to that playoff. What do you believe is going to change that after two or three years?
I’m not sure how that will work out when the ACC is UL, wake, Duke, BC, Syracuse and a bunch of Houstons and Nouse States. And even if it is I don’t think an auto-bid would be anything I would care about as a fan

I’m a firm believer the top ACC programs will find a way out.

I’m not sure how that will work out when the ACC is UL, wake, Duke, BC, Syracuse and a bunch of Houstons and Nouse States. And even if it is I don’t think an auto-bid would be anything I would care about as a fan

I’m a firm believer the top ACC programs will find a way out.
To me, that just means UofL has a better chance to win the conference championship and get that college football playoff autobid. Probably about 2031, FSU and Clemson might be able to afford to buy their way out of the ACC’s TV grant of rights, so I’d expect that move to happen around the end of this decade.

And as a UofL fan, that’s the best we can hope for, unless either the SEC or Big Ten decides to add UofL. We’ve been there (in an inferior conference) before in the Big East under Strong and Petrino, and it was as a LOT of fun! Obviously, if either top conference extended us an offer, we’d take it. If not, we’ll stick with the Duke’s, NC States, Syracuse’s and Pittsburgh’s of the world. It’s the best we’ve got.

To me, that just means UofL has a better chance to win the conference championship and get that college football playoff autobid. Probably about 2031, FSU and Clemson might be able to afford to buy their way out of the ACC’s TV grant of rights, so I’d expect that move to happen around the end of this decade.

And as a UofL fan, that’s the best we can hope for, unless either the SEC or Big Ten decides to add UofL. We’ve been there (in an inferior conference) before in the Big East under Strong and Petrino, and it was as a LOT of fun! Obviously, if either top conference extended us an offer, we’d take it. If not, we’ll stick with the Duke’s, NC States, Syracuse’s and Pittsburgh’s of the world. It’s the best we’ve got.
I’m confident they’ll get out well before that. UL certainly isn’t winning the conference while FSU and Clemson remain anyway. Though granted, they would have better chance of einning the conference than UK would. Though I think UK would have a much better shot at an at-large than UL would at an auto bid. Both are long shots.

They want out, but the Grant of Rights is massive $$$.
One of two things will happen imo.

1) Over half of the teams will agree to jump; or

2) A few will make the jump and get sued…defend it as unenforceable (anti/trust or whatevervthey can think of it doesn’t really matter)…….settle for much less.

If Louisville can keep their TV numbers where they were this year or better it would help Louisvilles cause. Louisville finished 3rd in the ACC with an average of 1.36 million viewers per game during the regular season. That put them 31st nationally and above 5 SEC teams and 6 Big 10 teams.

Reactions: PushupMan
If Louisville can keep their TV numbers where they were this year or better it would help Louisvilles cause. Louisville finished 3rd in the ACC with an average of 1.36 million viewers per game during the regular season. That put them 31st nationally and above 5 SEC teams and 6 Big 10 teams.
Where can one see such numbers?

One of two things will happen imo.

1) Over half of the teams will agree to jump; or

2) A few will make the jump and get sued…defend it as unenforceable (anti/trust or whatevervthey can think of it doesn’t really matter)…….settle for much less.
They won’t get half the teams to jump because they couldn’t get enough bites back in the summer to do it and now you have 3 more teams that have been added.

The ACC is going to crumble sooner rather than later FSU, Clemson, VA and Carolina will bolt. voters will not give a S about that conference going forward.

They didn't care this year......

As soon as Louisville started playing teams with a pulse they have started losing.

Reactions: HCaulfield
The ACC is going to crumble sooner rather than later FSU, Clemson, VA and Carolina will bolt. voters will not give a S about that conference going forward.

They didn't care this year......

As soon as Louisville started playing teams with a pulse they have started losing.
To be fair, they did beat an average to slightly above average Notre Dame team at home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT