ADVERTISEMENT

Official Steph Curry is GOAT thread

Not taking away from them winning but if that henchman didn’t hurt morant it’s possible Memphis would have won that series - they were the toughest out for GS

OP this morning:

allt4.jpg

And this GS team is not a superstar team. Curry is. After him it is good players and role players.

I think it's time to discuss this; Steph gets his Finals MVP with the Greatest Finals Performance of all-time. Shot nearly 50%, averaged 31ppg, shot better than 50% in every road game, absolutely owned Tatum in every facet, insane passing, insane defense (and blocked Tatum), and insane leadership.

Jordan in 1993 vs PHX in the Finals - 41pts, 8.5rebs, 6.3asts, 1.4stls, shot 50.8% from the field and 40% from 3 and at NO point on any possession did PHX specifically run plays/sets to go at him on defense.

Not trying to bash Curry, either, as he is clearly a great player (no argument with him being on the 75th anniversary team), but can we please quit comparing him to MJ or LeBron or Magic or any other player in the conversation for GOAT.

Nobody tell the cal at all cost people about Golden State winning. You know I have to agree with Denny Crum that this three-point thing is just a phase.
You can’t run this much of a three point centric offense in college. You just can’t get the shooters for it. Golden State has two of the best shooters in NBA history. Try this at the college level and the results will be feast or famine, not unlike what Oats is doing at Bama.

Reactions: kyeric
You can’t run this much of a three point centric offense in college. You just can’t get the shooters for it. Golden State has two of the best shooters in NBA history. Try this at the college level and the results will be feast or famine, not unlike what Oats is doing at Bama.

Poole, Porter and Wiggins are all VERY capable from 3, too.

It's hard enough to do it in the pros. If you watch GSW, they aren't even necessarily a 3pt centric team. Sure, they shoot a lot, but they also use the threat of the 3 to space the floor to get drives to the rim and excellent mid-range shots/floaters.

Reactions: ukcatz12
I think it's time to discuss this; Steph gets his Finals MVP with the Greatest Finals Performance of all-time. Shot nearly 50%, averaged 31ppg, shot better than 50% in every road game, absolutely owned Tatum in every facet, insane passing, insane defense (and blocked Tatum), and insane leadership. This performance rivals any performances that Michael Jordan or Lebron would have had. Steph Curry solidified his position of at least a top five player of all-time, if not the GOAT. He deserves respect. Not a fan of the Warriors, but you cannot deny greatness; this Warriors team wasn't great, but Steph dragged them to this championship. Tatum is not a superstar by any means. He might not even be top 15.
Settle down. After game 5 people were talking Wiggins could be Finals MVP

That was of the worst finals games .. Tatum was historically bad. Did not even deserve to be on the court. Truly look like he had $ on the Warriors.
Tatum looked gassed for much of the series. In like the last three years, guy has played more minutes than anyone else in the NBA and it's not remotely close. Combine that with the short offseasons because of COVID and doing the Olympics last year and I think the guy is worn down.

Then you add in the role players (basically everyone else outside of Jaylen Brown) being largely useless on offense after three games, effectively forcing Udoka to have to play him more and use him more than what he would ideally want, and it was a recipe for disaster. And Wiggins is no slouch on defense.

Hopefully the normal length offseason will do him some good.

Glad the choking Celtics lost...up 14-2 and then get embarrassed. 17-17 Lakers and Celtics remains and will remain that way until the Lakers finally, rightfully take their place as the all time NBA Champs leaders.

Ten years down the road this Warrior team will seem loaded. I remember when the Pistons first won, it seemed like Isaiah Thomas and a bunch of average guys. But it was Dumars, Mahorn, Laimbeer and Rodman. And Vinnie Johnson.

Ten years down the road this Warrior team will seem loaded. I remember when the Pistons first won, it seemed like Isaiah Thomas and a bunch of average guys. But it was Dumars, Mahorn, Laimbeer and Rodman. And Vinnie Johnson.
Or we will be asking how the BOS team made it as far as they did. I don’t see Tatum/Brown ever winning a thing.

Jordan in 1993 vs PHX in the Finals - 41pts, 8.5rebs, 6.3asts, 1.4stls, shot 50.8% from the field and 40% from 3 and at NO point on any possession did PHX specifically run plays/sets to go at him on defense.

Not trying to bash Curry, either, as he is clearly a great player (no argument with him being on the 75th anniversary team), but can we please quit comparing him to MJ or LeBron or Magic or any other player in the conversation for GOAT.
Tell u how to know if he's a goat.. pitch a can out see if he eats it

Reading btw the lines op is likely a bandwagon fan

Because I like Steph Curry? I am not Warriors fan; I became a Lakers fan because I grew up out West. My teams are UK, the Bengals, the Reds, Pacers/Lakers, but thanks for playing.

They were talking about this on espn radio this morning they ranked the top 75 I guess he’s 12th on their list but I can’t see him ever breaking the top 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhDcat2018
I'm definitely a bit more impressed with Curry after these finals. His first Finals MVP, and he was the one who carried the team. We can't say he didn't get the job done.

But this is yet another Curry title team that was just far superior than the competition. Golden State had the highest payroll at $171mil. That's $20mil more than 22 other teams (good for another role player), and $50mil more than 13 teams (enough to add a max contract star). If you take away Houston's dead contract in John Wall (he never played a game), their payroll was only $78 mil.. Golden State had nearly $100,000,000 worth of talent more than Houston.

At what point do you say that Golden State and Curry are simply just spending more than other teams, and therefore, just flat out having more talent to utilize? What current top25 NBA player wouldn't win the title with that amount of talent around them? If you take Curry off that GSW team, they win 45-50 games.

Steph is picking up where he left off, and he did Anthony Davis dirty the other night. Two four-point plays and he is 18-18 at the line. He nearly carried the Warriors to victory tonight, but his supporting cast was trash. I would still root for the Lakers if it wasn't for Lebron and Westbrick, but I just can't. I'm a Pacers fan, but I made this handle almost 20 years ago because I was a Lakers fan until about 4-5 years ago.

His supporting cast is trash?

LMFAO.. he has the best supporting cast of any top player. Hell he might have the greatest help of any top player in ANY sport. GSW has the highest payroll in the league and is $15mil MORE than the 5th highest team, Boston.

Don't ever say Curry doesn't have supporting cast. That's why he's still playing in the league.

Reactions: DSmith21
Steph is picking up where he left off, and he did Anthony Davis dirty the other night. Two four-point plays and he is 18-18 at the line. He nearly carried the Warriors to victory tonight, but his supporting cast was trash. I would still root for the Lakers if it wasn't for Lebron and Westbrick, but I just can't. I'm a Pacers fan, but I made this handle almost 20 years ago because I was a Lakers fan until about 4-5 years ago.

Them winning the title 2 years ago ruined it for you huh?

Reactions: RunninRichie
His supporting cast is trash?

LMFAO.. he has the best supporting cast of any top player. Hell he might have the greatest help of any top player in ANY sport. GSW has the highest payroll in the league and is $15mil MORE than the 5th highest team, Boston.

Don't ever say Curry doesn't have supporting cast. That's why he's still playing in the league.
Don’t they have some ungodly payroll and luxury tax with no intention of slowing down anytime soon

Maybe GS has some chemistry issues. I read where Draymond said that the "guards" blew the defensive play on the critical go ahead basket for Denver in last night's game. I hope Curry mouths off to Green like Poole did.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Don’t they have some ungodly payroll and luxury tax with no intention of slowing down anytime soon

Exactly. They are essentially saying " **** it, we'll gladly pay for our championships and rings".

Which is honestly.. brilliant, on their part. Because a winning franchise only creates more fans, and fans buy tickets and merchandise, making the Warriors "company" that much more money.

However, it needs to be curbed by the NBA because it's basically skirting the salary cap and creating an unfair advantage.. and it certainly tells me nothing about how good Curry is, nor his place amongst the greats. Pull Curry off that team and place any top25 player on that team (disregarding their positional "fit") and they'd win just as many titles. Golden States BENCH might be more talented than some NBA starting 5's.

Reactions: Wesley91581
Exactly. They are essentially saying " **** it, we'll gladly pay for our championships and rings".

Which is honestly.. brilliant, on their part. Because a winning franchise only creates more fans, and fans buy tickets and merchandise, making the Warriors "company" that much more money.

However, it needs to be curbed by the NBA because it's basically skirting the salary cap and creating an unfair advantage.. and it certainly tells me nothing about how good Curry is, nor his place amongst the greats. Pull Curry off that team and place any top25 player on that team (disregarding their positional "fit") and they'd win just as many titles. Golden States BENCH might be more talented than some NBA starting 5's.
Absolutely - the luxury tax was supposed to curb that but GSW/NYY/LAD don’t even care they just write the check

I said that they were trash IN THAT GAME.

I don't care if they didn't have great games.. the talent is there.. and it's not like Steph played much better than the rest of his team. He scored more, but that's it. Wiggins was just as productive as Steph was..

There is absolutely no reason Steph shouldn't win 60 games a ring this year. Anything less is a total disappointment.

Chris Paul crossed the 11,000 assist milestone last night. He is only the third player to reach that total. By comparison, Smurf Curry only has 5,401 career assists which is not even top 50.

Chris Paul crossed the 11,000 assist milestone last night. He is only the third player to reach that total. By comparison, Smurf Curry only has 5,401 career assists which is not even top 50.

Half of his FGs are from 3, sometimes almost 2/3rds. He's really a far more one-dimensional player than most realize. Sure, he gets some assists because hes their PG, and he rebounds long misses well.. but he basically roams around the perimeter for most of the game, taking shots that teams can't defend because he's a. good at it but more so. b. because that team is so damned stacked the defense has to honor the other 4 starters.

It's early in the season, but he has almost DOUBLE the 3point attempts as any top100 player that isn't Lillard and Huerter.

Reactions: DSmith21
Steph hit NINE shots in a row last night, is shooting almost 50% from the floor and from the three. And he has made all 22 free-throws. He has several steals, a block, and is leading a young team. Klay is a shell of himself; I feel for him, because prior to the injury in 2019, he was a top 20 player.

Steph hit NINE shots in a row last night, is shooting almost 50% from the floor and from the three. And he has made all 22 free-throws. He has several steals, a block, and is leading a young team. Klay is a shell of himself; I feel for him, because prior to the injury in 2019, he was a top 20 player.

Wow making free throws! No way!

Klay is still a dangerous wing and an elite basketball player. It's too early to tell as he's coming back off of injury. But even IF he's lost a step, you still have Andrew Wiggins as a guy who clearly prefers to be a 2nd option. The Golden State Warriors (thanks to a bit of a tank job for a year or two) really haven't missed a beat as they go from Klay/Draymond to Poole/Wiggins/others/.

Good grief, GS is not a young team; they are one of the oldest by average age. Every starter has been in the league at least 8 years (Looney is the youngest starter in his 8th season), some a lot more. They have some young guys (Poole, Wiseman) in their second unit like just about every other team. They also have the league's second oldest player in Iguodala who averaged roughly 20 minutes per game last season.

Last edited:
BTW, I love that sports media are now starting to realize that Golden State is basically buying their rings at this point. Was listening to local NY sports radio an hour ago and they mentioned this very thing when talking about the Yankees and whether or not they should spend money on Judge.

People are starting to get it. Golden State doesn't give a shit about the luxury tax and is fine spending more on it's roster than other teams. And aside from the fans/organization, who is the biggest beneficiary of stacking the deck in their favor? Steph Curry's legacy.

For the 2021 season, the Golden State Warriors grabbed the top spot for the second straight season as the team with the highest payroll in the NBA with $178.2 million. The Oklahoma City Thunder only spent a total of $78.1 million, sitting as the team with the lowest payroll in the ongoing season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT