ADVERTISEMENT

OFFICIAL KANSAS @ KENTUCKY THREAD

Well we get most of our shooters from mid majors and lower power 5 teams who evidently had success in a much better offense. They rarely come here and are successful at the level the transfers are at other schools. They come here and are forced to get their own shots against much better opposition in this sh*tty offense. When they are open they probably have Cal in their head so much they choke.
Who are these shooters that you're talking about ??

Reactions: jameslee32
Toppin and Oscar had 2 fouls in first half and Cal always sets you in such a case. CJ 's play was abominable and Cason plays hard and needs a blow occasionally, that's why you saw the strange lineups in first half although frankly it wouldn't have mattered since Wallace, Reeves or CJ didn't hit a 3 point shot in first half. In second half when it came time to dig deep and win KU was better snd tougher

But wait, offense isn't our problem. That’s what I keep reading on here.

See I don't really see that anywhere.
I think people have said that our defense is worse than our offense and it's a bigger problem. I don't know anyone can look at this year and say offense isn't a problem.

We don't have a good defense OR offense this season.

I think when people say offense isn't a problem, they are referring more to Cal's style of offense. Like we've had some really good offensive teams, even post 15. But nearly every single year, the defense has been worse. I think that's the main point. Offense certainly wasn't an issue last year.

There was a point in that second half of this game we were cutting into the lead but yet couldn't get just ONE stop on defense.

So? They're playing hack-a-shaq defense
So? What’s your point? You know how you counter that defense? It’s pretty easy. You either hit the easiest, least defended shot in all of basketball, or you get in the hands of someone who can hit them.

Why do people look at fouling discrepancy and conclude things like one team got a more favorable whistle?
Some teams don't foul as much as others on defense. This is a very real defensive skill.
Some teams force other teams to foul more on offense. This is also a very real repeatable offensive skill.

For the longest time under Cal we've had seasons where we have MADE more free throws than our opponents ATTEMPTED. That hasn't been the case in the last few years. But you cannot just look at a boxscore, see the difference in free throws and conclude one got a better whistle.

Reactions: Blue_2_the_bone
So? What’s your point? You know how you counter that defense? It’s pretty easy. You either hit the easiest, least defended shot in all of basketball, or you get in the hands of someone who can hit them.
My point is that even though the FT disparity is on our favor, the refs still let Kansas get away with a helluva lot of shit, especially on Oscar.
Doesn't absolve Cal, though. If he were worth a shit, he'd have been tossed in the first half over some of the egregious calls missed.

Why do people look at fouling discrepancy and conclude things like one team got a more favorable whistle?
Some teams don't foul as much as others on defense. This is a very real defensive skill.
Some teams force other teams to foul more on offense. This is also a very real repeatable offensive skill.

For the longest time under Cal we've had seasons where we have MADE more free throws than our opponents ATTEMPTED. That hasn't been the case in the last few years. But you cannot just look at a boxscore, see the difference in free throws and conclude one got a better whistle.
This. And Cal is content to just let it continue

Reactions: The_Answer1313
See I don't really see that anywhere.
I think people have said that our defense is worse than our offense and it's a bigger problem. I don't know anyone can look at this year and say offense isn't a problem.

We don't have a good defense OR offense this season.

I think when people say offense isn't a problem, they are referring more to Cal's style of offense. Like we've had some really good offensive teams, even post 15. But nearly every single year, the defense has been worse. I think that's the main point. Offense certainly wasn't an issue last year.

There was a point in that second half of this game we were cutting into the lead but yet couldn't get just ONE stop on defense.
Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.

KU is an elite offensive team. We held them to 75 points and part of the reason they got to 75 is because we missed shots and they got runouts.

Do you understand what that means? Our poor shooting created runouts for KU.

We missed 7 free throws in the first half. Toppin lost his mind 4 times today and went into street ball mode and CJ went 0-5 from 3 point range.

CJ and Reeves both shot airballs, 7 turnovers in the 2nd half and Cal played Wheeler and Ware… .together… for long stretches. 2 non scorers.

If we hit those open shots and KU doesn’t get runouts off the bricks we shot, we win going away.

I'm telling you man, offense is our problem.

You can still win these games with an average defense, but only if you have a legit offense.

My point is that even though the FT disparity is on our favor, the refs still let Kansas get away with a helluva lot of shit, especially on Oscar.
Doesn't absolve Cal, though. If he were worth a shit, he'd have been tossed in the first half over some of the egregious calls missed.
Sorry dude, you’re not gonna get me to go after the refs when we had a +15 FT disparity. Were there some bad calls? Yes, happens every single game.

If you think the refs had anything to do with the loss tonight we just will not find common ground. We just won’t.

Reactions: Benjamin2008
Hey, @The_Answer1313 , how many threes did we hit tonight?

You going to beat good teams only making two 3's, or no?

That's right, we hit two GD threes. But offense isn’t our problem. Hilarious.

Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.

KU is an elite offensive team. We held them to 75 points and part of the reason they got to 75 is because we missed shots and they got runouts.

Do you understand what that means? Our poor shooting created runouts for KU.

We missed 7 free throws in the first half. Toppin lost his mind 4 times today and went into street ball mode and CJ went 0-5 from 3 point range.

CJ and Reeves both shot airballs, 7 turnovers in the 2nd half and Cal played Wheeler and Ware… .together… for long stretches. 2 non scorers.

If we hit those open shots and KU doesn’t get runouts off the bricks we shot, we win going away.

I'm telling you man, offense is our problem.

You can still win these games with an average defense, but only if you have a legit offense.

Well for starters you're talking about 1 game.

I'm talking about an entire season.

We are 28th on offense. 61st on defense. In conference games among other conference teams we are 5th on offense. We are TENTH on defense. There's 14 SEC teams and we are TENTH.

It's not to say 28th isn't crap. It's just to say that 61st to go along with the 28th isn't going to get the job done here.

Hey, @The_Answer1313 , how many threes did we hit tonight?

You going to beat good teams only making two 3's, or no?

That's right, we hit two GD threes. But offense isn’t our problem. Hilarious.

Again you're putting words into my mouth I never uttered.
I never said offense "wasn't the problem". I said it wasn't as big of a problem as the defense. Which is true.

Sorry dude, you’re not gonna get me to go after the refs when we had a +15 FT disparity. Were there some bad calls? Yes, happens every single game.

If you think the refs had anything to do with the loss tonight we just will not find common ground. We just won’t.
I blame Cal as well, but just because we had a huge FT disparity doesn't mean we weren't hosed on the officiating. Oscar was mugged regularly with no calls. The foul on Toppin was particularly bad. Just counting fouls is no way to approach the assessment of how a game was called

Exactly.
People look at free throws one team has more so they got the favorable calls.
When in actuality they could have very well been the team that deserved even MORE FREE THROWS.

I blame Cal as well, but just because we had a huge FT disparity doesn't mean we weren't hosed on the officiating. Oscar was mugged regularly with no calls. The foul on Toppin was particularly bad. Just counting fouls is no way to approach the assessment of how a game was called
Counting fouls and FTs is the only way to approach assessing how a game was called from an objective standpoint. Everything else is subjective.

If we went into Phogoth Allen Field House and shot 15 less FTs what would you say?

Well for starters you're talking about 1 game.

I'm talking about an entire season.

We are 28th on offense. 61st on defense. In conference games among other conference teams we are 5th on offense. We are TENTH on defense. There's 14 SEC teams and we are TENTH.

It's not to say 28th isn't crap. It's just to say that 61st to go along with the 28th isn't going to get the job done here.
When the chips are down and the opponent has a pulse, our offense always sucks.

Go all the way back to 2010 west Virginia.

This crap happens too many times with Cal's teams.

But, yeah, it is about this one game, know why? Because it was a massive game and we choked. You have to score to take the pressure off the defense.

We couldn't score against Saint Peters, so our defense was on it's heels the whole game.

The best defense, is a great offense. These kids need to get in the GD gym and learn how to shoot. Cal needs to put a program in place to make sure they put in the work, because it's clear it's not happening.

Again you're putting words into my mouth I never uttered.
I never said offense "wasn't the problem". I said it wasn't as big of a problem as the defense. Which is true.
We held an elite offense to 75 and that’s with some of our poor shooting creating runouts for KU.

How many free throws, in your opinion, did we need in order to win?

Oh I thought it was fine today. That's certainly not the reason we lost the game.

I'm just making a general point here with all this.
I think people are too quick to look at a boxscore and think reffing was one sided.

I didn't see many fouls that they shouldn't have called on either team TBH. We had the advantage in free throws but I didn't think it was onesided.

When the chips are down and the opponent has a pulse, our offense always sucks.

Go all the way back to 2010 west Virginia.

This crap happens too many times with Cal's teams.

But, yeah, it is about this one game, know why? Because it was a massive game and we choked. You have to score to take the pressure off the defense.

We couldn't score against Saint Peters, so our defense was on it's heels the whole game.

The best defense, is a great offense. These kids need to get in the GD gym and learn how to shoot. Cal needs to put a program in place to make sure they put in the work, because it's clear it's not happening.

It feels like.... if we are down 10 and get it to within 2 we come back down and go turnver, give up a 2 or 3, come down take a bad shot, give up 2 more and are back down 10.

Even when UK is winning its the same thing..... Go up 10, get a stop, come down take a bad shot, give up a 3, go down with a chance to go up 9 then turn it over and give up 2 more and the lead is then 5 or even 4. Then we try to force a play and turn it over again.

This team is inconsistent as heck.

Reactions: kyjeff1
We held an elite offense to 75 and that’s with some of our poor shooting creating runouts for KU.

There was only 69 possessions.

Kansas was held under 1.11 13 times this season. So no, it was not some great defensive performance here. Thirteen teams this season out of the 21 total games they played managed better.

There was only 69 possessions.

Kansas was held under 1.11 13 times this season. So no, it was not some great defensive performance here. Thirteen teams this season out of the 21 total games they played managed better.
But when your offense doesn’t score, it puts more pressure on the defense. Every time our offense struggles, our defense gives up baskets.

Good offense generates good defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT