ADVERTISEMENT

Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Hembree and Garrett are bad and Bells loves to use them in high leverage situations. Bell is a crap manager

I also am so tired of Shogo, that dude is a miserable hitter. I’d leave him Atlanta
I guess Shogo shows you that Japanese ball is really about on par with AA or AAA. he was a career .300+ hitter over there.

Reactions: drew_ukfan
I guess Shogo shows you that Japanese ball is really about on par with AA or AAA. he was a career .300+ hitter over there.

I can’t stand that guy. He is so bad at the plate. I’d drop him and eat the salary, he’s that pathetic

And now, 538 projects the Reds have only a 20 percent chance at the playoffs, 5 percent to win the division, and less than 1% the WS!

Where are the Pirates when you need them??

• Haha
Reactions: WildcatDJ
The evening of August 16, I turn the game off after Votto collects hits 2,000 and 2,001, in an explosive 7th inning leading to at least a 12-0 Reds lead over the Cubs.

If the bullpen blows this one, I’ll read about it tomorrow!

Reactions: drew_ukfan
Well I think I was wrong, we’re not gonna catch the Brewers. So we need them to beat StL, Padres to lose to LA and SF, and the Phillies to suck down the stretch

After the Reds win, tonight, (but before the Padres game is decided) 538 has the Refs at 50% to the playoffs, and the Padres 37%!!

Padres just lost on left coast to Phillis.

The Reds and Padres are tied for the WC spot at 67-57, each!!!

The morning of August 22nd, the Reds and Padres remain knotted in the WC race for the last slot, but 538 baseball has the Reds at a 58 percent chance of making the playoffs, and the Padres at 33 percent.

They have the Reds at 58% and the Padres at 33% because of the Remaining schedules for these 2 teams. The Padres have a nightmare schedule to end the season. Padres play Phillies today, then 3 with Dodgers, 2 at the Angels and 3 more at Arizona where the Padres just lost 3 out of 4 in Arizona last week. Then the last 28 games for the Padres is where it gets tough for the Padres. The Padres have 16 out of 28 games with the Giants and Dodgers and 13 out of 16 games is on the road for the Padres. Then the other games are 3 with Houston, 3 at Cardinals, 2 with Angels, and 4 with the Braves and 1 of those is a make-up game. Those last 28 games are going to be tough for the Padres. Most of the Sports Channels are saying the Padres have the toughest schedule, then the Cardinals, Phillies, and the Reds with the easiest path to wildcard. If the Reds can take care of business and beat these teams coming up like Pirates 9 more games, 4 more with Miami, 4 with Nationals, 3 with Detroit, 3 with Chicago, 6 with St. Louis, 3 with Dodgers, 2 with White Sox, and the big 3 game series with Brewers starting Tuesday. It will be a interesting 5 or 6 week period for the Reds starting Tuesday in Milwaukee and the month of September.

They have the Reds at 58% and the Padres at 33% because of the Remaining schedules for these 2 teams. The Padres have a nightmare schedule to end the season. Padres play Phillies today, then 3 with Dodgers, 2 at the Angels and 3 more at Arizona where the Padres just lost 3 out of 4 in Arizona last week. Then the last 28 games for the Padres is where it gets tough for the Padres. The Padres have 16 out of 28 games with the Giants and Dodgers and 13 out of 16 games is on the road for the Padres. Then the other games are 3 with Houston, 3 at Cardinals, 2 with Angels, and 4 with the Braves and 1 of those is a make-up game. Those last 28 games are going to be tough for the Padres. Most of the Sports Channels are saying the Padres have the toughest schedule, then the Cardinals, Phillies, and the Reds with the easiest path to wildcard. If the Reds can take care of business and beat these teams coming up like Pirates 9 more games, 4 more with Miami, 4 with Nationals, 3 with Detroit, 3 with Chicago, 6 with St. Louis, 3 with Dodgers, 2 with White Sox, and the big 3 game series with Brewers starting Tuesday. It will be a interesting 5 or 6 week period for the Reds starting Tuesday in Milwaukee and the month of September.
Hoping the Reds can take 2 of three from the Brewers, that will keep them in great shape with the remaining schedule.

Reactions: The-Hack
They have the Reds at 58% and the Padres at 33% because of the Remaining schedules for these 2 teams.

And the evening of the 23rd, the Reds are at 65 percent for the playoffs.

A stunning turnaround in 30 days!!

So Rosters expand next week. I have a few questions.
Does Hunter Greene come up to shore up the bullpen? What about Nick Lodolo?
How come I didn't realize Jose' Barrero and Jose' Garcia were the same dude? I was like where did this guy come from all of a sudden?
I feel bad for Antone, did they designate Doolittle too soon? I know Doolittle did little, but there were worse in the bullpen.
Should they call it a wrap on Senzel? Dude hasn't had a single season where he's been fully healthy.
Should Suarez be traded? would he bring any value at this point? What's his contract situation? Should Moustakas take over 3rd permanantly?
Assuming they make the playoffs this year, but fall short of the WS and Besides an obvious bullpen overhaul, what would the Reds need to do in the offseason to solidify themselves as a legit World Series contender next season?

The rosters only inflate to 28 total. So not many additions will happen.

I look for the Reds to add 2 bullpen arms and 1 infielder or catcher.

I feel bad for Antone. How do you pitch 7 rehab games and then blow out the elbow on your first big league batter back? Wouldn’t be surprised if it leads to Tommy John surgery.

Reactions: CalCat57
So Rosters expand next week. I have a few questions.
Does Hunter Greene come up to shore up the bullpen? What about Nick Lodolo?
How come I didn't realize Jose' Barrero and Jose' Garcia were the same dude? I was like where did this guy come from all of a sudden?
I feel bad for Antone, did they designate Doolittle too soon? I know Doolittle did little, but there were worse in the bullpen.
Should they call it a wrap on Senzel? Dude hasn't had a single season where he's been fully healthy.
Should Suarez be traded? would he bring any value at this point? What's his contract situation? Should Moustakas take over 3rd permanantly?
Assuming they make the playoffs this year, but fall short of the WS and Besides an obvious bullpen overhaul, what would the Reds need to do in the offseason to solidify themselves as a legit World Series contender next season?
Reds need to dump Senzel but he can't stay healthy log enough to showcase for a trade. He no longer has a position on the team. India's at 2B, Nayquan firmly has CF, Barrero will be a 10 year MLB SS. While healthy earlier this year he could only manage 28 hits in 6 weeks of games, 23 of those hits were only singles. Not much of a future for Punch and Judy hitters in ML.

Reds need to dump Senzel but he can't stay healthy log enough to showcase for a trade. He no longer has a position on the team. India's at 2B, Nayquan firmly has CF, Barrero will be a 10 year MLB SS. While healthy earlier this year he could only manage 28 hits in 6 weeks of games, 23 of those hits were only singles. Not much of a future for Punch and Judy hitters in ML.
Does Naquin have CF locked up for a while now? or does his break out season make him valuable trade bait for some legit bullpen help?

Admittedly i'm not up much on guys contractual situations, but who would be some players on the roster that would be considered expendable in the off season?
Farmer? Aquino? Akiyama? What kind of return would they get for those guys?
What are the chances Castellanos opts out of his contract after the season? He's making pretty good pay as it is, but could he parlay a damn near MVP season into a huge payday elsewhere?

Does Naquin have CF locked up for a while now? or does his break out season make him valuable trade bait for some legit bullpen help?

Admittedly i'm not up much on guys contractual situations, but who would be some players on the roster that would be considered expendable in the off season?
Farmer? Aquino? Akiyama? What kind of return would they get for those guys?
What are the chances Castellanos opts out of his contract after the season? He's making pretty good pay as it is, but could he parlay a damn near MVP season into a huge payday elsewhere?
Yeah, I'm not up on contracts either. I think you have to keep Naquin, good CFs who hit are hard to find. Lefty bat too. Shogo may have a no trade thing. Farmer could be trade bait, maybe Aquino. I think they may look to move Gray while they can get a little something for him. Have to make way for Greene/Lodolo anyway. I look for NC to haul. I think, guess I hope, Reds will be active this off season. Gotta fix that god-awful bullpen.

Yeah, I'm not up on contracts either. I think you have to keep Naquin, good CFs who hit are hard to find. Lefty bat too. Shogo may have a no trade thing. Farmer could be trade bait, maybe Aquino. I think they may look to move Gray while they can get a little something for him. Have to make way for Greene/Lodolo anyway. I look for NC to haul. I think, guess I hope, Reds will be active this off season. Gotta fix that god-awful bullpen.
NC is set to make 16 mil next year if he stays and 20 mil in 2023 if he stays till then. What kind of deal would it take for him to leave? 36 mil over two years is pretty good coin, hopefully it's enough to keep him in Cincy for another couple of years.

I was leary of Gutierrez down the stretch being a rookie and all, thought he would hit a wall or be wildly inconsistent, but he seems to get stronger and stronger as the season rolls on. Hoping he's a mainstay in the rotation for a few years.

Last edited:
NC is set to make 16 mil next year if he stays and 20 mil in 2023 if he stays till then. What kind of deal would it take for him to leave? 36 mil over two years is pretty good coin, hopefully it's enough to keep him in Cincy for another couple of years.

I was leary of Gutierrez down the stretch being a rookie and all, thought he would hit a wall or be wildly inconsistent, but he seems to get stronger and stronger as the season rolls on. Hoping he's a mainstay in the rotation for a few years.
Like I said, I'm not familiar with contracts. Maybe $36M will be enough to keep NC around but this may be his last best chance for a major boost.

VG seems to have the make up really good pitchers have, he's been impressive. Reds need to fix that atrocious bullpen, it's costing them dearly.

And the evening of the 23rd, the Reds are at 65 percent for the playoffs.

A stunning turnaround in 30 days!!

And as of the am on the 27th, a 74 percent chance.

As poor as the bullpen has been, the Padres, Cardinals and the collapsing Cubs show little chance of catching the Reds for the last WC slot.

A real good bullpen, and this team would have won 100 reg. season games, but can still shoot for 90.

As poor as the bullpen has been, the Padres, Cardinals and the collapsing Cubs show little chance of catching the Reds for the last WC slot.

A real good bullpen, and this team would have won 100 reg. season games, but can still shoot for 90.
Better shoot for 92 or 93 IMO. Anything less and I think the Reds get caught.

Last couple of weeks or so Reds have lost series to two bad clubs, Cubs/Miami. Just can't do that while fighting for a playoff spot. Hitting has taken a hike, starting pitching's been OK, bullpen been typical. Better step it up soon.

Why is Suarez playing? Didn’t they just pick up a 3rd baseman? Anyone can make contact better than Suarez.

And now the morning of September 1st, 59% chance of playoffs, less than 1 percent chance of winning the Central.

Padres are, again, tied for the last wildcard slot.

Bats had better heat back up!!

We’re done. Winker getting hurt along with Votto and India going ice cold has killed our offense.

I don't believe the Reds are quite done yet fighting for the 2nd Wildcard spot. The Reds have 22 games left on the Schedule and 13 are with the Pirates and Nationals. The Pirates and Nationals have both only won 7 games in last 30 games and are the 2 worst teams in MLB.

The Reds with the Phillies have the easier schedule for the Remainder of the Season. The Phils have Milwaukee today, then 4 with Rockies, 3 with Cubs, 3 at Mets, 3 at Braves, 3 at Marlins, 3 with Orioles, and 4 with Pirates. The Reds have today with Cubs, 3 at Cards, 9 with Pirates, 4 with Nationals, 3 with Dodgers, 2 at White Sox. The Padres have 16 out of 22 games with the Dodgers and Giants and 13 out of 16 Padres play on the Road. Then the Padres have 3 at Cards and 3 with Braves. The Cards have 2 more with Dodgers, 7 with Brewers and 7 with Cubs, 3 with Reds, 3 at Mets, 3 with Padres. The Reds need to take care of Business and hopefully get Winker back this weekend or starting Monday at Pirates and get the Offense back to where it was before Winker went down with Injury. The Starting pitching to continue to pitch well and the Relievers have been doing better. If the Reds and Phillies would happen to end with a Tie the Reds would Win the Tiebreaker with the 4-2 overall Series wins over Phillies this year.

I still believe the Reds have a chance to win that second Wildcard spot. The Reds start tonight in St. Louis for 3 games and the Reds get Lester, Mikolas, and Happ like last week in Cincy. The Reds once again miss the Cards 2 best starters in Wainwright and Kim. The Reds need to take 2 out of 3 this weekend before heading for 3 at Pirates. Then the Reds come home for 10 home games vs. 3 with Pirates, 4 with Nationals, 3 with Dodgers before going to the Sox for 2 and 3 at Pirates to end the season. The Padres have 16 out of 22 with the Dodgers and Giants and 13 of those for the Padres are on the Road plus 3 at Cards and 3 with Braves. That is the toughest schedule in MLB in last 22 games. The Cards have 3 with Reds, 3 at Mets, 3 with Padres, 7 with Brewers, and 7 with Cubs. The Phils have 3 more with Rockies, 3 at Mets, 3 at Braves, 3 at Marlins, 3 with Orioles, 4 with Pirates, and 3 with Cubs. The Reds and Phillies have the easiest schedules with Padres and Cards with the tougher schedules.

The Reds need to take care of business and win 2 out of 3 with Cards this weekend. The Reds need to continue to have good starting pitching and continue to have decent relief pitching with the Right relievers in to close in late innings. The Reds Offense needs to break out of this slump they have been in over the last 5 series going 5-10 in last 15 games. If the Reds can hit like they were in previous 13 games before there Slump the Reds were averaging 6 runs per game. In the 15 games when the Reds went 5-10 the Reds were averaging only 2 runs per game. That is huge going from averaging 6 runs per game to averaging 2 runs per game when going 5-10 in those 5 series the Reds lost. If the Reds offense can get back to where they were hitting each game and the Starters and Relievers continue with good consistent pitching the Reds can win the 2nd Wildcard spot.

Watching the Reds try to hit LH pitching is like watching me try to get a date with a super model....both impossible.

Officially on life support. Reds need to win 9-10 of their remaining 12 games to catch St. Louis. Cards have 7 games left vs the Brewers. Got to hope Milwaukee doesn't lay down now that they've clinched.
Just gave Bell a two year extension. SMDH. Just a monumental collapse the last month. Likely to miss the playoffs now. Bell needs to be gone.

Just gave Bell a two year extension. SMDH. Just a monumental collapse the last month. Likely to miss the playoffs now. Bell needs to be gone.
Don't disagree re Bell but honestly his hands are tied. They have an owner who's unable or unwilling to pay for the top FAs and maybe the worst GM in the game. Their thought is if they can play .500 or slightly above everything's hunkey-dorey. Pitiful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT