ADVERTISEMENT

Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

I don’t think the Reds were going to do anything and hope for guys to return from IL. But after Lorenzen gets hurt first game back, they may be forced to go get a reliever. Their pen is pitiful!
I think they need a proven starter to help the back end of the rotation, plus a couple of relievers, Maybe a true closer. I think players that can be moved? Aquino, Naquin, Maybe Farmer to get some value. A quality shortstop would be a good pickup as well.

I think they need a proven starter to help the back end of the rotation, plus a couple of relievers, Maybe a true closer. I think players that can be moved? Aquino, Naquin, Maybe Farmer to get some value. A quality shortstop would be a good pickup as well.
As for SS instill Barrero there now, today and leave him there for the rest of the year. Let's see what he can do., beats having the AA utility there they've had to date and may pay off. Probably need too much pitching to get them over the top.

Well see what Gutierrez has for us tonight. He's had some good looking innings and then some where you see why he wasn't in the rotation earlier.

Well see what Gutierrez has for us tonight. He's had some good looking innings and then some where you see why he wasn't in the rotation earlier.
That's why I said they need another proven starter, even if for a half season. Gutierrez has largely been impressive, but he's a rookie and subject to inconsistency. I wouldn't want to rely on him for the stretch run.

That's why I said they need another proven starter, even if for a half season. Gutierrez has largely been impressive, but he's a rookie and subject to inconsistency. I wouldn't want to rely on him for the stretch run.
I'm in the give Tejay a shot at joining the rotation club. Of course, that would require us to bolster the bullpen even further....so when pigs fly I guess.

The post All-Star funk is in full swing.
At what point do they sit or trade Suarez? He’s officially a liability at the plate. If Moustakas comes back healthy soon, Suarez needs to sit the bench and let Moose man third for a while. Hell they could literally bring back Todd Frazier out of free agency and get more production out of the position.

I check the standings every morning, expecting that the Brewers will have put the Reds away.

Still down 6.5 games!

Still in a race!

Need a ten game home stand against the Pirates!!

Reactions: deep3 and cats1068
Of the 56 remaining Reds games, I think I counted 22 against teams at the bottom of their respective division, including two games coming next against the Twins, and a lot against Pittsburgh.

Given that all baseball divisions have at least 5 teams, and most 6 teams, typically any lengthy stretch of a season would include 16.5 % to 20% against teams last in their division.

The Reds have 40%+ of their remaining schedule against bottom feeders, are getting healthy in the next two weeks, and have shored up their bullpen.

August and September will make for interesting baseball!!

Unfortunately, the Reds do not play the Orioles or Diamond Backs, henceforth, who have combined for only 70 wins, to date.

Last edited:
Of the 56 remaining Reds games, I think I counted 22 against teams at the bottom of their respective division, including two games coming next against the Twins, and a lot against Pittsburgh.

Given that all baseball divisions have at least 5 teams, and most 6 teams, typically any lengthy stretch of a season would include 16.5 % to 20% against teams last in their division.

The Reds have 40%+ of their remaining schedule against bottom feeders, are getting healthy in the next two weeks, and have shored up their bullpen.

August and September will make for interesting baseball!!
Unfortunately they've played some of their worst baseball against some of the worst teams, see DBacks/Rockies. Don't know how many games, if any, they have vs those two teams.

Unfortunately they've played some of their worst baseball against some of the worst teams, see DBacks/Rockies. Don't know how many games, if any, they have vs those two teams.

Yeah. A losing record against the D-backs, IIRC.

And curiously, the Reds are only .500 at home!!

Reactions: mrschwump
At what point do they sit or trade Suarez? He’s officially a liability at the plate. If Moustakas comes back healthy soon, Suarez needs to sit the bench and let Moose man third for a while. Hell they could literally bring back Todd Frazier out of free agency and get more production out of the position.
Agree totally. He is an automatic out. He should be a pinch hitter at best. His BA is well below .200.

I am still amazed at the 9th inning to bring in Hembree and once again a 3-run homer. After sitting and watching Cessa, Lorenzen, and Givens go through 3 innings and no runs I kept thing well now it is Wilson's turn. NO, the one and only Hembree and after the 2 walks was watching and thinking when the homerun ball was coming and it didn't take long. This was another terrible loss for the Reds and this bullpen with Hembree, Hendrix, Osich, and Garrett has been terrible this year. Just since the All-Star Break the Reds have blown 6 games they should have won and could be sitting at 62-45 and a game and half behind the Brewers. The Reds could be leading the Wildcard Standings too. The one thing I don't like with Bell is how he handles his Starters and especially how he handles the Relievers. I don't get it where Bell can't let either Lorenzen, Cessa, or Givens go 2-innings in some games. These 3 relief pitchers tonight went 3 innings and NO Runs and then of course Hembree enters and blows the Win for the Reds and a chance to pick up a game on the Brewers. The relief pitching since the Chicago Cubs series with Lorenzen, Cessa, Givens, and Wilson has pitched 14 innings, No Runs, and 12 strikeouts. It is too bad the Reds didn't have these 4 relievers to go with Sims, Antone, and a decent closer like Iglesias. Iglesias started out slow with Angels but in his last 2-3 months he is 7-3, in 48 innings, with a 3.00 era, 23 saves, and 75 strikeouts.

Actually Givens was extremely lucky to get out of the 8th without giving any runs was not impressed with him loading the bases then got a hard hit groundball right at the 3rd basemen for a 5-4- 3-D P

Then anyone could see the home run coming a mile away the batter was taking vicious rips and just barely missing every pitch

Until he didn't miss😫

Bell is there simply because of his last name. Reds have a very talented roster but have no one to manage it to get wins in situations like last night.

Will be another wasted season of what ifs and maybe's. The local homers around the team will say nothing or question anything. Kind of like the ones that cover UK.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Bell is there simply because of his last name. Reds have a very talented roster but have no one to manage it to get wins in situations like last night.

Will be another wasted season of what ifs and maybe's. The local homers around the team will say nothing or question anything. Kind of like the ones that cover UK.
Bell is a clown and is in over his head.

I think there are many of the Reds fanbase that says Bell is there because of last name. The Reds this year if mgmt. would have addressed at least the Bullpen problem they left from last year this team should be in 1st place in NL Central. The Reds have an outstanding starting rotation and they have an outstanding 1-8 lineup. There offense and power this year has been one of the best in the NL. This team could easily be 20-25 games over .500 right now. If you go back and look at all of the losses that came in the 7th, 8th, or 9th inning this year by some our relievers it would make most of us sick. It was a shame that with this outstanding team for the Reds this year that the mgmt. didn't try to be bring in 2 or 3 solid relievers, a setup, and a solid closer. If this Reds team had an outstanding Bullpen to go with the Starting Rotation and our 1-8 lineup and offense this Reds team could have made a deep run in the Playoffs this year.

Can someone remind me of why the last name "Bell," is significant?
Gus Bell was a Reds OF long ago, guess he was grandfather or some such. Buddy Bell was a past Reds 3B, maybe coach or some such. Bell family was been entrenched in Reds lore for decades.

Reactions: The-Hack
As of the evening of August 6, 538 has our Reds at a 29% chance of making the playoffs!!

And, now on August 8, at 1:30 am, 538 has the Reds at a 34% chance of playoffs, 12% of winning the Central and a solid 1% of winning the WS!!

They are down six games to Central-leading Milwaukee, and 2.5 games behind the Padres for the second WC slot.

The numbers are growing!!

Last edited:
If only they held on to half of those 8th and 9th inning losses! 😡😡😡

The offense has certainly done its share.

We’re making the playoffs.

to get to 95 wins, the Reds need to 34-16 the remaining 50 games. I know this seems like a big ask but they’ve got 9 games against the Pirates, 7 against Miami, 3 against Detroit, 4 against Washington, and 6 against the Cubs. That’s 30 games against really bad teams, let’s win 22 of those. Then we just need to go 12-8 against Milwaukee, Philly, Atlanta, StL, white socks, and Dodgers

very doable for an offense that is blazing hot and a very solid rotation. Bullpen is better than it was a month ago and will get Antone back soon

we’re making the playoffs, and we’re winning the division

And, now on August 8, at 1:30 am, 538 has the Reds at a 34% chance of playoffs, 12% of winning the Central and a solid 1% of winning the WS!!

And one day later, the numbers are 36% to make playoffs, 16% to win the Central, and 2% to win the WS!!

Still growing!!

Reactions: WildcatDJ
And one day later, the numbers are 36% to make playoffs, 16% to win the Central, and 2% to win the WS!!

Still growing!!
So how many more years do the Reds go after this elusive Playoff spot. say they make the playoffs this year as a wildcard and make it to the NLCS before bowing out. Do they consider that as a win and begin the selloff and leave us fans in the lurch for another 10 years? Or do they try to keep this group together trade Suarez for a bona fide shortstop (not that Farmer hasn't performed well) and pick up a few more arms for the pen and maybe a real shutdown closer and make another run for it? Who do we lose for sure this year and when does Winker become too expensive to keep around?

So how many more years do the Reds go after this elusive Playoff spot. say they make the playoffs this year as a wildcard and make it to the NLCS before bowing out. Do they consider that as a win and begin the selloff and leave us fans in the lurch for another 10 years? Or do they try to keep this group together trade Suarez for a bona fide shortstop (not that Farmer hasn't performed well) and pick up a few more arms for the pen and maybe a real shutdown closer and make another run for it? Who do we lose for sure this year and when does Winker become too expensive to keep around?

Make it to the playoffs and then you never know what can happen. Consistent playoff teams will eventually make a run. We made it last year and we’re gonna do it again.

We’ve got 2 top rookies on the team now in India and Stephenson, a good farm with Greene, Lodolo, Hendrick, Barrero, etc coming along and Winker, Mahle, Castillo under control for a few more years.

Only person that we for sure lose of significance from this year Is Michael Lorenzen. You can easily re-sign Wade Miley and Tucker Barnhart has a team option.

Yes, Suarez needs to be moved and Castellanos might opt out but the ownership has put us in a pretty decent position to compete for the next 5 years imo.
Also don’t forget, the Cubs and Pirates will be awful for years to come and the Cardinals have a lot of money tied up in aging player while they have a bad farm system.

the future is very bright for the Reds

Do they consider that as a win and begin the selloff and leave us fans in the lurch for another 10 years?

And these questions are why I can’t quite put my heart and soul into pro baseball.

Is it simply for profit?

If so, wouldn’t it always be more profitable to make modest runs at the playoffs, but never try to spend the money needed to keep up with the NYY, Dodgers, etc.?

But with 81 home games, an extra 10K fannies at the park X $10.00 bucks is an additional 8 million.

And wouldn’t the investment payoff by getting more Kentucky/WV/Indiana radio stations, etc.?

I just don’t know enough about the business end of it. But if Marge Schott could put together the 1990 Reds, how incompetent has management been from 2014-2019?

We hear that the Reds are “small market,” but they have 3 times the payroll of Cleveland, and more than the Brewers.

Make it to the playoffs and then you never know what can happen. Consistent playoff teams will eventually make a run. We made it last year and we’re gonna do it again.

We’ve got 2 top rookies on the team now in India and Stephenson, a good farm with Greene, Lodolo, Hendrick, Barrero, etc coming along and Winker, Mahle, Castillo under control for a few more years.

Only person that we for sure lose of significance from this year Is Michael Lorenzen. You can easily re-sign Wade Miley and Tucker Barnhart has a team option.

Yes, Suarez needs to be moved and Castellanos might opt out but the ownership has put us in a pretty decent position to compete for the next 5 years imo.
Also don’t forget, the Cubs and Pirates will be awful for years to come and the Cardinals have a lot of money tied up in aging player while they have a bad farm system.

the future is very bright for the Reds
The Brewers seem to be doing a lot right.
With the emergence of Stephenson, and with a couple of Catchers in the farm system, including the one we just drafted (though he's probably a couple of years out), does that make Barnhart expendable? Seems like he would be a pretty good bargaining chip for a quality player.

And these questions are why I can’t quite put my heart and soul into pro baseball.

Is it simply for profit?

If so, wouldn’t it always be more profitable to make modest runs at the playoffs, but never try to spend the money needed to keep up with the NYY, Dodgers, etc.?

But with 81 home games, an extra 10K fannies at the park X $10.00 bucks is an additional 8 million.

And wouldn’t the investment payoff by getting more Kentucky/WV/Indiana radio stations, etc.?

I just don’t know enough about the business end of it. But if Marge Schott could put together the 1990 Reds, how incompetent has management been from 2014-2019?

We hear that the Reds are “small market,” but they have 3 times the payroll of Cleveland, and more than the Brewers.
That high payroll is why I fear a selloff if this season is marginally successful and fans placated for a bit. I think they spent a ton to try and get that elusive playoff spot instead of consistently building. Though they do have a lot of young talent now that is stepping up. India was an unexpected gift this year.

The Brewers seem to be doing a lot right.
With the emergence of Stephenson, and with a couple of Catchers in the farm system, including the one we just drafted (though he's probably a couple of years out), does that make Barnhart expendable? Seems like he would be a pretty good bargaining chip for a quality player.
Maybe. He’s definitely got some value but he’s only under control for next season so the return isn’t going to be anything outstanding. Imo there’s no one immediately in the farm system that’s ready to come up so you’d still need a backup catcher.
The NL will also likely adopt the DH next season so having both Barnhart and Stephenson (DHing or playing 1st) isn’t a bad thing. I’d definitely shop him but I wouldn’t expect him to be moved. His defense is lightyears ahead of TySteve.

Maybe. He’s definitely got some value but he’s only under control for next season so the return isn’t going to be anything outstanding. Imo there’s no one immediately in the farm system that’s ready to come up so you’d still need a backup catcher.
The NL will also likely adopt the DH next season so having both Barnhart and Stephenson (DHing or playing 1st) isn’t a bad thing. I’d definitely shop him but I wouldn’t expect him to be moved. His defense is lightyears ahead of TySteve.
They literally walked us to a loss last night...crap way to lose

Reactions: drew_ukfan
They literally walked us to a loss last night...crap way to lose
Hembree and Garrett are bad and Bells loves to use them in high leverage situations. Bell is a crap manager

I also am so tired of Shogo, that dude is a miserable hitter. I’d leave him Atlanta

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT