ADVERTISEMENT

Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

If every pitcher was Wade Miley, baseball would be about 500% more popular. Never takes his eyes off the catcher, throws 85-90 MPH, but always around the strike zone, ball most often in play quickly and the pace of play is a joy to watch.

Reactions: deep3
If every pitcher was Wade Miley, baseball would be about 500% more popular. Never takes his eyes off the catcher, throws 85-90 MPH, but always around the strike zone, ball most often in play quickly and the pace of play is a joy to watch.

Sounds like a description of Greg Maddox in the 90’s!

In response to my own posts, above:

“Conversely, the shortest interval between no-hitters was a mere four days, between the two consecutive no-hitters pitched by Johnny Vander Meer, on June 11 and June 15, 1938.[6]”

Wikipedia is my friend!!
Vander Meer was still on the Red’s pitching staff in 1947 when teammate Ewell Blackwell no hit the Braves and in his next start took a no hitter into the 9th inning against the Dodgers before giving up 2 hits, the closest anyone has come to duplicating Vander Meer’s feat.

thread reminds me of my dad who was a fount of classic baseball trivia

Reactions: The-Hack
Well, Reds fans, have we started to say "Wait til next year" again? Or is there still hope?

Well, Reds fans, have we started to say "Wait til next year" again? Or is there still hope?

Hmmm.

Everytime I get hopeless, they surprise me.

First series win in St. Louise in a Coon’s age, and a shot at the sweep!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tskware
There's plenty of hope left. Votto, Moose, and Senzel have all been on IL for awhile. No one was complaining when we weren't down to 2/3rds of our starting lineup. Reds were kicking ass and will be again in short order.

When we get our full starting lineup back, look out!

Yeah, if Moose gets healthy, we might have power enough to disregard the bullpen!!

Quick: name three outstanding members of the Red’s bullpen in 1975?!?!

Pedro Borbone springs to mind, but I have his autograph.

Hell, GO REDS! Beat ‘em 17 to 14!!

Only 104 players have hit 3 or more HR’s in a game.

Only about a dozen have two such games in a season.

Only two have done it three times in a season . . . and one was B. Bonds, soooo . . . .

Winker has a lot of baseball left in ‘21 to do it a couple more times!!

Reds showed a lot of patience with Winker and it is now paying off, hope they do the same with Senzel.

Reds showed a lot of patience with Winker and it is now paying off, hope they do the same with Senzel.
I'm far from being enamored with Senzel. One of the most overrated players I've seen in a long time. He has decent speed but that's about it. Has poor recognition of strike zone is overpowered by MLB fastballs and is yet to see the breaking ball in the dirt he won't chase. Managed to make it thru almost 2 months of play this year before getting hurt....again... and had 28 hits of which 23 were singles. Has single digit RBIs so lacks power and isn't a RBI guy. On top of that he's injury prone, incredibly fragile. Reds amateur scouting dept takes a hit on this one IMO. Then the question of where do you play him? Nyquan has CF plus is a lefty bat with pop. India, whom I'm not completely sold on just yet, has 2B and does have some potential. Reds need to bite the bullet here, get Senzel as healthy as you can and dump him.

I'm far from being enamored with Senzel. One of the most overrated players I've seen in a long time. He has decent speed but that's about it. Has poor recognition of strike zone is overpowered by MLB fastballs and is yet to see the breaking ball in the dirt he won't chase. Managed to make it thru almost 2 months of play this year before getting hurt....again... and had 28 hits of which 23 were singles. Has single digit RBIs so lacks power and isn't a RBI guy. On top of that he's injury prone, incredibly fragile. Reds amateur scouting dept takes a hit on this one IMO. Then the question of where do you play him? Nyquan has CF plus is a lefty bat with pop. India, whom I'm not completely sold on just yet, has 2B and does have some potential. Reds need to bite the bullet here, get Senzel as healthy as you can and dump him.
Yeah I'm starting to wonder if we shouldn't cut bait on him while we can get something in return.

Reactions: mrschwump
Well, we are officially back to .500 as of June 12. My hope was to be there at the AllStar break. Thinking it could happen.

This Reds team could easily be in 1st place in Central if our Bullpen and 2 more relievers like Antone and a closer and this team could make the Playoffs again. You would think after the Upper Management saved close to $40 million with Bauer, Iglesias, and a few more that the Reds would have spent some on a couple of Relievers and a closer. The minor league pitching is doing awesome. I have been following some starter from Chatanooga and Dayton and they are impressive. The top 2 starters in Greene and Lodolo are going to be outstanding and add Santillan and Gutierrez and the Reds starters are going to be Awesome.

I would also look at Senzil being 26 and how great Tyler Naquin has performed this year coming over from Cleveland. Naquin is hitting .261 with 11 homers and 40 rbi's. The Reds outfield right now with Naquin, Winker, and Castellanos. The combined outfield is hitting .330, 41 hr's, 115 rbi's. That is an awesome outfield and Castellanos hitting .362 and Winker .340. I would try to see with Tyler Naquin being 29 signing him to a 2 or 3 year deal to keep him around a couple more seasons! Many of the Experts on ESPN MLB were saying to try and sign Winker to a 4 or 5 year deal before it becomes of course to expensive for the Reds and all the Reds will do is trade him off for youth. I am excited to see with Antone getting back and getting Lorenzen back into the bullpen with Sims, and hopefully Garrett comes back to where he was the last couple of seasons and get this bullpen somewhat better. Once we get all of our players off the DL and hopefully remain healthy heading to the All-Star Break and the 2nd Half of the season this Reds can make run to 1st place and the Playoffs!

Excited to see Tony Santillan today. Gutierrez has been a hell of an addition to the rotation so far. Walked into Wrigley and Busch and tore em up and then came home and kept on ticking. Let's go boys!

Reactions: cats1068
11 of the last 14, and leading baseball in double-digit scoring?!?!?

A rookie starter at 3-1 in his first 4 starts?!?!?

Moustakas not even back, yet?!?!?!

Votto with a six game hitting and RBI streak?!?!?!

Hmmmm.

Nate Silver gives Reds only 18% chance of playoffs, 7 percent to win the Central (as of June 14, 2021). That’ll be a number to watch!!

Really looking good, get some pitchers back and and find a closer is key at the moment. NL Central is not a strong division, Reds could be in it all season long.

The Reds are going to have to continue playing outstanding baseball before All-star break. If not, then we know what the Upper Mgmt will start doing for next couple of seasons another sale of the expensive Reds and then on for the 20th rebuild in Cincy!

We heard it all before this season started when Reds front office starting with Bauer which we all knew that would happen. Then to closer Iglesias, DeSclafani, Archie Bradley, and few others which was close to $40 million in savings for the Reds. Then during Spring Training we was hearing rumors about Gray, Castellanos, and others trying to be dealt before season 2021 started. I mean with who Cincinnati has from 1-8 batting and offense and even starting pitching minus Bauer and Desclafani the Reds front office just needed to concentrate on Bullpen and Shortstop. Once again Reds front office failed the fans again for how many times now?

It is funny to look at the San Francisco Giants starting pitchers it is all past REDS starting pitchers. You have Cueto, Gausman, Desclafani, and Alex Wood. This is why the Giants are in 1st out West with there Starters at 27-12 and 3.00 era in 1st half of MLB.

I will say that Cincinnati Reds will be exciting in the next few years with there youth at Starting Pitching down in Minors. Now, if the Front Office can get Winker and a couple of the youth players signed and try to hang on Castellanos after this season the Reds could be back to the top of NL Central. Just like when we had Dusty Baker and even though Cincy lost in 1st round of playoffs the Reds were in Playoffs three 3 of 4 years under Baker through 2010-2013. The Front Office just needs to hang on to this offensive team we have assembled and add to the bullpen next season. The Reds will have starting pitching youngsters in Lodolo, Greene, Gutierrez, Santillan, and there are 3 or 4 more between Louisville, Chatanooga, and Dayton. This could be an outstanding 7 or 8 year period for the REDS if the Upper Management handles this right for the future. The REDS upper management knows the Fans of Cincy will sell out Great American Ballpark if the Reds are in the HUNT for the Playoffs. They could have 35,000-40,000 fans a night during the Summer if the Reds Upper Mgmt keeps the Reds competitive and in the hunt for the Playoffs each summer!

It is funny to look at the San Francisco Giants starting pitchers it is all past REDS starting pitchers. You have Cueto, Gausman, Desclafani, and Alex Wood. This is why the Giants are in 1st out West with there Starters at 27-12 and 3.00 era in 1st half of MLB.

I could be wrong, but do not remember Gausman and Desclafani pitching well for the Reds, so it did not seem like much of a loss at the time.

I don’t think I will pick this week to complain about the front office.

2 games out of first, and a road sweep of both the Cardinals and Brewers the last two weeks might mean they spend some of that 40 million savings before the deadline!!

Now that REDS have lost 3 straight in San Diego and I could feel this after Thursday's 9th inning giving up 4 runs after Reds came back to lead 4-2. Once again lets thank our mighty bullpen that when a reliever comes in they have a 6.00 to 9.00 era. We have 2 right now that are doing fine and one Antone is out and Sims is up and down from one appearance to the next. The Reds Front Office has to come up with a Plan nearing the All-Star Break and the Reds still in the Central. The Central this year is terrible and now the Brewers have been playing bad. The Cardinals don't have that dominating starting pitching and the Cubs is about the same in pitching. I believe right now that the Reds when healthy has the strongest starting pitching in the Central. Once Gray returns to go with our Ace Mahle, Miley, Castillo has started to pitch better, and rookie Gutierrez. I would put Santillan in the bullpen once Gray returns and when Hoffman returns do the same. Then you have Antone, Sims, Hoffman, Santillan, Art Warren and Brad Brach have done ok most of time. Still need another 2-3 relievers like Antone to come in and take care of business. I just don't know if the Front Office is willing to spend any money this year?

Won 6 in a row, then drop 5 in a row.

It’s a marathon, not a sprint.

The only saving grace is that the rest of the Central keeps losing at almost as fast a rate.

Reds are frustrating! Just when it looks like they are going on a roll, they flop. I’m totally not impressed with Votto. IMO he’s stayed too long!

Well, at least Castillo has finally woke up and has pitched great last few starts. I wonder if Winker/Castellanos will continue to bat 1-2 in the NL, if they don't not sure how long the Reds can stay in the race, they have been absolutely smoking the ball all year.

I’m totally not impressed with Votto. IMO he’s stayed too long!

He and we know he’s headed for a rocking chair, soon enough.

But that old Canadian can still turn it on when he has to!!

The Reds lead the Majors in one run wins, like 15-9, and the bullpen has shown up.

Get a couple of folks heathy after the AS break, and beat the Brewers head-to-head and who knows?

This team is enjoying playing baseball!

As of Saturday Night, July 10th, the Reds are the hottest team in baseball the last 10, at 8-2.

Five out of 1st, with a shot Sunday of taking 3 out of 4 from the Brewers in Milwaukee, before a 3 game home stand against the Brew Crew.

The win last night was one for the ages: Suarez homers on the Brewer’s closer, who had damn near a 0 ERA.

HERE COME YOUR REDS!!!

Reactions: WildcatDJ
As of Saturday Night, July 10th, the Reds are the hottest team in baseball the last 10, at 8-2.

Five out of 1st, with a shot Sunday of taking 3 out of 4 from the Brewers in Milwaukee, before a 3 game home stand against the Brew Crew.

The win last night was one for the ages: Suarez homers on the Brewer’s closer, who had damn near a 0 ERA.

HERE COME YOUR REDS!!!
I'm going up there at least one game with my brother-in-law and another with some clients if I can find some time in the next couple of weeks

I'm going up there at least one game with my brother-in-law and another with some clients if I can find some time in the next couple of weeks

Yep. I’ll put some money where my mouth is after the break.

If the Reds can seat 30K fannies in the second half, maybe the front office can keep Suarez, Castellanos, Moose and friends intact for a couple of years!!

The last two games are pretty amazing. Hader is the best closer in baseball, will be the National League’s closer in the All-Star game, and the Reds pummel him on successive nights to take two wins in the 9th.

The Reds lead pro baseball in one run wins, their bullpen is 6th best in pro ball since June 10th, they won 9 of 11 before the break, and have swept all their division opponents at least once, the first time since 1990, and did it in the first half!!

Something is happening, here!

Last edited:
Yesterday was the 8th different pitcher to record a save for the Reds, which ties a franchise record. If they had a real closer, their bullpen would be a real strength.

Yesterday was the 8th different pitcher to record a save for the Reds, which ties a franchise record. If they had a real closer, their bullpen would be a real strength.

If they can just get through the seventh and eighth!!

So the trade deadline is approaching and I haven't heard or seen anything at all in the way of rumored trades or roster moves the Reds might make for the stretch run. Obviously they are in a buyers position and this weekend 3 game set against the Brewers will play big in just how serious they are about contending. A sweep put them within one game of the lead. I'm just hoping they don't lose ground, can stay within striking distance and keep the rest of the NL central behind them in the standings.

Any speculation on who they can move and who they should pursue? Need Bull Pen help straight away, maybe another starter if even for 1/2 a season. I'm a bit worried about Gray's health. Guitierez (sp) has been a bright spot, but he's bound to hit a wall at some point. His future is bright though. Lodolo and Green are a year away, though I wouldn't mind seeing Green bolster the bullpen in September.

I don’t think the Reds were going to do anything and hope for guys to return from IL. But after Lorenzen gets hurt first game back, they may be forced to go get a reliever. Their pen is pitiful!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT