ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Foul on Quickley's 3 Point Attempt

Now that one did come from the Huggin’s school of rigged reffing.

And refs wonder why they don’t get respect.

There were only two possible calls on that play. Could’ve been a walk on Quickley even though I don’t think he did or a defensive foul. As others have said in this thread, I don’t think in all my years of watching basketball I’ve seen a player called for a foul while taking a jump shot. Plenty of other bad calls in this game as usual but that one was a John Higgins level of ineptness.

If you look close. Quickly raises his shooting arm and as he raises it to shoot he,makes contact with the hands of the defender.
Signed,Mr Magoo
So is he supposed to shoot the ball from waist level? Did you even see the play? The defense had their hand up then brought them down as he shot.

I still can’t believe it was called an offensive foul. I feel like SportsCenter should lead with it tomorrow and discuss how horrible of a call it was. Like, HOF awful.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Did anyone else notice when we drove across the lane late in the first, and the U6 player dropped like he had been shot? Meanwhile our player had changed direction and was heading the other way. But Mack doesn't teach flopping.:confused:

I seen that shit, I was like wow he planned that out and it went badly for him.

If this game had been closer, or a loss....Higgins twin would be getting death threats tonight.

That has to be one of the worst calls in the history of college basketball.

Which referee made that inept, ridiculous call?

That referee needs to be reevaluated.
It was absolutely garbage. I thought they called a great game up till that point then it went down hill

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I agree with this. It was absolutely infuriating watching Dwyane Wade do it time and time again in some of those classic Heat playoff series. But regardless, it isn't called that way and I have NEVER seen it called that way without a leg kick by the offensive player. Truly one of the more bizarrely bad calls I have seen in quite some time

Except that he didn't jump into Cunningham. He jumped forward towards the basket. Cunningham was to his side.
He jumped into the defender...but really there wasn't any contact. I would just let that one play on.

No contact? You mean other than IQ's arms being raked?

Everyone's least favorite roofer.
269294792.gif

Same game and same baseline so I'm guessing it was also the rooferee.
uconnflop.gif

Not sure there are 2 worse than these. Unless you consider this one that they supposedly said Booker went out and never reestablished himself inbounds before catching the ball.
oob.0.gif

There are some other really bad ones out there that aren't in Kentucky games that usually involve Duke or UNC.

Did anyone else notice when we drove across the lane late in the first, and the U6 player dropped like he had been shot? Meanwhile our player had changed direction and was heading the other way. But Mack doesn't teach flopping.:confused:
Yes! I noticed it live. The closest Cat was over a foot away from him and he clearly flopped. It was pathetic.

As for the foul on IQ, worst call I’ve ever seen. While I don’t think the offensive player should get a foul call on those lean ins, there’s still no way you can call it a foul on the shooter. Hell the UL guy even raked his arm across Quickley’s.

That was Ron Groover doing his best John Higgins impersonation. First time we've had him since the Duke game. He sucks.

I actually believe that the jump into the defender to draw 3 shots thing.. perfected by McMahon on LilBro...SHOULD be an offensive foul.
I believe by rule, it is an offensive foul. It is just never called on anybody not named Kentucky.

Is jumping into a defender during a jump shot, while it might warrant one philosophically speaking, even considered a potential offense? In my 40+ years of following Kentucky I’ve not seen that call. Honest question: has anyone ever seen a similar call? Please share link if “linkable”. I’ve not referreed a game in my life, so my inquiry is genuine.

Doubt it's ever been called that way in the history of the sport. That was an all timer

Everyone's least favorite roofer.
269294792.gif

Same game and same baseline so I'm guessing it was also the rooferee.
uconnflop.gif

Not sure there are 2 worse than these. Unless you consider this one that they supposedly said Booker went out and never reestablished himself inbounds before catching the ball.
oob.0.gif

There are some other really bad ones out there that aren't in Kentucky games that usually involve Duke or UNC.

The Napier apparently getting shot by someone was in the 2011 final four. The Poythress spin that resulted in him being charged for assault was in the 2014 national championship game.

Both calls were at pivotal times. Poythress’ basket should have been a no call/and one that would have tied it up or gave UK it’s first lead. Instead it’s waived off and Napier hits a 3.

That call yesterday was HORRIBLE, but I’d take one of those a game during the regular season over some of the horrible screw job calls we’ve gotten in tourney games that potentially cost us titles.

Reactions: awf and UKrazycat2
Some "fans": Just have to play through it, fouls don't change the game at all.

Probably a 4-pt swing because of that foul.

4 points matters. Bad officiating matters.

Reactions: GG24 and awf
I actually believe that the jump into the defender to draw 3 shots thing.. perfected by McMahon on LilBro...SHOULD be an offensive foul.
Totally Agree
But thing is: Q failed to make contact because the defender dodged him.

The only think I can come up with is the officials have been told to curb the shooter jumping into the defensive player to get a foul called. It happens too much.

However, this was a weak instance to call that because he didn't jump into the players body.

I agree - its really bad anymore - that is the one thing they do not give NBA players

I’ve watched games this year where shooters jumped sideways into Kentucky defenders and got three shots. Those refs must have missed the preseason meeting.

Reactions: gossie21
Single handedly the worst call in basketball history

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT