ADVERTISEMENT

NYT: Johnny Bench Misses His Hall of Fame Friends

mktmaker

Junior
Jun 5, 2001
Atlanta
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/03/...cARTMyzEDe3EpwdZxtcRlleS3dcbRIq127CaQWI0JOM7I

By Kurt Streeter
May 3, 2021

Johnny Bench remembers them well.

They were his peers, his idols, his friends.

And now they are gone, 10 greats from the Baseball Hall of Fame, lost in a terrible stretch of just over a year — more death for the game’s hallowed hall than at any similar span in its 85-year history.
Ten greats, who now exist only in memories: at bat, in the field and in the dugout.

During a year of widespread misery, and in a world still struggling against a virus that has killed millions, how do we make sure that these players are not forgotten? There is no one better than Johnny Bench to help us commemorate their lives.

The longtime Cincinnati Reds catcher, named one of baseball’s four greatest living players at the 2015 All-Star Game, Bench isn’t just a member of the Hall of Fame’s inner sanctum. He is a baseball oracle, a conduit between the game of today and the major leagues of the 1960s and 1970s. He either knew, played with or played against all of the 10 Hall of Famers who died within the recent stretch.

“I understand the warranty runs out on all of us, and that it’s what we all have to face,” Bench, 73, said on a phone call from his Florida home last week. “But to have this many great players, this many close friends die in such a short span. …”

He paused.

“It started with Al,” he said, his ordinarily unwavering voice bending with sadness.

Spring of 2020. That’s when Bench discovered that the Detroit Tigers great Al Kaline was struggling.

Kaline broke into the major leagues at age 18, in 1953. At 20, he was the American League batting champion. In 1968, he led his Tigers to a World Series title. Bench, like so many others in his generation, grew up in awe of Kaline’s prowess at the plate and skill in the field.

Early last year, “I called and called him, and I didn’t get an answer,” Bench said. “I called again, no answer. Then he called me back because we always talked a lot, and he said: ‘John, I was in the hospital for 10 days. I just want you to know, I love you, man.’”

Kaline died soon after, on April 6, 2020.
Months went by and the coronavirus pandemic intensified. Then, on Aug. 31, Tom Seaver died of complications from Lewy body dementia and Covid-19.

MUCH MORE AT LINK ABOVE

Reactions: vhcat70
Johnny was always kind of grumpy and standoffish in that he absolutely hated Pete Rose. That was the thing about the greatest 8 position players that ever played together, they wouldn't have translated well in today's media market. Rose was a complete cad. Bench was seething with resentments towards Rose and actually didn't even want to play catcher. Perez was a great guy but just like Concepcion was practically incomprehensible in an interview. Morgan was awesome. Griffey Sr. was awesome. George Foster was like George Foreman when Foreman was young and fearsome instead of the older more familiar friendly smiling face. Geronimo was like Perez and Concepcion.

Loved that team. Worshipped them as a kid. Never warmed up to Bench or Rose as human beings. Bench has a lot of William Shatner when he's mean drunk in him.

Johnny was always kind of grumpy and standoffish in that he absolutely hated Pete Rose. That was the thing about the greatest 8 position players that ever played together, they wouldn't have translated well in today's media market. Rose was a complete cad. Bench was seething with resentments towards Rose and actually didn't even want to play catcher. Perez was a great guy but just like Concepcion was practically incomprehensible in an interview. Morgan was awesome. Griffey Sr. was awesome. George Foster was like George Foreman when Foreman was young and fearsome instead of the older more familiar friendly smiling face. Geronimo was like Perez and Concepcion.

Loved that team. Worshipped them as a kid. Never warmed up to Bench or Rose as human beings. Bench has a lot of William Shatner when he's mean drunk in him.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/03/...cARTMyzEDe3EpwdZxtcRlleS3dcbRIq127CaQWI0JOM7I

By Kurt Streeter
May 3, 2021

Johnny Bench remembers them well.

They were his peers, his idols, his friends.

And now they are gone, 10 greats from the Baseball Hall of Fame, lost in a terrible stretch of just over a year — more death for the game’s hallowed hall than at any similar span in its 85-year history.
Ten greats, who now exist only in memories: at bat, in the field and in the dugout.

During a year of widespread misery, and in a world still struggling against a virus that has killed millions, how do we make sure that these players are not forgotten? There is no one better than Johnny Bench to help us commemorate their lives.

The longtime Cincinnati Reds catcher, named one of baseball’s four greatest living players at the 2015 All-Star Game, Bench isn’t just a member of the Hall of Fame’s inner sanctum. He is a baseball oracle, a conduit between the game of today and the major leagues of the 1960s and 1970s. He either knew, played with or played against all of the 10 Hall of Famers who died within the recent stretch.

“I understand the warranty runs out on all of us, and that it’s what we all have to face,” Bench, 73, said on a phone call from his Florida home last week. “But to have this many great players, this many close friends die in such a short span. …”

He paused.

“It started with Al,” he said, his ordinarily unwavering voice bending with sadness.

Spring of 2020. That’s when Bench discovered that the Detroit Tigers great Al Kaline was struggling.

Kaline broke into the major leagues at age 18, in 1953. At 20, he was the American League batting champion. In 1968, he led his Tigers to a World Series title. Bench, like so many others in his generation, grew up in awe of Kaline’s prowess at the plate and skill in the field.

Early last year, “I called and called him, and I didn’t get an answer,” Bench said. “I called again, no answer. Then he called me back because we always talked a lot, and he said: ‘John, I was in the hospital for 10 days. I just want you to know, I love you, man.’”

Kaline died soon after, on April 6, 2020.
Months went by and the coronavirus pandemic intensified. Then, on Aug. 31, Tom Seaver died of complications from Lewy body dementia and Covid-19.

MUCH MORE AT LINK ABOVE
really enjoyed that. Great read

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT