ADVERTISEMENT

Reed would have to be out of his mind

Mar 6, 2024
...to come back to this clowncar coach. Cow has forced the freshman of the year to come off the bench, most of the time with us behind, and he has delivered almost every time only to find his own coach trashing him in the postgame. I'd like to see him play another year but it just doesn't make sense.

Take the NBA money and run.

...to come back to this clowncar coach. Cow has forced the freshman of the year to come off the bench, most of the time with us behind, and he has delivered almost every time only to find his own coach trashing him in the postgame. I'd like to see him play another year but it just doesn't make sense.

Evidently, that is what the folks who want Calipari to return are working on.. Insiders are saying, Calipari cannot just run it back next year, with the freshmen he has signed, and some transfers.. That he needs a commitment from Reed, and 2-3 other key players from this years team. Calipari will be meeting with them next week to try and get an idea of their stay/go decisions.

Reed’s decision to stay/return will be partially driven by who the next coach is. Despite what he said when he was emotional in the locker room, the Sheppard family is way too smart to not understand Cal’s deficiencies.

I for one think that under the right circumstances, he returns. But I don’t claim to know what those circumstances are.

Evidently, that is what the folks who want Calipari to return are working on.. Insiders are saying, Calipari cannot just run it back next year, with the freshmen he has signed, and some transfers.. That he needs a commitment from Reed, and 2-3 other key players from this years team. Calipari will be meeting with them next week to try and get an idea of their stay/go decisions.
Problem is outside of Z(already tested the waters twice) I would imagine everyone else with draft hopes “tests” besides Rob and MAYBE Justin. That would mean those others like DJ and Reed we wouldn’t have answers on more than likely for months.

Now with Jones tweeting he expects an answer by Monday, you have to figure these player decisions won’t really matter.

Calipari has already suggested he isn't that interested in transfers. :rolleyes: I'm not sure we would have won 10 games this season without transfers Reeves and Mitchell.
Reeves was an absolute man all year.

We would have been fine without Mitchell, although he did contribute early when he was healthy and playing the 5.

I don’t believe it’s a fluke that we won at Auburn without him, and won at Tennessee with him playing only 7 minutes.

Top 10 draft picks don’t return to school. No matter how much people here claim Reed loves UK.

Especially if Cal leaves, there is no way Reed is passing up millions for the uncertainty of what’s next. He’d be a fool to do that.

Totally agree. Would love to see him play for a coach that could improve him instead of point fingers at him. Reed isn't nba ready and may not ever play in the NBA, but he could be a very good college player with a different coach.

Problem is outside of Z(already tested the waters twice) I would imagine everyone else with draft hopes “tests” besides Rob and MAYBE Justin. That would mean those others like DJ and Reed we wouldn’t have answers on more than likely for months.

Now with Jones tweeting he expects an answer by Monday, you have to figure these player decisions won’t really matter.
With Cal gone we can hope that the pressure to "chase dreams" prematurely with the NBA draft will no longer be an issue. I hope the next coach supports his players' decisions, but doesn't entice or encourage them go to simply because he has other prospects knocking on the door next year (read: he over-recruited and is trying to push players out to make room).

I don't get the feeling that Cal has been totally honest with a lot of his past players around their deficiencies and a need to probably return one more year and work on getting better. I believe he defaults to letting the kids and their handlers (more like mooches) make their own decisions, and then he will "support" whatever they decide (he's said he does this many times).

We need a coach that's honest with his players, not selfishly, but truthfully. A coach that develops players even if it means being critical of their dreams to play in the NBA. I think if we can get that done in the next 1-2 weeks, we might see a bunch of these kids - Reed included - return.

What I would LOVE to see is a new UK coach convinces a core of this team to return, throws in a few of his own, and then kicks ass next year, just to prove to Cal that he went off and did with his team's remnants what Cal couldn't do. Talk about a win-win for fans, the players and Kentucky.

Reed’s decision to stay/return will be partially driven by who the next coach is. Despite what he said when he was emotional in the locker room, the Sheppard family is way too smart to not understand Cal’s deficiencies.

I for one think that under the right circumstances, he returns. But I don’t claim to know what those circumstances are.
There is no doubt Jeff knows there are coaching deficiencies.

I think Reeds biggest hurdle here, is DJ. Is DJ coming back and if he does, is Cal going to continue to feature him? Then if I'm Reed, I'm out. But if DJ is gone and Reed can get some reassurance about his playing time, then maybe he stays.

It really comes down to how Reed feels about his time here and if he enjoyed Cal as his coach. If he does, he could choose to come back and try and fight for a F4. The problem is, we as fans know it's futile. But the players sometimes don't have the same feeling as we do.

The players aren't the issue at all. Nobody thinks they are. Any coach with a pulse could be more successful with the lineup we had here or what we would have next year. Talent has never been our problem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT