ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame to the SEC..... What?

I guess I'll ask it in a question. If the SEC announced tomorrow(knowing football drives this thing) that 2 to as many as 3 teams will be removed for conference realignment. Do you think Kentucky would be one? Considering nobody wants Duke or Kansas(basketball schools). They could make a basketball conference and put Uk,Duke,Kansas and a few other basketball schools. Anyway I'm getting off track. Do you think Kentucky is locked in the SEC? And if you do is it because they where a original school. One that started with it so to speak. The whole state has 3 million people. That can't be a market they really want. Is it. I'm not being an ass I'm asking because I think something like that could happen.
The state has close to 5 million people. Also, the football team has won 10 games twice in the past 5 years. Regularly going to bowl games. UK has invested into football heavily. You must be a basketball only fan. Missouri, Vandy, and South carolina would all be cut before UK.

The state has close to 5 million people. Also, the football team has won 10 games twice in the past 5 years. Regularly going to bowl games. UK has invested into football heavily. You must be a basketball only fan. Missouri, Vandy, and South carolina would all be cut before UK.
Not a basketball fan only. It's a question boss. Why would you assume I'm a basketball fan only? Do you not understand economics as it relates to the question? Because if you do. And haven't asked yourself a similar question then well You may want to switch to the PAC 12 and watch what happens when you dont smart guy. You have to stay ahead of these things or you will be on the outside looking in. Just sayin...... it was a hypothetical

Not a basketball fan only. It's a question boss. Why would you assume I'm a basketball fan only? Do you not understand economics as it relates to the question? Because if you do. And haven't asked yourself a similar question then well You may want to switch to the PAC 12 and watch what happens when you dont smart guy. You have to stay ahead of these things or you will be on the outside looking in. Just sayin...... it was a hypothetical
Your lack of general knowledge on the football team. No knowledgeable fan would actually put Kentucky down there with Vandy. You're still speaking like its 2012.

So you are going on the tv market angle? I guess Cincinnati and Louisville would be key.

Don’t forget Miss St. 581-590-36 overall record.

I guess I'll ask it in a question. If the SEC announced tomorrow(knowing football drives this thing) that 2 to as many as 3 teams will be removed for conference realignment. Do you think Kentucky would be one? Considering nobody wants Duke or Kansas(basketball schools). They could make a basketball conference and put Uk,Duke,Kansas and a few other basketball schools. Anyway I'm getting off track. Do you think Kentucky is locked in the SEC? And if you do is it because they where a original school. One that started with it so to speak. The whole state has 3 million people. That can't be a market they really want. Is it. I'm not being an ass I'm asking because I think something like that could happen.

The population of Kentucky is over 4.5 million, not 3 million as you have stated. Kentucky is the 26th largest state by population right behind Louisiana, Alabama, and South Carolina while being slightly larger than Oklahoma and significantly larger than either Mississippi or Arkansas. Alabama and Mississippi are supporting 2 SEC schools each, while South Carolina and Oklahoma both face a lot of compeition for fan support (television ratings) within their respective states.whereas only LSU and Arkansas face less competition for fan support within their respective states than does UK. Furthermore, UK finished 28th in the nation in average viewership per game last football season and, of course, is perennially #1 in basketball ratings. You are understating (likely intentionally) the value of the Kentucky market.

I think the "mystery team" Finebaum was alluding to might be FSU. Story came out today that the Seminoles are in talks with a investment capitol firm to inject tens of millions into the FSU program immediately. Possibly as much as $100 million. Speculation is that FSU may use the funds to buy their way out of the ACC GoR agreement. At the very least the ACC offices have to be concerned that FSU is potentially willing to go this route to get out of the conference. Of course, it might all be posturing to force the conference's hand on revenue distribution. If it is real then, we may be entering into entirely new and uncharted territory where massive amounts of $$$ can be invested into collegiate programs by investment groups.

On a side note, that GoR deal all ACC member institutions had to sign might be the dumbest business decision ever. It locks members into that conference till 2036 with no opportunity to renegotiate their TV rights contract till then as well. Looks like ND might have made a wise move by not joining the ACC.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
The population of Kentucky is over 4.5 million, not 3 million as you have stated. Kentucky is the 26th largest state by population right behind Louisiana, Alabama, and South Carolina while being slightly larger than Oklahoma and significantly larger than either Mississippi or Arkansas. Alabama and Mississippi are supporting 2 SEC schools each, while South Carolina and Oklahoma both face a lot of compeition for fan support (television ratings) within their respective states.whereas only LSU and Arkansas face less competition for fan support within their respective states than does UK. Furthermore, UK finished 28th in the nation in average viewership per game last football season and, of course, is perennially #1 in basketball ratings. You are understating (likely intentionally) the value of the Kentucky market.
Thank you. I was just asking an opinion.

The more nonSEC 'purist' teams we add the greater our risk of getting left out.
At some point, the programs that matter in realignment (football) will realize that losing Ol' Miss, Miss St, Vandy, S Carolina, us, etc... will create a greater share of $$ for them.
The SEC's days are numbered. We will regret ever adding Texas and Texas AM.

Nope

The more nonSEC 'purist' teams we add the greater our risk of getting left out.
At some point, the programs that matter in realignment (football) will realize that losing Ol' Miss, Miss St, Vandy, S Carolina, us, etc... will create a greater share of $$ for them.
The SEC's days are numbered. We will regret ever adding Texas and Texas AM.
I don’t think they’ll regret Texas and A&M. But holding too dear to Vandy and few others may be a mistake. That being said, we’d be close to the cutting block too if the SEC begins to jettison teams.
The SEC ain't kicking nobody out. That you can take to the bank.

Idiotic. ND looking at 60 million a year from tv in next contract which e=would begin when they would start in any conference.

As long as BCS continues to expand, they don’t need to be worried about being shut out.

ND is about ND and their brand. They ain’t going anywhere, especially the SEC.

Reactions: nptb
I’d be inclined to agree. But really, what does Vandy bring? UT is easily the more popular program across the state, even the candy students don’t care. I do see a scenario where it’s worth forcing out an underperforming member to make way for a top tier team. This may be in a decade or so, but anything’s possible.

I’d be inclined to agree. But really, what does Vandy bring? UT is easily the more popular program across the state, even the candy students don’t care. I do see a scenario where it’s worth forcing out an underperforming member to make way for a top tier team. This may be in a decade or so, but anything’s possible.
It would be very, very difficult to force out a charter member.

Like you said, anything is possible.

But not everything is plausible.

It’s highly unlikely that a charter member is ever forced out of the SEC.

It would be an unprecedented move.

You, nor I, have enough money in the bank to matter.
You are still under the false impression that conference loyalty matters to those making the decisions. We have diluted ourselves with outliers (starting with MU) that are here to be paid and could care less about a SEC history they aren't a part of.
I'm sure prestigious Stanford and Cal felt pretty secure too... until they didn't.
Perhaps more likely is that Bama, Georgia, LSU, Tenn., Texas, UF, OU, A&M, etc realize that they can command much, much more money on their own... especially with an expanded playoff. Then, what does it really mean to be in the SEC? At that point, a conference on par with the AAC or WCC.

Academics/research and Baseball.

You, nor I, have enough money in the bank to matter.
You are still under the false impression that conference loyalty matters to those making the decisions. We have diluted ourselves with outliers (starting with MU) that are here to be paid and could care less about a SEC history they aren't a part of.
I'm sure prestigious Stanford and Cal felt pretty secure too... until they didn't.
Perhaps more likely is that Bama, Georgia, LSU, Tenn., Texas, UF, OU, A&M, etc realize that they can command much, much more money on their own... especially with an expanded playoff. Then, what does it really mean to be in the SEC? At that point, a conference on par with the AAC or WCC.
Whatever bro

Seeing as UK isn’t horrible at football anymore and is a basketball power, I’d say no.
we might not be saying that with the addition of Texas, Oklahoma, and Florida St or Clemson added in the mix.

While I think UK is safe in the SEC, I don't see our chances of improving our stature in SEC football improving, even with the gains Stoops is making.

that same risk applies to everyone though. Bama and Georgia could very well see their dominance decline in a SEC now adding multiple national contenders

THE new battlegrounds are North Carolina and Virginia. Both the SEC and Big Ten will have them on their most wanted list if Notre Dame is off the board. Think UNC prefers the SEC for athletic excellence. Think Virginia prefers BIG Ten for academic excellence with decent athletics. Will be fascinating to play out. People assume Clemson and Florida State are the top targets but there has been reporting UNC & Virginia are actually the targets.
NC State and Virginia Tech to SEC out of those two states if any come to the SEC. They are land grant schools and they “are the peoples’” universities in their respective states. The other two schools in those states to the B1G.

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
we might not be saying that with the addition of Texas, Oklahoma, and Florida St or Clemson added in the mix.

While I think UK is safe in the SEC, I don't see our chances of improving our stature in SEC football improving, even with the gains Stoops is making.

that same risk applies to everyone though. Bama and Georgia could very well see their dominance decline in a SEC now adding multiple national contenders
You think UK is safe in the SEC? Bro, we’re founding members. We are safe as it gets, literally.

NC State and Virginia Tech to SEC out of those two states if any come to the SEC. They are land grant schools and they “are the peoples’” universities in their respective states. The other two schools in those states to the B1G.
VT checks all of the boxes, brings the most consistency and offers the least amount of risk. The fans are SEC culture but I'm not so sure about the VT brass. If VT landed in the SEC the football team would have to drag the AD kicking and screaming.

I can easily see VT….they have the second largest cadet military program in the country behind Texas A&M and are underrated as a massive fan base and gets the SEC network carriage fee’s for the southern state of Virginia. There are credible arguments that outside of academic prestige Tech has almost every other advantage over UVA. Bigger football brand, larger local Alumni base in Virginia, better cultural fit etc. However in this current era of realignment “Brand” matters the most and generates the largest TV ratings and I don’t think NC State moves the needle enough. UNC are terrible cheaters but they are a Top 25 brand in college athletics and NC State just aren’t. So I think the SEC would turn NC State down in favor of Clemson or Florida State if UNC chooses the BIG Ten. I think the SEC would take either UVA or VA TECH just my humble opinion.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
I can easily see VT….they have the second largest cadet military program in the country behind Texas A&M and are underrated as a massive fan base and gets the SEC network carriage fee’s for the southern state of Virginia. There are credible arguments that outside of academic prestige Tech has almost every other advantage over UVA. Bigger football brand, larger local Alumni base in Virginia, better cultural fit etc. However in this current era of realignment “Brand” matters the most and generates the largest TV ratings and I don’t think NC State moves the needle enough. UNC are terrible cheaters but they are a Top 25 brand in college athletics and NC State just aren’t. So I think the SEC would turn NC State down in favor of Clemson or Florida State if UNC chooses the BIG Ten. I think the SEC would take either UVA or VA TECH just my humble opinion.
Clemson and F$U do not add to the SEC footprint like UNC or NCSU would. The purpose of getting one of them and one of UVA or VT is to add those markets.

Rumor has it that UNC wants to go to the SEC and UVA wants to go to the Big 10, so it might end up being UNC and VT joining the SEC, if the SEC decides to expand into the Carolina and VA/DC markets.

UNC, NCST and Duke are interwoven in the Research Triangle. It's going to take alot of political and business negotiations to separate these three.
I haven't seen any mention of AAU here either. If you follow B10 they are almost all AAU members. When they expand I think they prioritize that membership. VT and NCST are not AAU members. UVA,UNC and Duke are.

Kentucky will be fine. Our recruiting has been solid, Kentucky had no choice but to get better and spend like a real “football school”. The revenue stream is unreal especially if you’re good.

Every SEC school will go through droughts of unsustainabilty (like Bama in the 1990s and early 2000s… or UT for the longest time up until Chumlee. UK will continue to make gains and sustain them. I don’t see why not.

Kentucky will be fine. Our recruiting has been solid, Kentucky had no choice but to get better and spend like a real “football school”. The revenue stream is unreal especially if you’re good.

Every SEC school will go through droughts of unsustainabilty (like Bama in the 1990s and early 2000s… or UT for the longest time up until Chumlee. UK will continue to make gains and sustain them. I don’t see why not.
you're comparing our recent upswing thinking that will continue while ignoring decades of futility. While I love the direction the program is going in, its not a stretch to say UK football is a program of droughts with the occasional breakout year. All it took was one OC to leave and the program fell apart last year.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
you're comparing our recent upswing thinking that will continue while ignoring decades of futility. While I love the direction the program is going in, its not a stretch to say UK football is a program of droughts with the occasional breakout year. All it took was one OC to leave and the program fell apart last year.
Why do you think we were terrible all those years?
Besides, past performance doesn’t dictate the future in this case. KState and Bill Snyder proved that.

As for last year we went 7-6, which while not great is a hell of a lot better than 4-5 win seasons by schools which include Tennessee. Coen came back because he bought into CMS’ vision. Will we beat Bama and UGA? Likely not, but you can say the same for most teams.

I’m excited for this season. Come over and post on the Lair with us before basketball starts.

Last edited:
Reactions: TyCatPrice14
If the SEC gets UVA and UNC, I think all the old Confederate states would be accounted for, wouldn't they?

Texas
Missouri
Arkansas
Tennessee
Georgia
Florida
Alabama
Mississippi
South Carolina
Virginia
North Carolina

Yep, that's the 11 CSA states.
Kentucky had a confederate government with full representation in confederate congress. We are the middle (13th) star on the confederate flag. With 40-50k soldiers fighting for the CSA and 76k for the union. Same for Missouri just higher union enlistments. So you could include us. We were both a union and confederate state. If we are being technical. Oklahoma was Indian colony and the tribes there fought for the CSA. So we got all the bases covered lol.

Texas
Missouri
Louisiana
Kentucky
Arkansas
Tennessee
Georgia
Florida
Alabama
Mississippi
South Carolina
Virginia
North Carolina
13 stars.

Kentucky had a confederate government with full representation in confederate congress. We are the middle (13th) star on the confederate flag. With 40-50k soldiers fighting for the CSA and 76k for the union. Same for Missouri just higher union enlistments. So you could include us. We were both a union and confederate state. If we are being technical. Oklahoma was Indian colony and the tribes there fought for the CSA. So we got all the bases covered lol.

Texas
Missouri
Louisiana
Kentucky
Arkansas
Tennessee
Georgia
Florida
Alabama
Mississippi
South Carolina
Virginia