ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame to the SEC..... What?

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
Paul Finebaum on his Friday show talked about a wildcard team, he didn't say who it was that would probably join the SEC before it would the Big10. I got the impression that as crazy as it sounds that he was talking about Notre Dame. The caller that he was talking with at the time got the same impression that I did, that he was talking about Notre Dame. I don't believe that he was talking about Clemson or Florida State because he talks about those 2 schools to the SEC all the time.

I can't imagine this happening. But anymore nothing surprises me.

Last edited:
THE new battlegrounds are North Carolina and Virginia. Both the SEC and Big Ten will have them on their most wanted list if Notre Dame is off the board. Think UNC prefers the SEC for athletic excellence. Think Virginia prefers BIG Ten for academic excellence with decent athletics. Will be fascinating to play out. People assume Clemson and Florida State are the top targets but there has been reporting UNC & Virginia are actually the targets.

THE new battlegrounds are North Carolina and Virginia. Both the SEC and Big Ten will have them on their most wanted list if Notre Dame is off the board. Think UNC prefers the SEC for athletic excellence. Think Virginia prefers BIG Ten for academic excellence with decent athletics. Will be fascinating to play out. People assume Clemson and Florida State are the top targets but there has been reporting UNC & Virginia are actually the targets.
Makes sense to me. Completely new eye balls for the SEC.

I can see that.

UNC and VT to the SEC?

UVA and NCSU or Duke to the B10?

At some point adding more teams to Sec is going to cause a lesser share per team in revenue and not as attractive

Notre Dame is the one team that isn’t going to be the case…and if the sec snd big10 csn shut out teams from other conferences on schedule. I think Notre dame will have their hands forced eventually

Paul Finebaum on his Friday show talked about a wildcard team, he didn't say who it was that would probably join the SEC before it would the Big10. I got the impression that as crazy as it sounds that he was talking about Notre Dame. The caller that he was talking with at the time got the same impression that I did, that he was talking about Notre Dame. I don't believe that he was talking about Clemson or Florida State because he talks about those 2 schools to the SEC all the time.

I can't imagine this happening. But anymore nothing surprises me.
If ND joins the SEC, they can say hello to going 7-4 every yr in football, IMO

Makes total sense - only real chance to grab Indiana and Chicago tv markets, and they’re a recognizable name country wide. That’s what this is all about. Geography is mostly irrelevant.

Makes total sense - only real chance to grab Indiana and Chicago tv markets, and they’re a recognizable name country wide. That’s what this is all about. Geography is mostly irrelevant.
So true.

The SEC has at least stayed mostly “southern” so far.

But geography is pretty irrelevant anymore like you said.

Reactions: chroix
I think ND, if they do join a conference, will go to the Big Ten.

I think the B10 can match the SEC and ND will weigh their options.

The B10 wins out because of rivalries they have already with USC and Michigan.

If it was just about TV, ND and UNC might make the most sense. New markets, New recruiting areas, etc.

FSU doesn't bring a new TV market really. They share a TV market with Fla, Ga, Ala already. So we would be cutting them in for a share, but would they really be pulling in extra revenue to pay for it? I don't think so personally. Miami would represent more, and I am a Hurricane fan too. But South Fla is a pro fan area, much like NY. Miami tickets have always been easy to come by, does that sound like an SEC powerhouse?

I think better to grab a new state, UNC sits in the middle of the Triangle, which is a high population area AND a college sports area. As much as I despise ND, they pay for themselves.

Plus, it would be just like UNC to whine about FSU trying to leave the ACC, and then they swoop in and take FSU's spot.

As for Clemson, very loyal fan base and if 20 was the number for the SEC I think they would be a good pick. But behind UNC and ND, not before. And I would pair them with either VT or WV.

At some point adding more teams to Sec is going to cause a lesser share per team in revenue and not as attractive

Notre Dame is the one team that isn’t going to be the case…and if the sec snd big10 csn shut out teams from other conferences on schedule. I think Notre dame will have their hands forced eventually
The more nonSEC 'purist' teams we add the greater our risk of getting left out.
At some point, the programs that matter in realignment (football) will realize that losing Ol' Miss, Miss St, Vandy, S Carolina, us, etc... will create a greater share of $$ for them.
The SEC's days are numbered. We will regret ever adding Texas and Texas AM.

At some point, the programs that matter in realignment (football) will realize that losing Ol' Miss, Miss St, Vandy, S Carolina, us, etc... will create a greater share of $$ for them.

I don’t think they’ll regret Texas and A&M. But holding too dear to Vandy and few others may be a mistake. That being said, we’d be close to the cutting block too if the SEC begins to jettison teams.

Reactions: rabbitTown
One issue....Kentucky, vanderbilt, ole miss, are all charter members.

Yeah. And a week ago there was a PAC-12 lol. I don’t anyone can assume they are safe for any real reason. Just put out your best product and be appealing to TV money. I could see the SEC jettisoning Vandy if it meant big time money.
I don’t think a charter member can be removed from the conference.

Can't think of a better way to COMPLETELY DESTROY the collegiate sports world. Go for it. Wonder what Calipari thinks about it?

🤷‍♂️ and the ACC GoR is unbreakable. Until it isn’t. They’d find a way if they really wanted it. Now, I don’t think they will… but when billions are at stake, things happen.

For example, maybe they can’t be voted out, but three charter members have left before. Maybe Vandy is “highly encouraged” to leave on its own with a billion dollar buyout and a certain percentage of the SEC football revenue in perpetuity. Not a bad deal for a school that doesn’t care much about football.

I don't think you understand what charter member means lmao.

What’s to stop the football schools from paying the UK board members to willingly leave the conference? It’s not up to fans or season ticket holders after all.

Or what if the big football schools just formed their new, non regional conference and invited the 15-20 biggest football schools?

Reactions: StubbornPenny
Charter member may not hold much weight in other conferences but the SEC isn't going anywhere. Therefor I think it's safe to say the OG's are safe.

UK would be last charter member on the cutting block even if it were to happen.

What’s to stop the football schools from paying the UK board members to willingly leave the conference? It’s not up to fans or season ticket holders after all.

Or what if the big football schools just formed their new, non regional conference and invited the 15-20 biggest football schools?
The SEC isn't going anywhere.

Can't think of a better way to COMPLETELY DESTROY the collegiate sports world. Go for it. Wonder what Calipari thinks about it?
and you found a way to troll and inject Cal into it
did he touch you in your little special place?

most will be happy when the mods do something about your constant trolling

Reactions: davtay
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT