ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina government says UNC and NC st are package deal to leave acc

As I understand it, there is a public university board in North Carolina that oversees both UNC and NC State. They basically share board members. They've pretty much always been tied together as a package deal in that the board won't approve one leaving the other behind.

This is somewhat similar to how Texas Tech got into the Big 12. The Texas governor was a Texas Tech grad at the time that the Longhorns were leaving the old Southwest Conference to join the Big 12. The Texas governor demanded that the Longhorns take Texas Tech with them. Funny how Arkansas turned out to be the school that made the smartest moves when the old Southwest Conference started falling apart.

This is also what stopped the PAC-16 deal back in the late 2000s. Texas legislators were mad Baylor wasn't included and it scuttled things.

FSU vs Texas/Alabama/LSU/Oklahoma etc… or UNC or Virgina vs those same teams - who gets more viewers? The answer is FSU in a landslide, brands are more important than market and while some people act like SEC already has FL, it is a rather large/fast growing state. Nothing wrong with having 2 teams there.

You are dead on with this. NC playing any of the big name SEC teams generates zero buzz other than NC fans. As you say Florida is a big state and growing, even adding FSU it doesn't do much for South Florida. I think best case is ND, Miami, FSU and Clemson. Give the big NC and Virginia.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Some packages are stronger than others. It is a documented fact the government of Virginia forced the University of Virginia to get VA Tech invited to the ACC. When.the old Southwest conference broke up and teams were merging with the Big 8 Texas politics forced Baylor in when they're level of play didn't justify it at all.

But Oklahoma/ OK St broke up, Oregon/Oregon St, Wash/Wash St have now as well.

This is about to get real, I can't link on my phone but Big and SEC are demanding 58% of the playoff monies, giving ACC and Big12 32% and the 64 group and ND split the other 10%. Number wise it's the big splitting 760m, the next 2 440m and finally 110m for the last group. 23m for big 2 teams, 13m for next 2 and less than 2m for group teams. This is just money from playoff, so even more motivation to leave the ACC. They are going to be looking at quite a bit less. This hasn't passed yet, but looking like it will.

FSU vs Texas/Alabama/LSU/Oklahoma etc… or UNC or Virgina vs those same teams - who gets more viewers? The answer is FSU in a landslide, brands are more important than market and while some people act like SEC already has FL, it is a rather large/fast growing state. Nothing wrong with having 2 teams there.
You get it. It is not nesacerily about markets. It is all about eyeballs.

FSU and Clemson give you nothing, not to mention FL and USC would block them.

Ideal is UNC, UVA, ND, and I guess NC State if they’re a package deal.
There is no way for them to block any longer. When the conference expanded they lost that ability, as they don't have enough votes to do it. It was never codified as a rule, rather it was a gentleman's agreement between UK, UGA, UF and USCjr, but that's no longer enough votes.

Last edited:
You are dead on with this. NC playing any of the big name SEC teams generates zero buzz other than NC fans. As you say Florida is a big state and growing, even adding FSU it doesn't do much for South Florida. I think best case is ND, Miami, FSU and Clemson. Give the big NC and Virginia.
My family's from Miami and I have family member alumni. Miami is not a culture fit. It's a very expensive private school with small enrollment. The vast majority of their students are from out of state (primarily NE corridor) and a significant percentage from other countries. Also, they have no football field and their athletic funding is closer to Vandy than Bama etc. Not to mention they are barely in the top 60 for avg viewers. I will be surprised if they get in the SEC and shocked if it is not in conjunction with FSU, as designed to keep the B!G out of FL.

55. Cincinnati — 653K
56. Pittsburgh — 650K
57. Oregon State — 625K
58. Rutgers — 618K
59. Miami FL— 608K
60. Wake Forest — 523K
61. UCF — 510K
62. Arizona — 506K

Reactions: hmt5000
Baylor's a private religious school, so Tx State legislator had no standing in that.

They may not have had standing but Texas' state government has a LOT of Baylor alums and they were going to cause problems with the attempted PAC-16 idea, when eventually played a role in scuttling it.

They may not have had standing but Texas' state government has a LOT of Baylor alums and they were going to cause problems with the attempted PAC-16 idea, when eventually played a role in scuttling it.
I believe you are conflating stories. Gov Ann Richards(over two decades ago), who was a Baylor alum, convinced the Big12 to bring Baylor along when the SWC dissolved, but the legislature had no bearing in the decision either. It was really a favor to her. If you read up on what happened when UT started flirting more recently is a few legislators voiced their disapproval and even spoke to the governor, but nothing become of it because they have no standing.

Baylor's a private religious school, so Tx State legislator had no standing in that.
Wow you need to read up on your recent history. The then Gov of Texas in the mid 90's forced Baylor to be included in the merger of Texas schools into the old Big 8 to form the original Big 12. State governments get involved all the time with private schools, they aren't treated in a hands off manner at all.

Reactions: KYExtemper
I believe you are conflating stories. Gov Ann Richards(over two decades ago), who was a Baylor alum, convinced the Big12 to bring Baylor along when the SWC dissolved, but the legislature had no bearing in the decision either. It was really a favor to her. If you read up on what happened when UT started flirting more recently is a few legislators voiced their disapproval and even spoke to the governor, but nothing become of it because they have no standing.
No, I'm not conflating. Issues in the Texas government because of Baylor's exclusive were a big reason the PAC-16 merger never happened in the mid-2000s since Baylor was the only Texas university not included in that merger.

My family's from Miami and I have family member alumni. Miami is not a culture fit. It's a very expensive private school with small enrollment. The vast majority of their students are from out of state (primarily NE corridor) and a significant percentage from other countries. Also, they have no football field and their athletic funding is closer to Vandy than Bama etc. Not to mention they are barely in the top 60 for avg viewers. I will be surprised if they get in the SEC and shocked if it is not in conjunction with FSU, as designed to keep the B!G out of FL.

55. Cincinnati — 653K
56. Pittsburgh — 650K
57. Oregon State — 625K
58. Rutgers — 618K
59. Miami FL— 608K
60. Wake Forest — 523K
61. UCF — 510K
62. Arizona — 506K

I know what Miami is, but it is the richest recruits grounds in the country. No one in the SEC offices want the Big with a home team deep in SEC territory. Big has to recruit deep south or they all become Minnesota. The only 2 teams that recruit the deep south are OSU and Mich, with PSU dipping a little. Very few kids on SEC rosters from the northern US.

Wow you need to read up on your recent history. The then Gov of Texas in the mid 90's forced Baylor to be included in the merger of Texas schools into the old Big 8 to form the original Big 12. State governments get involved all the time with private schools, they aren't treated in a hands off manner at all.
I am always open to being refuted with facts. Please show me a link supporting that thesis. I can't find one. But here is what I did find:
"
Pac-12 fails to expand into Texas

• PAC could have expanded by adding Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas and Texas Tech, but Scott chose not to as Texas demanded a greater share of the media rights revenue than the other schools.

I know what Miami is, but it is the richest recruits grounds in the country. No one in the SEC offices want the Big with a home team deep in SEC territory. Big has to recruit deep south or they all become Minnesota. The only 2 teams that recruit the deep south are OSU and Mich, with PSU dipping a little. Very few kids on SEC rosters from the northern US.
Don't disagree with anything you wrote here, but my point doesn't change. Very unlikely Miami comes in without FSU.

Don't disagree with anything you wrote here, but my point doesn't change. Very unlikely Miami comes in without FSU.

I think both will end up in SEC alone with CU and probably one of the North Carolina schools, State most likely. I would rather have Ga. Tech than any of the ACC north crowd.

I didn't want Texas, they are conference killers and will try to run things soon. They bullied the Big12 until it was on the verge of imploding like the Pac did, wanted their own TV network, double share of payout. Hopefully we have enough strong members to keep them in check.

55. Cincinnati — 653K
56. Pittsburgh — 650K
57. Oregon State — 625K
58. Rutgers — 618K
59. Miami FL— 608K
60. Wake Forest — 523K
61. UCF — 510K
62. Arizona — 506K
Big would want Miami for only 2 reasons... Open up recruiting to south Fl for the Big to pretend they still care about athletics after this all goes down. LOL.

Reactions: satcheluk
I didn't want Texas, they are conference killers and will try to run things soon. They bullied the Big12 until it was on the verge of imploding like the Pac did, wanted their own TV network, double share of payout. Hopefully we have enough strong members to keep them in check.
OK/Ain't bullying SEC. We ain't B12 peons./We do. TX will submit.

Older news but our GTech visitors reminded me to bring this up. All the people claiming the GOR won't let people leave... FSU and the Carolina schools seem to be still preparing to leave. Writing is on the wall. ACC schools can't wait for the acc to become the Big East and watch the leftover schools become irrelevant overnight.

Some acc homers are claiming this move was to keep them from leaving because UNC would be more favorable than St. I don't think those people understand ratings.... LOL. If the SEC or BIg take those 2 it will be because they offer more eyeballs than the cost of admitting them. 10.5 million people in NC. Have to think 1/2 would be UNC or NC st die hard fans. So adding 5 million potential eyeballs to each conference game could be enough to pull the trigger. If they don't come to the SEC or Big it's because those conferences don't think they bring value... It's not because GOR prevents them.

What about Duke and Wake Forrest?

I think UNC is attractive, NC State not so much. UNC, FSU, Clemson, and ND would be a great get. ND should be a B1G school, but who wants to play their games? If the SEC and B1G would cut non-conference games, ND would come whimpering to one of them and end this game.
From what I've read on the B1G boards, this is exactly what's going to happen and has ND scared. I think they'll be in the B1G sooner than later

Reactions: hmt5000
^ Of course B1G boards would say that.

Have to cut OOC games with 9 games conference schedule.

I think ND is worth more to SEC than B1G due to new/different eyes with SEC. B1G adding ND is just more of the same locations imo.

I think both will end up in SEC alone with CU and probably one of the North Carolina schools, State most likely. I would rather have Ga. Tech than any of the ACC north crowd.

Indeed. Texas also blew up the B!G12/PAC16 merger attempt. They demanded a disproportionate share, so it fell apart. I hope they are humbled by the SEC.

Big would want Miami for only 2 reasons... Open up recruiting to south Fl for the Big to pretend they still care about athletics after this all goes down. LOL.
Agree with your first point, but Miami is a very good academic institution and would be right in the middle of B1G for academic ranking.

Edit:I must admit, I thought that said academics rather than athletics. Not sure if that was edited or I need new readers.

Last edited:
Reactions: KYExtemper
^ Miami not member of the American Association of Universities (AAU). B1G puts a lot of stock in that & has only ever admitted members.

^ Of course B1G boards would say that.

Have to cut OOC games with 9 games conference schedule.

I think ND is worth more to SEC than B1G due to new/different eyes with SEC. B1G adding ND is just more of the same locations imo.

Good point about ND, Purdue and UI are already in Big so without kicking one of those they may not want ND.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT