ADVERTISEMENT

No clue if this is true

Maybe Cal and Reed have a joint presser announcing one last ride…along with a couple surprise returnees , with cal retiring after 2025. That’s the ‘shock ‘ the account refers to….an ‘unfinished business ‘ tour
This is either sarcasm or Stockholm Syndrome, I’m not sure which one though 🙄
Reed the season ender?
Reed probably wanted to help end the season so he and his teammates didn’t have to watch Calipari continue to completely mismanage the team!

Thank you Reed F’n Sheppard!!!

Who knows what is true and not true.
But who in their right mind would want to hire someone who just lost their 5th NCAA game out of the last 6; got hammered in the 1st round as one of the top seeds two out of the last three years; hasn't won his league or tournament in many years and be willing to throw millions at them?

Several years ago, during the off season we had to put up with all kinds of rumors of teams from the NBA and college coming after Coach Cal. Where are these teams when you need them?

Reactions: bnewt and JrandoUK
This is either sarcasm or Stockholm Syndrome, I’m not sure which one though 🙄

Reed probably wanted to help end the season so he and his teammates didn’t have to watch Calipari continue to completely mismanage the team!

Thank you Reed F’n Sheppard!!!
Now he’s telling people he loves Cal so much he’s only back with Cal . Grow up

MdWildcat
ukcatz12
Jkwo
Leadbelly
ColdStoudbeer
JLoad
UKbb4ever
Kybassfan
Spamburgerhamburger
Sejonesy
gracetoyou
JamesLee32
Wildcatfaninohio
Chattanoogawildcat
sk73
k14015
Jayce
Kybluedude
Lempface recently defected
bluefaithful
JFCats
BBBLazing
Shodaman
MdIUK.1
cats#1again
JonathanW
Oboro3
gojvc
Deli Owl
BlueTick 2
Woodsmoke
NuthinbutNylon
jc4446
caneintally
HenryMuto
Dreadlox
ukcatz12

edit: JPFisher
OK SoS...here's a challenge for you...of the names you listed, how many are the SAME PERSON? GO...or as Triple C would say...GOOOOoooooooo!

I see UCLA switched to Nike in 2021........ WTH mandela effect is this? lol ..just shows how Cal has completely taken my soul and love for the game that I have been too ashamed of UK losing that I havent kept up on anything basketball like I used to before 2020

• Love
Reactions: kywildcat41086
When Tubby left here. He continued to take steps down, and down, and down, failing at each of the smaller schools he coached until he could basically go no lower in D1. I didn't wish it on him, because he was/is a good man.

But I gotta be honest. I sort of do wish it on Cal. I'm sure a bunch of my "Benny" friends feel the same way.
Tubby was never really that good to begin with.

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
Calipari will land somewhere for $6-$7 million per year, if he wants to. And if he does want to continue coaching it will be because he wants to 'stick it' to UK and the fanbase for getting rid of him. He def doesn't need the money. And he is so petty and stubborn I could certainly see him doing that.

Reactions: bnewt
What a sad sack you must be. You created a sock account almost 20 years ago and finally dusted it off recently to take shots at a player while you make excuses for Cal the Program Killer and belittle any fans who dare to gore your ox.
Breaking !!! Reed throws it away again

I don’t fully either but the Andy staples video proves Kentucky can move on from cal and not be put in a bad situation
It has to be the right hire and someone who wants to be here. Similar to when Cal first came here. Similar to when Roy Williams went to UNC or Bill Self to Kansas. (Even though we hated those guys). I think someone like Scott Drew could be that guy.
But we are at a precipice. We can’t continue this free fall much longer else we get knocked down to the levels of Louisville and IU. We have tradition and legacy on the line. We need the basketball equivalent of a Nick Saban, Kirby Smart type hire.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Kansas was never out of that game, IMO. They were a phenomenal team and got to New Orleans for a reason. Robinson was an absolute force.

That said, you're not one of the whiners I'm referring to. You're a civil poster and I appreciate your input. 👍
Kansas was down 21 and fading. The only way they got back in it because idiot Cal took his foot off the gas.

Reactions: JrandoUK
That was my assumption. They really did try to get him before.

Would be a good match really. Would piss me off, but there's a real chance he could have a good run there. Might be the jolt he needs to overcome his stubbornness.
UCLA or Michigan would be a good fit honestly. Unfortunately I don’t see it happening anymore

Reactions: WildcatNC
I could see Cal being convinced that UCLA is a lateral move - better location (well to him), matching money, and an opportunity to revive the program with the most national championship - also, his NBA pipeline gig would continue and he'd get to hang out with the Lakers

MdWildcat
ukcatz12
Jkwo
Leadbelly
ColdStoudbeer
JLoad
UKbb4ever
Kybassfan
Spamburgerhamburger
Sejonesy
gracetoyou
JamesLee32
Wildcatfaninohio
Chattanoogawildcat
sk73
k14015
Jayce
Kybluedude
Lempface recently defected
bluefaithful
JFCats
BBBLazing
Shodaman
MdIUK.1
cats#1again
JonathanW
Oboro3
gojvc
Deli Owl
BlueTick 2
Woodsmoke
NuthinbutNylon
jc4446
caneintally
HenryMuto
Dreadlox
ukcatz12

edit: JPFisher
Sweet, I'm on the list twice.

Cal to Louisville, their fans would say no way unless they got him, then they'd dance in the streets like they did with Pitino.

Couple of quick points.

-Michigan has very high academic standards and doesn’t accept many transfer credits from other schools. So Cal would have serious issues getting some of the 5 star freshmen into Michigan and likely over half the transfer portal likely can’t transfer into Michigan.

-UCLA has negative money right now due to the pandemic AND the state is making them share the Big Ten money next year with Cal. Also Coach Cal loves attention and adulation more then just about any other coach and UCLA has no fanbase and there a zillion more important things in Los Angeles then UCLA basketball.

-I understand the fanbase fascination with Bruce Pearl. But with our history we aren’t hiring someone with known previous NCAA violations. The NCAA may not govern UK in another 5-8 years but for now we aren’t hiring anybody with any shady history.

Says who? I don’t mean that combatively. But, specifically, are you basing that opinion on?

After all, we hired Calipari who had 2 final fours vacated and was very much considered shady and a cheater.

We may not hire Pearl for other reasons but his “shady past” won’t be a reason imo. Having a backyard bqq got him in major trouble which is crazy considering NIL and what not these days.

Reminds me of when UK players got scolded and the restaurant got in trouble for giving players free pizza and now Caleb Williams drove a maybach in college and literally made over $4 million dollars. Some past “infractions” seem ridiculous now all things considered.

Just my opinion of course.

This has been my take for a couple years.

Him leaving would be good for both parties. He’ll take his #1 class and his new fanbase will be thrilled. They will likely have a lot of success for 3-7 years just running on media hype and being “cool” from a rebranding. He may even make a final 4.

You’ll have some media ppl and some uk fans say “see that should be us, we shouldn’t had ran him off”. But that same success won’t happen here if he stays. This relationship is toxic and he’s too stubborn to change here4 he doesn’t have a relationship w any of the big money UK boosters any longer and he doesn’t think the fans should have expectations….so he should go to a school without title expectations that are just happy to play in S16s and be ranked.

Based off the last 5 years here what makes you believe he would “ likely have a lot of success” at Michigan including a FF? Because of media hype and being cool? That is what UK has been. And we’ve seen atrocious results.

Just curious why he would take his high school guys to great success and final fours at Michigan but not nor hasn’t here?

Yeah supposedly Cal was contacted today from a school that would pay him around the same. They didn’t say who, but mentioned it was a NIKE school lol 😂

Yeah but that “rumor” is from random and borderline cringe “ladies of bbn” account on twitter. Whoever it is… is basically just making up random things.

If I were asked to read into this, I would say Cal may be hinting about calling it quits, retiring.

This would not at all surprise me. In fact, if it happens, I bet it happens this week.
No way
If it were to happen, he would delay it as long as possible to hurt the new coach, uk and especially the fans

Cal's a good coach. He's just gotten on the BBN's bad side over the past few years and it shows. I agree.

The Ladies of BBN Twitter has been pretty in-the-know this past year. Interesting to see what happens.
Disagree, cal is not a good coach, he's a great recruiter. An average coach with the talent he has had, would have more than 1 title. Anthony Davis was a once in a lifetime recruit, otherwise he wouldn't have a damn title.

Reactions: bfawns
But they also have to pay the salary of a new coach during that time. Which, they aren't getting a good one for less than around 8 million per year. So, that now means you're paying around 14 million at least in HC salaries annually. That's not counting assistant salaries, taxes and other incentives.

Now, what happens if you do all that and the next guy is no better or worse, then in 3 years you have to fire him as well, and you're again stuck with Cal's remaining buyout amount, the next coaches buyout and potentially paying a 3rd HC.

Some of you don't seem to have a concept of costs.
Yeah. A whole lot of people wind up drowning in credit card debt. "You don't have to pay the whole thing all at once ... " And of course their monthly expenses don't change except now they have a large payment to their credit card company/companies. I note plural companies, because it's not like fans around here are temperate in their judgments. There could be (probably will be) other coaches who don't measure up to be disposed of and paid off.

He gets what $9M/yr from UK?
Say school X offers him $3M to coach their team, might UK agree to pay the difference, or part of it (say 50%, $3M/yr)?

Michigan, UCLA, and SMU are all being rumored
Wholleeeee lotta money in that SMU program. Cals mentor Larry Brown also did a little stint there as his sunset tour. SMU just joined the ACC
Based off the last 5 years here what makes you believe he would “ likely have a lot of success” at Michigan including a FF? Because of media hype and being cool? That is what UK has been. And we’ve seen atrocious results.

Just curious why he would take his high school guys to great success and final fours at Michigan but not nor hasn’t here?
I didn’t say I’d expect him to make a final 4 but if he did it wouldn’t necessarily surprise me as a one off, caught lighting in a bottle result.

I also don’t think he’d have that same result here.

But to your question, bc sometimes a fresh start can be good for all involved. He’s hit a point where he has so much animosity towards the fans, UK sports media, etc that it’s almost like he refuses to play the lineups and players he should if it’s been publically called for. On top of that, the boosters don’t support him like they use to here and college sports are all about deep pockets. Wherever he went next, the boosters would be all in on him for 3-5 years and ecstatic about pulling in top classes and the media hoopla that comes with it…the things that we are all numb to bc we ultimately know it’s irrelevant. Thirdly, “success” is relevant to expectations. His success is done at UK where we expect a bare minimum of E8s and maintaining our status as the winningest program. But relative success to a program that would be happy with top 3 finishes in their conference and s16s- ceiling of E8….he can do that. The first round exits likely aren’t a forever thing just as the run the first 5 years wasn’t sustainable.

The relationship here isn’t salvageable and his priorities aren’t what they should be as the man in charge of maintaining the greatest tradition in CBB. But he can do his song and dance somewhere else that would be happy for some positive attention and get excited of draft picks and recruits bc it’s new to them…if he kept getting top recruiting classes, 1 of the 5-6 years he likely gets an E8 just from an odds standpoint…but that’s not enough here if the other seasons are trash. We need an E8 average like our historical data implies

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT