ADVERTISEMENT

No clue if this is true

Couple of quick points.

-Michigan has very high academic standards and doesn’t accept many transfer credits from other schools. So Cal would have serious issues getting some of the 5 star freshmen into Michigan and likely over half the transfer portal likely can’t transfer into Michigan.

-UCLA has negative money right now due to the pandemic AND the state is making them share the Big Ten money next year with Cal. Also Coach Cal loves attention and adulation more then just about any other coach and UCLA has no fanbase and there a zillion more important things in Los Angeles then UCLA basketball.

-I understand the fanbase fascination with Bruce Pearl. But with our history we aren’t hiring someone with known previous NCAA violations. The NCAA may not govern UK in another 5-8 years but for now we aren’t hiring anybody with any shady history.
Cal had a very shady history when he was hired. Not saying Bruce pearl should be the first call but his past is a non issue IMO. His show cause penalty was 13 years ago.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood2.0
If I were asked to read into this, I would say Cal may be hinting about calling it quits, retiring.

This would not at all surprise me. In fact, if it happens, I bet it happens this week.
It’s either that or the boosters and Mitch are encouraging him to move on to a new opportunity

Cal had a very shady history when he was hired. Not saying Bruce pearl should be the first call but his past is a non issue IMO. His show cause penalty was 13 years ago.
Couldn’t disagree more….a long investigation by UK was done into Cal before we made a job offer to make sure there wasn’t anything there besides accusations. Pearl has actual NCAA violation convictions AND it’s widely known as a young coach he turned in another school to the NCAA for violations which is an absolute no-no in the coaching profession. I respect that it’s a non-issue for you, but it’s a massive issue for me and I think it would be for the athletic department and whoever gets hiring authority for the next coach. (Don’t think they let Mitch do it again)

He is NOT a good coach
Good gawd
You and the rest of the whiners screaming through your computer screens at me for that statement can disregard everything Cal's done from UMass to 2020, but that's on you all. He's a better recruiter than coach by a long shot, but he's won a national championship and been to six final fours. He's taken three teams to final fours. He's been named the SEC COTY four times while at Kentucky and the Naismith COTY thrice in his career. He's a good coach whether you accept that fact or not.

Has he soured here? Yep. Is he absolutely incapable of change? Yes. Have the past three seasons felt like one long kick in the peaches? Yep. It's time for him to go. There's no question about that. That said, I'm not backing down from my assertion that he's a great coach.

You and the rest of the whiners screaming through your computer screens at me for that statement can disregard everything Cal's done from UMass to 2020, but that's on you all. He's a better recruiter than coach by a long shot, but he's won a national championship and been to six final fours. He's taken three teams to final fours. He's been named the SEC COTY four times while at Kentucky and the Naismith COTY thrice in his career. He's a good coach whether you accept that fact or not.

Has he soured here? Yep. Is he absolutely incapable of change? Yes. Have the past three seasons felt like one long kick in the peaches? Yep. It's time for him to go. There's no question about that. That said, I'm not backing down from my assertion that he's a great coach.
Anthony Davis and doron lamb won a title, cal started his chicken shit coaching with 10 mins left on that game and let Kansas get back into the game

Agree with everything but the part about cal being a good coach
Dude, I've got people PUNCHING AIR right now for that comment. It's gold.
liar liar i'm kicking my ass GIF by Jerology

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
I am calling BS on this as we can not be that lucky to get rid of him. I just want him GONE by this week-end ! I am afraid we are stuck with him.

Financially it can do much worse.

You're just focused on wins and losses as a fan. The school and atheltics department view it much differently.

It's always easy when it's someone else's money. But UK isn't going to waste it simply because of some unhappy fans that will be over it in a week or 2.

Fans are nothing more than dollar signs to institutions. Their dollar signs have still been increasing annually even in spite of the final results. So, to UK, financially there is no need for a change at this point.

The entire fanbase is pissed. This isn’t a rare one-off occurrence. This is a pattern of suck dating back to 2019.

I was one of Cal’s most ardent supporters until 9-16, but gave him a pass. St. Peter’s left me with a “take him or leave him” attitude. A&M pissed me off to the point that if we failed to reach the Sweet 16, I was done with him.

Last night was the final straw for me. He’s embarrassed our program multiple times on the grandest of stages and squandered one of the most talented (on paper) teams in our history.

And if everything I am seeing on social media and reading texts and Facebook messages from other UK fans I know personally are any indicator, nearly everyone is fed up and wants a divorce.

The fanbase seems united today, but in a very negative way.

Reactions: jrpross
Anthony Davis and doron lamb won a title, cal started his chicken shit coaching with 10 mins left on that game and let Kansas get back into the game
Kansas was never out of that game, IMO. They were a phenomenal team and got to New Orleans for a reason. Robinson was an absolute force.

That said, you're not one of the whiners I'm referring to. You're a civil poster and I appreciate your input. 👍

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Cal's a good coach. He's just gotten on the BBN's bad side over the past few years and it shows. I agree.

The Ladies of BBN Twitter has been pretty in-the-know this past year. Interesting to see what happens.
MdWildcat
ukcatz12
Jkwo
Leadbelly
ColdStoudbeer
JLoad
UKbb4ever
Kybassfan
Spamburgerhamburger
Sejonesy
gracetoyou
JamesLee32
Wildcatfaninohio
Chattanoogawildcat
sk73
k14015
Jayce
Kybluedude
Lempface recently defected
bluefaithful
JFCats
BBBLazing
Shodaman
MdIUK.1
cats#1again
JonathanW
Oboro3
gojvc
Deli Owl
BlueTick 2
Woodsmoke
NuthinbutNylon
jc4446
caneintally
HenryMuto
Dreadlox
ukcatz12

edit: JPFisher

Kansas was never out of that game, IMO. They were a phenomenal team and got to New Orleans for a reason. Robinson was an absolute force.

That said, you're not one of the whiners I'm referring to. You're a civil poster and I appreciate your input. 👍
Appreciate it. I’m just venting we are all upset right now

Reactions: JPFisher
MdWildcat
ukcatz12
Jkwo
Leadbelly
ColdStoudbeer
JLoad
UKbb4ever
Kybassfan
Spamburgerhamburger
Sejonesy
gracetoyou
JamesLee32
Wildcatfaninohio
Chattanoogawildcat
sk73
k14015
Jayce
Kybluedude
bluefaithful
JFCats
BBBLazing
Shodaman
MdIUK.1
cats#1again
JonathanW
Oboro3
gojvc
Deli Owl
BlueTick 2
Woodsmoke
NuthinbutNylon
jc4446
caneintally
HenryMuto
Dreadlox
ukcatz12

I tried talking to one in that group yesterday and they started getting defensive and taking shots at me. Their favorite coach looks like crap and they can’t take it

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I disagree. Cal is not a good coach. Good coaches actually, you know coach. He’s stopped doing that or he actually just forgot how to coach. Either way the version we have of cal now and the version we have had for the past 5 years is not a good coach on any level. He was a marginal bench coach at best during his early tenure here, now even that version of cal is gone.
Oh, I agree that version of Cal is gone. I'm well aware that he's been trash for the past few years. I don't watch games live anymore because I have better odds of winning the lottery than enjoying the shit show that is now UK basketball. I do watch replays, but even those are hard to watch.

That doesn't erase his past accomplishments, though. He's an awful tactician, but one of the best recruiters in college and a great motivator (though you wouldn't know that from the last three post seasons). He's got six FFs to his name for a reason. That's all I'm saying.

MdWildcat
ukcatz12
Jkwo
Leadbelly
ColdStoudbeer
JLoad
UKbb4ever
Kybassfan
Spamburgerhamburger
Sejonesy
gracetoyou
JamesLee32
Wildcatfaninohio
Chattanoogawildcat
sk73
k14015
Jayce
Kybluedude
bluefaithful
JFCats
BBBLazing
Shodaman
MdIUK.1
cats#1again
JonathanW
Oboro3
gojvc
Deli Owl
BlueTick 2
Woodsmoke
NuthinbutNylon
jc4446
caneintally
HenryMuto
Dreadlox
ukcatz12

As flattering as my addition to this guest list is, no, I won't attend your birthday party. I will, however, be happy to offer you a crisp, virtual high-five. ✋

• Love
Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I had a close friend text be before the SEC Tourney that he had been told( he does know someone who could know) that Michigan was interested.and feeling was mutual but who knows.

An AD would really be sticking his neck out for that kind of money . 65 yr old on decline is just risky . What would UK football fans think If we hired Kirk Ferentz, or someone similar? More likely Nike brought up this possibility. It’s hard to imagine a scenario where someone pays big for Cal right now , in 2024. Not someplace like Michigan ….maybe West Virginia, but even doubt that
Maybe Nike was going to pay some of the salary

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT