ADVERTISEMENT

Nike paid the Bagleys...

If the NCAA lets schools hire players parents to be coaches to get that player to commit how would they justify an AAU coach being paid by the AAU programs sponsor. Nike, Adidas, and UA dump millions of dollars into AAU ball every year. Kids get free stuff from those companies year round. Half the coaches are players dads and the ones who aren’t are still very influential in the players lives. This isn’t anything new. Is it shady as hell? Yea, but that’s what AAU and college basketball is these days. You think the Clifton brothers weren’t cashing in on that AAU money?
They didn't justify Renardo Sydney receiving the same benefits as what Bagley got, according to the article. Sydney's dad was his AAU coach just like Bagley's and, like Bagley, was living in an expensive house with no visible means of paying for it. Sidney was suspended for the remainder of his freshman season and 30% of the following season and required to pay back over $11,000 he couldn't prove were legitimate expenses. We'll see if the NCAA is consistent with their rulings or if they give Duke another pass after they've been caught.

But what should be done about it? There’s nothing illegal about it. The NCAA has no governance over AAU or Nike.

Improper benefits. They do have jurisdiction. They already exercised it in the renardo Sidney case.

Not that I expect they'll actually do anything. But they absolutely could and should

There wasn’t much national outrage when Bam appeared on that list that showed players getting paid so I doubt there would be outrage now

Only because it is accepted as fact it was an event paying a clinger on in an attempt to steer him to NC State.

If it had one iota to do with UK, it would be everywhere

There wasn’t much national outrage when Bam appeared on that list that showed players getting paid so I doubt there would be outrage now. So many players have been named at top schools that it isn’t that big of a deal any more since no school is 100% clean as far as taking a player who accepted money.

All in all who cares, you still have to beat a team on the court. I hope they allow all players to profit off their talent. The only people who don’t want that are either greedy because it may cut into their profit or selfish since no money would come out of their pockets

Actually there was on some sports radio.

And Kentucky would be paying for NC State sin.

Reactions: Aike
Not one word of it on Duke Boards. NC State of course has something to say about it. According to PackPride.com, the local media in the Triangle have mentioned not a word. I sure would like for the SEC to bring NC State in along with Virginia Tech to balance east and west and NC State to get them out of having to deal with North Carolina at Chapel Hill and to a lesser extent, Duke.

It is now. I brought it up yesterday in a thread about Kentucky's final four path.

Renardo Sidney had no justification for the money and lied to the NCAA though.

Bagley has no justification either other than he's good at basketball. Same exact thing.

Don't worry, it's all closing in on this Bagley deal. These are the top of the iceberg facts. Wait till they make the connection between his Nike payments and his 110% lock to Duke

Reactions: Lumpy 2
Well, when Enes Kanter's parents received a few thousand dollars on his behalf when he was 16-17 years old from a pro team in Turkey ( there are no amateur teams there) for his tutoring and expenses when traveling, which they placed in an account to be repaid if need be to preserve his amateur status, the NCAA led by Crooked Mark Emmert determined that he had forever lost his amateur status and would never play for UK.

So how is that not showing that the NCAA does have "jurisdiction" when a 17 year old's parents receive 10's of thousands of dollars from a shoe company?

Tens of thousands? Make that a couple of million or so in cash and merchandise over the last few years funneled to the Bagley family. If Apple Jones was raking in a quarter million or more a year from UA and Adidas for her son Josh Jackson, Bagley was getting at least twice that.

Marvin Bagley III is not an amateur, and it’s a travesty that he is on the same court playing for a championship against legitimate student-athletes like the kids from Rhode Island who are receiving nothing more than a scholarship.

Crickets from the national media. If Bagley was at UK, I can think of at least 4 high profile sportswriters who’d be writing about nothin but this.

The Bagley commercials have already started and he’s not even graduated yet. Notice the JCPenney sponsorship of his music video.

Is it obvious yet that this merchandising and promotion is part of the benefits promised to recruits? Apparently “The Brotherhood” consists of a bunch of Ad Execs and PR Reps.

Reactions: STEVECAT
The Bagley commercials have already started and he’s not even graduated yet. Notice the JCPenney sponsorship of his music video.

Is it obvious yet that this merchandising and promotion is part of the benefits promised to recruits? Apparently “The Brotherhood” consists of a bunch of Ad Execs and PR Reps.

It also shows he almost surely has an agent

Bagley has no justification either other than he's good at basketball. Same exact thing.

Don't worry, it's all closing in on this Bagley deal. These are the top of the iceberg facts. Wait till they make the connection between his Nike payments and his 110% lock to Duke

Marvin Bagley Jr ran a Nike grassroots program.

Nike paid him to form a “grassroots program” because his son was the top player in the country. Then they hand-delivered him to Duke.

I just wonder who took his online classes for him? Someone at Nike or one of Capel’s buddies?

Jeff Capel, you pork belly bastard, is that you? How do you have time to post with all them corn dogs you love to eat. If you aint eatin you are bad mouthin cal to anyone who will listen. Now run along and eat a bag of dicks.

Reactions: Cindog28
Too bad he couldn’t attend any other school because he is an Academic All American at Duke.
You left out that detail.

He’s taking classes like “History of Hip-Hop” for Christ’s Sake, of course he’s making straight A’s.

Reactions: Aike

No. He was recruited by Nike to start that program.

It is beyond dispute that Bagley and his family were paid huge amounts of money for Bagleys talents.

The real question is who associated with Nike placed him at Duke (steered isn't strong enough word) and why?

Reactions: shep21754 and Aike
No. He was recruited by Nike to start that program.

It is beyond dispute that Bagley and his family were paid huge amounts of money for Bagleys talents.

The real question is who associated with Nike placed him at Duke (steered isn't strong enough word) and why?

Nike wanted him at UK but Bagley wanted to play at Duke.

How much longer with this troll?

I suppose Nike has wanted all of these recruits at UK but the lure of sharing donuts with Capel is just too strong.

Uh - no, Marvin and his Dad were all about UK until something mysteriously changed about a year or so ago. That’s back when UK was the big leader in his Crystal Ball and most Duke recruiting guys didn’t even think Duke was seriously recruiting him.

Gosh, I wonder what happened about a year or so ago. Check out Bagley’s Dad in the UK shirt back on 2105 in this article.

http://arizonasports.com/story/2638...n-bagley-iii-talks-scholarship-offers-family/

Uh - no, Marvin and his Dad were all about UK until something mysteriously changed about a year or so ago. That’s back when UK was the big leader in his Crystal Ball and most Duke recruiting guys didn’t even think Duke was seriously recruiting him.

Gosh, I wonder what happened about a year or so ago. Check out Bagley’s Dad in the UK shirt back on 2105 in this article.

http://arizonasports.com/story/2638...n-bagley-iii-talks-scholarship-offers-family/

Nike game him that shirt... like I said.

Gotta love watching K and Duke overcome the Nike recruiting machine. Heartwarming.

Reactions: GG24
This is a damning article in regard to the NCAA. How can you attend 3 high schools in 3 years and re-classify and become eligible at Duke of all places? I could not have re-classified an attended LCC after my Jr year of HS and that would just be as a student. They might not be able to place blame on Duke with this story but if Nike was paying the Bagleys, this could render Bagley as being ineligible which would cost Duke something.

I understand he (Bagley) had to take three on-line courses at the last minute to qualify. Two were advanced math courses which he completed in the first week. The third an English course that took him a week longer. So he is either a genius or a fraud. I know which I believe.

Nike game him that shirt... like I said.

Gotta love watching K and Duke overcome the Nike recruiting machine. Heartwarming.

Like the delusional Duke fans who tried to claim that the meeting with the agent and Lebron that Reddish was seen coming out of was a last ditch effort to get him to come to UK. [roll]

Zion turned down the opportunity to play with close friends IQ at UK and Nassir Little at UNC to be a 6’6” power forward at Duke. All these kids so courageously defying that UK-Nike Machine and all the wealth and fame that comes with it to play for that paragon of academic and athletic integrity. So uplifting!

CAN you say congressional hearings??? That’s where Emrett and the NCAA are heading. This tops steroids in baseball. Once the feds blow the cover off this and we see the scope, Congress will get to the bottom of it and big heads will role. There is so many moving pieces and the fact the investigation is now at nikes doorstep, well some serious shat is about to go down in the next year or so.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Too bad he couldn’t attend any other school because he is an Academic All American at Duke.
You left out that detail.

So he's enrolled at Duke, but taking on line AFAM classes from UNC??? I bet the UNC tutors just email the master copy pdf file to the Duke tutors and they replace Cartwright Carmichaels' name with Marvin's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartwright_Carmichael

The NCAA giving the Duke and UNC permission for is BS and you know it! You know it in your heart it is!

CAN you say congressional hearings??? That’s where Emrett and the NCAA are heading. This tops steroids in baseball. Once the feds blow the cover off this and we see the scope, Congress will get to the bottom of it and big heads will role. There is so many moving pieces and the fact the investigation is now at nikes doorstep, well some serious shat is about to go down in the next year or so.
Like this one in 2014? which accomplished ->[pfftt]

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4509010/mark-emmert-testimony-congress

Reactions: blubo
If the NCAA dodged the bullet in the UNC case they can weather the storm in this one.Fake classes = fraud(they didn't provide an education)a diploma handed to some athletes the day they set foot on campus would have had as much value as the one they got 4 years later and misuse of federal money(Pell grants)the Feds had plenty of reason to look into what UNC did for 20 years but haven't done so

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
If the NCAA dodged the bullet in the UNC case they can weather the storm in this one.Fake classes = fraud(they didn't provide an education)a diploma handed to some athletes the day they set foot on campus would have had as much value as the one they got 4 years later and misuse of federal money(Pell grants)the Feds had plenty of reason to look into what UNC did for 20 years but haven't done so

The pell grant fraud issue is the one the thing that just blows me away-----as far as there being no "crime" or investigation. If the feds have the time, effort and energy to "expose" the "dirty" side AAU/college athletics, how can the genuinely ignore legitimate/institutional pell grant fraud by UNC---for 20+ years? That has to be a significant amount of money---fleeced from the taxpayer and defrauding primarily young AA males from an education. The appearance of impropriety alone---would seem to have more substance than the current investigation IMO. Would seem to be a slam dunk case IMO. Why has this issue been ignored?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT