ADVERTISEMENT

Nike/Duke corruption

That’s all in your head. Don’t let it get to you.

Yeah, the Lance Thomas case is factual proof that the NCAA will turn s blind eye for Duke. When that story broke the NCAA proactively released a statement saying that if no one agrees to talk with us then there is nothing we can do about it. The story went away as quickly as it hit the news.

Meanwhile cal got a 6 page letter from the NCAA about his 500th win celebration he had at UK in 2010. The letter reminded him that he did not have 500 wins due to games being vacated and any mention of such record should be removed from UK’s programming. 6 pages, might have even been 7.

What specifically about Derrick Rose leads you to believe he didn't take his test? Handwriting experts couldn't even prove it.

Pretty sure the handwriting guy said while he couldn't prove it, he strongly believed it was someone else. That and the fact that Rose's score went up significantly, is pretty good evidence someone else took it. That doesn't mean Cal had anything to do with it of course.

Reactions: BlueBlood66
Pretty sure the handwriting guy said while he couldn't prove it, he strongly believed it was someone else. That and the fact that Rose's score went up significantly, is pretty good evidence someone else took it. That doesn't mean Cal had anything to do with it of course.
I'm not arguing assumptions. I'm arguing stone cold proof. If you're going to let the Cheats off the hook because of a technicality when the writing is basically on the wall, you're going against the precedent you set with Rose/Memphis. I get that the situations are day/night, but you can't rule based on assumption and then require proof/letter of the law for others.

For that matter, Lance Thomas/Duke. They didn't punish because he wouldn't cooperate. Derrick Rose didn't cooperate either. Totally different outcome. The NCAA blatantly shows favoritism towards some while crucifying others.

I'm not arguing assumptions. I'm arguing stone cold proof. If you're going to let the Cheats off the hook because of a technicality when the writing is basically on the wall, you're going against the precedent you set with Rose/Memphis. I get that the situations are day/night, but you can't rule based on assumption and then require proof/letter of the law for others.

For that matter, Lance Thomas/Duke. They didn't punish because he wouldn't cooperate. Derrick Rose didn't cooperate either. Totally different outcome. The NCAA blatantly shows favoritism towards some while crucifying others.

There was no assumption with Rose... the testing board invalidated his score. Without that score he was ineligible. There was no choice or decision for the NCAA to make.

There was no assumption with Rose... the testing board invalidated his score. Without that score he was ineligible. There was no choice or decision for the NCAA to make.
None with Thomas either,he bought a load of jewelry he couldn't afford without help.Magettee took payments,no doubt.What happened to Duke because of those incidents,I can't seem to recall?

None with Thomas either,he bought a load of jewelry he couldn't afford without help.Magettee took payments,no doubt.What happened to Duke because of those incidents,I can't seem to recall?

You’re assuming Thomas couldn’t afford the jewelry... there was no outside governing body that determined that. It’s not that hard to understand.

The Maggette incident Duke probably should have been punished but we crowd sourced a large payment to the NCAA to avoid sanctions and it worked.

Without even a shred of evidence. It's too bad nobody would ever put a Duke player through such scrutiny. K and the NCAA would never allow it. There's such a double standard and it's obvious to everybody but Duke fans.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
You’re assuming Thomas couldn’t afford the jewelry... there was no outside governing body that determined that. It’s not that hard to understand.

The Maggette incident Duke probably should have been punished but we crowd sourced a large payment to the NCAA to avoid sanctions and it worked.
You folks must get a hell of a discount as frequent customers of the crowd sourcing business platform.

So you admit that NCAA let you off for cheating.

UK nearly got SMU’d for paying a player $1,000 and poster’s here say I’m wear a tinfoil hat for saying there’s bias.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
https://www.foxsports.com/college-b...uard-trevon-duval-re-opens-recruitment-101316

Recruiting: 2017’s top point guard Trevon Duval re-opens recruitment
foxsportsJun 30, 2017

Duke and Baylor are now recruiting the top point guard in the class of 2017.
The best point guard in the class of 2017, five-star prospect Trevon Duval, cut his list down to 10 schools at the end of August. Surprisingly, Duval left Duke and Kentucky off his list and eliminated the expected favorite, UCLA, at the beginning of September.

A month later, Duval has re-opened his entire recruitment and has already heard from the Duke Blue Devils and Baylor Bears, according to USA Today.

After an open gym session, Duval spoke with an assistant coach who was there recruiting one of his teammates and learned how strong the rumor had grown.

“The coach said, ‘I’m not gonna recruit you, I already know where you’re going,” said Duval, the top-ranked floor general in the ESPN 100. “I was like ‘Huh?’ I couldn’t believe how many people were believing this lie. I had to do something about it.”

“I’m open to everyone,” Duval said to USA Today. “It doesn’t matter if you’ve been recruiting me or if you were and fell of a little bit or if you never were and want to I’m open. I’ll treat every school like they’ve been there from day one. I just want it to be known that I have no idea where I’m going. That’s crazy.”

“I feel good about it now that I’m clearing things up,” Duval said. “I want to be able to make the best decision for where I’ll play in college and I can’t do that if people are believing lies about me basically already knowing something. I’ll be setting up some officials soon and every school recruiting me has a chance. It’s about what’s best for me.”

It was always interesting that Duval, the 5th best player in ESPN’s top 100, kept the two top recruiting programs in the country off his final list. With the slate sort of wiped clean, Duval can now take officials visits and re-set his mindset.

But assistant coaches potentially knowing where Duval was expected to commit may not be the only reason that schools were uninterested in spending time recruiting the point guard.

It’s possible that schools like Duke and Kentucky were staying away from his services due to the potential questions about Duval’s NCAA eligibility.

The point guard attended Advanced Prep International, which is an extension of Prime Prep. Prime Prep was a school that was flagged by the NCAA and has produced products like Emmanuel Mudiay and Terrance Ferguson, who both never played college basketball due to eligibility concerns.

Duval is now attending IMG Academy for his senior season. Maybe that could clear up some concerns with the NCAA, however, Duke has yet to offer a scholarship and Kentucky hasn’t shown interest (at least as far as we know).

There is no question about Duval’s talent though. The 6’3″, 183 pound point guard handles the ball on a string, attacks the rim like it’s his final possession of his career, can play in pick-and-roll situations and is a crafty finisher around the cup. He competes on defense, is elite in transition and is a solid, consistent passer who is unselfish.

Every school in the country should want the Wilmington, Delaware native on their roster. If the eligibility issues get cleaned up, it’s only a matter of time."

Sure sounds like a loan to me

Thomas, currently in the NBA, had his story/this case go public after jewelry that he was afforded back in December 2009 still hadn't been paid off.

Link

Is any NCAA player with a credit card in violation? What about any NCAA player with a car that wasn’t purchased outright?

More so that I don’t think the NCAA wants to pin anyone down... especially any major Nike school.

That doesn't matter. He got a loan, which is an impermissible benefit.

Yea this is not true

Sure sounds like a loan to me

Thomas, currently in the NBA, had his story/this case go public after jewelry that he was afforded back in December 2009 still hadn't been paid off.

Link
He bought it on credit based on his future professional earnings.

Impermissible. Maybe one of the easiest cases ever. Yet, nothing.

All speculation aside, let’s be honest, K/ Duke have to offer benefits to recruits. Seriously, would you let your kid play for that creepy dude? Same as Pitino, but he lost that when he left UK.

About this Lance Thomas thing and UNCheats thing.

Bottom line. They cheated, noone would cooperate. And instead of doing what they do to Podunk University, meaning they nuke them until someone comes up with proof otherwise, They do nothing. They didnt want to bring down their prized cow. Just like with Carolina. NCAA doesnt have to have proof you did it. You have to have prove you didnt. They can hammer who they want when they want. Its a matter of only "Who They want". Obviously it aint duke or uncheats.

The difference between UNC and almost all other schools who get punished is simply this. Those schools typically have admitted to infractions and / or agreed with the NCAA on the underlying facts. That’s really it.

You have to keep in mind that the enforcement process was intentionally designed by the universities to limit the NCAA’s power. So it’s a collaborative process where the NCAA and school essentially have to agree on the facts to be considered. The downside to that approach is that you end up with a system where the people who cooperate quite often get harsher sentences than the people who fight the NCAA.

Totally get your frustration though. UNC is the biggest fraud in the history of college athletics and got off scot free. Shouldn’t have happened.
So deny and spend lots of your money on good attorneys? I had the opportunity to go to law school, but a knack for software and a burgeoning love of the Rockies took me down a different path. Thankfully. Any x girlfriend will tell you I hate to argue. I would have made a lousy lawyer. But I could twiddle bits.

Which part? The credit was based on future pro earnings? It was $75k of jewelry. Let's go find the same jeweler and see if he will extend the same to a math major.

He settled the case. So he owed the money.

Probably based on the down payment and a good credit score. Thomas had pretty much zero pro potential at that point. But congrats to him for working hard and sticking in the league as long as he has.

Probably based on the down payment and a good credit score. Thomas had pretty much zero pro potential at that point. But congrats to him for working hard and sticking in the league as long as he has.

LMAO good credit score. You realize how they determine a credit score? Combination of credit history, income sources, and existing credit.

A college freshman has none of those. Not for 75k. Not without factoring potential professional earnings.

Now who's making the assumptions?

This was one of the easiest enforcement cases of all time. Yet the NCAA buried their heads in the sand

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that a college student with NO JOBBY JOB can't afford a 70k loan. It was absolutely lent based on future potential earnings. If you're going to post here, stop with the bullshit. You're worse than a UNC fan who still touts the Carolina Way.

You’re whole argument was based off of saying the Rose issue was an assumption on the NCAAs part. It wasn’t. He was ineligible because he had no valid SAT or ACT score.

LMAO good credit score. You realize how they determine a credit score? Combination of credit history, income sources, and existing credit.

A college freshman has none of those. Not for 75k. Not without factoring potential professional earnings.

Now who's making the assumptions?

This was one of the easiest enforcement cases of all time. Yet the NCAA buried their heads in the sand

You are making assumptions. You don’t have any evidence that he was given a loan based off of future earning potential.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT