ADVERTISEMENT

Wilt Chamberlain Pic

twwilliams9

Silver Member
Apr 29, 2024
IMG-3205.jpg

Wilt was a living superhuman. I’m not sure the world has ever produced anyone else like him. All the talk of who the GOAT is aside, it’s pretty easy to say that Wilt would have been a dominant force at any time period and at anything where being an Incredible Hulk would have been advantageous…whether that would have been a Roman army general or a modern day NBA player.

Last edited:
Wilt the stilt may have a record never to be broken 100 pts in a game that's almost unbelievable I remember wilt when he played for the LA Lakers toward the end of his career

Reactions: pappy52
Saw him when I was a kid. He was a coach for the San Diego Conquistadors in the old ABA. The man was massive. He dwarfed everybody on the court with the exception of Artis Gilmore.

Reactions: JDHoss and Blouman
Wilt the stilt may have a record never to be broken 100 pts in a game that's almost unbelievable I remember wilt when he played for the LA Lakers toward the end of his career
Only reason it might be broken some day would be the large number if 3 point shots now being taken. Not saying it will but that might be a reason it could. We've seen some very big nights where numbers have been very high because of the 3. Makes Wilt's accomplishment all that much greater to me.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I read where you could lob the over top of the backboard on out of bound plays. They would lob it up and Wilt would dunk it. Heard some teams hung chicken wire up to stop it. Eventually they made lobbing over the backboard illegal.

Wilt was a living superhuman. I’m not sure the world has ever produced anyone else like him. All the talk of who the GOAT is aside, it’s pretty easy to say that Wilt would have been a dominant force at any time period and at anything where being an Incredible Hulk would have been advantageous…whether that would have been a Roman army general or a modern day NBA player.
I agree. He would be dominant today. His two main shots, besides dunks, were his turn-around fade away jump shot off the glass(over half his shots) and his finger roll. Both were unblockable and unstoppable and still would be so today; I think those two shots and Kareem's skyhook are the 3 most unstoppable shots of all time.

Reactions: KFuqua and Fox2monk
Only reason it might be broken some day would be the large number if 3 point shots now being taken. Not saying it will but that might be a reason it could. We've seen some very big nights where numbers have been very high because of the 3. Makes Wilt's accomplishment all that much greater to me.

Wilt got up 63 shots in that game. 63! The rest of the team took 52 combined. His teammates were immediately fouling throughout the 4th quarter just so they could get Wilt the ball back, and fed it to him every single possession. Those points were largely manufactured.

That’s right….100 points and I believe 50 rebounds in that same game. Unless Lebron decides to reevaluate his gender and play in the WNBA, Wilt’s single game record will never be broken.

Reactions: KFuqua
That’s right….100 points and I believe 50 rebounds in that same game. Unless Lebron decides to reevaluate his gender and play in the WNBA, Wilt’s single game record will never be broken.

No team will ever go to the extreme lengths that Wilt’s did to get him the record.

😂 at Pete Rose. I don’t think he was ever even the best at his position. He was good, but not great. What separated him was longevity!
I would putt Sanders ahead of Payton.
you serious. played in 17 all star games. only player to play 500 games at 5 different positions. only player to start in all star games at 5 different positions. i think that qualifies as great

Last edited:
You Pete Rose slurpers are hilarious. "All-Star games"! The All-Star game is a popularity contest, and he played on the best team during it's 5-6 year run, I seem to remember the one year almost every starter on that team was in the all-star game.
"played 500 games at 5 different positions"? Impressive? Yes. Great? Noooo. That is right there with the longevity part.
Was Rose a power hitter? Not even close.
Did he steal a lot of bases? No. Some considered him a good base runner, others said he was wrecklessly aggressive, I'll give him the benefit of doubt and say he was a good (above average) baserunner.
Was he good defensively? Actually, no. Average at best at most of those 5 positions.
What was his best skill? He was a good hitter, good at getting on base. But even with that, there are many who have been better. He was a .303 career hitter with a .375 OBP. I realize that was dragged down due to him playing so long, too long (to break a record). Even if you look until the last season he hit .300+ he was a career .310 hitter until then. Or just looking at his (long) prime 65-79, he was a .316 hitter. For comparison the greatest all around hitter of all-time (Ted Williams) has not been mentioned by anyone. After WW2, the top hitters have been:
Tony Gwynn is a .338
Musial .331
Boggs .328
Carew .328
Puckett .318
Vlad .318
Clemente .317
ALL better hitters than Rose, and most were either better defensively or had much more power.
There are 6 more post-WW2 hitters from .317 to .311

Should Rose be in the discussion of best baseball players of all time? Yes. Is he a shoe-in? No. Well I guess it depends on how many players you are going to include. I can't imagine him in anyone's top 10 or even top 20 baseball player list, other than a "Fan" of his.

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua
Wilt, Arnold and Andre The Giant made a movie together. They worked out together during filming. Arnold said Wilt could throw him around like a rag doll.
I recently saw a pic of those 3 together while making that movie. Man those 2 made Arnold look little.

Watched him play when he was playing for the Lakers and played against Bill Russell with the Celtics. The NBA was fun to watch back then.

Reactions: blubo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT