ADVERTISEMENT

New CBA Deal

Mar 21, 2023
Anyone know the details on the NBA’s new CBA deal? Looks like they may be changing the requirements to enter NBA draft.

The NBA loves the 1 year rule so they can see how these supposed stars perform on a level playing field. But it’s not too long that they get ruined by the college game.

The player’s association loves it because it keeps marginal players in a job for one more year.

Reactions: EliteBlue
The NBA loves the 1 year rule so they can see how these supposed stars perform on a level playing field. But it’s not too long that they get ruined by the college game.

The player’s association loves it because it keeps marginal players in a job for one more year.
I have a question about your second point, which I see made often. The same amount of people are drafted every year. How does drafting a guy after 1 year of college instead of drafting them out of keep marginal players in the NBA?

Reactions: 1war and DreadLox
Makes sense. They were getting burned with high school kids that weren't panning out.
That's actually a myth. A higher percent of HS kids drafted in the first round were more successful than any college class during the same time.

I really wish they’d go to out of highschool or wait 2 years if opt for college, but invest heavily in the G League as a farm system. So pay isn’t directly ties to what pick they go…if you’re a high school kid they send you to the GLeague on league minimum (4 year guaranteed opportunity) to develop (test out) but they can call you up at anytime and activate the draft position salary. If you enter as a HS but go undrafted you retain college eligibility…kinda how getting drafted from HS and turning down your draft pick in MLB doesn’t impact college eligibility

So a Lebron,Kobe,KG could go…play 2-10 games in the GLeague w minimal financial risk to the organization and after a few games of seeing them dominate they’d be called up almost immediately and activate their million dollar contracts. …… but the Kwame Browns would get stuck in the GLeague making 40-50k for 4 years so it evens out the risk/reward for GMs all while helping the college game keep the fringe 1st rounders or day 1 nba guys that chose the NIL and college experience and avoiding possibly getting stuck in the GLeague around for a second year.

If i was an NBA player I would love the 2 year rule as that would let me stay in the NBA that much longer. JMO

I have a question about your second point, which I see made often. The same amount of people are drafted every year. How does drafting a guy after 1 year of college instead of drafting them out of keep marginal players in the NBA?
That's one of the reasons I disagree with Calipari's position about generation poverty. The same number of players are get big contracts whether they play for Calipari or not.

The new draftees don’t all make teams. But I see your point. It’s kind of a wash. If it’s not freshmen it’s someone else.
If i was an NBA player I would love the 2 year rule as that would let me stay in the NBA that much longer. JMO

True. But as others pointed out, the same number are being drafted.

Reactions: westerncat
Yeah it just messes franchises up completely. Of course with Bennett, no one on earth saw that coming. That's just bad management.
I would say Kwame Brown was very similar. He was the 6th ranked HS prospect according to RSCI in that class. Tyson Chandler was picked right behind him and was the talk of being the #1 pick until late in the process when Kwame jumped up out of nowhere.

That's one of the reasons I disagree with Calipari's position about generation poverty. The same number of players are get big contracts whether they play for Calipari or not.
Definitely. 50% of the stuff out of Cal’s mouth is what he makes up on the fly. However it is PHD marketing stuff.

50 kids would declare out of HS every year now. Not like the old days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT