ADVERTISEMENT

Consistently Inconsistent

struggler

Sophomore
Jan 23, 2013
This is the new Cal standard. Cannot retain or build a consistent roster, certainly nothing that we be healthy mentally, physically competitively by end of season. Cannot grow players so instead gets them to move on and hopes something else will work for a year. Distraction of waving new players, new hopes, new coaches.... yet the ONE constant is Cal - his coaching - his unaccountability for results - his inability to build a roster. Typical politician Friday document/news dump.

All this has his typical built in excuses like "These guys are all young/new", "Things are different at UK - we are not for everybody", "it's hard to coach/play at UK".

He has built a miserable program and a dysfunctional system. Can't leave soon enough.

That is called the Transfer Portal. Did I hear there are expected to be like 2,000 players in it.
This is the NEW College Basketball world; not just UK.

That said, few would argue that Cal has some problems in his own system/coaching/structuring/ect... that needs to be improved.

I will say I agree to a point but man the success his guys are experiencing in the NBA playoffs right now tell me he does prepare some to have great success. He just needs to win more while he has them at UK. I don’t mind making these guys “generational wealth” but GD it place an emphasis on winning basketball games for UK!!!!

This is the new Cal standard. Cannot retain or build a consistent roster, certainly nothing that we be healthy mentally, physically competitively by end of season. Cannot grow players so instead gets them to move on and hopes something else will work for a year. Distraction of waving new players, new hopes, new coaches.... yet the ONE constant is Cal - his coaching - his unaccountability for results - his inability to build a roster. Typical politician Friday document/news dump.

All this has his typical built in excuses like "These guys are all young/new", "Things are different at UK - we are not for everybody", "it's hard to coach/play at UK".

He has built a miserable program and a dysfunctional system. Can't leave soon enough.
It’s called the TRANSFER portal and NIL. It’s not just Cal.

It’s called the TRANSFER portal and NIL. It’s not just Cal.
And the seasons prior to the transfer portal and NIL?

I think another poster said it better than me... Toxic people cannot maintain relationships. This and Cal doesn't know how to fix the mess he has created... so he just keeps trying new people (within his broken system)... we will continue to get what we have gotten the past several years.

And the seasons prior to the transfer portal and NIL?

I think another poster said it better than me... Toxic people cannot maintain relationships. This and Cal doesn't know how to fix the mess he has created... so he just keeps trying new people (within his broken system)... we will continue to get what we have gotten the past several years.
I think for the most part Cal's players love him. The problem is his players are either NBA ready after one year or get recruited over most of time the next year if they are not. It just is what is I am afraid. He definitely has blown some opportunities to win several more titles with the teams we have had though.

I will say I agree to a point but man the success his guys are experiencing in the NBA playoffs right now tell me he does prepare some to have great success. He just needs to win more while he has them at UK. I don’t mind making these guys “generational wealth” but GD it place an emphasis on winning basketball games for UK!!!!
Those generationally wealthy guys should help us with NIL if they can in some way. If not use some money to convince Barnhart to upgrade the facilities again.

Which is why I say Cal does not develop talent, he just coaches talent. Collins is the perfect example, the kid has raw talent and is very athletic, now granted losing his father seemed to slow him down for a bit this season but it is a shame we could not keep him on the roster.

Even the most Coach Cal lovers would have to admit there are things in UK's program that need changing but all these transfers are not just on the coaching staff.
Coach Cal deserves a break on all the criticism this summer for transfers.
Livingston...he was raw, made strides and like many before him feel he is bigger than the environment he is in

Collins...one could argue he needs more time or hasn't had many opportunities but the ones he did have he was nothing to write home about. Wanting to be closer to home; he will still be the same player but happy to see family when he needs too.

CJ...can't see why on this. Want to be a bigger fish in someones pond? He really hasn't shown he is ready for prime time but his heart and effort are solid UK. Why not stay and make some money?

Oscar...reminds me of players like Steve Alford, Daman Bailey from IU; damn good college players but never really NBA talent. Oscar has talent but his "lack of" other parts of his game hurt him more. Wish he would stay myself.

Reeves...stay and make as much as you can at UK as it just might be his biggest payday playing basketball.

Toppin...we may never hear his name again expect for his brother. Like the kid but NBA ready?

College sports is out of control and everybody knows it but they let the jeannie out of the bottle and she is going wild.
Coaches all over are dealing with this crap.
Free agency killed baseball, basketball and now has the NCAA in its sights.
I get it when people say you go where the money is but when you sign a contract, that should mean something. Players sign contracts or scholarships, have a great year and think they can demand more.
This is not on Coach Cal. How he handles it is on him.

That is called the Transfer Portal. Did I hear there are expected to be like 2,000 players in it.
This is the NEW College Basketball world; not just UK.

That said, few would argue that Cal has some problems in his own system/coaching/structuring/ect... that needs to be improved.
Cal is NOT going to improve anything that BB Bennies can see need improvement. The guy is at the very end of his career. That's just reality.

sleepy funny dog GIF

I think for the most part Cal's players love him. The problem is his players are either NBA ready after one year or get recruited over most of time the next year if they are not. It just is what is I am afraid. He definitely has blown some opportunities to win several more titles with the teams we have had though.
Agree to a point - Players successful in the NBA like him - otherwise - many move on. Your point was likely not intentional and no disrespect for it - but I would like a coach who is successful with, and for UK, and puts UK and it's program and results first... not so much the NBA. Clearly Cal sees the NBA success as the priority - thus the continued indifference to UK, UK results and acceptance of UK mediocrity.

UK is nowhere close to elite, not respected or feared. Sadly any thoughts of that are a distant memory - and Cal is fine with it. People don't talk about UK because of elite results. They talk about UK for it's shortcomings, it's overpaid coach, it's lack of results and early exits from tournaments and it's NBA possibilities... but not because of anything UK is achieving as a program.

Last edited:
Which is why I say Cal does not develop talent, he just coaches talent. Collins is the perfect example, the kid has raw talent and is very athletic, now granted losing his father seemed to slow him down for a bit this season but it is a shame we could not keep him on the roster.
Problem is, it can be argued both ways. So you don't think Cal developed Tyler Ulis, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Nick Richards, etc? Or will you simply argue they were underrated as recruits? They turned out pretty solid, no? And none of them were considered elite talent. So does he get credit or no?

Because if that's the case, then you have to do the same when players don't pan out. Was it Cal's fault on Skal or was it Skal's fault or the fault of those that had him ranked so high? Wiltjer went off to Gonzaga yet I don't see him in the NBA, is that Cal's fault? Not a single player that has transferred away from UK has been taken in the NBA Draft. Not a single one. Why do you think that is?

Does he win with elite talent, absolutely. Does he do a good job with subpar talent, absolutely not. But let's be fair about it.

Problem is, it can be argued both ways. So you don't think Cal developed Tyler Ulis, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Nick Richards, etc? Or will you simply argue they were underrated as recruits? They turned out pretty solid, no? And none of them were considered elite talent. So does he get credit or no?

Because if that's the case, then you have to do the same when players don't pan out. Was it Cal's fault on Skal or was it Skal's fault or the fault of those that had him ranked so high? Wiltjer went off to Gonzaga yet I don't see him in the NBA, is that Cal's fault? Not a single player that has transferred away from UK has been taken in the NBA Draft. Not a single one. Why do you think that is?

Does he win with elite talent, absolutely. Does he do a good job with subpar talent, absolutely not. But let's be fair about it.
Fair, better coaches have done far better with lesser talent than Cal.

Welcome to Semi-Pro College Basketball. SHOW ME DA MONEY!!! This is just beginning folks. The corruption of college basketball has begun with NIL and the portal

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT