ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Playoffs Round 1 Cowtown Cat vs. quest4#9

Who will win the most titles in 7 years?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DraftCat

Senior
Nov 5, 2011
Welcome players to the NBA Rupp Rafters Playoffs!!!

The goal was to see which team could win the most championships in 7 years.

Voters please review each team roster and their arguments and vote for the team you think best accomplished the objective. You will be allowed to change your vote. This round of voting is for 2 days.

@Cowtown Cat - Jamal Murray, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Paul George, Rudy Gobert, Robert Covington, Jarrett Allen, Jarrett Culver, Spencer Dinwiddie, Eric Bledsoe, DeAndre Hunter, Wendell Carter, KCP

vs.

@quest4#9 - Jayson Tatum, Kevin Durant, Tyler Herro, Russell Westbrook, Caris levert, Andre Drummond, Andrew Wiggins, Jusuf Nurkic, Kyle Lowry, Eric Gordon, Immanuel Quickley, Cam Reddish

I would like to post my starting five as: Murray, SGA, Dinwiddie, George and Gobert. That is allowed, right? LOL

For sure I usually don't edit the main post however.... take a look at how I posted my line up.... I would just edit this post you have right here.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I would start

pg Russell Westbrook
Sg Tyler Herro
Sf Jayson Tatum
Pf Kevin Durant
C Andre drummond

My only thing about KD, is when is he gonna be back playing? Also, will be even be the same player? The guy ruptured his Achilles tendon, after all.

Went with quest here.

Paul George is a fraud and looks done. The dude is a loser who sucks when the pressure is one. Shai struggled pretty significantly in the playoffs as well. The rest of the roster sans Murray, who is still really hot or cold, is a lot of meh IMO. Just don't like the roster makeup.

Durant even at 80% is better than anyone on CC's roster for the next few years. Tatum has absolute star potential. And I like Caris LeVert more than anyone else on CC's bench.

Went with quest here.

Paul George is a fraud and looks done. The dude is a loser who sucks when the pressure is one. Shai struggled pretty significantly in the playoffs as well. The rest of the roster sans Murray, who is still really hot or cold, is a lot of meh IMO. Just don't like the roster makeup.

Durant even at 80% is better than anyone on CC's roster for the next few years. Tatum has absolute star potential. And I like Caris LeVert more than anyone else on CC's bench.
Lol okay. Only reason Durant even has a title is because he had to go to a team that had like three of four more future HOFers. Furthermore, I remember George performing very well in the playoffs in Indiana.

Lol okay. Only reason Durant even has a title is because he had to go to a team that had like three of four more future HOFers. Furthermore, I remember George performing very well in the playoffs in Indiana.

Don't have to take it personal. I saw Durant outplay LeBron on the biggest stage and Durant has been the best player on a championship team. Paul George will never be that. I don't even think he can be the second best player on a championship team at this point.

Don't have to take it personal. I saw Durant outplay LeBron on the biggest stage and Durant has been the best player on a championship team. Paul George will never be that. I don't even think he can be the second best player on a championship team at this point.
Didn’t take it personal at all. You mean Durant outplayed Lebron, while on the Warriors, with four other all star caliber players around him? Durant’s team got beat 4-1 when Lebron was in Miami and he was in OKC, when the teams were much, much more even.

Who’s to say Durant even comes back to 80%? Nobody truly knows. He did have one of the worst injuries you can have as a basketball player, though. That, we do know.

Either way, your argument is flawed. It’s not an even comparison. Put George on that Warriors team and I guarantee you they still win the title. Hell, they won it just two years prior to Durant going there and should’ve won it in 2016. The Warriors literally eliminated Durant’s Thunder team the season before he joined them.

Last edited:
I’m leaning Cowtown because I feel that his team has a better flow than quest’s. I could definitely be swayed though.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Not even sure what you're arguing. I just said that Durant outplayed LBJ in a NBA Finals and that Durant was the best player on a championship team, which seems to be pretty important in an exercise where you're trying to project what teams can win a championship, and both of which you appear to not disagree with since you're just trying to sidestep around those points and create other arguments. Are you trying to argue that Paul George is on Durant's level? Surely not. Durant sustained an awful injury, but let's not act like Paul George hasn't been crippled by injuries the last few years.

Not even sure what you're arguing. I just said that Durant outplayed LBJ in a NBA Finals and that Durant was the best player on a championship team, which seems to be pretty important in an exercise where you're trying to project what teams can win a championship, and both of which you appear to not disagree with since you're just trying to sidestep around those points and create other arguments. Are you trying to argue that Paul George is on Durant's level? Surely not. Durant sustained an awful injury, but let's not act like Paul George hasn't been crippled by injuries the last few years.
I’m saying Durant never wins a title unless he goes to Golden State. That’s what I’m saying. Never said George was on Durant’s level. However, George has since returned from his injuries. OTOH, Durant has not.

I’m not a huge fan of either team. I think Murray and Tatum will both be very good over the next 7 years, but without a healthy Durant, I don’t see either team winning much, and with Durant healthy it is more like. 3-4 year window.

I'd probably try and argue George was still hurt based on how he looked in the playoffs. Because if he was 100% in the bubble he looks like a guy who is a fringe starter.

I'd probably try and argue George was still hurt based on how he looked in the playoffs. Because if he was 100% in the bubble he looks like a guy who is a fringe starter.

You’re talking about one playoff series. Judging by the video you posted, one game in a playoff series. Sure, he looked like shit in that game 7. Kawhi Leonard also looked like shit in that game. He just had one of the most amazing playoff runs in NBA history with Toronto, just last season. He’s also a top five NBA player, easily.

You can’t judge a player off of just one playoff, one playoff series, or in this case, one playoff game. That’s fine, if that’s what you wanna do, though.

I feel like you're arguing disingenuously just to protect your roster or something. Did you watch George in the playoffs this year? Against the Mavs he had games where he shot:

4-17
3-16
3-14
6-19

Against the Nuggets he had games of:

6-13
7-19
4-10
8-18
9-21
4-16 (!!!)

In 2019 when he got bounced in the first round against Portland? Games of:

8-24
3-16 (!!!)
8-21

In 2018 when he got bounced by the Jazz in the first round?

6-21
7-16
9-21
2-16 (!!!)

In 2017 when he got swept in the first round by the Cavs?

9-19
10-28
5-21 (!!!) in game 4

Paul George's career playoff performance in series closing games:

2-8
3-7
4-10
2-10
9-15
2-9
11-23
4-11
8-18
8-18
5-21
2-16
14-20 (finally!)
6-19
4-16

Find someone else out there who has consistently been as trash as PG in the playoffs when it really matters. You won't. He's a shrinking violet and a loser. But keep trying to compare him to champions and guys you can build a franchise around like Kawhi and Durant...

Had to go with Quest. I love Murray & SGA but to pick them at 7 & 18 was a little homer-ish. I’m assuming Durant comes back basically healthy and if so, he Westbrook, Tatum & Herro will have the monopoly on titles for the first few years.

Reactions: quest4#9
I feel like you're arguing disingenuously just to protect your roster or something. Did you watch George in the playoffs this year? Against the Mavs he had games where he shot:

4-17
3-16
3-14
6-19

Against the Nuggets he had games of:

6-13
7-19
4-10
8-18
9-21
4-16 (!!!)

In 2019 when he got bounced in the first round against Portland? Games of:

8-24
3-16 (!!!)
8-21

In 2018 when he got bounced by the Jazz in the first round?

6-21
7-16
9-21
2-16 (!!!)

In 2017 when he got swept in the first round by the Cavs?

9-19
10-28
5-21 (!!!) in game 4

Paul George's career playoff performance in series closing games:

2-8
3-7
4-10
2-10
9-15
2-9
11-23
4-11
8-18
8-18
5-21
2-16
14-20 (finally!)
6-19
4-16

Find someone else out there who has consistently been as trash as PG in the playoffs when it really matters. You won't. He's a shrinking violet and a loser. But keep trying to compare him to champions and guys you can build a franchise around like Kawhi and Durant...
Nope. I took George because he’s a very good defensive player. I took several players because they can play on that side of the floor. I built my roster around Murray, not George.

Reactions: quest4#9
Had to go with Quest. I love Murray & SGA but to pick them at 7 & 18 was a little homer-ish. I’m assuming Durant comes back basically healthy and if so, he Westbrook, Tatum & Herro will have the monopoly on titles for the first few years.
I was going with youth over older guys (due to the 7 year window) and guys that could play both ends. That was my mindset throughout the entire draft. I was also trying to stay away from guys that have been recently injured or are injury prone. There’s just no way to tell how they’re gonna come back from said injury.

If I knew neither age nor injuries were going to be taken into account, I would’ve selected my team completely different than I did. I really like Levert’s game and almost picked him. Only reason I didn’t was because it seems like he’s constantly injured. I would’ve selected several different All Stars if I knew their injuries would hold zero weight.

Just looking at our top 2 players

Durant >Murray
Tatum >Shai

I love the Cats much as anyone, but I’m taking Durant and Tatum over Murray Shai.

Especially taking Tatum over Shai

Just don’t think Paul George is very good anymore. I think Durant may very well be the best player in the league next year.

I respect the opinions here, but I just think any GM in the league takes Durant over Murray, and takes Tatum over Shai if they had to pick tomorrow.

Reactions: It'saDoneDeal
Hold up a minute. Now I’ve been smoking some real good stuff this evening. All week really, to be quite honest. If I’m not mistaken, though, I only have eleven players. I’ve been meaning to count them for a couple days, have just been real busy around the house. 😉

I was thinking I had only made eleven picks. Sure enough, eleven players. I’m confused as to how this transpired. Working midnights, all my days run together. Hmmm....😜
Just don’t think Paul George is very good anymore. I think Durant may very well be the best player in the league next year.

I respect the opinions here, but I just think any GM in the league takes Durant over Murray, and takes Tatum over Shai if they had to pick tomorrow.

Even with the Achilles? Not many upper echelon stars are the same coming back from that injury. KD may be the only one with a chance due to his height+length but still worrisome.

It’s a fair and valid concern. I just think he’s a different type of player than a John wall with that injury. Doesn’t seem to rely on athleticism and speed as much as being a 7 footer who can shoot over people. If there’s a type of player that can come back strong after that injury it’s him.

Even with the Achilles? Not many upper echelon stars are the same coming back from that injury. KD may be the only one with a chance due to his height+length but still worrisome.

Reactions: DraftCat
#1. Kevin Durant (SF – Brooklyn Nets)
Kevin Durant will be the best player coming into the 2021 season.

Yes, Kevin Durant is coming off of a career ending injury for some (torn achilles), but still, even with it being unknown how the injury will affect Durant, I want KD taking the last shot if I’m trying to win the championship.

Fully healthy, Kevin Durant is the best scorer that the NBA may have ever seen. He is truly an unstoppable offensive scoring machine with virtually no flaws in his offensive game.

He’s a seven-footer who can handle the ball like a guard, shoot it better than 90% of the league, and score from anywhere on the floor.

Going into 2021, Durant should be fully recovered from his injury and ready to take the league by storm with Kyrie.

With LeBron winning another Championship, the chatter about LeBron being the best in the league will motivate Durant to dominate with the Nets.

It may be a bold take, but I’ve seen what Durant can do on the basketball floor. Nobody else in the NBA can takeover a game quite like he can. Kevin Durant will be the best player in the NBA next season.

Did a google search and he was ranked #1 coming into 2021. Know it’s just a ranking, but having possibly the top player in the league is a big deal for the next several years.

No, it’s not as bad of an injury for KD as it would be a guy like Wall. I totally agree with that. OTOH, an Achilles injury is going to affect any type of player, no matter who it is IMO.

The notion that KD will be the best player in the league next season is a very bold take. I would be willing to bet good money that he won’t be better than any of: AD, Giannis, Lebron or Kawhi next season. In any event, he won’t be the best player in the league next year IMO.

Durant >Murray
Tatum >Shai

I love the Cats much as anyone, but I’m taking Durant and Tatum over Murray Shai.

Maybe so but I have one hellacious defensive unit. Almost every single one of my players are very good on the defensive end. My starters, especially. Even Murray has improved leaps and bounds on that side of the ball.

Durant >Murray
Tatum >Shai

“Especially taking Tatum over Shai” looks good on the surface. To be honest, their offensive stats aren’t THAT different.

Tatum averaged 34.3 minutes, 23.4 points, 7.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists and shot 45.0% this past season. Now, SGA averaged 34.7 minutes, 19.0 points, 5.9 rebounds, 3.3 assists and shot 47.1% this past season. I would argue that SGA is a better defender than Tatum right now. At worst, he’s just as good on defense.

Tatum is about four months older than SGA, but has one more year experience in the league than SGA. Tatum’s numbers weren’t nearly as good the year prior, despite only averaging 3 less minutes per game. Neither were SGA’s numbers, but he averaged around 9 less minutes per game and was a rookie.

Within another year or two, I could totally see SGA closing the gap even further on Tatum. I know both players will improve through the years, but the difference between the two isn’t astronomical at this juncture of their careers. No matter what people will have you believe.

I would also make the argument that Tatum plays on a better team that does SGA. Make no mistake, SGA will be a superstar in the league, barring a serious injury. His trajectory is as good as any young player in the league right now.

Love SGA, but I really don’t think anyone outside of us Cats fans would consider taking him over Tatum, who is probably already a top 10 NBA player.

Tatum is a true franchise player, and SGA has a long way to go to reach that.

Last edited:
Gotta be honest with you I’m not sure the Heat would trade Herro for SGA. Curious what others think on that, but I’m not sure I’d make that trade. His future looks bright.

Love SGA, but I really don’t think anyone outside of us Cats fans would consider taking him over Tatum, who is probably already a top 10 NBA player.

I just posted their stats. Numbers don’t lie. Truth is, SGA isn’t all that far behind Tatum. I think people are just enamored with guys that are pure scorers. Nevermind whether they can play defense or anything else. As long as they score, they’re considered stars.

Don’t get me wrong, Tatum is a great player. He’s better than SGA right now. Light years better than SGA? Meh, I don’t think so. Tatum got lucky and went to a great franchise in Boston. SGA initially went to the Clippers, then to OKC. No comparison in those franchises. If you swapped the two players’ teams, I think the narrative would be much different. JMO.

Last edited:

Top 10?! I’m not so sure about all that. A top 10 player, with the supporting cast he had in Boston, doesn’t lose to Miami this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT