ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Oats on UK

Oats would kill it at U.K. there’s little doubt in that. It worries me that he signed that deal knowing Calipari is where he is in regards to safety. It’s almost like some of these coaches have been told to go ahead and sign deals Calipari isn’t going anywhere right now.

Oats is probably going to say all the right things, he’d like this job soon.

I heard Nate Oats on the Paul Finebaum show. He said that Kentucky is one of the top programs in the country and he really wanted to see them in the Sweet 16. Get him on the phone, Mitch!!!
WOW, ground breaking stuff, that Nate Oats sure is a genius. BUT, he just signed an extension so IF Mitch was to get him on the phone, what would he say ? "Good luck in your game against UNC", or maybe "after the beating we put on you and showed you mercy and ONLY winning by 22, why would you like to see UK in the Sweet 16 ? " I truly would be interested in what Mitch would say to him, because he damn sure wouldn't offer him the job at UK, he just reupped and his buyout also went up. Yes, lets get the coach who JUST signed an extension on the phone.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Wanted Cal in Sweet 16 so he wouldn’t be fired and he wouldn’t have to kick himself for taking a big extension

Reactions: catzcan
$33 million to buy out Cal, $18 million to buyout Oats and then the contract. Not happening.
So you are telling me that if Oats decides to leave Alabama, UK has to pay his buyout? I thought Alabama had to pay that if they were to fire him. Maybe I’m just misinformed.

Edit:
His contract does indeed say that. I never knew contracts work like that.

So you are telling me that if Oats decides to leave Alabama, UK has to pay his buyout? I thought Alabama had to pay that if they were to fire him. Maybe I’m just misinformed.
If he is fired for performance reasons he gets $18 million (unlikely)

If he leaves for another job, the school hiring pays $18 million to the school he is departing.

That’s the way it usually works. But it doesn’t have to. I haven’t read the contract.

For example, UK get paid nothing if Cal leaves on his own accord the hiring school owes us zero.

Reactions: UKat1
Oats would kill it at U.K. there’s little doubt in that. It worries me that he signed that deal knowing Calipari is where he is in regards to safety. It’s almost like some of these coaches have been told to go ahead and sign deals Calipari isn’t going anywhere right now.

he will be replacing Tom Izzo when he retires

Reactions: catzcan
Oats is respectful of our history as should every up and comer that wants a title should be. UK basketball is bigger than any individual. If you are fortunate enough to be chosen to be coach here chances are you will win a Natty. 5 have done it and that will continue on Cal be damned. We were before him, was with him and will be after he’s gone….. Cal wants everyone to believe he is UK basketball when in reality UK basketball defined him. UK 7-Cal 1.

Or he sees ehere
Oats is respectful of our history as should every up and comer that wants a title should be. UK basketball is bigger than any individual. If you are fortunate enough to be chosen to be coach here chances are you will win a Natty. 5 have done it and that will continue on Cal be damned. We were before him, was with him and will be after he’s gone….. Cal wants everyone to believe he is UK basketball when in reality UK basketball defined him. UK 7-Cal 1.
I'll take the 8 and not care how it happened.
He needs to shape up, but I'm still a fan of championships regardless of who is and or was coaching.

Is this the same guy who was lambasted for playing a player who was involved in a murder? That guy? You want him? Seriously?

Reactions: d2atTech
Some may take this as an insult but to me, just shows he gets it. Kentucky basketball fans are like Alabama football fans, we just haven’t had as much success lately

Reactions: UKat1
Oh the irony of firing a guy who helped turn UK into a football school being replaced by a guy doing much better than Cal in basketball at a football school.

I do tire of ALL the "Cal is bad" posts that are sooo redundant. That was a good one! Kudos to you!

Hindsight my friend.
Im not saying right or wrong. Im just saying how badly he was trashed here last year. This website is so wishy washy with who their favorite is now. As soon as someone gets hot or makes a big run they become the next favorite. All kinds of accolades are thrown on them like they are definitely the best person for the job. Idk who will become the next coach or when, but whoever it is they will become a punching bag within 1-2 years if they haven’t taken us to the promise land. College basketball isn’t the same anymore. It doesn’t matter that you are a “blue blood”. It’s all about the $$$ and parity and KEEPING PLAYERS as long as you can. And yes, that last point is my biggest want.

Im not saying right or wrong. Im just saying how badly he was trashed here last year. This website is so wishy washy with who their favorite is now. As soon as someone gets hot or makes a big run they become the next favorite. All kinds of accolades are thrown on them like they are definitely the best person for the job. Idk who will become the next coach or when, but whoever it is they will become a punching bag within 1-2 years if they haven’t taken us to the promise land. College basketball isn’t the same anymore. It doesn’t matter that you are a “blue blood”. It’s all about the $$$ and parity and KEEPING PLAYERS as long as you can. And yes, that last point is my biggest want.
I’ve been wanting Oats for 3 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT