ADVERTISEMENT

Oats theory

SemperFiCat

All-American
Mar 2, 2009
Central Indy
So, if I'm Mitch, and I'm trying to steal a coach out from under the noses of some of the wealthiest boosters in the country, I'd probably orchestrate a giant misdirection campaign using the three likeliest candidates and keep throwing things around. Been awfully quiet on the Oats front since his initial generic PR release. It's a long shot, but food for thought.

So, if I'm Mitch, and I'm trying to steal a coach out from under the noses of some of the wealthiest boosters in the country, I'd probably orchestrate a giant misdirection campaign using the three likeliest candidates and keep throwing things around. Been awfully quiet on the Oats front since his initial generic PR release. It's a long shot, but food for thought.
Barney is more concerned about his reputation in the conference as a nice guy before uk bb. That’s a fact. The guy doesn’t have what it takes to bring a winner. Second coaching search he led and both times he’s gone to south texas for a hire. What a loser mentality

It has been, very strange that no smoke has come out. Honestly at this point I don’t know if anyone really knows what is happening behind the scenes. It may take a little time, which on one hand sucks because we need a roster but on the other, this hire is huge.

I don’t think people respect Oates. He looks flashy but his teams are usually not that well coached. The one thing he has done well is evaluate players in the portal to fit his system. He is getting better but he likely could end up like any other SEC coach that makes a run and then fizzles out.

Someone on another post said Oats is simply not able to leave Bama due to four daughters and an ongoing separation from his wife.

Someone on another post said Oats is simply not able to leave Bama due to four daughters and an ongoing separation from his wife.
With the $ he makes he will be able to do whatever he wants, he can divorce her and let her have custody or bring his daughters with him. He can afford to fly to see them, he will have time off thru the year to spend time with them. He can have a Nanny and put them in the best schools or daycare that he needs.

Reactions: d2atTech
Dude you made it on message board geniuses on Twitter earlier today.

With the $ he makes he will be able to do whatever he wants, he can divorce her and let her have custody or bring his daughters with him. He can afford to fly to see them, he will have time off thru the year to spend time with them. He can have a Nanny and put them in the best schools or daycare that he needs.
Well I’ve been through something similar and it’s just not always that easy.

Well I’ve been through something similar and it’s just not always that easy.
I know it can be hard I don’t doubt that at all. My parents are blue collar people and divorced when I was 10. I remember how hard that was. I couldn’t imagine divorcing my wife and we don’t even have kids to split up. But 10M a year makes it a lot easier than a dude pulling 50k trying to pay for lawyers, and child support, and all that comes along with it.

I think Oats learned he wasn’t one of the top candidates and figured he wouldn’t get the job. So he (wisely) put out that statement. But if we don’t get Hurley, Donovan, or Drew, and UK has to widen their search, I suspect Oats gets interested again real quickly.

I think Oats learned he wasn’t one of the top candidates and figured he wouldn’t get the job. So he (wisely) put out that statement. But if we don’t get Hurley, Donovan, or Drew, and UK has to widen their search, I suspect Oats gets interested again real quickly.
Rick Barnes used to turn down every job in America even if he wasn't offered. Makes $ sense in the end.

Reactions: MathUK
Rick Barnes used to turn down every job in America even if he wasn't offered. Makes $ sense in the end.
Speaking of ol’ Barnes I think it’s very telling he hasn’t publicly withdrawn his name from consideration yet. Any word on this?

Reactions: MathUK
I don’t think people respect Oates. He looks flashy but his teams are usually not that well coached. The one thing he has done well is evaluate players in the portal to fit his system. He is getting better but he likely could end up like any other SEC coach that makes a run and then fizzles out.
I think the way he handled the Brandon Miller fiasco proved that Oats could be less than what is needed at UK

Reactions: TriCountyCat
You obviously have never gone thru a divorce in Alabama. In Alabama you are not allowed to relocate your children out of the state that the divorce was filed in. And really you think he will get custody of his kids instead of his wife? lol

All I can do is just SMH at some of these posts on this board.

You obviously have never gone thru a divorce in Alabama. In Alabama you are not allowed to relocate your children out of the state that the divorce was filed in. And really you think he will get custody of his kids instead of his wife? lol

All I can do is just SMH at some of these posts on this board.
No dipshit I can’t say I’ve ever been thru a divorce in Alabama but seeing as how he makes millions a year I could easily see him win custody yeah. Now go on back to your football board thinking about Auburn again.

He’s not smart enough.

What a moron. Just because I lived in Alabama doesn’t mean I’m a Bama fan. And money doesn’t change the law. You must live in your mom’s basement. lol

Love this theory, however, Barney can’t manage his way out of a paper bag much less managing a down low coaching search

I wonder if yhe whole Brandon Miller/murder thing is standing in the way. Kind of feels like Oats isn't even on the same tier of candidates as Scott Drew. And that he'd be the phone call if we really swing and miss.

There’s a Twitter account that showcases bad or embarrassing takes found on sports message boards. You made it for your post about not wanting Hurley
Meh. I'm ok with that. I have a feeling I'll be on the right side of not selling out for a mentally unstable person. I'm comfortable being on record about it.

This thread got off track.

What if, because Oats came out with the statement that he isn’t going anywhere before UK even contacted him (or anybody else), Mitch just said “welp, suit yourself” and isn’t even bothering to pursue him.

On the one hand I’m pissed at Mitch because I think Oats is a better hire for us than Drew. But on the other hand I kind of feel like if you want to take your hat out of the ring for the UK job before the ring even opens, well… that’s your loss buddy.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
What is it about an $18M buyout do yall refuse to understand?

UK would have to hand Bama $18M. Cash. Now. Only THEN to have to pay Oats 8-11M per yr.

It really isn't freaking complicated or deep web conspiracy why Oats isn't a candidate and name is never mentioned

MILLION
BUYOUT

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT