ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Oats is the guy

I always laugh when people say this. It does matter because Mitch can't just snap his fingers and conjure up $50 million. Of course it's easy for fans to say pay the buyout, but that might not be the actual reality we're working with here.
But it was sure easy for Mitch to construct and sign such a one sided contract. Once again, he creates the problem and it is his job to fix the mess HE created.

The thing that worries me is that every year that goes by, it will be harder to pry him away as he becomes more entrenched there. Also, every year that goes by, the more the shine comes off the program. If we were going to do it, this year would be the best time.

Reactions: cathouse
Wait and see. He will not leave for Kentucky. The days of Kentucky being the program is over.
And I don't want to here about the extension Oats signed with Alabama. Cal signed an extension with Memphis the year before he came to Kentucky.

Not to mention, in 5 years at Bama his resume is better than Bruce Pearl's is in 10 years at Auburn

Pearl has his 1 final four there but no other advancements past the 2nd rd

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
It will definitely be something to look for after nexr season, but idk if we have the $$$$ to buy out cal then also oats new contract. But definitely a name on our list and should be near the top of actual coaches that are a real possibility.

I'm not ready to move on from the decision to keep Cal. Almost wonder if he didn't make sure things went fast (going on the talk show Monday, etc) to make sure Barnhart didn't have time to think/see what happened this weekend. Also heard Wright might have at least floated a money level he was comfortable with (50/5 yrs), too. Not over it, and not sure we should be.

Feels like we're still getting tricked, and not sure the people with power realize what kind of operator they're dealing with (except maybe Joe Craft, who I can't blame for not wanting to give Cal a penny).

I don’t get the Oats love.
1 F4
2 other S16
There are several coaches with that.

I’m not saying he’s a “no”, but he’s got to be 1 of several in that 2nd tier at best. Him, Drew, Lloyd, Smart, and more.
All in less than 10 years as a head coach at the D-1 level and winning big within our own conference. Won the SEC Championship and SEC Tournament in both 2021 & 2023.

You’re kidding right????

I'm with the guy you quoted. More open minded than I was but Oats just made a FF on the back of a 29% shooter going 5/8 from three.

My issue with him is not between the ears, seems to be a mastermind...but they shot nearly 40 3's tonight. Until tonight that was what happened to his teams every single season over and over again....shoot a ton of 3's and get nothing.

I'm torn on him. Nothing left for him to prove. JMHO. Congrats on the FF. Not hating just debating.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT