ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Oats is the guy

Imagine making the Final Four without a 44% 3pt shooter playing a single game in the Sweet 16/Elite 8 and not making any excuses for missing him going into the games? Refreshing. I was told by some Cal nut hugger during the season that Wrightsell's absence didn't matter and Oats can't carry Cal's jock, etc....and I saw more coaching from Oats this NCAA run then Cal's had in a decade.

For instance--Grant Nelson didn't sit rest of 1st Half when he had 2 fouls at the under 16 mark --he knew he needed him to stay in the game--and not only did that happen-he had lead going into the Half. He also didn't panic when a bench guy missed a shot badly (Stevenson) on his first wide open attempt-he stuck with him and the guy banged 5 3pt makes and was X-factor in the game. He was a '24 class member Oats got to reclassify and he used him even when he had struggles throughout the year. Didn't bury him because he didn't come in at a pace he expected.

The same team UK put 117 on and Cal's openly mocked HOW they play in terms of style--Oats called his team out for their awful defense and how they were "cheating the game" and an "embarrassment to defensive integrity". Started 1st Rd running a train and humiliating Mr. "Revi-VILLE" at Charleston. Then they had to fight/grit their way over Grand Canyon when it was a road game atmosphere in Spokane, and we all saw the toughness/fight against UNC down 1 just over 30 secs and then tonight down 13 early with Nelson in foul trouble. He adjusted/coached.

Excuses were there to be made. They fought/dug in and competed and are in the school's 1st Final Four.

Meanwhile Cal's doing odd TV interviews with his "boss" in name--and telling everyone they don't need to change much--and everything this offseason is off to the same type of start. We're seeing this program fall further behind everyone right now it's sickening.
All we can do is not go to games, don’t support this. It’s the only thing as fans we can do. We tried to make our voices heard and it didn’t matter.

Imagine making the Final Four without a 44% 3pt shooter playing a single game in the Sweet 16/Elite 8 and not making any excuses for missing him going into the games? Refreshing. I was told by some Cal nut hugger during the season that Wrightsell's absence didn't matter and Oats can't carry Cal's jock, etc....and I saw more coaching from Oats this NCAA run then Cal's had in a decade.

For instance--Grant Nelson didn't sit rest of 1st Half when he had 2 fouls at the under 16 mark --he knew he needed him to stay in the game--and not only did that happen-he had lead going into the Half. He also didn't panic when a bench guy missed a shot badly (Stevenson) on his first wide open attempt-he stuck with him and the guy banged 5 3pt makes and was X-factor in the game. He was a '24 class member Oats got to reclassify and he used him even when he had struggles throughout the year. Didn't bury him because he didn't come in at a pace he expected.

The same team UK put 117 on and Cal's openly mocked HOW they play in terms of style--Oats called his team out for their awful defense and how they were "cheating the game" and an "embarrassment to defensive integrity". Started 1st Rd running a train and humiliating Mr. "Revi-VILLE" at Charleston. Then they had to fight/grit their way over Grand Canyon when it was a road game atmosphere in Spokane, and we all saw the toughness/fight against UNC down 1 just over 30 secs and then tonight down 13 early with Nelson in foul trouble. He adjusted/coached.

Excuses were there to be made. They fought/dug in and competed and are in the school's 1st Final Four.

Meanwhile Cal's doing odd TV interviews with his "boss" in name--and telling everyone they don't need to change much--and everything this offseason is off to the same type of start. We're seeing this program fall further behind everyone right now it's sickening.

Agree. Absolutely sickening.

And when we roll Cal out of here next year, take your ass with him Mitch.

Agree. Absolutely sickening.

And when we roll Cal out of here next year, take your ass with him Mitch.
Just imagining cal in his post game presser after we lose to duke by 30....

''We're the youngest team in the country. I'm playing 6 freshmen, and so, its a process, enjoy the ride''.

''Thought Jayden did some good things today, 3/12, 5 rebounds, 1 block. But the kid's 17, he's the youngest center in the country, so. Y'know''.

''We're the youngest team in the country. I'm playing 6 freshmen, and so, its a process, enjoy the ride''.

''Thought Jayden did some good things today, 3/12, 5 rebounds, 1 block. But the kid's 17, he's the youngest center in the country, so. Y'know''.

Yeah, we've heard that on repeat for about 15 seasons now. Nobody cared when he was winning. He's just not the same dude. He went from Coach Cal, "I can't hide you" to Coach Grandpa Cal, "stealing hearts" or whatever the stupid quote was. He's a fraud now.

He should be the Cal replacement. He’s insufferable but he can be our insufferable coach. I think he’s one of the few that will now have the pedigree and the attitude to do this job.
He took a shot a UNC that upset their fanbase after beating them. When ratface was still around he took a shot at him too. Perfect setup. I've been saying it for awhile, it's gotta be Oats!

Yeah, we've heard that on repeat for about 15 seasons now. Nobody cared when he was winning. He's just not the same dude. He went from Coach Cal, "I can't hide you" to Coach Grandpa Cal, "stealing hearts" or whatever the stupid quote was. He's a fraud now.
He's gotten so soft. But in certain aspects, it's always been there. Dude had the 2015 team watching a movie instead of watching film. He said it was because he wanted them to be loose. But if you ask me? Those guys could sense Cal getting tight and nervous. And it rubbed off. Hell, they had them down 4 with their hands on their hips with a little under 4 to go. With no game film. That's how good that team was. And Cal went stall ball and let them rest and win.

I'll never get over that loss.

He's such a fraud. Coach blue balls.

Reactions: Mike-D
He's gotten so soft. But in certain respects, it's always been there. Dude had the 2015 team watching a movie instead of watching film. He said it was because he wanted them to be loose. But if you ask me? Those guys could sense Cal getting tight and nervous. And it rubbed off. Hell, they had them down 4 with their hands on their hips with a little under 4 to go. With no game film. That's how good that team was. And Cal went stall ball and let them rest and win.

I'll never get over that loss.

He's such a fraud. Coach blue balls.

Yeap. He will forever be remembered as a fraud. Proves his critics correctly each season. Build your # of players in the NBA resume though, Cal. Do you.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Isn’t it weird how Cal can find another gear when he really personally hates someone/has a grudge (Pitino all those years, Pearl and Oats this year with the hot seat pressure mounting), and yet puckers up so bad when it really matters that he needs historically good teams to save him from himself?

No particular comment here other than how strange that psychology is.

We have only been working on Offense- Defense the past month haven’t had the time. I like my team and we will tweak some things in practice.

Last edited:
He's coached 5 years at a Major Conference Program. Go look at the graphics Aaron Torres put up regarding the CHAMPIONSHIPS and Postseason success he's having at Alabama.

Again--in Alabama History, Oats is now responsible for:

30% of their Sweet 16 Appearances
50% of their Elite 8's
Their Lone Final Four Appearance

This run reminds of what Cal did in '11 after the '10 team was supposed to be the one--Oats team last year was supposed to be it--now he's in Final Four with some major talent on the way-and he got a Portal guy already while they were in the NCAA Tournament--shooter from Pepperdine. Aiden Sherrell is going to be an elite CBB player and Derrion Reid is as tough as it gets. He could return Sears, Nelson, and Pringle as well--doubt they all return but he could get them all back in terms of eligibility.
When Oates coached Buffalo we played them in 2017 and I felt that dude could end up a prospect to coach at UK. He seems to carry himself with inner arrogance, plays an exciting style and wins. This year was the window though to fix our program. I don’t think bama wins a title but if they did they will lock him up and no chance. After next Saturday was our shot. It really is disgusting what Barney has done to us and perpetuated the lie there are no coaches to replace cal. Who would think alabama and Tennessee would take over the conference in basketball?

Can all of you this site just shut up and be positive about Kentucky. We can do it. Cal needs you and so do our players.
Screw cal. He’s his own man. We needed him and he put it on cruise control making himself very wealthy on our dime. I’m extremely disappointed in bbn to have any take like this and disappointed no heat is being applied. That interview for instance was the worse softball crap. I mean ask some serious questions. UK basketball isn’t about positivity it’s about accountability and high expectations. Cal deserves no good will he blew it. One title. Two tournament misses, a losing season and two losses as a 2 and 3 seed. That’s his legacy at Uk. He could get to another final four and it won’t mean squat. And btw he’s let UCONN own him head to head and have duke two titles after being upset in the tourney. It’s is a Bona fide cluster fug and how anyone can defend cal or call for some sort of unity after cal has alienated former players and fans for years and years totally lacks any decent level of perspective

Reactions: Girthang
Imo matt Jones needs to get back on the air and rip cal rip Barney. Someone with a voice has to keep going on those guys. No let up. It’s entirely possible that at some point our roster looks like it’s lacking so much they could still dump cal. I don’t think it will happen but if local media carved Barney up after his stupid presser well decisions are changed all the time.

Can all of you this site just shut up and be positive about Kentucky. We can do it. Cal needs you and so do our players.
Sick and damn tired of people like you telling others how they should be a fan. Real Kentucky fans don't accept the mediocrity with the current state of the UK Basketball program and not about to. Based on your post history all you do is hurl insults while wagging your finger to scold Kentucky fans who are sick of this shit which makes you nothing more than a hypocrite. @hgredmond You won't be laughing when Oats is no longer your coach. Seriously, no elite level coach is going to make Alabama their destination job. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who is just content where they are after reaching a certain level like a Few or Scott Drew.

Last edited:
When Oates coached Buffalo we played them in 2017 and I felt that dude could end up a prospect to coach at UK. He seems to carry himself with inner arrogance, plays an exciting style and wins. This year was the window though to fix our program. I don’t think bama wins a title but if they did they will lock him up and no chance. After next Saturday was our shot. It really is disgusting what Barney has done to us and perpetuated the lie there are no coaches to replace cal. Who would think alabama and Tennessee would take over the conference in basketball?
I don't trust our AD to do the work required to vet potential up and comers to find the next Hurley at RI & Oats at Buffalo. A search committee of people who understand the Kentucky Basketball tradition need to be involved for the hiring process whenever the job comes up regardless if Mitch is still here or some other new AD that we know nothing about coming to stake their name to this coaching hire.

Last edited:
Why do you keep posting this nonsense?
How about Ben Howland UCLA?
Rick Pitino?
Tubby Smith?
Steve Fisher??

How many more you need to convince you otherwise??
Fired
NBA-Fired from UL
Best move for both parties
Fired

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: cathouse
If Cal is ever moved on from, Oats is the target.

No he's not a flavor of the week like all the other names thrown around. His setback was he didn't have any big stage wins past his good mid major resume and competitive but not elite seasons at Bama. In the past week he got a signature win against a #1 seed unc and now a final four.

He can recruit, hes young, and he's got the personality to handle the maniacs here.

Wait a second, weren’t YOU one of the guys that was bashing the hell out of those of us who said Oats might be the guy years ago and weren’t you saying he WAS a flavor of the week? Maybe stop talking so much and let the ones who understood it a long time ago explain it to, you. The old cal
Cult isn’t fooling anybody hope yall realize that.
IMG-1560.png

No college coach has ever left a team for another team after winning a championship

Don’t think that matters with Oats even if he did win it. He’s not staying at Alabama basketball. It’s really not a good job at all; far different from something like Florida basketball even. He’s already basically admitted this is the job he’s eyeballing. Fairly easy to read from how he speaks toward the fanbase here.

You can’t really go off of that anyway. Schools like Alabama have never won a title so we don’t know what a coach would do there. I have no doubts Oats could slip in and win one at Alabama then crawl to Lexington.

Hey I like Oats, but let's be real, his path was Charleston, Grand Canyon, an overrated UNC and Clemson lol. Hey it opened up and they took advantage.
Were Oakland & Grand Canyon anymore overrated than Oakland? Like Oates or not he had his team ready and they took care of business. Guess you could say they proved they were built for March by their actions unlike Cals car salesman words with no results.

Wait a second, weren’t YOU one of the guys that was bashing the hell out of those of us who said Oats might be the guy years ago and weren’t you saying he WAS a flavor of the week? Maybe stop talking so much and let the ones who understood it a long time ago explain it to, you. The old cal
Cult isn’t fooling anybody hope yall realize that.
IMG-1560.png

Don’t think that matters with Oats even if he did win it. He’s not staying at Alabama basketball. It’s really not a good job at all; far different from something like Florida basketball even. He’s already basically admitted this is the job he’s eyeballing. Fairly easy to read from how he speaks toward the fanbase here.

You can’t really go off of that anyway. Schools like Alabama have never won a title so we don’t know what a coach would do there. I have no doubts Oats could slip in and win one at Alabama then crawl to Lexington.
Oats signed a contract that has a 15 million dollar buyout owed to Bama if he leaves in the first 2 years of it, and it drops by about 5 million in years 3 and 4. He obviously isn't planning to leave Bama that soon.

Oats signed a contract that has a 15 million dollar buyout owed to Bama if he leaves in the first 2 years of it, and it drops by about 5 million in years 3 and 4. He obviously isn't planning to leave Bama that soon.

Yes he will. That shit doesnt mean anything at all. And if Kentucky wants Oats we will take Oats, every fanbase has to go through this reality. Memphis fans all thought no way Calipari would leave. He had a top ranked class, a new contract with a buyout, said he wanted to stay. A few days later gone. I was at college there during that time. You should have heard the certainty they had. And Memphis basketball > Alabama basketball.

It’s amazing to me how little people understand about how this actually works. In all reality, oats probably singed the deal because his agent told him Calipari isn’t going anywhere for a year or two. Oats is eyeballing this job as we speak. Nobody is going to stay at Alabama basketball when the bigger jobs are calling like UK.

And don’t let UK fool you, they can easily pay a settlement amount to Calipari (which he’ll have to eventually take) buy Oats out and pay for him. The issue this time was they weren’t ready to do it not that the money wasn’t there.

• Haha
Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
The issue for these coaches is going to be: Why would I EVER come to UK when I can win where I’m at.
The longer Mitch allows Cal and the program to wallow in mediocrity and the more upset the fans become, the greater that issue will be for some coaches.
Fired
NBA-Fired from UL
Best move for both parties
Fired
So did they all quit coaching, or did they all take another coaching job somewhere else AFTER they won a NC??

And even you have to admit that Tubby left of his own free will. He could have dug his heels in and stayed until his contract was up, like Cal is doing now. But Tubby is smarter than Cal. Tubby KNEW his time HERE was done. But that didn't take his NC away from him.

He LEFT UK for another school. Exactly what you said had NEVER happened before. And there are others.

Why do you keep posting this nonsense?
How about Ben Howland UCLA?
Rick Pitino?
Tubby Smith?
Steve Fisher??

How many more you need to convince you otherwise??
The statistic is based on a coach taking another college coaching job voluntarily.
Ben Howland never won a title- excluded
Rick left for the NBA- excluded
Tubby Smith got pressured to leave for a lesser position- excluded
Steve Fisher was fired because of an off court scandal- excluded
None of those coaches left for another better COLLEGE coaching job voluntary. I forget where I read it, but that was the basis of the stat.
That being said, we need to root for Oats to lose.

Reactions: cathouse
The statistic is based on a coach taking another college coaching job voluntarily.
Ben Howland never won a title- excluded
Rick left for the NBA- excluded
Tubby Smith got pressured to leave for a lesser position- excluded
Steve Fisher was fired because of an off court scandal- excluded
None of those coaches left for another better COLLEGE coaching job voluntary. I forget where I read it, but that was the basis of the stat.
That being said, we need to root for Oats to lose.
Jim Harrick. I got him and Howland mixed up. 1995 .

Harrick was fired also.

Reactions: hoggwildcat
Yes he will. That shit doesnt mean anything at all. And if Kentucky wants Oats we will take Oats, every fanbase has to go through this reality. Memphis fans all thought no way Calipari would leave. He had a top ranked class, a new contract with a buyout, said he wanted to stay. A few days later gone. I was at college there during that time. You should have heard the certainty they had. And Memphis basketball > Alabama basketball.

It’s amazing to me how little people understand about how this actually works. In all reality, oats probably singed the deal because his agent told him Calipari isn’t going anywhere for a year or two. Oats is eyeballing this job as we speak. Nobody is going to stay at Alabama basketball when the bigger jobs are calling like UK.

And don’t let UK fool you, they can easily pay a settlement amount to Calipari (which he’ll have to eventually take) buy Oats out and pay for him. The issue this time was they weren’t ready to do it not that the money wasn’t there.
Hmm...interesting. what was Cal's buyout at Memphis when we hired him?

Isn't Memphis also a mid-major that paid pretty mediocre salary?

Ohh, he is eyeballing UK? How so? What's he said?

Ohhh... right, right...UK is flush with cash and just didn't want to pay it right now. That makes perfect and rational sense!

Since this is obviously common, what other teams have historically paid that high of a buyout to the school of a coach they are hiring?

Problem with taking an Oats or a Hurley after they may win a title is that the likelihood of ever doing it again decreases dramatically. Factor in doing at another school, and it becomes nearly historically impossible.

Is Rick the only one that’s ever *accomplished* this even though it got stripped?

Best case scenario to land Oats imo, is that Alabama loses next game.

Hmm...interesting. what was Cal's buyout at Memphis when we hired him?

Isn't Memphis also a mid-major that paid pretty mediocre salary?

Ohh, he is eyeballing UK? How so? What's he said?

Ohhh... right, right...UK is flush with cash and just didn't want to pay it right now. That makes perfect and rational sense!

Since this is obviously common, what other teams have historically paid that high of a buyout to the school of a coach they are hiring?

Memphis offered Calipari MORE to stay he turned it down. Calipari had a buyout of 200K and just signed a deal but that’s not what the issue was. Fred Smith offered Calipari a lot more than anything we were offering. So you simply don’t know what you’re talking about.

Do you understand modern revenue steams? Do you understand 18 million to this university isn’t jack rip? Apparently not. And it doesn’t have to be next year, the season after that the buyout is peanuts.

Oats can be at UK in 24 months easily, more than easily.

Wait a minute, this is Leadbelly. lol. Not arguing another point.

Last edited:
Reactions: kywildcat41086

Memphis offered Calipari MORE to stay he turned it down. Calipari had a buyout of 200K and just signed a deal but that’s not what the issue was. Fred Smith offered Calipari a lot more than anything we were offering. So you simply don’t know what you’re talking about.

Do you understand modern revenue steams? Do you understand 18 million to this university isn’t jack rip? Apparently not. And it doesn’t have to be next year, the season after that the buyout is peanuts.

And Oats can be at UK in 24 months easily, more than easily.
Ohh, okay. So what was the offer? Can you provide evidence of it?

Lol, if you say so, but I don't think you're going to find a college that agrees.

After next season Oats buyout is still 15 million. It stays the same for 2 years before dropping. Cal's goes down by 6.5 million. So Cal will still be owed a little over 27 million and Oats would still owe 15 million to leave Bama. So, 42 million in just HC buyouts. Lol, yea...that's not happening in the next few years. Hell, based off what you're saying, they could have easily had him now. Yet, UK never had the money to pay Cal, let alone Oats buyout too!

In 2 years, Oats' buyout drops to the 10 million range. Cal's will be around 21 million. So it’s still over 30 million combined in HC buyouts. Again, not happening.

Can you show us any schools who have spent anywhere near this to change basketball coaches? Otherwise, it looks more like it's you that isn't familiar with what they are talking about.

Sick and damn tired of people like you telling others how they should be a fan. Real Kentucky fans don't accept the mediocrity with the current state of the UK Basketball program and not about to. Based on your post history all you do is hurl insults while wagging your finger to scold Kentucky fans who are sick of this shit which makes you nothing more than a hypocrite. @hgredmond You won't be laughing when Oats is no longer your coach. Seriously, no elite level coach is going to make Alabama their destination job. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who is just content where they are after reaching a certain level like a Few or Scott Drew.

How does he “not seem like a guy who is content where he is”. Specifically?

I would love Oats but I’m not sure we’re currently in a position to poke fun at Bama and assume we could just rip him away.

Oh bullshit. Calipari doesn’t care whether I support him. He hates the majority of the fans.

Didn’t realize Bama had NINE new players and 3 new assistant coaches.
Makes Calipari look like a fool.

The crazy thing about this new era is cal should be absolutely killing it. Noone had more experience, or was better at completely starting from scratch every year. But he is tied to freshman instead of embracing the portal.

The only people he wants in the portal are those willing to accept a greatly reduced role and help his freshmen. It should be the exact opposite.

That doesn’t even really make sense.

I was just curious as to why you thought that. Or rather if you could simply explain your position.

You can’t. Its faulty logic is all.

I certainly didn’t intend to trigger you.
Ever since you've been back here, you have been nothing but smug so that had a lot to do with the response you get. Tried to mock another one of my posts last night twice within this thread now. I simply stated my opinion. You know, like everyone else does on this board. Just because it 'doesn't even really make sense' to you doesn't make my point invalid. Clearly not the only one here that believes he has the drive to win big with an exciting style of play and is hungry. Cal at the same age had Memphis rolling but this is Kentucky. The prestige of coaching here is not the same as Alabama or Memphis. You weren't 'just curious.' You just wanted to mock another post with your condescension and proceeded to prove my point with your 3rd sentence here.

Last edited:
Ever since you've been back here, you have been nothing but smug so that had a lot to do with the response you get. Tried to mock another one of my posts last night twice within this thread now. I simply stated my opinion. You know, like everyone else does on this board. Just because it 'doesn't even really make sense' to you doesn't make my point invalid. Clearly not the only one here that believes he has the drive to win big with an exciting style of play and is hungry. Cal at the same age had Memphis rolling but this is Kentucky. The prestige of coaching here is not the same as Alabama or Memphis. You weren't 'just curious.' You just wanted to mock another post with your condescension and proceeded to prove my point with your 3rd sentence here.

I can assure you I wasn’t mocking.

You stated that Oats insinuates he isn’t content at Alabama. Just interested in your thoughts as to why and how you came to that conclusion.

No need to actually answer. We can move on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT