ADVERTISEMENT

Muschamp

Caveman Catfan

All-American
Sep 1, 2002
USCjr is playing young and having an awful season to date. Muschamp has a really good looking committed class to this point. When the season is over, does he land a big class or does it fall apart?

Reactions: jtw13
SC will hold onto their class, Muschamp is a good recruiter and SC has a lot of PT to offer.

USCjr has the 27th rated class (UK is 29th) with 27 commits and an average 3.04 star ratings. That isn't awful but it isn't lights out by any means. Muschamp needs his 3-4 years but as an outsider...I still don't get why he was offered that job.

I see a USC team that is just like a less talented UF team when he was coaching them. Sort of bumbling on offense and not crisp. They play solid D. But nothing overwhelming at all.

Muschamp and playing awful go hand in hand. He's a defensive guy but his offense has always been offensive

Muschamp is going to fail. If you can't get it done at Florida with their talent, you aren't going to get it done at USCjr. The man is coordinator material, not head coach.

I don't dispute that, as it makes sense, but I see guys like Franklin and Strong, both of whom proved themselves as HCs in lesser programs, struggling to keep their heads above water at traditional powers where winning should be easier.

Muschamp essentially brought the exact same staff to Columbia that failed with him in Gainesville. It makes no sense. I do not see him succeeding long term, but the questions is what is success at South Carolina? Before Spurrier, it wasn't much more than UK. Then Spurrier starting winning 8-10, which probably isn't going to happen anymore.

Reactions: midniter
I don't dispute that, as it makes sense, but I see guys like Franklin and Strong, both of whom proved themselves as HCs in lesser programs, struggling to keep their heads above water at traditional powers where winning should be easier.

Because it takes a good bit of luck to rebuild a program quickly. Or you can fire quick and a guy like Franklin will recruit the talent and make the new guy look great.

Why the hell would USC hire this idiot coach?

Because about 4 others had turned them down. They thought they had Smart, Herman, they will tell you Rich Rod wasn't offered, but he wouldn't have made the trip to interview just for kicks and giggles, Fuentes was also someone they were interested in. Their AD had a 2 month head start on hiring a new coach and names were falling off the list, panic hire. Muschamp was not going to be at AU this season, he was going to be our DC and USC hired him to be head coach. The biggest thing he has going for him, and for the most part his staff, they are all pretty good recruiters. Bryan McClendon was our best recruiter after Pruitt, but he is not a good WR coach, They had a couple WR back from injuries against us yesterday, but they are a bad offensive team. Even with Eason being awful yesterday we still had 3 backs average over 6 ypc against them. But to his credit, he doesn't act like the lunatic he did on the sideline at UF, maybe he doesn't feel the pressure he felt at UF. But with Clemson being as hot as they are right now, they will struggle recruiting instate kids and will have to depend on getting kids from Georgia, NC and FL, Muschamp might have a few connections from his time in Texas, but I don't think he will get any of their top kids.

Reactions: NoviG8r
But to his credit, he doesn't act like the lunatic he did on the sideline at UF, ...
fbgn0rzdbdcxyryjt1zf.jpg

I don't agree that winning is easier at a traditional power. Winning at each level gets more difficult imo. You step up the tradition you certainly step up the recruiting, but you also step up the competition, the expectations, the pressure, and the off the field obligations. It pays more because it's more difficult. Look how many winners have been given those opportunities and failed. Also a long list of folks who have won 2/3 of their games at lower levels, stepped to the big time job, won 2/3 of their games there and been fired because that's not good enough.

USCjr has the 27th rated class (UK is 29th) with 27 commits and an average 3.04 star ratings. That isn't awful but it isn't lights out by any means. Muschamp needs his 3-4 years but as an outsider...I still don't get why he was offered that job.

I see a USC team that is just like a less talented UF team when he was coaching them. Sort of bumbling on offense and not crisp. They play solid D. But nothing overwhelming at all.
My feelings exactly. Historically, SC has been a football clone of UK, i.e., great fan support for uninspired football. But SC somehow managed to get 2 HOF coaches back to back and reverse that trend of mediocrity. However, they now appear to be headed to pre-Holtz football status. I'm sure Muschamp was not their top of the list guy but I can somewhat understand the hire. But I am shocked Muschamp brought in some of his old failed FL staff (OC ???). I have no idea how he rationalized that.

I was jealous of the way SC entered the conference and quickly assumed the place UK has long coveted (i.e., behind FL, TN, GA) but the Muschamp hire appears to give UK another shot at that spot.

Peace

Mushchamp won't last long at South Carolina. Don't get the hire at all like many. While he is a really good recruiter and knows defense, he's a maniac that doesn't know a thing about offense.

Same can be said for Mark Stoops.
Very true...but at least we hired Stoops as a hot coordinator with no resume of failure. USCjr openly hired their guy after he failed pretty badly at UF and really hasn't had time to show change to make it palatable to hire him again (he was only out of UF 1 year before USC hired him).

I truly don't get why they hired him.

Which makes the fact our idiot AD could've had 2 even more maddening... (Pirate/Harley boy)
If I could like this a million times. FOR ONCE, we had 2 PROVEN WINNERS wiling to come here. Just pick one and we'll be good. And we pass on both. We're not in a position to do stupid ish like that, which is why MB needs to go. Long story short.

Muschamp can recruit and put together a solid defense, but he needs to get with the times on offense.

Hopefully he doesn't take 3 and half years to figure out that he needs to make some staff, philosophy, and strategy changes.

There will be a lot of movement in the off season once the carousel takes off, plenty of quality staffs and coordinators will be up for grabs. He needs to go after some offensive minds.

Thank you for pointing out that fact.

Saw a stat on here a few weeks back - Franklin was something like 0-20 vs opponents who ended the season ranked at Vandy. He basically took advantage of a down SECE.

Bobby Johnson was also a pretty decent recruiter and left him some talent to work with from the beginning.

SC will hold onto their class, Muschamp is a good recruiter and SC has a lot of PT to offer.

We will have to see at the end of the season but if he has some elite recruits they will be recruited by others. Wins help, losses don't.

We will have to see at the end of the season but if he has some elite recruits they will be recruited by others. Wins help, losses don't.
Not going to disagree with your points, it just seems like we are the only one that cannot hold on to recruits following a bad season.

Not going to disagree with your points, it just seems like we are the only one that cannot hold on to recruits following a bad season.

Come on, heck Alabama got one stolen last year by GA so it happens to everyone not just us.

USCjr is playing young and having an awful season to date. Muschamp has a really good looking committed class to this point. When the season is over, does he land a big class or does it fall apart?

Is this a USC Jr. board? At the present time, I'm more concerned about Stoops recruiting and producing a winner then Muskrat's staying and recruiting.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Saw a stat on here a few weeks back - Franklin was something like 0-20 vs opponents who ended the season ranked at Vandy. He basically took advantage of a down SECE.

Bobby Johnson was also a pretty decent recruiter and left him some talent to work with from the beginning.
Well, that's OK. UK had the chance to do the same and has an even better chance this year with 2 very winnable SEC games yet to play.

Without question he has not yet seen the success at PSU that he had at Vandy but I am wondering if PSU will ever return to the heights it once achieved. JMO

Peace

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT