ADVERTISEMENT

Moving Forward

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
This is what I was told after the game….

“Moving forward Edwards will come off the bench, they used a “injury” for the reason last night but that’s not the case. They didn’t want to hurt his reputation with him being benched because of his play lately”

I think this is quite obvious that Edwards has lost his starting spot.

Reactions: Greatestalltime

“Moving forward Edwards will come off the bench, they used a “injury” for the reason last night but that’s not the case. They didn’t want to hurt his reputation with him being benched because of his play lately”

Works for me. I wish Edwards the best but he needs to come off the bench. Cal said he got hurt in an actual scrimmage (said he rarely does actual scrimmages in practice and only referenced the Randle team as last time he actually did a true scrimmage in practice) but wouldn't surprise me at all if the quote was more just a cover for Edwards.

Reactions: Greatestalltime

Fine by me. Hope he continues to give effort and work to improve. If the light bulb goes off he can be a valuable reserve asset.

No one with a brain believed the “hurt leg” excuse for not starting. Crap like this is why Cal has zero credibility anytime he opens his mouth.
Wagner needs to learn to go right and use his right hand or he’s looking at a lot more of what we’ve seen lately blocked shots and defenders waiting at the rim. I can’t believe the staff hasn’t emphasized this with him. He’s one dimensional at best.

Reactions: BigKari
I suspect he did injure his knee, and it made it a good excuse to not start him. But since he did play, probably not too serious.

In post game news conference, Calipari said they scrimmaged 2 days last week. Said he rarely does that in season because of potential for injury.. Then said that Edwards injured his knee, on the 2nd scrimmage. Had it checked out, and nothing structurally wrong (my words), but he would be limited for a bit.

He mentioned 3 guys who are working outside of practice to really improve their game. Burks, and Edwards were 2 of the 3. Said Edwards had been in the gym at 11pm last week working to improve his game.

Reactions: Jazzycat
More than that, I think he's going to lose about all of his minutes. It was Thiero's 1st game back. They eased him back in. Rob was out. While Thiero is ideally a 4, we're probably going to play him a fair amount at the 3 spot out of necessity. We'll probably also do a lot more 3 guard lineups.

I suspect he did injure his knee, and it made it a good excuse to not start him. But since he did play, probably not too serious.

In post game news conference, Calipari said they scrimmaged 2 days last week. Said he rarely does that in season because of potential for injury.. Then said that Edwards injured his knee, on the 2nd scrimmage. Had it checked out, and nothing structurally wrong (my words), but he would be limited for a bit.

He mentioned 3 guys who are working outside of practice to really improve their game. Burks, and Edwards were 2 of the 3. Said Edwards had been in the gym at 11pm last week working to improve his game.
There has to be a reason JE and AB were ranked so high, I would love to see them get things worked out.

No one with a brain believed the “hurt leg” excuse for not starting. Crap like this is why Cal has zero credibility anytime he opens his mouth.
Wagner needs to learn to go right and use his right hand or he’s looking at a lot more of what we’ve seen lately blocked shots and defenders waiting at the rim. I can’t believe the staff hasn’t emphasized this with him. He’s one dimensional at best.
This is one thing that is so frustrating about Cal. He spends so much time and energy dancing around issues and inventing cover stories that it takes away from actual coaching. Cal still knows enough basketball to coach a decent game but intrigue and basketball politics get in the way and take up so much of his thought process that actual coaching becomes a secondary priority

Last edited:
Reactions: ck-2 and crestcat
There has to be a reason JE and AB were ranked so high, I would love to see them get things worked out.
They dominated in High School is why, their games didn’t translate to college not yet at least. There’s still time to improve but this isn’t the first time we have seen top 10 recruits underperforming

Makes sense, and it's good for the team.

Now the question is, how does Edwards handle this? I still think there's a chance he and his camp decide to shut it down and prep for the draft, like Jalen Johnson did. Gonna be hard for him to build any draft stock when he's getting 10 minutes off the bench.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT