ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch on KSR," It's about the name on the FRONT of the jersey'!!!

WELL MITCH!! WITH THAT COMMENT YOU REALLY HAVE SECURED THAT UK BASKETBALL WILL GO DOWN THE TUBES, NO HIGH SCHOOL OR PORTAL PLAYER WANTS TO PLAY FOR THE NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY ANYMORE, ITS ABOUT MONEY. SHOW THEM THE MONEY AND THEN THEY MAY COME PLAY FOR YOU
Facts. This is a new era.

Cream Abdul-Jabaar is in the portal.

He'd be an outstanding fit at UK.
No, no he would not. He is SLOW as molasses. After watching Pope's offense video, there's no way this dude would be able to move fast enough to work those zoom picks. Even that big clumsy dude Pope had was a mess on the court. Yeah he's 6'11" and can shoot threes, but that's about all he could do. But alas, that's the best Pope can get at a place like BYU where you can't wear high water pants, drink coffee or have facial hair...

Name on the front.

Well, as much as we old timers wish kids cared about that name, we know full well that we are living in a completely different era. The only way the name "KENTUCKY" draws kids is if 1) they are top talent from Kentucky like Perry, Sheppard, etc., or 2) Our NIL is through the roof.

Very few top talent kids today care about the school name or history. If that were the case, the portal would be rarely used, especially kids from historically great programs.
Despite what it looks like, the vast majority of players DONT transfer...

Just saying.

No player at UConn is signing a 7 figure NIL deal, and I don't think they care.

No, no he would not. He is SLOW as molasses. After watching Pope's offense video, there's no way this dude would be able to move fast enough to work those zoom picks. Even that big clumsy dude Pope had was a mess on the court. Yeah he's 6'11" and can shoot threes, but that's about all he could do. But alas, that's the best Pope can get at a place like BYU where you can't wear high water pants, drink coffee or have facial hair...
He went to st louis

WELL MITCH!! WITH THAT COMMENT YOU REALLY HAVE SECURED THAT UK BASKETBALL WILL GO DOWN THE TUBES, NO HIGH SCHOOL OR PORTAL PLAYER WANTS TO PLAY FOR THE NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY ANYMORE, ITS ABOUT MONEY. SHOW THEM THE MONEY AND THEN THEY MAY COME PLAY FOR YOU
Time will soon tell about that, eh?

Seems to me the Cal lovers are out in full force and refuse to give Mark a fair chance.
Man, peoples' hesitance about a completely unproven coach has zero to do with someone's love or hate for Calipari.

Cal is gone. Let's just drop the Cal huggers/haters BS. It's tired, old and immature. Not to mention, totally unrelated to the Pope situation.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, your caps lock is on.

Wow, how inspirational. Haven’t heard that one before. Mitch really came prepared for this hard hitting interview.

Reactions: taydaddy
Before I get all excited about this statement, I need to see what kind of recruits are calling Mark Pope.

I'm sure 100 kids called Billy Clyde when he was announced, and we got a host of mediocrity. Not saying that's what Pope will get - just saying I need to see these recruits before I get all giddy or supportive.
weren't most of Billy Clyde's recuits 8th graders? Just funning with ya. But true :)

MB has been waiting a long while to say that. Not only was that to Cal, but to us. We also lost our way. That was a reminder to us. Hey guys it's not about class rankings or NBA drafts anymore. We tried that, and it worked briefly due to exceptional generational talent, but it had no staying power or long-term payoff.

We totally abandoned name on front of jersey for winning off seasons with highly ranked recruits, draft nights, popular culture relevance.

I remember when Cal was hot and could've had any NBA or college job everyone wanted that massive deal for him. Feared a Pitino repeat of being on the precipice of multiple FF and title runs then leaving.

Talking about Pope being able to recruit.

A DIG back at Cal!!!! As mad as I've been at him lately, I REALLY liked that comment!!!
Yeah, he did well in that interview with Matt Jones. And that line was a big part of it. Calipari was about himself and the NBA. Kentucky was a tool for him and never really was his focus. He was about the name on the back of the jersey, not the front. We all know that. He told us so multiple times. He just repeated it to Arkansas fans when he was introduced. It will be nice to have a coach who loved (and still loves) having Kentucky across his chest.

MB said that Pope told him that two of popes former team players were coming with him
Would assume one is Robinson? A 6-6 wing that shot around 35% from the three. Said to be a second round draft pick and the 5th or 6th best in the country at his position. Who would the other be if he is one?

Last edited:
KENTUCKY is bigger than John Calipari. Mark Pope knows this, Mitch Barnhart knows this, the fans know this. The only person who didn't seem to get that was John Calipari. He's out now and we will get back to the tradition of Kentucky basketball and be in the conversation as the University of Kentucky, not an NBA prep-stop where John Calipari benefits, the players benefit, and the fans are left dumbfounded year-in and year-out.

If we lose with Pope, at least we lose knowing he is doing everything to spotlight the University of Kentucky and not himself.

Let's goooo!

Good post but we still go after the best players. I will never ding Cal for getting us some of the best recruiting classes of all-time at UK. Cal just wasn't a good X/O coach.

Before I get all excited about this statement, I need to see what kind of recruits are calling Mark Pope.

I'm sure 100 kids called Billy Clyde when he was announced, and we got a host of mediocrity. Not saying that's what Pope will get - just saying I need to see these recruits before I get all giddy or supportive.
You do know the restrictions he had at BYU to recruit. It was very structured

Good post but we still go after the best players. I will never ding Cal for getting us some of the best recruiting classes of all-time at UK. Cal just wasn't a good X/O coach.
You don't have to stop getting the best players. You just have to get the best players who want to come to Kentucky because it's Kentucky, not the best players who come to Kentucky because it's the easiest way for them to get to the next stop.

Reactions: KFuqua

Name on back wasn't working. Everyone knew it including Cal, which is why he rolled to Arkansas. Couple of top classes, a great draft night will go over well down there temporarily.

Money for individuals isn't going to win consistently. It may have it's moments with exceptional talent, but overall we've seen the programs who have been advancing and making noise the last 6-7 years.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Already 4 million pledged confirmed by Mitch.

People don’t get this. These programs are machines. It elevates coaches. I wouldn’t have had the balls to do this but it’s entirely possible this is going to be a grand slam.

He’s already got recruits calling wanting to come that he couldn’t get to BYU.

I’m telling this fanbase I get the frustration but many of you have no idea how this actually works. We’ve got way more NIL coming now because Calipari is gone. They are gonna throw it at Pope because he’s such a great guy. The offense is going to be insane so

1. NIL not an issue now
2. The Kentucky brand
3. Top modern offense and Pitino style defense.

Trust me kids are going to play here. And then this guy CAN F’N COACH THEM.

-morg
Name on the front.

Well, as much as we old timers wish kids cared about that name, we know full well that we are living in a completely different era. The only way the name "KENTUCKY" draws kids is if 1) they are top talent from Kentucky like Perry, Sheppard, etc., or 2) Our NIL is through the roof.

Very few top talent kids today care about the school name or history. If that were the case, the portal would be rarely used, especially kids from historically great programs.
Well sir renewing my Kfund for the first time in nearly a decade.

Alexa Bliss Crying GIF by WWE

Already 4 million pledged confirmed by Mitch.

People don’t get this. These programs are machines. It elevates coaches. I wouldn’t have had the balls to do this but it’s entirely possible this is going to be a grand slam.

He’s already got recruits calling wanting to come that he couldn’t get to BYU.

I’m telling this fanbase I get the frustration but many of you have no idea how this actually works. We’ve got way more NIL coming now because Calipari is gone. They are gonna throw it at Pope because he’s such a great guy. The offense is going to be insane so

1. NIL not an issue now
2. The Kentucky brand
3. Top modern offense and Pitino style defense.

Trust me kids are going to play here. And then this guy CAN F’N COACH THEM.

-morg
4. Hired Butch Jones

Seems to me the Cal lovers are out in full force and refuse to give Mark a fair chance.
I was hoping with Cal gone we could get past the constant fighting and demonizing of fellow fans, but I guess that was a pipe dream. You hear it said a lot "no one hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans," I think we can add that Kentucky fans' biggest rival is other Kentucky fans. We seem to love hating each other as much or more than we love hating Duke or Tennessee, at least on this board.

I was hoping with Cal gone we could get past the constant fighting and demonizing of fellow fans, but I guess that was a pipe dream. You hear it said a lot "no one hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans," I think we can add that Kentucky fans' biggest rival is other Kentucky fans. We seem to love hating each other as much or more than we love hating Duke or Tennessee, at least on this board.
Isn't that what being family is all about?

It's just like a crazy, Kentucky family Thanksgiving year-round on this message board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT