ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch on KSR," It's about the name on the FRONT of the jersey'!!!

Already 4 million pledged confirmed by Mitch.

People don’t get this. These programs are machines. It elevates coaches. I wouldn’t have had the balls to do this but it’s entirely possible this is going to be a grand slam.

He’s already got recruits calling wanting to come that he couldn’t get to BYU.

I’m telling this fanbase I get the frustration but many of you have no idea how this actually works. We’ve got way more NIL coming now because Calipari is gone. They are gonna throw it at Pope because he’s such a great guy. The offense is going to be insane so

1. NIL not an issue now
2. The Kentucky brand
3. Top modern offense and Pitino style defense.

Trust me kids are going to play here. And then this guy CAN F’N COACH THEM.

-morg

Last edited:
KENTUCKY is bigger than John Calipari. Mark Pope knows this, Mitch Barnhart knows this, the fans know this. The only person who didn't seem to get that was John Calipari. He's out now and we will get back to the tradition of Kentucky basketball and be in the conversation as the University of Kentucky, not an NBA prep-stop where John Calipari benefits, the players benefit, and the fans are left dumbfounded year-in and year-out.

If we lose with Pope, at least we lose knowing he is doing everything to spotlight the University of Kentucky and not himself.

Let's goooo!

WELL MITCH!! WITH THAT COMMENT YOU REALLY HAVE SECURED THAT UK BASKETBALL WILL GO DOWN THE TUBES, NO HIGH SCHOOL OR PORTAL PLAYER WANTS TO PLAY FOR THE NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY ANYMORE, ITS ABOUT MONEY. SHOW THEM THE MONEY AND THEN THEY MAY COME PLAY FOR YOU
Nil and playing for the college on the front of your jersey are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Shame on them!!

Be mad at Mitch. Mark Pope deserves our support. It is extremely unfair to crush him before he has even started!!

As skeptical as I was, I want Mark Pope to be the MOST successful UK coach of all time!! He is one of us!!!
I am putting all my anger at Mitch for the poor hire.

WELL MITCH!! WITH THAT COMMENT YOU REALLY HAVE SECURED THAT UK BASKETBALL WILL GO DOWN THE TUBES, NO HIGH SCHOOL OR PORTAL PLAYER WANTS TO PLAY FOR THE NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY ANYMORE, ITS ABOUT MONEY. SHOW THEM THE MONEY AND THEN THEY MAY COME PLAY FOR YOU
dude GO FIND another team what a clown statement. Are you that freaking blind have you witnessed what has been going on the last 4 years, laughable

Get lost! Mitch said all the right things and if ALL players want is the money, then they can move on somewhere else. It's time Kentucky gets some kids that want to be a part of what has always made Kentucky special!

One thing is for sure, Mark Pope LOVES UK and will do EVERYTHING in his power to bring us back to the top!!!

What a REFRESHING change!!!
I understand the reservations that some fans might have with Pope. I share in some of them. Can he coach and recruit at the level Kentucky expects?

BUT...

The thing with hiring someone like Pope is that he's hungry to win. He's out there to prove to others that he CAN do this. That means something. Does that equate to success? Time will tell. But I think the hunger to win is something that can often be missing from more established coaches. We saw it with Calipari, he wasn't going to change for anything - this is the way he'd always done things and this was the way he was always going to do things. A hungry coach is more apt to recognize that maybe what he's doing isn't working and needs to change things up.

I'll support Coach Pope. I think he deserves the time and the opportunity to see what he can do. The grade of a good coach is being able to do more with less. And while he may not get all of the 5-star recruits, I had gotten sick and tired of seeing all of these 5-star recruits do nothing under Calipari. If Coach Pope can take 3 and 4 star recruits and make actual basketball players out of them, then that's a success.

Pope telling him he already has recruits calling him up saying I will go to Kentucky
Before I get all excited about this statement, I need to see what kind of recruits are calling Mark Pope.

I'm sure 100 kids called Billy Clyde when he was announced, and we got a host of mediocrity. Not saying that's what Pope will get - just saying I need to see these recruits before I get all giddy or supportive.

Talking about Pope being able to recruit.

A DIG back at Cal!!!! As mad as I've been at him lately, I REALLY liked that comment!!!
Name on the front.

Well, as much as we old timers wish kids cared about that name, we know full well that we are living in a completely different era. The only way the name "KENTUCKY" draws kids is if 1) they are top talent from Kentucky like Perry, Sheppard, etc., or 2) Our NIL is through the roof.

Very few top talent kids today care about the school name or history. If that were the case, the portal would be rarely used, especially kids from historically great programs.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT