ADVERTISEMENT

Missing sub touring the Titanic

Waivers are not always ironclad. However I think this one would be pretty solid when you combine it with the obvious assumptions of risk involved with going 13k feet deep in the ocean.

Moot either way as this company won't have any money to pay any judgment anyway.

Immensely poor decision by these folks. Can't imagine hearing about the playstation controller and thinking it was a good idea
With the info that has come out about the submersible and the corners these folks cut, I dont think those waivers will amount to anything. The company effectively hid very important information and concerns.

Looks like they went fast then.

This probably happened when contact was lost Sunday.
Yeah.

I personally didn't think that they'd just be sitting and waiting if they were alive. There would've been some sort of signal sent out of something...they would've been traced easier if they were alive. Some sort of distress would've been sent.

With the info that has come out about the submersible and the corners these folks cut, I dont think those waivers will amount to anything. The company effectively hid very important information and concerns.

I agree. However I think the common law assumption of risk will be enough, if they can ever figure out what happened. Going to the bottom of the ocean inherently bears certain risks. If the loss occurred because of one of those risks, then that is basically that.

Either way they will surely file bankruptcy so it won't matter

Did they find the bodies?

In theory, they’d be semi recognizable, correct? Just with their ribs and anywhere else that was filled with air crushed in?

I told my wife the other day that if I was a billionaire, I could imagine getting in shape and making an attempt at climbing Everest. To me, nothing compares than to be able to say, I climbed Everest.

Going down in a sub to see Titanic, not a chance.

But when you think about it, they both offer gruesome ways to die, both instant and prolonged agonizing deaths. The sub claustrophobia is the big difference maker for me.

Still think Everest is worth it though.

I told my wife the other day that if I was a billionaire, I could imagine getting in shape and making an attempt at climbing Everest. To me, nothing compares than to be able to say, I climbed Everest.

But when you think about it, they both offer gruesome ways to die, both instant and prolonged agonizing deaths. The sub claustrophobia is the big difference maker for me.

I spend a lot of time studying and dreaming about Everest, Ana Purna and K2. My age, health and money will preclude me from ever climbing the mountains but taking the treks to base camp.....maybe and I can afford that. It would be amazing to be right in front of K2 or at Everest Base Camp with the climbers waiting to test their abilities.

Last edited:

I think I would he content with blowing a few hundred grand on a beach vacation somewhere if I were a billionaire.

Everest is a joke anymore. Google lines at Everest. It’s literally hundreds of people paying 60-80K a piece and they wait in line like at a Disney park to be the next to take a ride except here you get about 5 seconds and a pic and then head back down.

It’s not even that difficult if you’ve prepared for it. There’s just sherpas dragging you and all the equipment up while you hold a rope and walk uphill.

Humans naturally want to push boundaries. We want to chase things.

Billionaires have everything. No financial worries. They can travel anywhere. They probably have no trouble getting the spouse they want. They can donate anywhere. Buy and build a dream home. They have no challenges.

So what else? They're going to try the impossible.
Here’s an idea, get in amazing shape, build muscle, do an Ironman, run a marathon, squat #500, etc. That’s testing the boundaries.

Hopping in a submersible you didn’t build and cruising to the bottom of the ocean isn’t a challenge or boundary to push, you didn’t do anything but pay money and sit in a tin can that blew up, congrats, dreams realized and whatnot.

Here’s an idea, get in amazing shape, build muscle, do an Ironman, run a marathon, squat #500, etc. That’s testing the boundaries.

Hopping in a submersible you didn’t build and cruising to the bottom of the ocean isn’t a challenge or boundary to push, you didn’t do anything but pay money and sit in a tin can that blew up, congrats, dreams realized and whatnot.
Is that Honduran resort still an option?

Honestly, at my age, I would set up a charitable foundation and let my daughter run it.

I would get a sea-going yacht of some sort. Nice, but nothing too extravagant, and go back on deployment.

However, I would not be standing three-section duty, and my port calls would be of a different caliber than all of my previous ones.

I think I would he content with blowing a few hundred grand on a beach vacation somewhere if I were a billionaire.
That might get boring but there are adventures to be had all over the world. Personally, I'd enjoy heading a foundation to give most of it away.

Reactions: augustaky1
Everest is a joke anymore. Google lines at Everest. It’s literally hundreds of people paying 60-80K a piece and they wait in line like at a Disney park to be the next to take a ride except here you get about 5 seconds and a pic and then head back down.

It’s not even that difficult if you’ve prepared for it. There’s just sherpas dragging you and all the equipment up while you hold a rope and walk uphill.
Lol, not quite. I think 17 died on Everest this year. While it isn't normally a big challenge for experienced mountaineers, its a big challenge for average people. Some highly skilled climbers died up there this year. Sherpas don't drag you. Every now and then you hear about a death zone rescue but usually, at that altitude, if you can't walk, you die.

K2 and Anapurna are far worse.

Reactions: roguemocha
Lol, not quite. I think 17 died on Everest this year. While it isn't normally a big challenge for experienced mountaineers, its a big challenge for average people. Some highly skilled climbers died up there this year. Sherpas don't drag you. Every now and then you hear about a death zone rescue but usually, at that altitude, if you can't walk, you die.

There are bodies still up there that people use as landmarks

Reactions: roguemocha
There are bodies still up there that people use as landmarks
Yep. It is much safer these days. The non-sherpa death rate is 1% but extra cold years like this one usually take a higher toll. They had a small miracle just below Hillary Step this year. A sherpa, later joined by a 2nd sherpa, literally carried a dying climber down to safety. That almost never happens.

So, do you think they knew it was getting ready to implode? Like did they hear metal creaking, see glass cracking, or did it just happen suddenly?

Last edited:
So, do you think they knew it was getting ready to implode? Like did they hear metal creaking, see glass cracking, or did it just happen suddenly?

Naval History Magazine: What Killed the Thresher?

"Complete destruction would occur in 1/20th of a second, too fast to be cognitively recognized by the men within the submarine."

If it takes a sub of that size 1/20th of a second to implode, then the people on the tiny Titan probably wouldn't have even realized there was a problem before they were dead.

What were the banging noises that were being heard though? If it wasn't from the submersible, are there still some people trapped on the Titanic?

The navy is now saying they picked up a sound about the same time communication was lost with the submersible that would be consistent with either an implosion or explosion.
I don’t understand why the Navy did not release that information on Sunday when they detected it. Did they not trust their equipment? It seems conclusive now that they knew the sub imploded based on the timing and their equipment’s sensors.

Side note: It’s very cool that the Navy could do that. Are you paying attention Russia/China?

Reactions: RunninRichie
The "let's fake our death" theory is interesting.. simply because I don't know why someone would want to do this. Closed quarters, immensely risky depths, looking at ship wreckage out a freaking port hole (when we already have endless documentaries and footage of the Titanic).. I just dontbsee how 5 people thought this was a good idea, especially when all your big billionaires are desperately trying to find ways to live LONGER nor shorter

I mean, they will find some wreckage but they won't find any DNA of these people with that amount of pressure collapsing in. They were turned into goop and their remains are now just part of the ocean.

Idk, seems kind of convenient.

I don’t understand why the Navy did not release that information on Sunday when they detected it. Did they not trust their equipment? It seems conclusive now that they knew the sub imploded based on the timing and their equipment’s sensors.

Side note: It’s very cool that the Navy could do that. Are you paying attention Russia/China?
They said they didn't want to ruin the search hopes of the families and rescuers.

2% off climbers died last year then, big whoop.
Let's pray that's what happened.
I don’t think praying after the fact works like that Hank.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT