ADVERTISEMENT

Ol' Pocket Lint thinks he's something at Memphis

Penny comes out of the cinema after watching a super hero movie, and thinks he's

Happy Snoop Dogg GIF

Last edited:
Must be in the water in Memphis man; both Cal and Penny think they're God's gift to basketball. Tubby must have drank Dasani or something while he was down there.

Memphis has finally realized they have no significance in the national scene due to the BIG12 slamming the door in their face 20 times. Hardgrave has pulled out all of the stops. Having the governor beg, using FEDEX and Lowe’s corporate to beg. Even going as far as the old CEO of JC Penny who is a Memphis grad to beg. In the end the commissioner of the Big12 said no thanks. They’d rather have BYU, West Virginia, UCF, and possibly a few more directional schools instead of hood university. It’s gotta suck tbh, but why would Memphis even fire Penny at this point. They’re stuck in mid major land for eternity and in the end will probably just decide to go to lower divisions to complete. At this point the Big12 would take WKU over Memphis.

At least a few people in their 40’s know who Penny Hardaway is. Thats more recognition than they can get any other way, regardless of how bad he sucks.

Lots of similarities between Hardaway and Prime. It’s not that I don’t think Prime is a lot more likable and higher profile he definitely is. I just see some similarities there.
I think Deion can actually coach a little too. I like the way he runs his program, he’s cocky but he preaches hard work and being the best, competition over everything.

I agree with Penny because Memphis won the NIT in 2021 so where else are they going to get a championship coach? The program will struggle without him for sure.

I think Deion can actually coach a little too. I like the way he runs his program, he’s cocky but he preaches hard work and being the best, competition over everything.
I think the jury is still out on Deion. They lost, what, their last 6 in a row? Won a couple by FGs? They had hype and talent, and were pretty close to as abysmal as they were the year before. IMO, Deion hasn't shown a darn thing but the gift to gab. He's fun, but I won't say he's even mediocre yet.

He’s probably right that they would get worse, but sounds like he’s been told that he better produce results this year or he’s done for.

Memphis fans have turned on Hardaway for the most part so yea he’s definitely trying to get out in front of the heat, but he’s well behind it. More or less now just taking up for himself because he’s not used to the local media coming after him which they are now. He was given free rein to run his mouth and do things “his way”. He’s alienated a lot of people and now his bosses are finally getting the message.

He’s become unavailable to everyone including some of his players. He just brought Mike Davis on staff, so with Stansbury (I believe he’s still there) that should be interesting. Which Penny doesn’t listen to his staff anyway so…

Penny, if you don’t know him personally, is likable. Once you get a taste of him he’ll run you out. Awful mouthy guy with little man syndrome for some reason. This will be his last year in Memphis barring some kind of miracle.

Also of note and missed in all of this. Why is Memphis not getting all of the top 5 players everyone assumed programs like theirs would get in NIL? Fred Smith (FEDEX) and the founder of Lowe’s? Where’s the big time recruits? Arkansas has Walmart and this football recruiting class is it? It’s a bunch of bull****. These guys aren’t throwing tons of money away on recruits that much is obvious.

What would motivate a coach to give a quote like that?

It just makes him look like an arrogant asshole. And it implicitly insults his own school by suggesting they’re nothing without him. It’s generally not wise to insult the institution that signs your paychecks.

Even if you think it, that’s the sort of thought best not said in public.

Memphis fans have turned on Hardaway for the most part so yea he’s definitely trying to get out in front of the heat, but he’s well behind it. More or less now just taking up for himself because he’s not used to the local media coming after him which they are now. He was given free rein to run his mouth and do things “his way”. He’s alienated a lot of people and now his bosses are finally getting the message.

He’s become unavailable to everyone including some of his players. He just brought Mike Davis on staff, so with Stansbury (I believe he’s still there) that should be interesting. Which Penny doesn’t listen to his staff anyway so…

Penny, if you don’t know him personally, is likable. Once you get a taste of him he’ll run you out. Awful mouthy guy with little man syndrome for some reason. This will be his last year in Memphis barring some kind of miracle.

Also of note and missed in all of this. Why is Memphis not getting all of the top 5 players everyone assumed programs like theirs would get in NIL? Fred Smith (FEDEX) and the founder of Lowe’s? Where’s the big time recruits? Arkansas has Walmart and this football recruiting class is it? It’s a bunch of bull****. These guys aren’t throwing tons of money away on recruits that much is obvious.
Walmart doesn't donate to Arkansas.

I think the jury is still out on Deion. They lost, what, their last 6 in a row? Won a couple by FGs? They had hype and talent, and were pretty close to as abysmal as they were the year before. IMO, Deion hasn't shown a darn thing but the gift to gab. He's fun, but I won't say he's even mediocre yet.
He’s at one of the worst P5 jobs out there, the fact he won any games with 50 new players is kinda inasane. He’s gonna need years to build them up to a bowl winner type team. The won like 1 game the past 2 or 3 years. I think he’s the perfect type coach that will appeal to talent these days mainly. Their offense was pretty solid but they had no line in either side and their defense was abysmal.

Nope. Neither does Jerry Jones really. I’ve noticed the programs that boast about alumni money the loudest are the ones wishing not getting.

For years Memphis has Fred Smith’d us to death. Still waiting on all of his promises. Cal still waiting on that private plane.
I'd like Penny more if this was the Memphis basketball theme song.

• Haha
Reactions: Killswitch24
He’s at one of the worst P5 jobs out there, the fact he won any games with 50 new players is kinda inasane. He’s gonna need years to build them up to a bowl winner type team. The won like 1 game the past 2 or 3 years. I think he’s the perfect type coach that will appeal to talent these days mainly. Their offense was pretty solid but they had no line in either side and their defense was abysmal.

Colorado went 4 and 8 n 2021 and then 4 and 2 in covid year. Deion doing better than 1 and 11 is cute but he has a ways to go to show he can coach a lick IMO. Right now he's a big talker.

In six seasons there he's only been to the Tournament twice and won one game. He did however win the NIT in 2021. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yes Memphis just doesn’t know what to do. Accept this is who they are, a fringe tournament team year to year who makes it every now and then, or one that should be in sweet 16’s minimum to call it a good year. The administration knows the answer to that question but the fans can’t accept it. So hang with pocket change and make them accept it, or fire that man and go through this crap all over again and buy yourself a couple of years during which time the fan base goes through the typical cycle of thinking the new hire is bringing back some Cal years.

Ol Pocket Lint thinks Memphis won't survive without him. Can we say DELUSIONAL?
Memphis has had 3 different head coaches Gene Bartow, Dana Kirk & John Calipari that reached The Final Four. Something that Penny Hardaway has never come close to doing & never will. Memphis has had & will have in the future much better coaches than Penny Hardaway.

Must be in the water in Memphis man; both Cal and Penny think they're God's gift to basketball. Tubby must have drank Dasani or something while he was down there.
If you have ever been to Memphis you could easily understand how anyone could think they are the cream of the crop in that town. It really wouldn't take much to be the king of Memphis....no offense to Elvis.

With the fans on his back, he's went the Mingione way and loaded up on transfers last year and this one. Last year, they had chemistry issues and all that stuff with Jordan Brown.

His transfers for this year are interesting. He has Tyrese Hunter from Texas, Haggerty from Tulsa (who I think will have a Jaxson Robinson type season), Rogers from Wichita St, Tyreek Smith from SMU ~ I think Smith was a really good frontcourt add. Then he has Cissa from Ole Miss and Dainja from Illinois, a couple talented big guys. I do think depth may be a problem, but it's probably better to lack depth than to have chemistry issues with a 14-man roster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT