ADVERTISEMENT

Miss St favored by 2.5 per FanDuel

I said this in another post as well. I love this game. State is decent at home but have lost 2 home games, they have an OK record in some ways similar to ours, and will get some home court whistles playing more physically. They are likely to match the type of early round teams we would face in the NCAA.

Now, we get to see what the reality of our team is after that phenomenal home performance against Bama. Was it one game, has Kentucky now figured it out, can we win despite Cal or will he insist on the wrong combinations and playing some too long, etc.?

I thought Bama opened as 2 point favorite somewhere and got bet to Kentucky being favored. Same thing might happen here but I don't think I want to be favored. Rather Cats play with a chip on their shoulder.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
Surprising to me , Vegas still doesnt believe in us . I'm a fan , easy fooled ( not really )

I'm probably the only person on the planet that plays Washington Capitals/UK basketball parlays. Capitals tonight on the puck line and UK tomorrow on the moneyline.

That's too be expected. We are 17th in Kenpom and they are 28th. We'd be favored at Rupp by 8.5, 3 pts on a neutral floor and +2.5 in Starkville. Nothing interesting about the line, bettors I'm sure will bet it down to +1 or a pickem by tip off.
These numbers don’t make sense. Miss St being at home is not worth 5.5 points

15-20 years ago it was closer to 3-5 pts. It's increased a small amount over the years to 4.5-6. Thatsbwhy when fans complain about our Road lines it blows my mind they aren't aware of that. 10-11 point swing between a Home line for a game and an away game.

Home court is 3 points.

So if they are favored at home vs us by 2, we'd be favored on a neutral court by 1 and at home we'd be a 4 pt favorite.

Given the fact that on Kenpom our efficiency margin is 20.65 (17th ranked) and there's is 18.16 (28th), this makes perfect sense.

Neutral court 20.65 - 18.16 = 2.49 times avg game of 68 possessions = 1.69...........close enough

FWIW when we played them early this season it also kinda ties in as we were a 5 point favorite at home that night.

Reactions: Montana81
Home court is 3 points.

So if they are favored at home vs us by 2, we'd be favored on a neutral court by 1 and at home we'd be a 4 pt favorite.

Given the fact that on Kenpom our efficiency margin is 20.65 (17th ranked) and there's is 18.16 (28th), this makes perfect sense.

Neutral court 20.65 - 18.16 = 2.49 times avg game of 68 possessions = 1.69...........close enough

FWIW when we played them early this season it also kinda ties in as we were a 5 point favorite at home that night.
Do a quick Google search. It isn't 3 points anymore. I run my own simulator, kenpom does them and so do other sites. It's 4-6 all year long.

Continue to argue all you want but if you actually keep track of it it's literally never 3 anymore. It was 15 years ago, not anymore. Carry on.

Home court is 3 points.

I don't believe it's a straight 3 points across the board for every team. I believe teams like say Kansas or Uconn have a bigger home court advantage than say Vanderbilt. And every sports gambling book or article I have read about the subject says the same thing. It's not 3 or 4 or 6 across the board. It's different for different teams.

Last edited:
I don't believe it's a straight 3 points across the board for every team. I believe teams like say Kansas or Uconn have a bigger home court advantage than say Vanderbilt. And every sports gambling book or article I have read about the subject says the same thing. It's not 3 or 4 or 6 across the board. It's different for different teams.
This is exactly right. It differs but it is rarely if ever 3 anymore.

Reactions: Emarc
Do a quick Google search. It isn't 3 points anymore. I run my own simulator, kenpom does them and so do other sites. It's 4-6 all year long.

Continue to argue all you want but if you actually keep track of it it's literally never 3 anymore. It was 15 years ago, not anymore. Carry on.

It's certainly still three points on Kenpom and he matches fairly consistently with Vegas.

All one has to do is look at the teams that UK plays twice (home/away) to see that split.

We are currently an 8 point underdog vs UT meaning we would have been a 2 point underdog vs UT at home. Sure enough the predicted score of that game was UT 80 UK 78.

This is true but there's not some drastic difference between the teams. The large majority of teams hover in that 2-4 point range.

If I look at the Home Court Ratings on KP only 12 teams are above 4.0. Only 13 teams are below 2.0. The other 337 teams are within 2-4.

Reactions: Blueheart32
The worst is Fairleigh Dickinson at .32 and the highest is Denver at 7.03.
I'm sure the numbers may vary a little depending on which site you look at.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
Depends if the refs let MSU get away with clutching, grabbing, and setting moving screens… AKA SEC Basketball.
At LSU the Tigers got 25 FTAs while we got 12. I'm expecting something as lopsided as this tomorrow night. 😐

The worst is Fairleigh Dickinson at .32 and the highest is Denver at 7.03.
I'm sure the numbers may vary a little depending on which site you look at.

Yeah that seems massively high and low lol.
But yeah I'd imagine different sites vary.

It would be interesting now to 1) look on KP and see what Denver is and 2) how well Denver's line match up with Vegas.

Surprising to me , Vegas still doesnt believe in us . I'm a fan , easy fooled ( not really )
It's more about Miss St being better than I think most feel here and the fact they are the home team.
It's more about the ratings. Kentucky is about 2.5 better than Miss State on kenpom then you add in about 4.5 for home court is how I had it Miss State by 2.

I know there is a way to look at kenpom and figure out how much your predicted to win or lose by but I don't have that. I think you have to pay for that feature.

The road whistle accounts for maybe 6 pts for UK opponents (Screwing Cal is their ultimate joy) maybe 8-10 pts if they decide to stick Reeves with 2 phantom first half fouls, UK will have to be 10 points better to win this game

It's more about the ratings. Kentucky is about 2.5 better than Miss State on kenpom then you add in about 4.5 for home court is how I had it Miss State by 2.

I know there is a way to look at kenpom and figure out how much your predicted to win or lose by but I don't have that. I think you have to pay for that feature.

Yeah right now Miss St 79 UK 77.

It's interesting that although we are favored in two of the four remaining games, KP actually predicts 3-1. I guess it's because the two favorites are like near certain wins with them being bad teams and us playing at Rupp. I guess he figures we'll win one of the 50/50 games between Miss St and/or UT. UT isn't really 50/50 so we might wanna grab this one lol

Don't see how. We have the 5 stars and HOF coach. They don't. Banking on getting out coached or out worked? Or maybe getting help from the refs? Why are they favored?

Reactions: ManitouDan
Don't see how. We have the 5 stars and HOF coach. They don't. Banking on getting out coached or out worked? Or maybe getting help from the refs? Why are they favored?
Yeah how many drift picks they have ? A team full ? whatever . I'll root but I lost trust in Cal years ago

Load up on the UK moneyline before a bunch of money starts coming in on the Cats.

We're winning tomorrow night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT