ADVERTISEMENT

Cats just a 5.5 favorite tomorrow

JFCats22

All-American
Feb 3, 2015
Lower than I thought it would be. Means Miss St would be favored if this was on the road.

It's probably at 156 cause Mississippi St plays really slow on offense.

UK could still get to 80+, but the limiting of possessions it would have to be a very good offensive performance.

It's probably at 156 cause Mississippi St plays really slow on offense.

UK could still get to 80+, but the limiting of possessions it would have to be a very good offensive performance.
You could be right, but I look at it like A & M scored 53 and 55 in the two games before they played us. Then they scored 97 (89 in regulation).

You could be right, but I look at it like A & M scored 53 and 55 in the two games before they played us. Then they scored 97 (89 in regulation).
Yep definitely and Texas A&M plays even slower than Miss St.

I don't bet but if I did I probably wouldn't go near this line IMO. Given our ability on offense and our lack of defense played, I could see the over easily but I have a feeling at home our defense will play much better and Miss St does rank 9th in defensive efficiency.

Yep definitely and Texas A&M plays even slower than Miss St.

I don't bet but if I did I probably wouldn't go near this line IMO. Given our ability on offense and our lack of defense played, I could see the over easily but I have a feeling at home our defense will play much better and Miss St does rank 9th in defensive efficiency.
I've ignored the spread and game totals the last few games and made out well just taking the over on UK point totals and player scoring props. So hard to predict what other teams will score, but we have enough data now to determine what we will typically do on offense.

For example, against A&M I hammered the over on UK points at 76.5, the over on Reed's pts at 9.5, and Dillie's over of 11.5 pts.

I've ignored the spread and game totals the last few games and made out well just taking the over on UK point totals and player scoring props. So hard to predict what other teams will score, but we have enough data now to determine what we will typically do on offense.

For example, against A&M I hammered the over on UK points at 76.5, the over on Reed's pts at 9.5, and Dillie's over of 11.5 pts.
I might have to look at that angle vs. the spread.

Tolu Smith is a tough matchup. Hubbarad is nearly a 39% shooter from deep. They've got some size. Unlike TAMU though they're guards aren't exactly known for their scoring outside of Hubbard. They are quick guards though and the Cats have struggled to guard those kind of of guards.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
That spread doesn’t exactly install a ton of confidence in a team I can’t quite throw my heart behind , I want us to do great , maybe reach a FF , but that’s such a small spread for a supposed top ten team at home against an also ran . I think it’s Vegas that doesn’t trust Cal .

Tolu Smith is a tough matchup. Hubbarad is nearly a 39% shooter from deep. They've got some size. Unlike TAMU though they're guards aren't exactly known for their scoring outside of Hubbard. They are quick guards though and the Cats have struggled to guard those kind of of guards.
These type guatds our Kryptonite. Worries me.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Tenn was favored -2.5 against MSU last week. I’d assume tenn would be favored -8.5 if they were at home, instead of on the road. Not quite that big of a difference. MSU is a solid team, and wouldn’t surprise me to see them in the top 25 to end the season.

That spread doesn’t exactly install a ton of confidence in a team I can’t quite throw my heart behind , I want us to do great , maybe reach a FF , but that’s such a small spread for a supposed top ten team at home against an also ran . I think it’s Vegas that doesn’t trust Cal .
They are 12-4 and just beat a 5th ranked UT

They are 12-4 and just beat a 5th ranked UT
I'm getting old , at 57 I define our program by standards of excellence . Like a Top 5 program , hopefully even worthy of being called the very best . If being a small favorite over a team that never does anything , has never ever done anything , and wont do anything this year gives you confidence in where we are then ok .. But I trust that Vegas usually gets it right .. We would be an underdog to them on the road and a very small fav on a neutral floor .. now think how many better teams there are than MSU. , and how many roadblocks will be there in March to get where we ALL should expect to get .. it just doesn't instill confidence. We dont have a 5 we can count on . Ugo is a project , Bradshaw is so very lacking in strength and experience . So we are not a complete team , then according to my eyes when the game gets tight we revert to one on one ball. I'll say it out loud , I dont like Wagners game , hes a very talented guy that can do a lot , he reminds me of Chris Paul without the experience and mid range game . And CP had trouble leading teams in the playoffs . We need a distributor , we have a scorer . We are 14-15 games in and not playing as a unit ... yet . We will get better but everyone else will too.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Yep!

Since we are a notch or two below Cal’s top teams this year, we can’t expect big spreads against solid teams.

Logging some large margins will be something we see if we start playing like a top 5 team.

Right. But even if we were top 5 level, the spread would still be around -7.5 or so.

Mississippi St. is basically the kind of team we would expect to play in the second round of the tournament.

Reactions: fatguy87
I'm getting old , at 57 I define our program by standards of excellence . Like a Top 5 program , hopefully even worthy of being called the very best . If being a small favorite over a team that never does anything , has never ever done anything , and wont do anything this year gives you confidence in where we are then ok .. But I trust that Vegas usually gets it right .. We would be an underdog to them on the road and a very small fav on a neutral floor .. now think how many better teams there are than MSU. , and how many roadblocks will be there in March to get where we ALL should expect to get .. it just doesn't instill confidence. We dont have a 5 we can count on . Ugo is a project , Bradshaw is so very lacking in strength and experience . So we are not a complete team , then according to my eyes when the game gets tight we revert to one on one ball. I'll say it out loud , I dont like Wagners game , hes a very talented guy that can do a lot , he reminds me of Chris Paul without the experience and mid range game . And CP had trouble leading teams in the playoffs . We need a distributor , we have a scorer . We are 14-15 games in and not playing as a unit ... yet . We will get better but everyone else will too.
I think our ability to improve is much higher than anyone else therefore our ceiling is much higher. With that said we still have to do it but this group is Uber competitive and works extremely hard. Inexperience is still a problem.

Reactions: ManitouDan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT