ADVERTISEMENT

Mertz looks like it’s about to be official

With all the proven talent out there Mertz (nothing against him) was never one of the QB's that people said wow when he entered the portal.

If he's the guy then he's the guy and I'll support him 100%. Stoops and staff are pretty good on picking talent so we'll just have to trust them.

Seems odd that we’d have a QB transfer here without an OC. If we were waiting a couple more days for the Coen announcement, seems like he’d just wait a couple days to announce.

I saw it earlier, so I went watched highlights, he does have good arm strength, but nothing pops off at you, it seems like he makes bad decisions a lot, I guess we will see if he actually come here
Strong arm n questionable decisions sounds familiar without the over hype.

a) I didnt know Wisc threw the ball. b) QB's from shitty little ten teams in general are not that impressive .
Everyone is all giddy about Will Livas's career here . It was pretty solid but taken into consideration he's a top ten draft pick .. at QB , and we lost to Vandy at home ? painful.

Good call. The timing seems off. Why now without a OC or QB coach? Or do we already have an OC and QB coach? Hmmm. Interesting. Love him or hate him, Matt Jones nailed this, which makes me think his reports about Coen are spot on too.

Two things about Mertz, he has good arm talent, something Coen puts a premium on. And , imo, he has good pocket presence. A lot better than Will. Makes gun slinger type mistakes with the ball, hopefully Coen can coach him out of that shit. But he does get the ball out on time though. So there’s that. We’ll see I guess.

Not ideal, but If this is Coen’s decision, I’m cool with it, if it’s Stoops, lol, let’s just say my opinion would be different.
Agree

Well he was a very high ranked QB in high school with offers from all of the Big Boys and i do me ALL of the Big Boys in college football. Georgia, Bama to name a few.

For some strange reason he picked a non QB college and now here we are. His career is at a crossroads and looks like he is taking the SEC, UK path to sort him out. His future may depend on who UK gets as OC. Can they bring his talent to the top? IDK

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!

I've weighed in on Mertz in different threads as we are very familiar with him here at Iowa.

I hope your new OC can turn the ship with him because Mertz has absolutely regressed each of the past two years. His game against us in November he was just brutal. Bad ass decision making particularly.

We sit around with several good QB's in the portal and then pull the trigger on one I would put several notches down from them. Just don't understand it. To be a good QB in the SEC you better be one of the best unless the program is content on being in the middle of the tier. OC and QB HAD to be can't misses for us to keep up where we have been in the pecking order. Now we will regress. There is no hiding the QB. HAS to be a good decision maker, mobile with a good arm. Anything short of that all of these other good and great players around him will NOT matter. Out of all the QB's and we settle.

Can he read the defense pre-snap and process action QUICK? Can he get rid of the ball quick? Can he make the easy throws? Can he make the difficult throws?

After 2 years with a QB who couldn’t see a wide open WR standing in front of him, I would like a QB that can do some of the fundamental things.

People act like Levis is some Superman based on his NFL projections. His stats aren’t amazing. His play wasn’t tops in the nation. His POTENTIAL just is. He hasn’t reached it yet.

I'm not a football Benny but it seems a 1.5-1 TD/TO ratio isn't good enough to take you to elite status in the SEC. We have to quit losing the TO battle every year or we will never take that next step.

Will wasn't much better than that. Especially when you count fumbles.

Watch this. And read the comments section.

It is tough to get excited about a junior QB who is labeled as a "bust", a "turnover waiting to happen", a "poor decision maker" and needs an OL that can hold a block for a full 30 seconds to give him time to make his reads and decide who to throw to".

He may have had a couple of good games during his career, but the overall body of work is very underwhelming. He's thrown almost as many interceptions as he has touchdowns. And he only completed about 57% of his passes this season. Even with Levis injured for half the season, he threw for several hundred more yards and has a 65%+ completion rate.

If this is the guy we end up trotting out at QB 1 next Fall, it is probably going to be a long season.

Well, piss. If that video is accurate, it answers my questions.

I mean, the overreacting here is just slightly hysterical? Yeah, Mertz didn't look goodba lot of the time at Wisconsin. Neither did their entire offense! That's why they fired the coach, he was an offensive guy, a qb coach guy!

If Mertz is coming here it is without question because the new OC gave their blessing. The new OC said "he has the tools, i can work with this".

Some of y'all talk so fast out both sides of your mouths you don't even listen to your logic! On the one hand Stoops is an awful offensive minded coach who holds our offense back.....but on the other hand he should be getting the very very best transfer QBs to come here!!!! Hello? Why exactly SHOULD a QB better than Mertz come here?

In an ideal world Coen doesn't leave, Levis has a year on the field to match his draft prospects, we are 9-3 or 10-2, and have a top rated 2023 HS QB committed. But our reality isn't ideal, we gotta make due with the bad spot we are in!

Will wasn't much better than that. Especially when you count fumbles.
This is my point exactly. How many close games did we lose because of turnovers during his 2 years? Cut out those stupid int's and fumbles and we win 4-5 more games over the last 2 years. It was a miracle that we did as well as we did last season considering that we were -11 on turnover margin good for 125th in the country. This season was at least -1 good for 74th in the country so improved but still not where you need to be to beat the UT, UGA, Ole Miss and USC's of the conference.

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!

I've weighed in on Mertz in different threads as we are very familiar with him here at Iowa.

I hope your new OC can turn the ship with him because Mertz has absolutely regressed each of the past two years. His game against us in November he was just brutal. Bad ass decision making particularly.
I know especially with a guy like Leary available or even a 5 star freshman who didn’t play early there were plenty of options and if mertz to Kentucky happens it feels like Kentucky settled

I know especially with a guy like Leary available or even a 5 star freshman who didn’t play early there were plenty of options and if mertz to Kentucky happens it feels like Kentucky settled
In the end, just like last year, there will be dozens of QBs in the portal eventually. I can't believe Kentucky would not have been able to land a much better QB than Mertz-- hell, you have a good program, you play in the best league in college football, and you are now sending a QB to the NFL.

With that said, why the hell would they settle on Graham Mertz?

Again, Iowa has had a terrible QB in Petras the past 3 years. You saw him in the bowl game last year. He was bad. Guess what? Mertz was barely a step above Petras.

I hope your new OC and QB coach can change the course of trajectory with Mertz because if not, you just picked up a mediocre QB and the drop off next year at that position will be huge.

I mean, the overreacting here is just slightly hysterical? Yeah, Mertz didn't look goodba lot of the time at Wisconsin. Neither did their entire offense! That's why they fired the coach, he was an offensive guy, a qb coach guy!

If Mertz is coming here it is without question because the new OC gave their blessing. The new OC said "he has the tools, i can work with this".

Some of y'all talk so fast out both sides of your mouths you don't even listen to your logic! On the one hand Stoops is an awful offensive minded coach who holds our offense back.....but on the other hand he should be getting the very very best transfer QBs to come here!!!! Hello? Why exactly SHOULD a QB better than Mertz come here?

In an ideal world Coen doesn't leave, Levis has a year on the field to match his draft prospects, we are 9-3 or 10-2, and have a top rated 2023 HS QB committed. But our reality isn't ideal, we gotta make due with the bad spot we are in!
Minus one game mertz wasn’t good his whole career, multiple Wisconsin fans have said this, nobody said we should be getting the best transfers, mertz isn’t the best, Leary who a lot of people want isn’t the best, a new OC may want mertz, or maybe stoops wants mertz

Well he was a very high ranked QB in high school with offers from all of the Big Boys and i do me ALL of the Big Boys in college football. Georgia, Bama to name a few.

For some strange reason he picked a non QB college and now here we are. His career is at a crossroads and looks like he is taking the SEC, UK path to sort him out. His future may depend on who UK gets as OC. Can they bring his talent to the top? IDK
He committed to Wisconsin after six varsity starts, then his recruitment blew up.

But he stuck with Wisconsin and it didn't work out.

Highlights look great (don't they all). Basically he didn't live up to the hype (highest ranked QB Wisconsin ever had) and was run off by the fans and coaching changes.

Rehab job in progress.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
I saw it earlier, so I went watched highlights, he does have good arm strength, but nothing pops off at you, it seems like he makes bad decisions a lot, I guess we will see if he actually come here
Yes I agree. Better arm strength than I thought, decent touch and fairly mobile. I like the fact that he has 2 years left. Let's give the guy a chance.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
In the end, just like last year, there will be dozens of QBs in the portal eventually. I can't believe Kentucky would not have been able to land a much better QB than Mertz-- hell, you have a good program, you play in the best league in college football, and you are now sending a QB to the NFL.

With that said, why the hell would they settle on Graham Mertz?

Again, Iowa has had a terrible QB in Petras the past 3 years. You saw him in the bowl game last year. He was bad. Guess what? Mertz was barely a step above Petras.

I hope your new OC and QB coach can change the course of trajectory with Mertz because if not, you just picked up a mediocre QB and the drop off next year at that position will be huge.
I agree, leary is atleast worth trying for, maybe the staff did I have no way of knowing, there is and will be better options, this is a settle take from Kentucky if he comes here, maybe coen can help mertz that’s what I am going to tell myself

Yes I agree. Better arm strength than I thought, decent touch and fairly mobile. I like the fact that he has 2 years left. Let's give the guy a chance.
I mean if he comes here we are going to have to, I went to the Wisconsin message boards and they all said his biggest issues are decision making and accuracy that’s not what I want from my QB

Reactions: bigbluedon
57% passer. 5/18 against Maryland(weather was bad), 8/18 against dogshit Nebraska, and 11/20 against Ohio State who isn’t as good as the teams we play. Poor decision maker, poor accuracy, throws alot of picks. The only thing to like is the tools he has.
Might need a larger sample of film for you to watch. you are kinda off.

I mean if he comes here we are going to have to, I went to the Wisconsin message boards and they all said his biggest issues are decision making and accuracy that’s not what I want from my QB
Typical to bash a QB leaving..... I understand. I like the guys film..... has time to improve on 57% and his TD/INT ratio. Kinda impressed with his arm strength and mobility. I firmly believe our next OC has seen alot of film on him and hard to argue with our next OC. His QB rating is not bad.

I agree, leary is atleast worth trying for, maybe the staff did I have no way of knowing, there is and will be better options, this is a settle take from Kentucky if he comes here, maybe coen can help mertz that’s what I am going to tell myself
Would Kentucky take two portal QBs and let them battle it out? Nebraska did this last winter.

Just a puzzling move by Stoops & company. Apparently they see a much bigger upside in the kid that I or others do.

The biggest thing is the Badger fan base is elated Mertz is moving on-- they were so done with him.

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!

QB rating went from 121 in 2021 to 135 in 2022. huh?

I am not sure what is so damn hard to understand....Stoops has been working behind the scenes to get Coen back....Coen wants Mertz.

is that not good enough for a guy who took our offense from ranked #96 in 2020 to #31 in one season with a QB from Penn State that ran the Wildcat on the goal line pretty much 95% of his playing time?

QB rating went from 121 in 2021 to 135 in 2022. huh?
I have no clue about QB ratings I just watch the games. You can do the same via YouTube. You watch and be the judge. Wisconsin's offense this year was terrible and they lost 6 games this year and much of the reason for that and the offense and fell on Mertz's shoulders. You need to take off your rose colored glasses.

Would Kentucky take two portal QBs and let them battle it out? Nebraska did this last winter.

Just a puzzling move by Stoops & company. Apparently they see a much bigger upside in the kid that I or others do.

The biggest thing is the Badger fan base is elated Mertz is moving on-- they were so done with him.
They may and I hope they do, I get Kentucky is Kentucky and we aren’t going to get the best, but having some expectations now is how the program has grown, and mertz isn’t somebody who I can see kentucky being competitive with

I am not sure what is so damn hard to understand....Stoops has been working behind the scenes to get Coen back....Coen wants Mertz.

is that not good enough for a guy who took our offense from ranked #96 in 2020 to #31 in one season with a QB from Penn State that ran the Wildcat on the goal line pretty much 95% of his playing time?
And what if coen isn’t the guy, we don’t if coen is the guy yet, and coen was good but you have to place some credibility in wandale robinson

ADVERTISEMENT