ADVERTISEMENT

Mertz looks like it’s about to be official

The film is good enough for the new OC.

I’d expect shocked if he doesn’t come in and do as well as Levis did his first year.

Better coaching and better playmakers than he ever had at Whisky.

Big win!
If the new OC likes him then I guess we have to be on board, his stats may or may not be better, he will be playing faster and better defenses heret

Definitely different vibes than the premium board. This dude is not that good, but those guys all want him.

Reactions: shockey4064
I’m getting flamed over there. Because it was the systems fault, the offensive play callings fault, he had no weapons. Every excuse known to man.
LOL man, he struggled against slow big ten defenses, what makes them think against SEC defenses with speed and athleticism he will succeed. I watched some of his highlights, he has arm talent and will make some good throws, but his decision making is bad and he doesn’t do anything else that pops off

LOL man, he struggled against slow big ten defenses, what makes them think against SEC defenses with speed and athleticism he will succeed. I watched some of his highlights, he has arm talent and will make some good throws, but his decision making is bad and he doesn’t do anything else that pops off
57% passer. 5/18 against Maryland(weather was bad), 8/18 against dogshit Nebraska, and 11/20 against Ohio State who isn’t as good as the teams we play. Poor decision maker, poor accuracy, throws alot of picks. The only thing to like is the tools he has.

Levis was a back up tho. He hadn’t really played. He was also a physical freak.
Fair point. We'll see how it all works out. I've heard it rumored we'll be taking two portal QBs but even now I haven't seen any confirm this one.

57% passer. 5/18 against Maryland(weather was bad), 8/18 against dogshit Nebraska, and 11/20 against Ohio State who isn’t as good as the teams we play. Poor decision maker, poor accuracy, throws alot of picks. The only thing to like is the tools he has.
He was bad against Iowa as well, Iowa is a good defense so that one may be a benefit of the doubt game, but he makes bad decisions, the accuracy point is a good one, and don’t get me wrong I like coen and if he comes back I will be glad, but I don’t know how much of his success should credited to wandale robinson bailing Kentucky out most of the time. Some people are acting like he is a QB guru, I guess we will see

In hindsight I think I’d call the Levis transfer amazing foresight by Coen. If he is the OC again and is picking Mertz then we should trust him. But if the OC isn’t Coen then…
If it’s the guy from Cincinnati then I start to get concerned a little

Meanwhile, there is another former 4 star QB in the portal from NC State we could be going after. He has been injured this season, but listen to the numbers he put last year as a sophomore:

Completion % - 65.7

Passing Yards - 3,433

Touchdowns - 35

Interceptions - 5

Now that is what a damn QB looks like! These are incredible numbers. Why aren't we going after Devin Leary instead? This is a guy who can be a difference maker, someone even better than Levis. Those are the numbers of a guy who is accurate, makes good decisions, and doesn't turn the football over.

I’m getting flamed over there. Because it was the systems fault, the offensive play callings fault, he had no weapons. Every excuse known to man.
I can’t imagine any UK fan watching enough Wisconsin games to get more than an eye test on this guy. I’ve seen him a few times and didn’t think highly of him, but I can’t possibly say it was the scheme or play calling issues. The fans saying that are probably hoping those excuses are true more than actually watching Wisconsin play enough to really say. His numbers look bad and I wasn’t impressed the few games I saw him

Reactions: Rockford
Meanwhile, there is another former 4 star QB in the portal from NC State we could be going after. He has been injured this season, but listen to the numbers he put last year as a sophomore:

Completion % - 65.7

Passing Yards - 3.433

Touchdowns - 35

Interceptions - 5

Now that is what a damn QB looks like! These are incredible numbers. Why aren't we going after Devin Leary instead? This is a guy who can be a difference maker, someone even better than Levis.
His boob ripped in half.

Everyone is missing one key element … Levis wasn’t very good at Penn State. He couldn’t even get on the field and now he’s a top QB prospect. Everyone take a breath, stop trying to be the experts you aren’t and give the kid a chance …. Just sayin

Everyone is missing one key element … Levis wasn’t very good at Penn State. He couldn’t even get on the field and now he’s a top QB prospect. Everyone take a breath, stop trying to be the experts you aren’t and give the kid a chance …. Just sayin
Big difference between mertz & levis

Reactions: secrules3
Big difference between mertz & levis
You’re right. Mertz was actually a starter and did things besides run the ball. Everything you can say are all things that we know now about Levis and not a reality coming out of Penn State. Levis couldn’t beat out a dude who is just an average college QB and will never be a pro QB. That matters and yes maybe it was bad coaching but the same could be said here. New offenses and staffs can unlock hidden talents. I’m not saying Mertz is our best option, but he was highly rated and he has shown some skill and considering he’s better than what we have seen on our bench so far, I’ll trust the staff to evaluate the players. Plus - just because there are other options doesn’t mean we haven’t tried those options or that those options are even interested. We need a QB desperately so if it’s Mertz, welcome aboard

You’re right. Mertz was actually a starter and did things besides run the ball. Everything you can say are all things that we know now about Levis and not a reality coming out of Penn State. Levis couldn’t beat out a dude who is just an average college QB and will never be a pro QB. That matters and yes maybe it was bad coaching but the same could be said here. New offenses and staffs can unlock hidden talents. I’m not saying Mertz is our best option, but he was highly rated and he has shown some skill and considering he’s better than what we have seen on our bench so far, I’ll trust the staff to evaluate the players. Plus - just because there are other options doesn’t mean we haven’t tried those options or that those options are even interested. We need a QB desperately so if it’s Mertz, welcome aboard
Mertz is not the best option, if he comes here then we have to be on board, maybe a new offense opens things up for him, but Kentuckys offense doesn’t exactly set the world on fire, coen returning would help, but the difference was Levis was all potential and somewhat of unknown, mertz is known, arm talent, bad decision making, and struggles with accuracy, those last two are not things you want in a starting QB

Mertz is not the best option, if he comes here then we have to be on board, maybe a new offense opens things up for him, but Kentuckys offense doesn’t exactly set the world on fire, coen returning would help, but the difference was Levis was all potential and somewhat of unknown, mertz is known, arm talent, bad decision making, and struggles with accuracy, those last two are not things you want in a starting QB
Coen was an unknown and has been terrible for the rams. Of course he succeeded last year, he didn’t have much choice we were terrible the year before and even he force fed the ball to two players. Coen wasn’t that creative and I’d argue he’s not our best option at OC. As to your other points some are valid but it’s also valid that Levis still struggles with accuracy, still can’t read a defense and still makes bad decisions and yet…. He’s a top NFL prospect which tells me you don’t have to be an athletic freak to be a good QB or a good QB to be drafted. It’s a lot on potential and Mertz has potential to be a very good college QB. Not every kid is going to be a super star and yet they can still be very good

Coen was an unknown and has been terrible for the rams. Of course he succeeded last year, he didn’t have much choice we were terrible the year before and even he force fed the ball to two players. Coen wasn’t that creative and I’d argue he’s not our best option at OC. As to your other points some are valid but it’s also valid that Levis still struggles with accuracy, still can’t read a defense and still makes bad decisions and yet…. He’s a top NFL prospect which tells me you don’t have to be an athletic freak to be a good QB or a good QB to be drafted. It’s a lot on potential and Mertz has potential to be a very good college QB. Not every kid is going to be a super star and yet they can still be very good
All good points, levis has his faults, coen is hard to get a full read on, because wandale bailed Kentucky out a lot his year here, mertz has potential, but anytime I see two traits pop up about bad decision making and accuracy problems I become concerned. Stoops would never hire a coordinator like Tennessee or run a offense like that

All good points, levis has his faults, coen is hard to get a full read on, because wandale bailed Kentucky out a lot his year here, mertz has potential, but anytime I see two traits pop up about bad decision making and accuracy problems I become concerned. Stoops would never hire a coordinator like Tennessee or run a offense like that
I do agree that stoops will never want a wide open offense. It’s just not his DNA

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Wild to me that anyone would think coen isn't creative...literally everyone in the stadium knew who was getting the ball 90% of the time and he still had crod gashing people and schemed wandale open a ton.

I don’t know what happened to Mertz during his November swoon, but up to that point he had completed about 64% of his throws on 8.7 yards per attempt, with 17 TDs and 6 INTs.

You can't pass on Mertz unless you feel good about your chances with someone else.
I'd say about all of the top QB's in the portal have a good idea of where they wznt to go.
You have to think that Leary wants to play at a higher profile school or maybe a coach he already has a conection with.
Stoops is not like Cal in the fact that he can jump into any recruiting race he chooses.
Even with all of Mertz percieved flaws, how do you say no if he's the guy thats most interested in UK of the top available.

Maybe but no one at Penn State or the Big 10 cared at all that Levis transferred either

Penn State fans hated to see Levis go. He was solid depth at QB, even if he couldn't put it together on the field enough to beat out Clifford. Had he stayed, he could have stepped into the Iowa game and likely finish the Hawkeyes off. Minimally, we would have won 8+ games with him on the roster. Selfish, absolutely. Just the reality.

how was he rising up
he was sitting on the bench only being used as a bulldozer
most fans had no idea who Levis was

Levis was given ample opportunity to lead the team. The problem was, our OL stunk and we couldn't run the ball effectively without our top 2 RBs who were both out by the 3rd play of the year. The same problems that reared their head for him in '22 at UK are the same reasons he was #2 at PSU.

---
Mertz. I think more was placed on his plate because he was a heralded recruit in a place known for strictly game managers than should have been. I don't think they have the typical OLs they have had over the years. That means a lot.

Realistically speaking, if the UK OL doesn't improve greatly for '23, it isn't going to matter what QB is brought in.

Keep in mind that besides a TikTok of Levis absolutely slinging it in a private workout against air, we didn’t have much to get excited about then either. Worked out pretty well for the most part. If it is true makes me believe they know who the OC will be just can’t announce it. I feel like a QB is unlikely to commit somewhere when they don’t know who they are going to working for.

You can't pass on Mertz unless you feel good about your chances with someone else.
I'd say about all of the top QB's in the portal have a good idea of where they wznt to go.
You have to think that Leary wants to play at a higher profile school or maybe a coach he already has a conection with.
Stoops is not like Cal in the fact that he can jump into any recruiting race he chooses.
Even with all of Mertz percieved flaws, how do you say no if he's the guy thats most interested in UK of the top available.
Leary’s two suitors according to rumors, are Mizzou & Florida, Kentucky can compete in recruiting with those teams

Leary’s two suitors according to rumors, are Mizzou & Florida, Kentucky can compete in recruiting with those teams
Mizzou must have a connection with Leary but Florida will beat UK 9/10 for a player they really want.
Florida has been good all of Leary's life they still have the perception factor.
He probably didnt watch a minute of either team this season.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
I don’t get why people are so upset. If Coen ends up coming back as OC and Mertz was who he wanted, who are we to question it? We saw him bring in Levis (who at the time was a complete unknown) and the majority of the fanbase thought Joey Gatewood would be our starter in 2021. Everyone take a deep breath. Sheesh.

Wild to me that anyone would think coen isn't creative...literally everyone in the stadium knew who was getting the ball 90% of the time and he still had crod gashing people and schemed wandale open a ton.
Your statement proves my point, that’s not creativity but I will rephrase my earlier statement because compared to we had, he was very creative but while he was better he’s not super creative. Gran actually ran more motions and had more formations. I like Coen and would have no issues if he came back, but I don’t think he’s an offensive genius. There are better options out there, which was my point

Reactions: bigbluedon
Does this guy have the ability to make plays with his legs? We dont need anymore guys who need a clean pocket and 4 seconds to make a play. We need mobile run pass run option guys. If stoops wants to run clock then our qb needs to make all three plays. Option will het shut down in the sec it has a ceiling same with drop back pocket passer. Guys who can pick up 400 yds a season on the ground or more seem the way to go.

The way our offense looked this past season and all the hits our QBs took I’m optimistic that ant QB is showing up from the portal. Hoping QB Coach and OC can turn him into a quality starter.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
ADVERTISEMENT