ADVERTISEMENT

McKinley Wright -Colorado

I just listened to this and all he said was Wright would be a perfect fit for UK.He didn't say one thing about Cal reaching out to him.

• Haha
Reactions: STL_Cat
People talking about transfers we got almost 30 years ago don't get it. You aren't getting DA as a transfer these days. He's going pro. Pope isn't coming for two seasons. You're getting them for maybe one season. That's it.

DA wasn’t that good coming in. I’m not even sure the JR year DA would get drafted.
And Pope was ok, but not that good.
Your targets are guys not getting noticed being at a mid-major, and guys who are good college players but not prospects, because maybe undersized.

DA wasn’t that good coming in. I’m not even sure the JR year DA would get drafted.
And Pope was ok, but not that good.
Your targets are guys not getting noticed being at a mid-major, and guys who are good college players but not prospects, because maybe undersized.
I mentioned those two because I have seen those names tossed out as examples of what's out there as transfers. But, let's get into it:

Pope was absolutely that good. He was Pac-10 Freshman of the year in 1991-1992. He was a guy many colleges wanted.

You don't think if a Derek Anderson-type player tried to go pro, he couldn't? That he wasn't that good? Do you really remember Anderson?

Baylor just won th championship not even 2 weeks ago with 3 of their top 6 as transfers.
They sure did. But those guys weren't exceptional coming into Baylor. They stayed multiple years, worked hard and it paid off. That's not the norm. Mac McClung and Jemarl Baker is more the norm for these days.

Look, if a guy is good enough to be an instant impact, they're going pro most of the time instead of transferring. And the guys that do transfer aren't staying at the new school for long. There are no absolutes in anything and you could get a fantastic player or two from the portal. Odds are, you're getting a role player that moves on after a season or two.

Reactions: kl40504
Baylor just won th championship not even 2 weeks ago with 3 of their top 6 as transfers.
The guy you replied to said you only get transfers for 1 year and while you are correct about some of Baylor's players being transfers, which I have seen posted on here a lot, the thing to note is, those 4 players were in the Baylor program for at least two years. All 4 either sat out a year or redshirted a year, which means all 4 got to work out and practice with the team for a full year before playing.

Macio Teague: sat out the 18/19 season
Davion Mitchell: sat out the 18/19 season
Flagler: redshirted in 19/20
Tchatchua: redshirted in 19/20

Can you imagine keeping Mintz, Carr, Nate Sestina and Reid Travis for two years?

The guy you replied to said you only get transfers for 1 year and while you are correct about some of Baylor's players being transfers, which I have seen posted on here a lot, the thing to note is, those 4 players were in the Baylor program for at least two years. All 4 either sat out a year or redshirted a year, which means all 4 got to work out and practice with the team for a full year before playing.

Macio Teague: sat out the 18/19 season
Davion Mitchell: sat out the 18/19 season
Flagler: redshirted in 19/20
Tchatchua: redshirted in 19/20

Can you imagine keeping Mintz, Carr, Nate Sestina and Reid Travis for two years?
Thanks

Yeah, This is the PG for our team. Add in Miller from Illinois and thats a solid guard lineup along with hickman.

Reactions: RunninRichie
My new favorite of all the potential PG transfers. Adding him should make us solid again.

Not sure I am seeing a national championship contending team at this point, but I don't see a repeat of last season at least.

Hoping this new group of Cats shocks us -- in a positive way this time.

People talking about transfers we got almost 30 years ago don't get it. You aren't getting DA as a transfer these days. He's going pro. Pope isn't coming for two seasons. You're getting them for maybe one season. That's it.
No offense to you genuine question on my part—what is your suggestion as to how Cal rights this ship right away? Seems the legit OAD are gonna be few and far between with G League. How else can he field a team in 6 months that’s a legit contender? I see the transfer system at least for this year as the best way and it appears to me Cal and Co do as well they are reaching out to all of the above. Which is good with me honestly.

I don’t have skin in the game either way. Just seems some people (not you necessarily) are gonna bash either way.

No offense to you genuine question on my part—what is your suggestion as to how Cal rights this ship right away? Seems the legit OAD are gonna be few and far between with G League. How else can he field a team in 6 months that’s a legit contender? I see the transfer system at least for this year as the best way and it appears to me Cal and Co do as well they are reaching out to all of the above. Which is good with me honestly.

I don’t have skin in the game either way. Just seems some people (not you necessarily) are gonna bash either way.
If you want to start a whole separate discussion, we can. I didn't think my original comment would garner such attention.

Ok: I don't pretend to have the answer. I'm not going to sit here and BS you. I also don't make 10 million a year. I'm just a fan on a message board. But, that doesn't change my evaluation of the types of players you get from the transfer portal, as being mostly role player talents. I don't think I'm wrong in what I've said. I will throw this in; the top high schoolers are going to college this year, just not to UK. Duke has quite the haul. If you can get the elite of the elite high schooler, and convince some kids to stick around, fill out the roster with role players from the portal, you could probably succeed. One thing I do know, Cal doesn't have exceptional seasons without an elite kid or two. He'd best figure it out.

His style of play is similar to Dominique Hawkins. I am sure he is better but watching him reminds me of Dominique.

If you want to start a whole separate discussion, we can. I didn't think my original comment would garner such attention.

Ok: I don't pretend to have the answer. I'm not going to sit here and BS you. I also don't make 10 million a year. I'm just a fan on a message board. But, that doesn't change my evaluation of the types of players you get from the transfer portal, as being mostly role player talents. I don't think I'm wrong in what I've said. I will throw this in; the top high schoolers are going to college this year, just not to UK. Duke has quite the haul. If you can get the elite of the elite high schooler, and convince some kids to stick around, fill out the roster with role players from the portal, you could probably succeed. One thing I do know, Cal doesn't have exceptional seasons without an elite kid or two. He'd best figure it out.

Fair enough not trying to start a separate discussion was just curious. I don’t disagree with anything you said honestly. I just attribute the high school recruiting misses a little more to the changing landscape than to Cal, but he is the one ultimately responsible for the product on the floor. I’m just kinda sitting back to see how this whole thing plays out.

Last edited:
Fair enough not trying to start a separate discussion was just curious. I don’t disagree with anything you said honestly. I just attribute the high school recruiting misses a little more to the changing landscape than to Cal, but he is the one ultimately responsible for the product on the floor. I’m just kinda sitting back to see how this whole thing plays out.
I think Cal has failed to keep up with the changing landscape, which is why he has so many misses on top targets the last few years. That's why we see these mad scrambles in the transfer portal.
Now that the transfer and roster attrition is going to hit everyone, it will be interesting to see how things shake out. College basketball is at its most most desperate point. It will either slide to the irrelevance that is college baseball, or return to its glory days. With most marquee coaching reaching nursing home ages, I'm not sure college ball will make it.

Reactions: Atrain7732
6 foot PG.. so he's already undersized.. and he's already 22, which is actually not a good thing when it comes to being drafted. I imagine he knows that the NBA is a longshot for him.. and/or maybe he needs to prove himself at the highest of levels, playing for a major program in a power conference (where as Colorado is a middling program at a power conference).
Late to the game. Rumor swirling last week (started by who knows who) about a Colorado guard who could be in the portal. I admit, saw McKinley rumored about and had to laugh. I just don't buy that he would put himself into the portal. Makes about zero sense. Thought I would check out this board to see if there was any chatter and found this thread buried. Then I saw your post and couldn't stop shaking my head.

"major program in a power conference (where as [sic] Colorado is a middling program at a power conference)." Maybe the number of Drake likes counts as major lately. CU has won 68 games the last 3 years and is ranked in the top 25. Kentucky is a great program for sure and has won in the 60's the last few years as well. Both play high level competition. Kentucky is historically relevant, but the NBA doesn't draft off of history. Could not think of a more irrelevant statement in terms of a future profession.

As for McKinley, he gains little playing for Kentucky or any other college another year (CU included). If he's good enough for the NBA, his 4 years would have shown that. He isn't going to face better competition playing for Kentucky than he did at CU (might be worse actually). If he's not NBA material, then a year a Kentucky isn't going to change that. If anything, it's just delaying the inevitable. The only way I see him pulling his name out of the draft and going to college another year is if someone offered him more Ducats to spend a year in college than the Ducats he would get going pro overseas or in the NBA as a 2-way player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT