ADVERTISEMENT

Max Green Oldham County

rolaid

All-American
Sep 3, 2002
Saw him play one time this year and was very impressed - walked away thinking how can a 6’6” guard and leading scorer in state playing in a Major Metro area end up at Holy Cross and not at least NKU or WKU
Just saw he lit Indiana all stars up tonight with 36 points
Never know might be a name to watch in this new portal world

It was.

I sat courtside for a game where De'Aron Fox played like dog crap in high school.

It would been interesting to hear fans say, "No too impressive" based on that one game, when he turned out to be an All-SEC performer for us.
Travis Perry is not in De'Aron Fox's League. If Travis is an All-SEC performer when he is a senior, we are very fortunate. Brady Shoulders probably has more D1 potential than Travis Perry.

Saw him play one time this year and was very impressed - walked away thinking how can a 6’6” guard and leading scorer in state playing in a Major Metro area end up at Holy Cross and not at least NKU or WKU
Just saw he lit Indiana all stars up tonight with 36 points
Never know might be a name to watch in this new portal world
Some have him listed 6 ft 8

Travis Perry is not in De'Aron Fox's League. If Travis is an All-SEC performer when he is a senior, we are very fortunate. Brady Shoulders probably has more D1 potential than Travis Perry.
Perry will end up being pretty good IMO. He’s got a good handle, is fundamentally solid and shoots the hell out of the ball. If Patrick Sparks can play as well as he did here so can Travis. Kid can ball.

We shall see but man this kid sure likes too score and he scores in bunches 6 ft 8 hard to guard from the perimeter man talking about being under the radar Holy Cross got a steal
Well if he picked Holy Cross over UK, there's not much we can do.

He didn’t get offered so yeah. Maybe he is a late riser. I hope someone on the staff may have seen it and monitors his freshman year a little for the future,
Who else offered him besides Holy Cross?

Well if NO power 5 team offered him, how is it a big miss for UK ? Seems like they had the same evaluation as everyone else. Kid may turn out to be a really good player, but just because he scored 36 in a all star game (one game) doesn't make him a big time D1 prospect. There is a reason he ended up at Holy Cross. What was the report on him BEFORE this game ? I never read a comment from ANY poster on here about his star status.

It was.

I sat courtside for a game where De'Aron Fox played like dog crap in high school.

It would been interesting to hear fans say, "No too impressive" based on that one game, when he turned out to be an All-SEC performer for us.
Who was the Kentucky high schooler who scored like a machine during Tubby's time.
He wasn't recruited by him either.
I don't think he went on to any semblance of stardom.

It was.

Exactly, Saul. And not to mention that Fox is now an NBA All-Star with a career average of over 21 ppg in The League.
I think folks who downplay Travis Perry will be proven to be mistaken, in time.
Just MHO, of course.
Go 'Cats ! ! !

Who was the Kentucky high schooler who scored like a machine during Tubby's time.
To be fair, Rondo, Joe Crawford, and Ramel Bradley were recruited instead of Lofton. All those guys were ranked much higher, two being burger boys. The three previous Mr. Basketballs were Josh Carrier, Brandon Stockton, and Ross Neltner. That's not exactly a great track record for Mr. Basketballs. Tubby probably didn't want to get burned again.

Then you obviously never saw Dwight Anderson when he played for the 'Cats during the 1978-79 season (his only full season at U.K.).
This is an absolute amazing comparison and reply, as I made the EXACT SAME COMMENT to friends with me at the game and others I texted it after it !!! I should've added IN PERSON to my post. I never saw Dwight Anderson play, other than on television, and never in high school. House was more adept and qiuck with the ball (multi-directionally) than either Fox or Dillingham, imho.

House had extreme quickness with the ball, could go anywhere he wanted at any time, kept his head up, looked for teammates, but the most impressive thing was that ... for all of the time he had the ball, he never had even a remote mishandle, odd dribble or was affected by defensive pressure, at all. His going to Jacksonville State struck me as a lost opportunity for many better-known schools, unless I just caught him on a most stellar/perfect evening for him ... just like for Max Green, who was simply incredible !!

Last edited:
When I was in high school, there was an in-state player named Ervin Stepp, KY Mr. Basketball, who averaged 47 points a game as a Junior and almost 54 points per game as a Senior. His game never carried over to college, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reactions: mebeblue2
Green has point guard type handle at 6-7. Shooting percentages somewhere around 52% from the field and 44% from the three. One of his grandfathers played football at UK. Have never thought about it but size, skill and game is similar to McNeely. High confidence level. Would be neat to see him with UK now that the roster will have more Kentuckians on it. Looks like he could play the two or three in college because he now is not just a shooter but can go inside effectively.

Reactions: ruppsrunt66
Hell, just look at the list of previous Mr. Basketball winners. Dudes lite it up against KY high school talent, and never amounted to jack shit. Just because this guy had 36 points in the KY / IN All Star game, does not mean he will be a superstar at the major D1 level. He may end up being good, but if we call it a miss on every player who scored 36 points in a game, the coaches couldn't recruit them all.

How did Travis Perry look?
This was my third time seeing Perry play. All three (3) times were at the Lexington Catholic gym. Last night, he played very hard and unselfishly, but looked human, albeit against all-star competition. He played off-ball, did not hunt shots and let the game come to him. Early on, he and all his teammates appeared to sense that Max Green was having one of those Meeks/Monk/Givens kind of nights ... and Kentucky seemed to defer to Green ... rightfully so, without any question. Green was incredibly fabulous ... that's all you can say about his performance !!

Perry had a couple of driving attempts where it appeared the height near the rim bothered him and those shots were not good. He played solidly on defense, but did get beat a couple of times ... while looking away for the ball (reminded me a little bit of Jeff Sheppard that way). I really like him, but am not certain how well he will contribute on the bigger stage at KY, especially early on. Although Perry does not strike me as a true point guard, I see a comparison to Patrick Sparks. I think Perry is definitely more of a flow-of-the-system guy than a bucket-getter. You can tell he is the son of a coach and knows how to play the game. I am very glad he is a Wildcat and it will be interesting to see how he performs. I am really pulling for him. If I had to guess, I think he'll have a solid career for the Cats, progressing year-to-year.

Last edited:
Green has point guard type handle at 6-7. Shooting percentages somewhere around 52% from the field and 44% from the three. One of his grandfathers played football at UK. Have never thought about it but size, skill and game is similar to McNeely. High confidence level. Would be neat to see him with UK now that the roster will have more Kentuckians on it. Looks like he could play the two or three in college because he now is not just a shooter but can go inside effectively.
I know this will sound like a real stretch and unbelievable, but if Green's performance last night was closer to typical than just one-of-those-nights, he might be better than Perry, Chandler and Noah ... combined !!

Do I believe this to be the case ... of course not, but his game was the kind they make movies about.
He only played 26 of the 40 minutes of the game ... !!!

Here is a video of both games, if interested, to allow you to make your own assessments. ENJOY !!!

NOTE: I also posted as a title post, to help insure everyone interested might see the video.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT