ADVERTISEMENT

Matt just said…

That comes off to me like Mitch wanting it to be Drew and stacking the deck in his favor while still being able to pay lip service to “I offered Hurley”
This is nonsense. There would be complaining no.matter what...if he offered hurley 12 million you'd claim it was a problem bc it wasnt 13

Reactions: preacherfan
I think we all know it's gonna be Drew. Barney was their chaperone in the hotel for Baylor in 2021 and Barney got to make forts at night with Drew and stay up late, 1030pm.

I know we have to move fast but it just feels like the fix was in from the start. Now we have to convince Drew. Good grief.

Reactions: GoCats53
I think we all know it's gonna be Drew. Barney was their chaperone in the hotel for Baylor in 2021 and Barney got to make forts at night with Drew and stay up late, 1030pm.

I know we have to move fast but it just feels like the fix was in from the start. Now we have to convince Drew. Good grief.

Drew has 2 kids in HS and one at Baylor. Those are very good reasons to stay where he is.

He's burned Mitch before. He said he wanted the job then backed out. Timing with him isn't great either with the NBA playoffs starting next week. Can he afford to wait maybe several weeks for Donovan to maybe say no again. Agree he'd be a great hire, but I think UK and Mitch feel like they need to act fairly quickly to build a roster.
Bulls aren't going anywhere.

This is nonsense. There would be complaining no.matter what...if he offered hurley 12 million you'd claim it was a problem bc it wasnt 13
That’s incorrect but sure. I think you target the best coach first with closed door conversations via back channels to see if there is a number or possibility to bring an official offer public. And then you move to the next if the answer is no. But you don’t tell 2 coaches simultaneously “you have 24 hours and it’s a race. Go!” Thats what the comment, it true, was in reference to.

Mitch wanted Drew first instead of the unanimous best college coach currently, likely due to personal bias. That has been proven by how this played out and we are now in the northeast likely explaining why Hurley wasn’t #1 to begin with.

If we offered 12 and he said no and that’s your upper limit then you move on. I personally have a hard time justifying more than 10m/highest paid coach in the game, but it isn’t my money.

That’s incorrect but sure. I think you target the best coach first with closed door conversations via back channels to see if there is a number or possibility to bring an official offer public. And then you move to the next if the answer is no. But you don’t tell 2 coaches simultaneously “you have 24 hours and it’s a race. Go!” Thats what the comment, it true, was in reference to.

Mitch wanted Drew first instead of the unanimous best college coach currently, likely due to personal bias. That has been proven by how this played out and we are now in the northeast likely explaining why Hurley wasn’t #1 to begin with.

If we offered 12 and he said no and that’s your upper limit then you move on. I personally have a hard time justifying more than 10m/highest paid coach in the game, but it isn’t my money

Hurley is flavor of the month. Drew was actually the "safer" play. At least Drew has been successful over years after taking over a dumpster fire. Hurley has 2 great years in a program that has been winning.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Hurley is flavor of the month. Drew was actually the "safer" play. At least Drew has been successful over years after taking over a dumpster fire. Hurley has 2 great years in a program that has been winning.
I can follow and accept that logic if that’s the case someone wants to make of why Drew is the first call. I can buy the bigger consistent data set argument.

Hurley isn’t a flavor of the month though. He’s proven x and os and now he has all the momentum and name recognition. He’s in his Billy the Kid era that a young Billy D had. He’s slightly higher risk bc he may leave. But he’s established himself and arrived. He isn’t a lightning in the bottle/flash in the pan at this point.

Flavor of the month is a dude who made a single big tourny run to the F4 ala Shaka smart VCU. Wichita state etc

Reactions: willn85
I can follow and accept that logic if that’s the case someone wants to make of why Drew is the first call. I can buy the bigger consistent data set argument.

Hurley isn’t a flavor of the month though. He’s proven x and os and now he has all the momentum and name recognition. He’s in his Billy the Kid era that a young Billy D had. He’s slightly higher risk bc he may leave. But he’s established himself and arrived. He isn’t a lightning in the bottle/flash in the pan at this point.

Flavor of the month is a dude who made a single big tourny run to the F4 ala Shaka smart VCU. Wichita state etc

I get your point. But, before the 2 titles Hurley had never even made a Sweet 16. Having said that, TWO titles is darn impressive. I am not 100% sold on Hurley yet. I would like to see him at least make a few E8's or Sweet 16's.

I may be wrong. If so and Hurley wins another title next year or goes far, I will admit that I was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT