ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones Hate of Football

We won 8 games two years in a row just once in 60 years and we were cheating.
Just so everyone knows, we won nine games in 1984, when we were the cleanest program in the SEC.

And the only fair answer for Matt Jones' ignorance of football and opportunistic attitude toward the Big Blue Nation is to stop clicking his teaser website and just stop listening to him.

Tom Leach is an adult and has the inside scoop if anybody does. His one hour daily show tells me all I need to know about UK sports. Matt Jones is just Matt Jones and his appeal is to the juvenile, giggling school girl types.

But UK is a very diverse fan base so I guess he serves a need for special needs people. Giggle giggle
This.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Wow, I haven't heard such fanboy nonsense since my little sister was star stuck over New Kids on the Block.

That was a great slam. Did you spend the last few days coming up with it? Mark Wahlberg is pretty great, not gonna lie. Although I wasn't even alive for almost their entire run.

Pointing out stupid arguments doesn't equate to fanboying somebody. He's not even going to be on radio in two years. Please take your meds, your mind is taking you all over the place.

That was a great slam. Did you spend the last few days coming up with it? Mark Wahlberg is pretty great, not gonna lie. Although I wasn't even alive for almost their entire run.

Pointing out stupid arguments doesn't equate to fanboying somebody. He's not even going to be on radio in two years. Please take your meds, your mind is taking you all over the place.
Mark wahlberg wasn't a new kids on block member I don't think. It was Donnie Wahlberg if my memory is correct.

Your part of what? I still have all of my teeth, and don't find your condescending attitude any different from Jones'. Maybe you are his alter ego. Jones is a self-promotional opportunist who hopes to dupe enough people into supporting him so he can take advantage of the Big Blue Nation for personal gain. Jones censors posters on his website. That's fine behavior for a guy who fancies himself as a US Senator. Jones doesn't belong within 100 miles of Washington, and doesn't know anymore about football than anyone here.
This sums Jones up perfectly.

Jones is an okay, radio personality.
His TV personality is bland.
Right now, if he wants to get political, he should go for the office of the state senate.
To think, he could be a US senator, right now, is totally off base.

Last edited:
It is amazing. I don't get why anyone likes him. We can always find someone for basketball, his football knowledge is minimal, and he apparently has no desire to learn more. He is almost as bad as CNN on politics. Half of what he reports is either a stretch or a complete falsehood. Not too mention what he leaves out, night after night he reported on teachers losing their 5k death payment. . not once did he mention that it was getting replaced by a 20k life insurance policy.

Obviously I am not a fan of his at all.

This guy is ridiculous. His head would explode if the Football program where to become successful. I am sick of his hate of UK Football.

This guy is ridiculous. His head would explode if the Football program where to become successful. I am sick of his hate of UK Football.
Matt's facts may not have been in line with his comments, but you are wrong if you think he doesn't love all things Kentucky.

It is amazing. I don't get why anyone likes him. We can always find someone for basketball, his football knowledge is minimal, and he apparently has no desire to learn more. He is almost as bad as CNN on politics. Half of what he reports is either a stretch or a complete falsehood. Not too mention what he leaves out, night after night he reported on teachers losing their 5k death payment. . not once did he mention that it was getting replaced by a 20k life insurance policy.

Obviously I am not a fan of his at all.
Thanks for pointing this out. It is something one would never know if they depended on him for political truth.

I don't listen to Jones but as I said on another thread, I think KSR plays a huge role in setting unrealistic expectations for football fans and then often leads the charge against the program when it comes up short of those expectations
I do listen, and I think that statement is completely erroneous. Matt simply gets giddy about the team the same as any other fan, which means at times he's as unrealistic as any other fan, but he's mostly grounded - he doesn't see us getting more than 8 regular season wins very often. He also has criticisms like any other fan, which means at times he's overly critical about things that we all had hoped would come to fruition - like 8+ regular season wins last year with a weak schedule. The notion that he "leads the charge against the program" is ridiculous. If anything, he overly defends the program when he shouldn't.

You can't argue that he has some influence over the culture surrounding UK football. That's how he wants it. Where we differ is whether his influence is detrimental to the team/program or not.

When you give token attention to the program, and brush it aside like it is of little consequence when it is inconvenient to address it does not advance the team and program to a place where recruits feel that they can make a difference here. Instead of spending time chatting up football prospects he spends time whining about the BB uniform design and agitating for a change amongst the listeners to his show. Is there any doubt that he worked them into a frenzy to go after the basketball referee? He uses his influence for laughs at the expense of the programs he professes to love.

His tired old spin that Kentucky will never do better because they haven't is exactly the type of talk that has kept us down this long. It's the culture. I recall people saying the same about South Carolina, Baylor, and others at some point.

Reactions: myWILDCATjones
I do listen, and I think that statement is completely erroneous. Matt simply gets giddy about the team the same as any other fan, which means at times he's as unrealistic as any other fan, but he's mostly grounded - he doesn't see us getting more than 8 regular season wins very often. He also has criticisms like any other fan, which means at times he's overly critical about things that we all had hoped would come to fruition - like 8+ regular season wins last year with a weak schedule. The notion that he "leads the charge against the program" is ridiculous. If anything, he overly defends the program when he shouldn't.

I'm not talking about Matt specifically, but KSR in general which Matt directs. I think he should direct them to quit being so bi-polar when it comes to UK football

The most informed mr Jones said this morning on ksr that junior college athletes are as good as D1 athletes. Said because of grades they are just as good and that is true, "no matter what anyone thinks".
Trying to make the point that touchdown terry is as good as just about any d1.
To quote my granny, "that boy is ignorant"

Reactions: Dallas-Wild
The most informed mr Jones said this morning on ksr that junior college athletes are as good as D1 athletes. Said because of grades they are just as good and that is true, "no matter what anyone thinks".
Trying to make the point that touchdown terry is as good as just about any d1.
To quote my granny, "that boy is ignorant"

Ignorance at its finest.

If that were true every JUCO would end up at a D1 School. Doesn’t happen.

Reactions: thepip
My fruatration with his show specifically stems from the fact that what made it appealing was the everyman approach. He was literally one of us, who put stuff together, and it's worked out well. I'm all for that; kudos. However, the show has lost its way. Now it's father knows best, in spite of people consistently throwing up red flags. I lost interest a while ago and wont be returning to it, sad to say. I used to enjoy it quite a bit in its earlier iterations.

I think Lorenzen and Ryan had a great rapport. Add two guys, Kyle Tucker for one, not sure who else would be a good fit. Ryan knows sports and baseball, Jared, football. Kyle is a good all around reporter, and would make a great "straight man." I doubt he would do it, but Tony Delk did a great job on SECN. It would be awesome to have his knowledgeable takes.

I don’t like listening to JLo talk football. He is lazy with facts. Maggard worked hard to know the details. Jared seems to think because he played the game is enough.

Football is something Matt has to talk about to appease a vocal portion of the fan base and that is what it sounds like. Something he has to do, but does not want to do. He was reportedly spelling Paul Finebaum and joked that he would have Phil Steele’s mag right there to read from so he could talk football. He is barely a little more versed in UK football. I know it’s July, but I don’t care about the whacky ball-busting adventures of Ryan’s wife. Or, the maturation of Ryan’s hair plugs. Kudos to you all that find that entertaining. They are obviously providing a need to you. I suspect there are message boards somewhere where that is the topic of discussion. I just don’t care.

Most people hate Matt out of jealousy and nothing else. He parlayed his fandom of UK sports into a successful business and some people hate him for it because it's what they want but will never achieve it.

Matt doesn't hate football he is just realistic.

Matt’s frame of reference,for his sense of UK athletic history,is the last 15-20 years,that’s his perspective. Basketball good,football bad, didn’t know there was a baseball team. Without the sophomoric humor and wisecracks,the UK athletic knowledge is very limited to what’s current,and wouldn’t be relevant to a sports program for Kentucky fans. Basically a frontrunning take of what’s the popular view of sports,without much research or in depth knowledge!

I think its funny that posters here pretend that if you don't care for Matt, you must be jealous. As if Matt's success is all you need to acknowledge and his success should be enough to make you a fan. By that standard, anyone who hates on president Trump is just jealous and needs to get over themselves.

Matt’s frame of reference,for his sense of UK athletic history,is the last 15-20 years,that’s his perspective. Basketball good,football bad, didn’t know there was a baseball team. Without the sophomoric humor and wisecracks,the UK athletic knowledge is very limited to what’s current,and wouldn’t be relevant to a sports program for Kentucky fans. Basically a frontrunning take of what’s the popular view of sports,without much research or in depth knowledge!
This is well stated, probably the best I have read. That is what frustrates me about him. He just doesn't know UK athletics and does not care enough to learn it. His niche is girlish behavior, teeny bop jokes and wisecracks with his lapdog side kicks.

It sells for those UK fans who want entertainment from a radio talk show or too young to know. UK is older than his 20 year window and to tell the truth had years with more success than in his brief 20 years following UK. He doesn't understand or recognize that.

I don’t like listening to JLo talk football. He is lazy with facts. Maggard worked hard to know the details. Jared seems to think because he played the game is enough.
Oh Id agree with that 100%. But he was the QB when I was at UK so he's "my guy" and I like hearing his opinions. He's almost always wrong on his predictions. [laughing] I just like his on air personality. Freddie is a little too all business sometimes (and Jared not business enough) but his facts and his breakdowns I loved. I guess he wont be doing pregame this season? :oops: I'll miss his detailed reports, they were awesome. Not a fan of the back and forth he and Christie Thomas do but its part of the business. Id rather have 2-3 guye like Freddie, Jared, hell Max Smith and Anthony White do radio get em in there, just let them talk shop.

The baseball stuff really ticks me off. Baseball is huge in this state, and now that Coach Ming has brought the energy and attitude we have been craving you see it in the stands every weekend. I cant wait to see the new field next season.

Reactions: NewWildcatOrder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT