ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones Hate of Football

This guy is ridiculous. His head would explode if the Football program where to become successful. I am sick of his hate of UK Football.

OMG the guy is unbelievably ignorant when it comes to football. He just said that we won 8 games two seasons in a row and then were put on probation. Uh no, that's not correct Matty boy 2006 and 2007 when Rich Brooks won 8 games in a row back to back we were off probation.

Matt is very limited as a college sports radio host. However, over the years, he has cultivated some pretty good contacts and his biggest contributions to sports journalism has been often being first to announce certain news, both good or bad. JMO

Peace

Matt is very limited as a college sports radio host. However, over the years, he has cultivated some pretty good contacts and his biggest contributions to sports journalism has been often being first to announce certain news, both good or bad. JMO

Peace

well I am an avid listener to his show but sometimes his points are just so radical especially when he doesn't back them up with facts. What he said today should have Mitch Barnhardt even shaking his head.

Reactions: phajlw
I don't listen to Jones but as I said on another thread, I think KSR plays a huge role in setting unrealistic expectations for football fans and then often leads the charge against the program when it comes up short of those expectations

Just curious as to what brought this on. I haven't been listening so did he say something on the radio today?

OMG the guy is unbelievably ignorant when it comes to football. He just said that we won 8 games two seasons in a row and then were put on probation. Uh no, that's not correct Matty boy 2006 and 2007 when Rich Brooks won 8 games in a row back to back we were off probation.

He really said that? Not doubting you, just shocked really?

He really said that? Not doubting you, just shocked really?

absolutely he said that. A caller had contended that KSR had a loser mentality when it comes to football and Matt responded with " We won 8 games two seasons in a row and we were on probation" The caller correctly informed him that was under Brooks and we were off probation by then but "typical" Matt was talking over the guy for him to hear it.

I don't listen to Jones but as I said on another thread, I think KSR plays a huge role in setting unrealistic expectations for football fans and then often leads the charge against the program when it comes up short of those expectations
Not today. He basically said that we should accept 6 or 7 wins and be happy. Folks wanting or expecting more are unrealistic. That kind of mindset is what has held UK football back for decades.

I've tried to listen on iheart radio to the show, but honestly I just couldn't take it.

Deleted iheart radio off my iphone just was a waste of time.

I am done after today. I love basketball but I don't need to hear it every minute of the show. We know how damn good they will be, but please give some positive vibes on football. I think this will be a special season.

absolutely he said that. A caller had contended that KSR had a loser mentality when it comes to football and Matt responded with " We won 8 games two seasons in a row and we were on probation" The caller correctly informed him that was under Brooks and we were off probation by then but "typical" Matt was talking over the guy for him to hear it.

I should be shocked, but not.

It's why I simply stopped trying to listen, was just a waste of my time.

When will LEX get a real sports show? Or am I missing a good one to tune into?

Not today. He basically said that we should accept 6 or 7 wins and be happy. Folks wanting or expecting more are unrealistic. That kind of mindset is what has held UK football back for decades.
don't doubt it but you look at the KSR website regularly and you see what I am talking about

It's not that he wants people to accept 6 or 7 wins annually. It's what he wants the ceiling to be for UK Football.

The way he has always talked about the FB team that is what it say's to me also.. I don't think he will ever change!!!

GBB

It's not that he wants people to accept 6 or 7 wins annually. It's what he wants the ceiling to be for UK Football.

If I'm reading this right, and again I stopped listening long ago now.

Do you think he doesn't want the football to succeed because it would take light off UK BBall?

Hell I love BOTH with an unbridled passion, plus UK Baseball and what ever UK is participating in.

If I'm reading this right, and again I stopped listening long ago now.

Do you think he doesn't want the football to succeed because it would take light off UK BBall?

Hell I love BOTH with an unbridled passion, plus UK Baseball and what ever UK is participating in.
I'm not saying he said that on KSR. I don't listen to KSR but once a year when he has the football coaches and Mingione on in the summer. But you do get the sense that he doesn't want football to take the light off BBall. I love everything UK too. I hold season tix for Football/Baseball/Softball

Last edited:
Unfortunately this UK BB trip to the Bahamas is sucking all the oxygen out of the room when it comes to UK sports coverage. I love my BB Cats, but I can wait until early November to start paying attention to them.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Maybe he was thinking of 1976 & 1977, but then again Matt Jones doesn't exactly strike me as a student of UK football history.

Yeah, I was driving and flipped over to the show around the end of it. The caller was making the point that the fans should expect 8 wins as an average and that past history shouldn't dictate the future or those expectations. Jones kept saying football has always been poor and therefore would always be poor and told the caller that expecting an average of 8 wins per season was dumb. He even painted the caller into a corner asking which teams should UK expect to beat every year, not on average or every other year...his question to the caller was what teams should UK essentially expect to beat in perpetuity, which was an ignorant angle to try to make a point.

Exasperated the caller kept trying to reason that the past is the past and that future expectations should be more...I think I heard him call Jones a dumbass as he hung up.

Main point I took from the exchange was that Jones was arguing that UK football would never be more than a 5-7 win team. Wow, and that's the supposed UK mouthpiece? What a joke.

Yeah, I was driving and flipped over to the show around the end of it. The caller was making the point that the fans should expect 8 wins as an average and that past history shouldn't dictate the future or those expectations. Jones kept saying football has always been poor and therefore would always be poor and told the caller that expecting an average of 8 wins per season was dumb. He even painted the caller into a corner asking which teams should UK expect to beat every year, not on average or every other year...his question to the caller was what teams should UK essentially expect to beat in perpetuity, which was an ignorant angle to try to make a point.

Exasperated the caller kept trying to reason that the past is the past and that future expectations should be more...I think I heard him call Jones a dumbass as he hung up.

Main point I took from the exchange was that Jones was arguing that UK football would never be more than a 5-7 win team. Wow, and that's the supposed UK mouthpiece? What a joke.

Yep I did too and he deserved it. Jones doesn't let anybody make their point he always talks over them

I went to listen to the live show this morning at Shilo's Steak House in London. I don't know if it was cut out, but the caller called Matt a dumbass at the very end. Everyone in the room laughed and Matt did too.

I don't agree with Matt about his football take, but I also don't believe he doesn't want the football program to be successful.

Maybe Matt will pull a Trump and come out and say "just kidding, I misspoke".

Thanks for the summary. Now I won't have to listen since that's probably the totality of sports coverage on the show for today.

No question his position is absolutely absurd. UK has won less than 8 games for 60 years because for 55 of those 60 years we had an administration and fan base that simply didn't care. There is no logical reason why we can't win 6 to 7 games even in bad years and 8+ in really good years. We've just chose not to do so.

And I'm really glad to see the caller point out that past results do not indicate future expectations. That's always bad logic and it's the type of bad logic that Matt's been prone to over the years.

I went to listen to the live show this morning at Shilo's Steak House in London. I don't know if it was cut out, but the caller called Matt a dumbass at the very end. Everyone in the room laughed and Matt did too.

I don't agree with Matt about his football take, but I also don't believe he doesn't want the football program to be successful.

Maybe Matt will pull a Trump and come out and say "just kidding, I misspoke".

He talked over that guy especially when he was trying to correct Matt about the "probation comment". He uses that cute phrase "facts are optional" like it's supposed to mask that he has no idea what he's talking about concerning football.

Thanks for the summary. Now I won't have to listen since that's probably the totality of sports coverage on the show for today.

No question his position is absolutely absurd. UK has won less than 8 games for 60 years because for 55 of those 60 years we had an administration and fan base that simply didn't care. There is no logical reason why we can't win 6 to 7 games even in bad years and 8+ in really good years. We've just chose not to do so.

And I'm really glad to see the caller point out that past results do not indicate future expectations. That's always bad logic and it's the type of bad logic that Matt's been prone to over the years.
I wouldn't say the "administration and fan base didn't care". Matt brought up a good point today when he said football didn't matter as much 25 years ago in financial terms.

Now there is so much money coming into football, it truly is a cash cow that needs to be fed and taken care of.

I’ve heard Matt say before that winning in football would mean more $$$$ for his show . We win more, ppl would call in, rating increase. I can’t see any reason from a business standpoint why Matt would want a ceiling on wins.

I’ve heard Matt say before that winning in football would mean more $$$$ for his show . We win more, ppl would call in, rating increase. I can’t see any reason from a business standpoint why Matt would want a ceiling on wins.
Would or wouldn't......who knows anymore.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
ADVERTISEMENT