ADVERTISEMENT

Thiero

He doesn't shoot the three anywhere near well enough to play in Pope's offense, unfortunately.
He shot decently enough. Needs more confidence; but when he let's it fly, it's a very good looking shot, form, etc.

Of all the players who would benefit in coming back, Adou is the one who would benefit most. Perhaps Z as well. Cal was ruining Adou, making him in to physical slasher with no slide step, or step backs off the dribble. Adous uniques talents are is ball handling and shooting for his size. Cal did the same to Poythress. Never developed an off the dribble game. I’d pay him. He would be a team leader immediately.

Last edited:
Even Coach Clown 🤡 was right saying all he needs is to be a consistent shooter to be a lottery pick. In Pope's offensive scheme he could do that and greatly benefit.

Reactions: NuttinButtLove
Id love for Thiero, Z and Reed to come back. Maybe convince Fland or Richmond to stay. Bring Jaxson and another guy or 2 from BYU and fill the rest of the roster with portal guys and let's go to work.
This set up would be perfect!! As far as current players and commits transfering, I will wish them well (although like your list above, I would want them to stay). I just don't want them to go to Arkansas and Cal.

• Love
Reactions: westerncat
He doesn't shoot the three anywhere near well enough to play in Pope's offense, unfortunately.
see below
Thiero doesn’t fit into popes philosophy
see below
he may not shoot well enough for the Pope system.
see below
A summer with 3 point tutoring with Popes assistants could make him our starter.
This is what I am hoping for. If Pope wants him and thinks he can turn him into a three point threat, it would be awesome to combine that with his man strength, rebounding d and Total Dudeness.
not sure he would fit popes system very well ... popes offense has a lot of skilled shooters.
see above
Every system needs balance.
Pope’s system needs five shooters on the floor at all times….. that’s his idea of balance, IMHO. See above
I really like Thiero as a contributing piece, but Pope’s offense revolves around having a lot of shooters, and Thiero isn’t exactly a monster threat.
see above
BYU 3PT% among top 7 shooters
35.4%
38.5%
37.0%
29.7%
35.9%
31.5%
36.4%

Thiero - 32.3% career
If Pope thinks he can improve him a little but… that’s a fit. I hope that is the case and Theiro is opmne to that… and some NIL love.
Pope will have to adjust his system if he wants to get “some dudes” here.
IMHO Pope will not adjust his system, we are a system program now.

The priorities are now:
1. Must be able to shoot
2. Must have a high BB IQ to know when to shoot, cut, curl, slip, etc.
3. Athlete (Dude)

Not many are all three. Can he recruit those that are all three…. I dunno…. can’t be many and they will be in high demand

Reactions: JPFisher
Those saying that Thiero doesn’t fit into a system because he can’t shoot are crazy. This team NEEDS bangers and defensive players. The Cats were soft down low last year and it showed when playing the likes of A&M, Florida, TN, Gonzaga etc…. If you want to live by the 3 you die by the 3. You become Auburn. You become what this team was this past year. I think the bigger need to keep in the fold would be Onyenso. Without bangers, you can’t adjust against more physical teams. I.e burns for NC state. Until he ran up against Edey, he was having his way through the tournament.

Reactions: tf4fun
see below

see below

see below

This is what I am hoping for. If Pope wants him and thinks he can turn him into a three point threat, it would be awesome to combine that with his man strength, rebounding d and Total Dudeness.

see above

Pope’s system needs five shooters on the floor at all times….. that’s his idea of balance, IMHO. See above

see above

If Pope thinks he can improve him a little but… that’s a fit. I hope that is the case and Theiro is opmne to that… and some NIL love.

IMHO Pope will not adjust his system, we are a system program now.

The priorities are now:
1. Must be able to shoot
2. Must have a high BB IQ to know when to shoot, cut, curl, slip, etc.
3. Athlete (Dude)

Not many are all three. Can he recruit those that are all three…. I dunno…. can’t be many and they will be in high demand
This makes me question this hire more! If he can't adapt his system to get a Towns, Cousins, Jones, ECT. It will make it very difficult to become dominant like UConn. You have to have a strong defensive presence inside! UConn presence inside is what AL couldn't overcome!
Great defenders inside normally aren't good 3 point shooters!

Reactions: jman0104
Actually, he does.
He should be able to hit 32-35% If pope can't use a Thiero it will become very difficult to build a winning roster. If he doesn't get a lot more athletic,stronger, longer, faster, then BYU he will not win. Rick Pitino went that way mid 90's. That won him a championship.

Done with Kentucky or done with Cal?

Or just finished w Cal?

If we can say players just came because of Cal then a reasonable conclusion are that many left just because of Cal as well I’d think.
Cal which could lead to Cal and KY. Sometimes one leads to another.
Cal screwed him around putting Edwards ahead of him. Then there were things said about his injury.
Might just be ready for a fresh start somewhere else. Couldn’t really blame him.

I will miss Thiero terribly, and would gladly take him back. But I think he and his dad have no interest in playing at Kentucky. I think they will go to the highest bidder. And that's fine. Get your money. I understand. I think he'll have a fine NBA career. Not overseas, but in the NBA. I love Thiero. But, he doesn't seem to be a good fit in what Pope will probably trying to do.

Reactions: ukfan041
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT