ADVERTISEMENT

Make the case that we get #9 by 2019

For recruitniks and others who follow player development and other teams' rosters and recruits, explain the path of how / why we either win it this year or next.
I've thought for a while that 2019 looked like a good year to win it all with several returning players plus some elites from the 2018 class.

Because anyone can get hot at the end of the year and we'll have the talent to back that up? Same formula as nearly everyone...

UK getting #9 by 2019? Yeah Right! That ain't gonna happen!...signed, John Higgins...
ap_ncaa_kentucky_north_carolina_basketball.jpg

UK getting #9 by 2019? Yeah Right! That ain't gonna happen!...signed, John Higgins...
ap_ncaa_kentucky_north_carolina_basketball.jpg

If that guy is allowed to ref another UK tournament game I will start some serious spamming of the ncaa and espn among others that they won't want. (Yes, Elizabeth, I can back it up...) No way any sane, legitimate organization would let that catastrophe of a ref, referee another UK tournament game. Period...

For recruitniks and others who follow player development and other teams' rosters and recruits, explain the path of how / why we either win it this year or next.

I like the makeup of this class/team. Reminds me of Cal's old DDM Memphis squads with 4-5 interchangeable long athletic players who can drive, clean the glass and defend multiple positions.

In either the 2018 or 2019 NCAA men's basketball tournament, UK will have to win 6 straight games.

The 2017-18 team reaches the elite 8 before the season comes to an end. Diallo/Knox/Richards/Vando/PJ declare for NBA draft. Left over from this year are Wenyen & SKJ who would going into their junior seasons, Baker, Quade & Shai. Ideally we get RJ Barrett, Zion, Quickley & Louis King.

2018-19 team looks like...

PG: Quickley/Quade
SG: Shai/Baker
SF: RJ/Wenyen
PF: Zion/King
C: SKJ/Tai

That to me is a team with a lot of firepower. Elite freshmen talent with enough experience to guide them to a championship. That roster brings home #9.

Reactions: Century Cat
The 2017-18 team reaches the elite 8 before the season comes to an end. Diallo/Knox/Richards/Vando/PJ declare for NBA draft. Left over from this year are Wenyen & SKJ who would going into their junior seasons, Baker, Quade & Shai. Ideally we get RJ Barrett, Zion, Quickley & Louis King.

2018-19 team looks like...

PG: Quickley/Quade
SG: Shai/Baker
SF: RJ/Wenyen
PF: Zion/King
C: SKJ/Tai

That to me is a team with a lot of firepower. Elite freshmen talent with enough experience to guide them to a championship. That roster brings home #9.

Any team with Barrett and Williamson has a great shot.

For the upcoming season, individuals who are saying it's Duke's to lose due to acquiring Bagley fail to realize that the tournament is guard-dominated.

In the last 10 years how many title-winning teams were victorious because of a Center ?

1 - 2012 and Mr. Davis (special player, very rare talent)

Even then you could argue that because he wasn't scoring he wasn't the main reason we won. I'm not agreeing with that, as I do believe he was key to the victory.

UConn's titles were due to guard play (Walker, Napier, Boatright)
UNC - ditto and cheating (please don't say Hansbrough........Lawson was the key).
Florida was very balanced
Kansas - Chalmers
Duke - Butler lost (barely) and Jones/Winslow
Cards - Siva/Smith

Point being, if our guards really deliver, we have as good a shot as anybody to be crowned champions in San Antonio.

You know supposingly, its the "luck of the draw", they say ;) in who you play in the tournament and what area you are put in but we really haven't gotten a break in that department since Cal has been here. We've lost some games but it takes a very solid squad to keep winning against some of the teams we have had to beat to get to the FF. Maintaining a high degree of efficiency with mostly top freshmen players is tough and we've not always been able to get away with playing that one bad game without it biting us in the butt. And I won't even bring up officiating.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
For most, it's going to be the law of averages. We have been closer than a lot of negative fans would like to admit. There is a good chance that both this year and next year will yield at least an elite eight run (as it has happened 6 out of Cal's 8 years), and once you get that far, you are just a couple of breaks away from a championship.

For me, I actually think the best shot is this year. We will probably only go 7-8 deep, but it wouldn't be out of the question to go 10 deep. The fact that Green, Diallo, Knox, Washington, SKJ can go against SGA, Baker, Vanderbilt, Gabriel, Richards every day says that they are likely to improve faster than most teams, and will likely have more competition in practice than 95% of their games. Baker is the only non top 40 recruit in that list, and most were top 25. Because of the depth, fouls and injuries become much less of a factor, and honestly they should be one of the best defensive groups we have seen. My prediction is a lot of people are underestimating how good this team can actually be. If they do gel, it could get ugly for opposing teams, even good ones.

Because of that, I don't think we will return very many players, and though we will bring in some top talent next year, I don't see us having near the depth we will have this coming year. But hey, we could just go back to back with 2 completely different teams, that'd show em.

We get number 9 this year. Next year we get what we need to repeat. Long live Cal. Cal forever RP and K NEVER. Puke on a Card.

Very simple....we have teams capable almost every year. All those teams that are capable have reached al least the Elite 8....which is 6 out of 8 of Cal's teams here. It all comes down to a shot here & shot there. If we're in position with a capable team it will eventually happen. Could very well happen more than once. Could very well not happen at all.

Reactions: VikingCat21
It's a crap shoot every year. Sometimes the best team wins, more often than not they don't. But it almost always ends up being one of a handful of the top teams and all you can do is be one of those top teams that has a chance and hope you get some of the luck that is required to win 6 in a row in March. Last year is a good example. UNC makes that last second shot to beat us and go to the final four. If he misses, we probably beat them in OT and we advance to another FF. That's just the way it goes in the NCAA Tourney. Cal almost always has us in that group that can win it all. Just a matter of time before we win it again.

Kentucky's perimeter defense will be pure hell to try and score on once march rolls around. Something is also telling me that Richards is severely underrated as well, he had some of the best measurables at the world games..

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

Not big on the zone but I like the idea of a gigantic f'n lineup

Interesting.

So, is that:

G Diallo
G Knox
F Vanderbilt
F Washington or Gabriel
F Richards or Killeya-Jones

Would Cal run Vanderbilt as the 1 (Point Forward) on offense?

That puts Diallo and Knox as scorers on the wing.

Or does Diallo run the point as more of a scoring Point Guard?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT