ADVERTISEMENT

Are we recruiting the wrong Basketball Players???

etowncatfan

All-SEC
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2003
Seems like every player we recruit is Soft. Finess type players who dont want to mix it up. Who is our Enforcer?? Seems like we have been getting pushed around for awhile. Even Oscar was not MEAN enough. We know in the NCAA Tournament the Refs tend to swallow the whistle. We know to win in the Tournament you have to win games when you dont get to play your style. Close games where one player wills you a Win.

I dont see that on our team. People say we have all these NBA players.. Maybe Dillingham. Wagner is slow, cant defend, and has one move which is to drive to the left and try some Circus Shot. Reeves is a shooter. Plenty of shooters in the NBA who also defend. Bradshaw. Too inconsistent on his Jumper. Not strong enough to be a force down under the Basket. Big Z. Shoots well for a Big but get pushed around as well. Shepherd. At times looks unbeatable. Love his motor. But disappears at times as well. Not fast or quick enough to stay in front of his man. Edwards a LOST CAUSE.

All Recruited by Calipari. So Cal is recruiting players who will be great Pro players but below average College players. What makes a GOOD College player?? Players who have an Attitude. Players who are thick and GOOD Basketball Players who have been told they won't make the NBA. Players who stay 3-4 years. Players who arent trying to force it to impress NBA Scouts. Which leads us to a Coach who plays the players that give you the best chance at winning games and not worrying about trying to get them to the League.

We hit the Jackpot in 2012 and 2015. But how many years have we missed?

Bradshaw was a weird fit. Feel like Cal only recruited him because he played with DJ. He’s not the type of player Cal excels with.

Reactions: etowncatfan
Yes. The problem is these other teams (A&M and South Carolina) know they can’t match up skill wise so they have to turn it into a football game.

That one dude on Carolina looked like a 45 year old Karl Malone. Look at him then look at guys like edwards and dillingham. He’s probably a 26 year old 7th year senior against 18 year old freshmen.

I just made a post about this. They either need to get back to traditional rules or change the rule book completely. I’m all about physicality in parts of the game but not in every phase.

In recent years, every time the team begins to falter in a season, these threads pop up and say "well those players or player X aren't really good enough to play at UK".

Even if true - it's not, though - that's all still on Cal in terms of recruiting and development and adjusting playing strategy to his team's strengths and weaknesses.

I don’t think we’re recruiting the wrong people, it’s the coaching that’s lacking. “Get in there and beat your man” seems to be his only offensive plan. When that doesn’t work, rinse and repeat. Refusal to adjust on defense is another Cal trait.
And the culture that Cal has created, and now the Portal/NIL lets none of the better players hang around for a second, third year.
I’m ready for Cal to leave and have been for several years. I don’t care who replaces him as long as he goes.

Last edited:
In recent years, every time the team begins to falter in a season, these threads pop up and say "well those players or player X aren't really good enough to play at UK".

Even if true - it's not, though - that's all still on Cal in terms of recruiting and development and adjusting playing strategy to his team's strengths and weaknesses.
I didn’t ask if X players were good enough to play at UK. Everyone of them are. My premise is are even Elite Freshmen developed enough physically and mentally to compete at the highest National Level??? Is this the best model? Has it been the last several years? I’m not saying not to recruit these kids. But your main job is to win ball games and to compete for the National Championship. Not audition them for the NBA. I feel Calipari only thinks of the latter.

I didn’t ask if X players were good enough to play at UK. Everyone of them are. My premise is are even Elite Freshmen developed enough physically and mentally to compete at the highest National Level??? Is this the best model? Has it been the last several years? I’m not saying not to recruit these kids. But your main job is to win ball games and to compete for the National Championship. Not audition them for the NBA. I feel Calipari only thinks of the latter.
I agree with you there. His top priority is not the UK basketball program. Once everyone accepts that, a lot of what we see going on isn't quite as confusing.

Seems like every player we recruit is Soft. Finess type players who dont want to mix it up. Who is our Enforcer?? Seems like we have been getting pushed around for awhile. Even Oscar was not MEAN enough. We know in the NCAA Tournament the Refs tend to swallow the whistle. We know to win in the Tournament you have to win games when you dont get to play your style. Close games where one player wills you a Win.

I dont see that on our team. People say we have all these NBA players.. Maybe Dillingham. Wagner is slow, cant defend, and has one move which is to drive to the left and try some Circus Shot. Reeves is a shooter. Plenty of shooters in the NBA who also defend. Bradshaw. Too inconsistent on his Jumper. Not strong enough to be a force down under the Basket. Big Z. Shoots well for a Big but get pushed around as well. Shepherd. At times looks unbeatable. Love his motor. But disappears at times as well. Not fast or quick enough to stay in front of his man. Edwards a LOST CAUSE.

All Recruited by Calipari. So Cal is recruiting players who will be great Pro players but below average College players. What makes a GOOD College player?? Players who have an Attitude. Players who are thick and GOOD Basketball Players who have been told they won't make the NBA. Players who stay 3-4 years. Players who arent trying to force it to impress NBA Scouts. Which leads us to a Coach who plays the players that give you the best chance at winning games and not worrying about trying to get them to the League.

Society is soft. Therefore so are 95% of athletes. It's a societal issue and every team has mostly "soft" players. Sure they have moments of not being soft but overall most of them are soft because they've been raised in a soft world .

Banchero
Brandon Miller
Cade Cunningham
Jabari Smith
Anthony Edwards
They are there, we just haven't been singing them.

Banchero
Brandon Miller
Cade Cunningham
Jabari Smith
Anthony Edwards
They are there, we just haven't been singing them.
So, you’re saying that UK is just not recruiting well enough, and the problem is they’re not getting the right 5-star OADs? If so, then not much room for error there is it?

ccc hasn't been recruiting basketball players until this year. He mostly recruited athletes that had absolutely zero fundamentals. this group has some fundamentals, but they need some guidance, some plays to get open looks or back door cuts. that just doesn't happen with ccc. they give up way too many open 3 point shots. they don't rebound unless the ball falls into their lap. ccc allows the players & their posse tell him where they are going to play. Bradshaw was soft in high school & blocked very few shots, playing inside. Suddenly, in college he is the next Kevin Durant. Have said since the summer that he can not shoot & he has proven me correct. He has trouble scoring in the paint. Put the 7 footers in the paint & give them the ball where they can score. There have been countless times over the years, including this year that someone is posted up in the paint & the guard doesn't get the ball inside, but passes it to someone else around the perimeter. It is absolutely ridiculous that major college players have zero fundamentals. Coach Rupp, Hall & Pitino would have jerked them out in a second and tore them a new butt for not getting the ball inside. Sad that UK pays 9 million a year for this kind of grade school coaching.

Reactions: know1
Nobody in the country would have turned down any of our top 5 ranked freshmen. It's not who we recruited; it's who is getting the playing time and how they are being coached(or not coached).

Last edited:
Nobody in the country would have turned down any of our top 5 ranked freshmen. It's now who we recruited; it's who is getting the playing time and how they are being coached(or not coached).
You are correct. I wonder how many Coaches would be honest with their players and recommend that they stay an extra year rather than show them the door?

Reactions: yoshukai

Teams are usually a reflection of their coach.

Reactions: etowncatfan
There is just something different with THESE elite players, as opposed to the ones back when Wall and AD were the top guys.

Blame AAU, blame society, blame whoever. But there is just something different about today's recruits than 15 years ago.

Reactions: RunninRichie

Yes we are. Calipari cannot have a great team without a center that can hold his ground, protect the rim, and can also score to compliment the guards. Think Cousins and Towns. He hasn't had any centers that fit that description since 2015. Not getting the guy that went to Kansas killed this team.

Yes. The problem is these other teams (A&M and South Carolina) know they can’t match up skill wise so they have to turn it into a football game.

That one dude on Carolina looked like a 45 year old Karl Malone. Look at him then look at guys like edwards and dillingham. He’s probably a 26 year old 7th year senior against 18 year old freshmen.

I just made a post about this. They either need to get back to traditional rules or change the rule book completely. I’m all about physicality in parts of the game but not in every phase.
Tenn played 4 Juniors and 3 Seniors.

ccc hasn't been recruiting basketball players until this year. He mostly recruited athletes that had absolutely zero fundamentals. this group has some fundamentals, but they need some guidance, some plays to get open looks or back door cuts. that just doesn't happen with ccc. they give up way too many open 3 point shots. they don't rebound unless the ball falls into their lap. ccc allows the players & their posse tell him where they are going to play. Bradshaw was soft in high school & blocked very few shots, playing inside. Suddenly, in college he is the next Kevin Durant. Have said since the summer that he can not shoot & he has proven me correct. He has trouble scoring in the paint. Put the 7 footers in the paint & give them the ball where they can score. There have been countless times over the years, including this year that someone is posted up in the paint & the guard doesn't get the ball inside, but passes it to someone else around the perimeter. It is absolutely ridiculous that major college players have zero fundamentals. Coach Rupp, Hall & Pitino would have jerked them out in a second and tore them a new butt for not getting the ball inside. Sad that UK pays 9 million a year for this kind of grade school coaching.
Despite our lack of an inside game, we are averaging 90 points. Offense is not our problem.

Reactions: plumdog69
You are correct. I wonder how many Coaches would be honest with their players and recommend that they stay an extra year rather than show them the door?
Do you develop more with a second year of college or a full-time commitment to improvement at the pro level, if you know you will be drafted ??

Reactions: plumdog69
1. Player are older .....there are 5th year/6th year players at the BCS schools now and first year players no matter how talented are having problems going against grown men that are good college players at the BCS level.

2. Psychologically , Cal telling players its a long season........ well just remember that Toppin said after getting blown out to Gonzaga last year .... giving the players the ok to not care , you're going to get players that dont care until its "oh sh*t we might miss the tournament" which has been the team the past 4 years and seems like it will take that this time around too the way things are going.

3. He recruits to such a players first degree that people think they can protect their draft stock and other things......... cal will protect them and let them walk all over him. severe lack of discipline to the point its coaching malpractice. For the first several years players were hungry...... but over time players grow up knowing UK is players first and what players can get away with and it becomes a culture of the winning mindset players wont come play for Cal.. those elite recruits want to play for coaches who arent the joke on the basketball scene and yes , in the basketball world everyone has been talking about Cal like a joke for a few years now. We do get some top recruits that truly care but its like 2 out of 5 or 1 out of 4 , we no longer get 4-5 top ranked recruits that have that hunger to do whatever it takes to win., those guys go play for coaches who still have their fast ball.

Depends if you get drafted.
I may be expecting way too much of these kids, but wouldn't having most of them study "sports management" or something (so that when they are done playing they can coach), and a guarantee from the NBA that they will be slotted into the draft, help? I feel like a lot of them really do enjoy the college game but let their fears regarding being drafted get in the way of everything.

Reactions: G-PIP
I don’t understand Stoops or Calipari
75% of players should be portal players
This is a no brainer 22/23 yr olds vs 18/19
Huge difference in maturity and strength
Take 1 or maybe 2 Freshman in basketball
This is UK we should have the best transfers available in hoops - they can make straight cash in Lexington drive new cars

I think Cal hoped he would be an Anthony Davis type player but as of right now he isn't even a Dollar Tree version of AD.
Honestly, you could watch a few minutes of video of him and see he's not Anthony Davis. I think he's got potential. But, he needs to add good weight and he needs to be at UK for 2-3 years. But we all know how this goes by now. The chances of anyone coming back that had 5-stars next to their name coming out of high school is slim. The Nick Richards of the world are rare at UK.

I don’t think we’re recruiting the wrong people, it’s the coaching that’s lacking. “Get in there and beat your man” seems to be his only offensive plan. When that doesn’t work, rinse and repeat. Refusal to adjust on defense is another Cal trait.
And the culture that Cal has created, and now the Portal/NIL lets none of the better players hang around for a second, third year.
I’m ready for Cal to leave and have been for several years. I don’t care who replaces him as long as he goes.
This is one of the top offensive teams in the nation. Just put up 90+ points on the second best defensive team in the entire nation. Sooooo, I'm not sure I understand why you're criticizing the offense?? Just makes you look ignorant, honestly.

Defense sucks. Absolutely. Defense is horrendous. Terrible. Apathetic. Disinterested. Non-existant

Honestly, you could watch a few minutes of video of him and see he's not Anthony Davis. I think he's got potential. But, he needs to add good weight and he needs to be at UK for 2-3 years. But we all know how this goes by now. The chances of anyone coming back that had 5-stars next to their name coming out of high school is slim. The Nick Richards of the world are rare at UK.
Sadly our past history with one and done players makes guys who do not go the NBA after 1 year feel like they need to move to another school to reach their full potential apparently. Guys like Wiltjer, Brooks, Hopkins, Fletcher and Matthews all come to mind.

Reactions: G-PIP

To the OP's point: go back and watch the little scuffle from the Tennessee game. The Tennessee players were LOVING it - they knew they were the alphas and UK were the soft betas. All those Tennessee players were PUMPED for the scuffle. Just wasn't the same with the UK guys. I thought it was very indicative of the mindset. You can tell those Tenn players battle in practice, go after each other, make it a slugfest.

I don’t understand Stoops or Calipari
75% of players should be portal players
This is a no brainer 22/23 yr olds vs 18/19
Huge difference in maturity and strength
Take 1 or maybe 2 Freshman in basketball
This is UK we should have the best transfers available in hoops - they can make straight cash in Lexington drive new cars
When Cal took Bradshaw's commitment, no coach in America knew that Dickenson was going to be in the portal.
Bradshaw would have definitely de commuted had we got HD.
In hindsight that looks like a good trade but that will kill HS recruiting if you recruit over them with older portal OAD's.
Barnes went hard after Edwards and probably would not have landed Knenct if he had got him.
Which of our current recruits would you not have offered?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT