ADVERTISEMENT

How have we improved this season?

chroix

All-SEC
Jul 22, 2013
I asked this question two weeks ago and got a lot of pushback but I think it is clearer to people now. How have we improved? Have we improved at all?

I think you could make a good case we've regressed rather than progressed and was a major source of concern for me earlier this season. That led me to wonder, have any of our teams improved over the course of the season since the 2019 squad or have they all started out at their peak and declined over the course of the season?

Also I'd like to include that in my mind adding pieces does not necessarily equate to improving. This seemed to be a popular counter argument and I just don't think you can say we've improved as a team as a result. Ugo's individual numbers have been great, but we've got multiple Ls since he's been available.

I asked this question two weeks ago and got a lot of pushback but I think it is clearer to people now. How have we improved? Have we improved at all?

I think you could make a good case we've regressed rather than progressed and was a major source of concern for me earlier this season. That led me to wonder, have any of our teams improved over the course of the season since the 2019 squad or have they all started out at their peak and declined over the course of the season?

Also I'd like to include that in my mind adding pieces does not necessarily equate to improving. This seemed to be a popular counter argument and I just don't think you can say we've improved as a team as a result. Ugo's individual numbers have been great, but we've got multiple Ls since he's been available.
The Cats have not improved, if anything it seems they are regressing.

Well we definitely haven't improved.
We've gotten worse.

But TBH, we knew the reality of this season weeks ago. This team is what it is. A very good offensive team but a poor defense.

This team isn't on the level of UT.
This team isn't on the level of Auburn.
Not Alabama either.

We have definitely regressed. This is not remotely close to the same team that all but beat Kansas, boat raced Miami, and beat UNC. The more time cal spends with this team the worse they get and some continue defending this clown at all cost. No true UK fan can still do that with a straight face.

We were never in that game last night. If we ever led, I don’t remember it. And any time we got close, they pushed the lead on us. After we closed the lead to four points at half time, after Tennessee had that large lead, I thought by the end we would win by a comfortable margin. I was wrong. The only thing that kept it under a twenty point loss, was Tennessee refusing to foul in the last 4 minutes and allowing Dillingham to shoot lay ups pretty much at will while they drained free throws for our intentional fouling. I feel sick to my stomach this morning.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
It's amazing how just a few weeks ago people were killed Parrish for not having us in his top 10.

This team was never a top 10 team.

Reactions: chroix
I truely can't think of one thing. The next question is how can we change this. I'm going to beat this dead horse once again, mix in some dam zone, we just gave up 103 points, another team hit their season high on threes against us, we would at least save energy for the offense end. Anyone who has played basketball knows you exert about half as much energy playing zone. Try pressing the other team see if they can handle it and players actually like playing this style.

We're one year closer to Cal being gone. I guess that's improvement.

Last edited:

This team plays no defense at all. I have never seen Uk teams give up so may easy shots. They make every team look like the Denver Nuggets. The Vols offensively are average at best and they made them look like Uk of 1996 sickening defense and NO desire for loose balls or rebounds. If somebody else coached this talent final four for sure.

Well, we, for one thing, need more experienced players. Take Reed, for example. He is a very polished offensive player, one of the more efficient one out there. But his defensive skills really damage his value as a starter. I know he is a leader in a few categories, but those categories just show his lack of quickness in GUARDING HIS FREAKING man. He needs a lot of weight room work in the next three off seasons to develope quickness and when he’s a junior or senior, he should have developed the skilled to be a lock down player. I’m sorry I’m venting, but watching yesterday’s game is hard to get out of my mind.

Well, we, for one thing, need more experienced players. Take Reed, for example. He is a very polished offensive player, one of the more efficient one out there. But his defensive skills really damage his value as a starter. I know he is a leader in a few categories, but those categories just show his lack of quickness in GUARDING HIS FREAKING man. He needs a lot of weight room work in the next three off seasons to develope quickness and when he’s a junior or senior, he should have developed the skilled to be a lock down player. I’m sorry I’m venting, but watching yesterday’s game is hard to get out of my mind.

Then again one of our most experienced players is Reeves and he's not good on defense either.

Total and complete regression...while others teams have been coached up, we've been coached down by Couch Cal. At least we had some foot washings.

I can't remember a worse defensive team ever, even Clyde's teams, while clearly void of collective talent, were more cohesive defensively.

Agreed. I think Barnes is right. Effort is a skill just like shooting or dribbling. It obviously is not the one JC worries about in his recruiting analysis.

We just can't seem to get the right mix lately.
There's talent here and we've had some real talented teams even post 15, but we just seem to not get the mix correct at all.

This team can score with anyone. If they could just guard a little bit, we'd be fine this year. But it's just not happening and I'm not sure this is something that gets or even could be fixed.

We just can't seem to get the right mix lately.
There's talent here and we've had some real talented teams even post 15, but we just seem to not get the mix correct at all.

This team can score with anyone. If they could just guard a little bit, we'd be fine this year. But it's just not happening and I'm not sure this is something that gets or even could be fixed.

I think they’re a reflection of the coach. He lacks passion and focus, they lack passion and focus.

I think they’re a reflection of the coach. He lacks passion and focus, they lack passion and focus.

It's just odd. Like Cal has forgotten what made those teams prior to 15 so good.

3 7 footers that none can really seem to protect the rim (tho I will say Ugo playing more has helped).
We have guards that have no issues getting by their guy on offense but can't keep anyone in front of them on defense.

How many inbounds plays did UT score off of on wide open shots.

It's a shame. Because this team at least offense is IMO one of the most exciting teams we've had in quite some time here.

10 games left in the season.

I just wish this narrative of Cal's teams play for March would end.

We have 1, maybe 2 games a year the program can hang its hat on and the rest of the season is just a slog of each game being a repeat of the others

Isn't it the same year in and year out. We get a number 1 or 2 class of talent yearly. We see them play no names and they are running them out of the gym. We then play a contender in one of the classics and get beat. We then think we have it figured out by playing more bennies. Then all of a sudden we get to the real games and we are mediocre at best. Last night we played a team of returning players some 25 years old and we see boys playing men. The NBA prep system will not win and has not worked for Cal. For him this is his legacy to put all the players he can into the league. All he cares about is just that. He schedules all the bennies to make his winning record, he will never win more than that. I am an old man that loves UK Basketball, he is killing our program and there is nothing we can do other than quit watching and buying tickets. The fool's gold that he is selling will not be bought by me anymore. I am done with Cal, he is the worst thing to ever happen to the University of Kentucky imo and nothing he can do will change how I feel about him period.

Reactions: G-PIP and chroix
Total and complete regression...while others teams have been coached up, we've been coached down by Couch Cal. At least we had some foot washings.

I can't remember a worse defensive team ever, even Clyde's teams, while clearly void of collective talent, were more cohesive defensively.
Foot washings lmao

Foot washings lmao
dBFjbLh.png

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
It's amazing how just a few weeks ago people were killed Parrish for not having us in his top 10.

This team was never a top 10 team.
I disagree. We were a top 10 team early, imo. Recently we haven’t even been close to that.

I'm just at a loss how this team is getting worse at defense

In the course of 2 weeks we've gone from final four contender to concern if we'll get out of the first weekend

DJ Wagner being out is not the reason 2 UT players had career nights

Reactions: jedwar
KenPom actually says we are regressing. Went from at one point the #2 offensive team to the #8 offensive team. Defensively, our high point was in the 40’s, it is now #102.

KenPom actually says we are regressing. Went from at one point the #2 offensive team to the #8 offensive team. Defensively, our high point was in the 40’s, it is now #102.

In SEC play, we've given up 1.13 points per possession. Only Missouri's defense is worse than that.

Offense scores 1.13. Defense gives up 1.13. No surprise we are a .500 SEC team right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT