ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of seats available

mdlUK.1

All-American
Dec 23, 2002
Per KSR this morning, there are a LOT of seats still available. I would think after a 10 win season, it would be close to full. Supposed to be great weather too.

they'll be a ton of walk up fans, but no having a marquee opponent the first week with a noon game just isn't going to sell out. Football people know Toledo is a good team, but most just see it as not an SEC team.

Just saw that Florida game is already sold out.
Hence that people prefer tougher opponents than Toledo to attend games. Pretty clear we draw way better against better teams, yet people continue to like our weak schedule. Ok, then don't wonder why attendance isn't higher.

Just purchased mine from ticketmaster resale, first row at the 50 yard line, and not too expensive either. Will be the closest I’ve ever sat, I’m hyped. According to the map there seemed to be plenty available in the corners, unfortunately.

KSR writer posted that Greek events are that day so about 5,000 students will be skipping the game for that.
Only at UK. That is very lame and ridiculous. I hope someday our students and Greeks understand we are in the SEC.

Well we are going to continue to win with them or without them. I did not miss one football game or basketball game in my 4 years at UK.

Only at UK. That is very lame and ridiculous. I hope someday our students and Greeks understand we are in the SEC.

Well we are going to continue to win with them or without them. I did not miss one football game or basketball game in my 4 years at UK.
If memory serves me, and it usually doesn't, it's some odd rule UK has that is forcing this Greek week stuff to interfere with the game.

Hence that people prefer tougher opponents than Toledo to attend games. Pretty clear we draw way better against better teams, yet people continue to like our weak schedule. Ok, then don't wonder why attendance isn't higher.
There are some predicting aToledo win. By all accounts, it should be a good game. I guess you want us to play Bama and Clemson every game? Then whine when we lose.

The average Joe fan has zero interest in paying money and spending time going to watch an SEC team play a MAC team. The folks on here are mostly hardcore so we will attend but otherwise, no way. It's a college football problem not just a UK problem. There are way too many of these Power 5 teams v. MAC, Sun Belt, FCS. It is AWFUL.

There are some predicting aToledo win. By all accounts, it should be a good game. I guess you want us to play Bama and Clemson every game? Then whine when we lose.
Attendance would be higher. As I said, choose weak or high attendance.

Ill be there. But I agree that opening the season with a MAC school isnt ideal. People can agree or disagree with me, dont care, put Indiana back on and open with them every year.

ULL-Mississippi State have only sold 14,000 tickets for their neutral site game in the super dome.

Reactions: ganner918
Yea the Sororities are having Rush Week the girls involved in this will not be at game.

The opponent should not be an excuse for this. This is week 1. It should not matter who the heck we are playing. Everyone should be excited to get the chance to see who we are as a football team in 2019 and excited that football is back. That alone should bring fans into the stands. I think this argument works for a game in the middle of October, but doesn't really care a lot of weight for game 1, IMO.

Noon games are usually not the best for people to attend.
most like to shop before a game or get set up for tailgating or something along those lines.
Noon games just make it hard for either... I know the wife's could shop after but I think a early season noon game I'd be to hot and sweaty to want to do that myself.
I also think this year is the same as last year with some stuff going on campus for students that will hold most students from attending.

Noon games are usually not the best for people to attend.
most like to shop before a game or get set up for tailgating or something along those lines.
Noon games just make it hard for either... I know the wife's could shop after but I think a early season noon game I'd be to hot and sweaty to want to do that myself.
I also think this year is the same as last year with some stuff going on campus for students that will hold most students from attending.

It's a combo of noon game, MAC opponent, Labor Day weekend, and campus events for students. It won't be a pathetic 30,000 person crowd but we're not going to sell a game like this out.

Reactions: Blouman and Tskware
The opponent should not be an excuse for this. This is week 1. It should not matter who the heck we are playing. Everyone should be excited to get the chance to see who we are as a football team in 2019 and excited that football is back. That alone should bring fans into the stands. I think this argument works for a game in the middle of October, but doesn't really care a lot of weight for game 1, IMO.
Full on agree. I would hate going two levels down, aka P5 vs. FCS or G5 vs D2, but these games keep college football alive. There are too many good high school athletes for all good players to play at P5 then just not play G5 at all and separate completely. These are good for the sport. In week 1, everyone should be starved for football and this should draw fair. Not SEC East play in game good, but better than EMU the following week and Tennessee Martin in November.

55k would be a good crowd. Do y'all hit that coming off a Citrus bowl win? If you don't surpass 50k, that's a promotion problem.

Just my opinion, but the boys not going because the girls aren’t going, would those type fans in the seats really be an asset anyway? Sure it’s nice if the stadium looks full for tv and all, but noise is a much better help for the team imo, and those type fans aren’t making nothing but giggly noises.

Yea the Sororities are having Rush Week the girls involved in this will not be at game.

So this needs to change in the future. Someone needs to approach the Panhellenic board, and each sorority, and ask them to schedule their rush week on a week that UK plays a road game, or to do it before the season. Tell them how important they are to the fanbase and that they are needed.

I looked at 6 or 7 other schools (Tennessee, Ole Miss, USC, Georgia, Alabama, TAMU, and Auburn) and all of them were before the season started. They either wrapped up last week or the week before. The only one that didn't was Ole Miss and they apparently wrap up the week they play Alabama on the road. Many of them actually end recruitment before classes even begin.

Reactions: wyldecat
So this needs to change in the future. Someone needs to approach the Panhellenic board, and each sorority, and ask them to schedule their rush week on a week that UK plays a road game, or to do it before the season. Tell them how important they are to the fanbase and that they are needed.

I looked at 6 or 7 other schools (Tennessee, Ole Miss, USC, Georgia, Alabama, TAMU, and Auburn) and all of them were before the season started. They either wrapped up last week or the week before. The only one that didn't was Ole Miss and they apparently wrap up the week they play Alabama on the road. Many of them actually end recruitment before classes even begin.

Agree 100%. What happened I think is the Noon kick-off this year. If the game was after 3pm this year I believe things been fine. Still something should have been done this year to adjust to game start time.

The sororities used to do it the week before classes started but UK wanted every freshman to go to K-week. This is why UK made the sororities push rush week back to the first week of classes. This same problem arose last year with the first home game and for the most part the student section still showed up.

Will be my daughters first UK game as an incoming freshmen.. She is hoping to round up a bunch of her dorm floor neighbors to go as a group. UK puts on a great orientation week for new students and made it easy to pick up tickets.... didn't oversell the football.. maybe could have pushed a little harder.. hopefully non Greek students will represent.. keep the winning ways and folks will come..

It's just a different day and time. Big screen TVs, no traffic, 1/20 of the cost, 12:00 start, mid-major opponent. People either just don't have the disposable income or prefer to spend it on the better games. I couldn't imagine what the draw would be after a losing season. Even most of the traditional powers have trouble selling out with a mediocre opponent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT