ADVERTISEMENT

Losing my mom

How difficult it has been to watch my mom become less of the person I once knew. Her body is here, but her mind is fading quickly. Who we were together, she has forgotten and those two people are lost.

I’m focusing on the best of memories and all the love she has provided the family over the years. Doing nothing for her is the kindest thing I can do for her. Death hurts us still living. Heaven is the greatest reward for those going through this. I’m praying this will be enough to carry us the rest of the way.
My Mom died in November. It is a tough and bitter thing. But in the very end, it was a blessing. She was not herself the last few days. My thoughts and prayers to you.

How difficult it has been to watch my mom become less of the person I once knew. Her body is here, but her mind is fading quickly. Who we were together, she has forgotten and those two people are lost.

I’m focusing on the best of memories and all the love she has provided the family over the years. Doing nothing for her is the kindest thing I can do for her. Death hurts us still living. Heaven is the greatest reward for those going through this. I’m praying this will be enough to carry us the rest of the way.
I'm praying for you this morning, sir.

My thoughts are with you NC. It is the most difficult thing to go through I have ever experienced.

I can tell by how much it hurts you that she was a great mom. That’s the way it works.

My only advice is take it day by day and remember the smiles. The laughs. The good times. They are worth more than all the gold in the world.

I can still hear my moms voice. Sometimes grounding me. Sometimes hugging me. But her memory always makes me smile. And cry a little.

Love from BBN to you and your family!!

Sorry you have to go through this. I didnt want to open this thread for a while. Went through it with my Dad. It hurts, no getting around it. Sucks. But you will get through it. Dont ever hold back your emotions during this time. You get time alone, let it flow bro.

I understand what you are going through. I lost my mother last September (the day before my birthday). She went through a long, slow decline of several years. By the time she passed, she was just a shell of what she had been. It was extremely difficult. I will tell you this. With the passage of time, memories of the beautiful, vibrant woman she was and the good times replaces the pain and suffering of her last few years. In a way, you get her back.

Sending my positive thoughts and hopes to you, OP. I lost my mom in 2018 to cancer. She was 55 and I was 25. She was the reason I became a UK fan. Kentucky basketball is what we bonded over the most. I miss her most hearing the school fight song after a big win.

It is a hole in your heart and world that will never be filled. Just be thankful for the times and love you shared. If posting on this board is a good outlet for you, by all means, we will support you.

My prayers are with you and your family. My mom is 89 and I feel so fortunate to still have her. She is slowing down fast and I don’t know how much time is left for her to be as we are now. I see subtle changes and am just trying to be with her as much as I can. I can’t imagine how it will be when I can’t see or talk to her anymore. Stay strong and keep the faith.

Prayers, my Dad passed this past weekend 😢 funeral today

In 2019 I lost my grandmother to dementia and the last year of her life she was just there, she didn’t recognize my grandfather my dad or the rest of my family, the last week she just laid there and the look behind her eyes was empty like nothing left was there, it’s sad because dementia and Alzheimer’s is a slow burner and it’s really sad to see. But prayers for you your mother and the rest of your family

I’m sorry for your loss OP. Anticipatory grief is horrible. Wen through it with both my parents.

But losing the last parent is the hardest. And when it’s your Mom? Doubly so.

Because for young men, and you at women too, Mom was the comforter for most of us. When you had a horrible day and all you needed was a hug? Mom was there. And as we grew older and stronger, we wanted to protect our Moms as they did for us.

And the hardest thing to learn in life is that there’s some things you just can’t protect them from. Same goes for kids. And it hurts. When I realized there was nothing more I could do for my Mom after 13 years of caregiving it was a stab in the heart. It t felt like abject failure. But of course it’s not true. It’s just hard.

Hugs to you OP. And damn that horrid disease. Damn it straight to Hell.

So sorry to see what's happening with your mom. My wife lost her mother due to Parkinson's. Diseases of the mind are in many ways worse than things like cancer, heart failure, etc. My mom and dad have both gone home to be with the Lord, and as you say "heaven is the greatest reward".
They’re cruel diseases. Ones I argue with the Father about often.

Cancer is awful but when these diseases make you forget you have loved ones and joys? Horribly horribly unfair.

My prayers go out to you my BBN brother, it so hard to see the person you love so much suffer it’s just heart breaking. I am praying for you and your family

I'm sorry to hear this. I can't even imagine what this must be like. I feel for you brutha. Hey though you'll always have those happy memories and can't nobody EVER take them away from you.

Also, I wonder why this is such a common thing these days. Maybe it always has been a common thing of getting dementia/ ppl losing their minds. I don't remember this always being a thing, or not as often anyways. Nowadays you hear it so much of ppl having to deal with this. Or could it just be that I'm young at close to 40 and it was always as big of a thing as it is now and I just never noticed or ppl didn't talk about it. You'd hear of ppl having this issue but just not as often. Am I right or wrong? Serious question here im asking here.

God bless you I watched my mother fade away with that dreaded disease she thought she wasn't in her house and wanted to go home, I suppose they remember their childhood home. She was a great blessing to us as she put her family first as most of that generation did, as tough as it is right now, I can tell you she will never leave you as long as you live, you will remember what she would have told you in any life situation that comes up. It is now your job to carry that on to the next generation. Praying for you in this difficult time.

I’m 30. Went to college in New York and managed the hoops team (we gave you/us a tough run in 2014), law school in Miami, live in Santa Fe, and am soon moving to Vegas. Last weekend, I spent Easter weekend in Boston with my parents. Even though we are very close, it was the first time realizing that they were getting, well, old. I have been in a funk since then. I have been a good son, but I always wished someone taught me about the fragility of life well before I realized how powerful it was. I also wish I cherished all the moments I spent with them. I might just ask my employer to work from home for a week, because I don’t know how much longer they have. We are nothing without family, and we don’t choose them. Prayers to yours.

May God be with your mother. He is with you and your family.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT