ADVERTISEMENT

Looking at the schedule, I just don’t see how we make the tournament.

Dec 5, 2007
Lexington
I’ll be very optimistic here:

Tennessee L 10-7
Georgia W 11-7
Texas A&M W 12-7
Vanderbilt W 13-7
Kansas L 13-8
Mississippi W 14-8
Florida W 15-8
Arkansas L 15-9
Georgia W 16-9
Mississippi State W 17-9
Tennessee L 17–10
Florida L 17-11
Auburn L 17-12
Vanderbilt W 18-12
Arkansas L 18-13

Again, I think this is an extremely
optimistic projection based on what we’ve seen… Does anyone believe we go 8-7 over the last 15 games? I gave them W’s for most of the weaker teams (they haven’t proven they can beat anyone on the road) and I split the florida games. 18-13 is not getting them in with 0 quality out of conference wins, probably 0 qualify conference wins also, and a bunch of bad losses. And let’s be honest, if they sneak in. They aren’t making it out of the first weekend. This is Kentucky basketball.

We really need to find a way to beat Kansas and UT at home. That's going to be our best bet to ensure we make the tourney. We're going to need the team at full strength for both those games and for the crowd to be there and be in it. I expect we'll drop a few games on the road to the mediocre SEC teams too.

Tennessee L 10-7
Georgia W 11-7
Texas A&M W 12-7
Vanderbilt W 13-7
Kansas L 13-8
Mississippi W 14-8
Florida W 15-8
Arkansas L 15-9
Georgia W 16-9
Mississippi State W 17-9
Tennessee L 17–10
Florida L 17-11
Auburn L 17-12
Vanderbilt W 18-12
Arkansas L 18-13

optimistic projection based on what we’ve seen… Does anyone believe we go 8-7 over the last 15 games? I gave them W’s for most of the weaker teams (they haven’t proven they can beat anyone on the road) and I split the florida games. 18-13 is not getting them in with 0 quality out of conference wins, probably 0 qualify conference wins also, and a bunch of bad losses. And let’s be honest, if they sneak in. They aren’t making it out of the first weekend. This is Kentucky basketball.
Texas A&M is looking like a loss to me, as well. I don't see this group winning ANY road game. We know how these teams play when UK comes to town. It's hard to win even when the team is tough as nails, and this team is soft as butter. Mark every road game a loss. Then count on us losing to Kansas, Tennessee, and Texas A&M at home. We won't hit 20 wins for sure. I'm figuring around 17, maybe 18. No chance at the NCAA-T.

We really need to find a way to beat Kansas and UT at home. That's going to be our best bet to ensure we make the tourney. We're going to need the team at full strength for both those games and for the crowd to be there and be in it. I expect we'll drop a few games on the road to the mediocre SEC teams too.
I just don’t see any way they can win Those games. Hope I’m wrong.

I just don’t see any way they can win Those games. Hope I’m wrong.
I mean I don't think we will win either but we probably have a better shot than we think. The team should be focused for those games and I think there's a better chance the fans will be there for those games and engaged. We generally play a lot better at home and I'm going to attribute a lot of the horrible loss to SC to Toppin being out and Cal making the terrible decision to start Collins and play him major minutes. If we're at full strength at home, we at least have a shot.

Reactions: jrpross
I mean I don't think we will win either but we probably have a better shot than we think. The team should be focused for those games and I think there's a better chance the fans will be there for those games and engaged. We generally play a lot better at home and I'm going to attribute a lot of the horrible loss to SC to Toppin being out and Cal making the terrible decision to start Collins and play him major minutes. If we're at full strength at home, we at least have a shot.
From the bottom of my heart Mcwildcats, I really do hope you're right. I do still see potential in this group of players, and Cal has shown he can turn teams around in a short time. Here's to hoping my friend. I wish I could find that same hope. I think I'm gonna record this Tennessee game Saturday and only watch it if we win. In fact, I may be doing that for the rest of the season. I hate watching my Cats lose and the stress isn't worth it. If they start winning some games, maybe I'll watch live.

Tennessee L 10-7
Georgia W 11-7
Texas A&M W 12-7
Vanderbilt W 13-7
Kansas L 13-8
Mississippi W 14-8
Florida W 15-8
Arkansas L 15-9
Georgia W 16-9
Mississippi State W 17-9
Tennessee L 17–10
Florida L 17-11
Auburn L 17-12
Vanderbilt W 18-12
Arkansas L 18-13

freaking genius. Just kidding, we will not make the tournament unless there are some very drastic changes.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
From the bottom of my heart Mcwildcats, I really do hope you're right. I do still see potential in this group of players, and Cal has shown he can turn teams around in a short time. Here's to hoping my friend. I wish I could find that same hope. I think I'm gonna record this Tennessee game Saturday and only watch it if we win. In fact, I may be doing that for the rest of the season. I hate watching my Cats lose and the stress isn't worth it. If they start winning some games, maybe I'll watch live.
I’ll probably have to start recording the games too. Losing at home to such a bad South Carolina team has crushed any hope I had for this team.

I was at the South Carolina game. I don’t get to go very often..maybe once every couple of years. A buddy of mine invited me. I thought sure I’d see em get a win against South Carolina in Rupp. Me and my friend were stunned! The first timeout when we were down like 15-2…you could really hear the boo’s.

Reactions: KYExtemper
That was coaching malpractice, starting Collins. Especially when it was obvious he couldn’t do anything in that game. I believe he played 20/21 minutes. Just insane to me.

Only 4 teams have received an at large bid with a Quad 4 loss.

Lunardi has us as first 4 out right now.🙄
Went from number 1 overall seed to first four out. Cal has totally fvcked this season up. Whatever issues there are, it’s his job to fix them. I’m just so damn disgusted with Cal. 🤦‍♂️

Went from number 1 overall seed to first four out. Cal has totally fvcked this season up. Whatever issues there are, it’s his job to fix them. I’m just so damn disgusted with Cal. 🤦‍♂️
I know and with a regional in Louisville. I was excited like in 2012 when I got to drive 15 mins to the games. Not gonna happen now.

I can’t believe what this season has turned out to be. What a terrible bummer we’ve had high hopes the last 3 years and they’ve been awful some of the all time worst. You throw in coronavirus and UK fans need a successful basketball team in difficult times. 4 years without a tournament win is unfriggin acceptable.

South Carolina was the worst team we'll play from here on out. This could and probably will turn really ugly. I can't believe this team is as bad as what I witnessed Tues.

We aren’t going to the tourney. Give up the ghost guys. This is a very very bad team with an even worse coach. Seasons over. Don’t do this to yourselves. Acceptance is the first step…

Reactions: 1009

Tennessee L 10-7
Georgia W 11-7
Texas A&M W 12-7
Vanderbilt W 13-7
Kansas L 13-8
Mississippi W 14-8
Florida W 15-8
Arkansas L 15-9
Georgia W 16-9
Mississippi State W 17-9
Tennessee L 17–10
Florida L 17-11
Auburn L 17-12
Vanderbilt W 18-12
Arkansas L 18-13

Not predicting it by any stretch based off what we've seen but I think "extremely optimistic" is more like 11-4 or 10-5.

To explain myself I'd say we either wake up Saturday put up a fight and either nearly win or win and it spearheads some confidence. They then go 3 game win streak, takeout Kansas at Rupp and are off to races, win a total of 8-9 in a row. Then take a lump or two on the road to finish out 11-4 or 10-5.

IF a couple of those wins can be over Kansas and UT, maybe even Arkansas they will sneak it with a regular season record of 21-10 or 20-11.

Not gonna lie, hard to hold your breath on this right now. Just thinking "extremely optimistic" is more like this...

To get in the tourney I think we must win at least 2 of 5 vs Kansas, Arkansas, UT and at least one of them need to be over KU and UT.

Tennessee L 10-7
Georgia W 11-7
Texas A&M W 12-7
Vanderbilt W 13-7
Kansas W 14-7
Mississippi W 15-7
Florida W 16-7
Arkansas W 17-7
Georgia W 18-7
Mississippi State W 19-7
Tennessee L 19–8
Florida W 20-8
Auburn L 20-9
Vanderbilt W 21-9
Arkansas L 21-10

Last edited:
Not predicting it by any stretch based off what we've seen but I think "extremely optimistic" is more like 11-4 or 10-5.

To explain myself I'd say we either wake up Saturday put up a fight and either nearly win or win and it spearheads some confidence. They then go 3 game win streak, takeout Kansas at Rupp and are off to races, win a total of 8-9 in a row. Then take a lump or two on the road to finish out 11-4 or 10-5.

IF a couple of those wins can be over Kansas and UT, maybe even Arkansas they will sneak it with a regular season record of 21-10 or 20-11.

Not gonna lie, hard to hold your breath on this right now. Just thinking "extremely optimistic" is more like this...

To get in the tourney I think we must win at least 2 of 5 vs Kansas, Arkansas, UT and at least one of them need to be over KU and UT.

Tennessee L 10-7
Georgia W 11-7
Texas A&M W 12-7
Vanderbilt W 13-7
Kansas W 14-7
Mississippi W 15-7
Florida W 16-7
Arkansas W 17-7
Georgia W 18-7
Mississippi State W 19-7
Tennessee L 19–8
Florida W 20-8
Auburn L 20-9
Vanderbilt W 21-9
Arkansas L 21-10
This is what I’m hoping also. If we miss the tournament….Man!

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Texas A&M is looking like a loss to me, as well. I don't see this group winning ANY road game. We know how these teams play when UK comes to town. It's hard to win even when the team is tough as nails, and this team is soft as butter. Mark every road game a loss. Then count on us losing to Kansas, Tennessee, and Texas A&M at home. We won't hit 20 wins for sure. I'm figuring around 17, maybe 18. No chance at the NCAA-T.
The probable outcome that Cal won’t hit 20 wins with this group is crazy. Imagine in the summer if someone said this group is terrible after the Bahamas.

"Hey, fans? Be mad at me. I can take it. I have forty million reasons why I can."

Cal, probably, at the end of the season

I was pretty sure the tourney was off the table BEFORE the South Carolina game. Now I'm very sure. Oh well, there's next year if the recruits decide to still come here and hurt their draft stock.

Tennessee L 10-7
Georgia W 11-7
Texas A&M W 12-7
Vanderbilt W 13-7
Kansas L 13-8
Mississippi W 14-8
Florida W 15-8
Arkansas L 15-9
Georgia W 16-9
Mississippi State W 17-9
Tennessee L 17–10
Florida L 17-11
Auburn L 17-12
Vanderbilt W 18-12
Arkansas L 18-13

You are more optimistic than me. I see us only winning maybe 2 on road and losing 3 more at home. I do not think we make NCAAT, hope I am wrong.

this year is a bust and waste of Schwibee's talent. Next year, if CAL stays, I guess we will see if his system will work with these elite players like pre-2015. Could be a tough couple years. I have already canceled my SEC tournament reservations. WASTED SEASON

Don’t bank on ANY wins just look at the SC game.

To be honest I would not be surprised to see a player opt out and say they are hurt/injured or something like that. Just so their draft stock is not damaged anymore or their portal stock is not damaged anymore than it already is.

This season nothing crazy like that would surprise me.

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
Pathetic, what is our record going to be the last 3 years? Was Tubby this bad at the end, didn’t he still win 23-24 games a year? Another disappointing year, maybe it’s because we need that new practice facility.

Tennessee L 10-7
Georgia W 11-7
Texas A&M W 12-7
Vanderbilt W 13-7
Kansas L 13-8
Mississippi W 14-8
Florida W 15-8
Arkansas L 15-9
Georgia W 16-9
Mississippi State W 17-9
Tennessee L 17–10
Florida L 17-11
Auburn L 17-12
Vanderbilt W 18-12
Arkansas L 18-13

The team I saw Tuesday night won’t finish above .500

I think the tourney shot is gone. I felt it was gone before the SC game because we weren't going to get any quality wins

I still believe this is a good team

Cal just has no idea what to do with them. His investment in Wheeler insures that at best we'll have grind it out close scoring games and no idea how to close them out. UK is where 3 point shooter come to run around the perimeter hoping to get 4 seconds of isolation to square up and shoot, while the entire team clanks free throws

several coaches would have this team in the conversation as being a final four contender and competing to win the SEC. Just not the highest paid one.

So do you want UK to beat Kansas if it means one more season of CCC coaching UK?
Look, I think you're trying really hard to survive here, but shut up. Nobody here gives a flying rip about Kansas like you think we do.

Every time you post, it's about Kansas.

Here's the thing, you better hope UK doesn't figure things out before KU comes to Rupp, because this team has the talent to beat KU and beat them good, especially in Rupp.

And another thing, simply beating KU, isn't going to be the deciding factor on Cal's fate, just how big of a deal do you think KU is? Did you already forget what hapoened in the Phog last year?

This team has all the pieces to turn it around, but I have zero faith in Calipari to do it.

He has been going the wrong direction for three months, so now, he has to find a way to fix the problem between the players (remove Wheeler) and make a U-turn with the right players on the court.

I have no faith in Cal to fix these issues.

The worst part is, the SEC schedule favored us this year, which is rare.

Also, take a look around, there are zero powerhouse teams this year. There are no teams that have such supreme talent that we would have no shot at beating. This season had all the ingredients for a title run, but Cal totally mismanaged every aspect of it.

Seriously, Cal needs to bench Wheeler, change the offense, switch defenses and do it all on the fly. Does anyone think any of that is going to happen? I don't.

And for the love of God, no more Collins. The guy just jogs around the court trying to hide. WTF man.

We won’t likely make the tournament. Too much “stuff” going on around the program. Coaching issues, team turmoil, etc.

I said we were a bubble team on Dec 22, got blasted. We are now out unless we can pull some shockers. It’s still possible, but looking like we will be playing an NIT game at Memorial. Maybe, if we are lucky to get the home game.

Look, I think you're trying really hard to survive here, but shut up. Nobody here gives a flying rip about Kansas like you think we do.

Every time you post, it's about Kansas.

Here's the thing, you better hope UK doesn't figure things out before KU comes to Rupp, because this team has the talent to beat KU and beat them good, especially in Rupp.

And another thing, simply beating KU, isn't going to be the deciding factor on Cal's fate, just how big of a deal do you think KU is? Did you already forget what hapoened in the Phog last year?
Could not agree more. The Jayhawk fan is trying way too hard... I wanted to reply with a post similar to yours. However, the hypothetical posted is a really interesting question.
I am past the point that Cal should go... I don't think the promise of next year's class should save him... nor do i think that beating any particular team this year should allow him to stay. We need to move on and not have these same discussions every year.
As for Kansas fans on here... they are feeling good now, but their current lofty perch is tenuous at best. Their luck factor has been through the roof and they have no length. They will get no easy games in the Big12 this year, and Iowa State is very likely to knock them off this weekend... then Kansas State on Monday... TCU, Baylor, etc... better to stay humble, than come here and post, only to disappear when it goes south.
I give us at least an even shot (or a slight advantage) to beat them in Rupp... we have the talent and our kids will be energized. Regardless, Cal has lost all credibility and should step down, history will be much more kind to him if he does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT