ADVERTISEMENT

Looking at the box score

yoshukai

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2002
Harrodsburg
Went to my Grandsons basketball game and taped the game . Looking at the score box. Bradshaw must have had a terrible game . Looks like Reed was the only player with a positive (+4 ) +/- , besides Burkes who only played 1 minute . Gave up a lot of rebounds and allowed a mediocre offensive team to score 97 points. Looks like we crapped the bed in the overtime . Am I missing anything?

Bradshaw was every bit the spectator I was, especially the few minutes he was actually in. Tough one for him, A&M went right at him, he was a non factor because of foul trouble for 95% of the game.

Reactions: yoshukai
Bradshaw was every bit the spectator I was, especially the few minutes he was actually in. Tough one for him, A&M went right at him, he was a non factor because of foul trouble for 95% of the game.
The kid has no clue how to actually play defense. It's clear now that he blocked a bunch of shots at the HS level that he can't block at this level, and he must not have gotten called for extending his arms downward in HS instead of going straight up, because his arms are almost parallel to the ground when he's defending shorter players - it's painful to watch and shows an absence of fundamentals. Was he ever actually coached?

Went to my Grandsons basketball game and taped the game . Looking at the score box. Bradshaw must have had a terrible game . Looks like Reed was the only player with a positive (+4 ) +/- , besides Burkes who only played 1 minute . Gave up a lot of rebounds and allowed a mediocre offensive team to score 97 points. Looks like we crapped the bed in the overtime . Am I missing anything?

That about sums it up. My guess is the defense and officiating in your grandsons game was better than the UK game.

I hate duke's Williams, but he brought out Auburns' scouting report at half time and said do not let Taylor drive right and don't let Bradford drive left (or visa versa, forgot who's who) and it seemed like we had no simple game plan like that - stop the left guy from going left and the right guy from going right.

Not really

I thought after the Florida game, Bradshaw with new confidence would be different. Unfortunately, with some exceptions, highly rated big men often coming from High School didn't face many similar sized and talented or experienced players. They are slow to develop and take several years. With the new era of one and done that development doesn't happen in college. One thing seems clear with Bradshaw, he needs to toughen up. Do we really need him to be a so-so jump shot shooter at 7 feet?

As we age, having to decide between our grandkids activities and UK basketball can be tough; I am glad my grandson's game was for today.
There are so many posts about the game; pretty much everyone's option of it is correct but overall, the things that caused UK to lose are things that can be corrected where as Texas AM may just well played their best game of the year and may not be able to duplicate it down the road.

Defense...yes, UK needs to get better. At times I think we are like that old Long Beach St team where who ever had the ball last won the game; often the score would be 100+ on both sides.

Rebounding...I thought we did a good job for the most part but when we did have a lapse, it killed us.

Shooting...For a road game, it wasn't that bad. An area that was a concern was around the basket. We had several close in shots that AM affected us had we went up a little stronger, we might had scored a few of these. I would like to see Sheppard get more shots; DJ drive more to the basket and the bigs follow; go to a press of some kind when Dilly is in the game.

What I saw that I was concerned about was how many rebounds that were tipped out for anyone to grab and many of these bounced around for a second or two before AM grabbed it. I remember two for sure that I was screaming "grab the damn ball" as it was just bouncing right by a UK player.

I still do not understand how they called a goal tending only 4-5 minutes after it happened and even then when it happened, UK had the rebound. That was a 4 point turnaround.

If anyone thought any team would go through the SEC without a few loses is kidding themselves.
Losing sucks no matter what. Question is, do we learn from it and get better going forward?

So I know a lot of pro wrestling might be staged....well when Bradshaw can't even play half the game...I just can't fathom him being that bad to commit so many fouls.

Reactions: Oldbluefart
Maybe edwards knows that refs will call willy nilly fouls if he even gets close to the opponents body.

That about sums it up. My guess is the defense and officiating in your grandsons game was better than the UK game.
Well I guess the defense was pretty good since the score was 10 - 8 (grandson had 6!) . But part of that was 2nd graders playing on 10ft goals ( thought that was weird) . The officiating was ”inconsistent “ , lol .

Last edited:
Well I the defense was pretty good since the score was 10 - 8 (grandson had 6!) . But part of that was 2nd graders playing on 10ft goals ( thought that was weird) . The officiating was ”inconsistent “ , lol .
The 10 foot goals for little kids is not just weird; it's also a little stupid. It just leads to a lot of them already having bad shooting form baked in when they get older.

The 10 foot goals for little kids is not just weird; it's also a little stupid. It just leads to a lot of them already having bad shooting form baked in when they get older.
I’m with you. When I was in school we had a thing called “junior pro” and played with smaller balls and shorter rims .

I wish I had missed it as well!

• Haha
Radford driving, Taylor scoring, Mitchell and Bradshaw terrible and it seemed like they had too many chances on misses on the offensive side. Overall jist of it. We need Thiero to help off set effort plays.
Not sure I‘d call 8pts, 6 assists, 13 rebounds terrible for Mitchell. Oh, and 44 minutes played.

I’m with you. When I was in school we had a thing called “junior pro” and played with smaller balls and shorter rims .
I played Junior Pro then came back in college and refereed the small kids in Junior Pro. I would dunk for them during timeouts. 9 ft goals, it was fun.

• Haha
Well I the defense was pretty good since the score was 10 - 8 (grandson had 6!) . But part of that was 2nd graders playing on 10ft goals ( thought that was weird) . The officiating was ”inconsistent “ , lol .
I did a couple of years of youth basketball; the very youngest kids. Consistency is a fine line that's hard to walk at that level. You can't call everything, obviously, so you have to concentrate on the 3/4 things the kids need to learn the quickest. Always lenient w/ travels and ball-handling errors, but still have to draw the line somewhere. It's easy for a coach to think he's coming up on the short side of the line.

Edit: the kids 5-8 played on 8 foot goals w/ the smaller girls' ball

I hate duke's Williams, but he brought out Auburns' scouting report at half time and said do not let Taylor drive right and don't let Bradford drive left (or visa versa, forgot who's who) and it seemed like we had no simple game plan like that - stop the left guy from going left and the right guy from going right.
Scouting report, we don’t need no freaking scouting reports.

Not sure I‘d call 8pts, 6 assists, 13 rebounds terrible for Mitchell. Oh, and 44 minutes played.
I was going by the way he had been playing. Missed some key threes and turned the ball over some. Not blaming him, but if he plays the way he has been playing all season we win. But can't expect a perfect game all the time. Could also say the effort of going after misses hurt us compared to them. Also, why could we not keep Radford from driving? I just mentioned things that would have made a difference.

I did a couple of years of youth basketball; the very youngest kids. Consistency is a fine line that's hard to walk at that level. You can't call everything, obviously, so you have to concentrate on the 3/4 things the kids need to learn the quickest. Always lenient w/ travels and ball-handling errors, but still have to draw the line somewhere. It's easy for a coach to think he's coming up on the short side of the line.

Edit: the kids 5-8 played on 8 foot goals w/ the smaller girls' ball
Yeah I was joking about the “inconsistent “ thing . They let some kids get away with some things and others not as much. Kinda like SEC refs , lol .Depending on their skill level. I just love watching them play and have fun though.

A&M got too many shots from our misses and from the offensive glass. Enough to get in somewhat of a rhythm from the 3 PT line.

One writer said our effort and intensity on defense is what is lacking. I know they was wanting to slow down the 3 playing man but how could you just continue to let Radford drive and get 28 mostly easy points?

Bradshaw's foul trouble can directly be linked to the guards inability to keep their guy from blowing by them. Radford drew at least 3 of the 4 fouls on Bradshaw because he was able to attack Bradshaw's help defense.

One writer said our effort and intensity on defense is what is lacking. I know they was wanting to slow down the 3 playing man but how could you just continue to let Radford drive and get 28 mostly easy points?
Defense is about desire. You have to want to work hard and get down in a defensive stance and stop someone from scoring on you. That’s the key. These guys seem happy to trade baskets. It’s good that they don’t get rattled when teams score on them, but at some point they have to get pissed that teams are scoring at will on them and start taking it personally. A good defender is one who hates to get scored on. Right now, I don’t see anyone on this team besides maybe Thiero who takes pride in shutting people down. It is what it is, but I can’t believe a Cal coached team with this much athletic ability is struggling this much with defense and rebounding.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT